Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Living in Whistler being able to dress in head-to-toe goretex is a necessity for the days where we get 100mm of rain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

kiimo posted:

I'm not sure if anybody posted this but I came across this video today and drat this dude carves like a beast. So graceful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h70kgLV2_Vg
Ryan Knapton is an awesome carver. Aside from the European hardbooters on race boards, Ryan is one of the best carvers I see on youtube especially for someone on soft boots. His boards are all super stiff and super wide custom Doneks so seeing him butter stuff is amazing considering what he rides. He used to ride a Custom X and he used to butter that thing like it was a Process.

Also if I recall correctly, WL Gore has standards for things like seams and zippers so that anything with a Goretex label meets the proper waterproofing standards. Other fabrics can be just as waterproof or even better but if the clothing manufacturer buys it then puts in bad seams or zippers it can still leak through there.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Feb 11, 2020

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

highme posted:

It's raining so hard at Meadows right now. Let's go have a slopestyle comp.

I spent a solid 5 hours standing in the driving rain. It was so miserable the judges tried to call the event after the first run. The entire contents of my backpack were soaked through, but I stayed dry in that lovely Gore Pro on my Guch jacket.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
Had my first warranty claim for any snowboarding equipment. Sole is starting to separate from the boot above the right heel after about 30 days on the pair.

Figured I'd get told to pound sand since I bought them in November 2018 but I just got notified they will send me a new pair once they receive mine.

Anyway, credit to DEELUXE. I really liked the boots but wasn't too sure about the brand. I'm also happy I held onto my old boots as a backup.. can use those for a few trips while I wait on the post.

Macnult
Jul 7, 2013

Found the perfect Gore Tex fits hidden away at my work:

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
How worried should I be about altitude sickness? Flying from east coast into Denver and staying in Winter Park for 4 nights and googling "altitude sickness" has me convinced I'm going to get 0 hours of sleep and my heart is going to explode.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Drink more water than you normally do and don't rage too hard. You'll probably be fine. I've gone skiing out west thrice and never had any issues other than "I'm tired from hiking up this hill sooner."

That being said, a buddy of mine who also lives on the east coast, and skied out west regularly growing up, got rekt by altitude sickness when we went to Park City. The rest of us were fine. YMMV.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Plank Walker posted:

How worried should I be about altitude sickness? Flying from east coast into Denver and staying in Winter Park for 4 nights and googling "altitude sickness" has me convinced I'm going to get 0 hours of sleep and my heart is going to explode.

It hits everyone differently but I wouldn't be too worried. Take it easy and drink a shitload of water like the other person said. Think you've had enough water? Wrong, drink more.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Unrelated: Got my first turns of the year in last Saturday at a local hill. I didn't realize how much I missed it, and I already felt more confident than I did last year. Girlfriend grew up skiing and her knees went bad in college, turns out she can still manage it for 3-4 hours before they start to hurt. We're hoping to do the Alps next year if her knees hold out, she misses it badly. :unsmith:

Also, Brahmas on the east coast are like cheating compared to rentals. Already hosed up the topsheet though, bummer.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Plank Walker posted:

It affects everyone differently. I don't really get any physical effects from it (like headaches or nausea), but I do probably get tired slightly easier. My friend sometimes starts to get a headache right around Berthoud Pass, although I don't know if that happens much anymore since he's now lived in Denver for a few years.

As others have said, just drink some extra water and listen to your body.

Also as a tip, make sure you have a bottle of Advil (NOT aspirin/tylenol) with you. Take a few with your lunch and then take a few when your done skiing for the day. And if you're still sore in the morning, take couple with breakfast.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

We always advise people to start drinking a buttload of water a week before they even come up. Get your body wayyyy too hydrated so you are not trying to play catch-up while in the mountains.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Also your lips will be chapped constantly. Bring chapstick.

casque
Mar 17, 2009
Focusing on extra/excess hydration when going to elevation has been the recommendation for a long time, be careful not to overdo it: http://www.altitudemedicine.org/myths-about-altitude/

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Also your lips will be chapped constantly. Bring chapstick.

just do this anyway.

I avoid any issues with my snow gear losing its water repellent capabilities by never, ever washing them. Thats always been the turning point between my gear keeping my dry or not.

I ride in australia mostly so the moment you get any snow on you its immediately water.

Macnult
Jul 7, 2013

IIRC my first AV on this site was the Drink Water logo. I was actually given a free hoodie during a Nitro clinic when my shop carried them about a decade ago. Unfortunately, I lost that hoodie to a very unkind ex, so all I can ask of you is to please drink more water.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
The elevation sickness convo reminds me of the gondola trip I had last year with some American east coasters who were all talking about how much the elevation sickness was hitting them so hard and they were going to take their special pills because of it and how thin the air was in Whistler village.

The village is at 600m elevation, or 1800 feet.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Seriously considering getting a humidifier to bring with me on trips to Tahoe. Hydration and chapstick I can deal with, but the dry air at night (esp with heaters running) gets to me.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
When I was at Breck I stayed at Ski Hill Place right next to the lifts which was at 9,950 ft. I had no problems with riding all day and really didn't feel the altitude except at night. When trying to sleep, I'd wake up with a headache or feel short of breath. Oddly that never happened during the day or while riding.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Laserface posted:

just do this anyway.

I avoid any issues with my snow gear losing its water repellent capabilities by never, ever washing them. Thats always been the turning point between my gear keeping my dry or not.

For goretex you need to wash it to keep it waterproof.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Yuns posted:

When I was at Breck I stayed at Ski Hill Place right next to the lifts which was at 9,950 ft. I had no problems with riding all day and really didn't feel the altitude except at night. When trying to sleep, I'd wake up with a headache or feel short of breath. Oddly that never happened during the day or while riding.

Headaches mean you aren’t pounding enough water.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

luminalflux posted:

Seriously considering getting a humidifier to bring with me on trips to Tahoe. Hydration and chapstick I can deal with, but the dry air at night (esp with heaters running) gets to me.

Don't blame you, I still have trouble with the dryness overnight living here. Haven't done a humidifier yet but sleep with water at hand all night to drink.

The last few days I had a buddy from college ski team visiting; no fresh snow, but at least sunshine despite high winds and below freezing temps after a thaw that kept things firm. I'd tuned my enforcers figuring on that but it still slicker than expected. Buddy broke out his 200cm straight skis for the second day of skiing. Then we went for all the terrible iced over rough terrain anyway, and hit a chute a good bit narrower than 200cm.

Naturally we both did the opposite of what our equipment made reasonable and he kickturned down it while I straightened it out.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B8aGn_KHtiN/

Decided last night to get my old GS skis in shape for the hard snow today. Despite them delaminating in two spots on both skis, and my plug boots being 15 years old and very uncomfortable, had a great bluebird day mostly bombing the steeps.

Top of Siberia at Squaw had serious headwinds; you could tuck straight down it and stay probably under 30mph

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Lolling hard at your buddy being suspended in the chute by his tip and tail.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

ImplicitAssembler posted:

none of my stuff is goretex so this is fine.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Not just goretex. Most materials need to be washed to get waterproofing back

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Also double post but dammmmmn today was so good.

https://youtu.be/HBJqu6p2ej0

https://youtu.be/qNZ8vjT1Mi0

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

No, goretex is a physical waterproofing, not a chemical one. It's just small pores that let water vapor escape out but are too small to let liquid water through due to surface tension.
Your garment might have additional chemical water repellents applied, they might need waking, but they are not essential for goretex working.
Goretex stops working when the fabric gets stretched, particularly the seams. Tiny tears make the pores big enough to let water through.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

well gently caress maybe i should be washing my clothes then

does nikwax actually do anything? or is that what you guys are referring to?

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Laserface posted:

well gently caress maybe i should be washing my clothes then

does nikwax actually do anything? or is that what you guys are referring to?

You can wash all your gore-tex. They recommend it. The vast majority of Gore has DWR. Use Nikwax's tech wash to wash it and then dry it (check on the tag if you should) as tumble drying is important to the process.

Here is Gore's website about it: https://www.gore-tex.com/restoring-water-repellency

P.S. I am up in BC and it is just the best.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

spwrozek posted:

Did you not see my post or are you just being insensitive

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

spwrozek posted:

You can wash all your gore-tex. They recommend it. The vast majority of Gore has DWR. Use Nikwax's tech wash to wash it and then dry it (check on the tag if you should) as tumble drying is important to the process.

Here is Gore's website about it: https://www.gore-tex.com/restoring-water-repellency

Im home now but I had a truly incredible time at W'water and Red (and just bumming around in Nelson/Rossland with buddies) and I will 100% be back next year :)

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Steve French posted:

Did you not see my post or are you just being insensitive

Legit looks like you had a good time. Love that photo in the chute. My comment was mostly for LF since he was up here just a few weeks ago.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

spwrozek posted:

Legit looks like you had a good time. Love that photo in the chute. My comment was mostly for LF since he was up here just a few weeks ago.

I'm just giving you a hard time. Jealous as hell because Tahoe has been dry

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Oh and the biggest storm so far in 2020 I was in Denver for work

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

I'm heading up to Northstar weekend after Pres Day, what i'm hearing is that I should just bring hockey skates?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

luminalflux posted:

I'm heading up to Northstar weekend after Pres Day, what i'm hearing is that I should just bring hockey skates?

There is still snow, but it's not fresh

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.

Macnult posted:

Found the perfect Gore Tex fits hidden away at my work:

Skiing slash heavy weather fishing

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

luminalflux posted:

It'll depend on temperatures. It doesn't look like there'll be snow in the forecast before then unfortunately but if it's reasonably warm the snow should soften up fine during the day. The runs I took on south facing terrain after 11am or so yesterday were fine. Not sure whether you'll have issues at Northstar though given there's not really anything south facing? Maybe the backside facing west gets enough sun.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Nice.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Rude :nsamad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Does anyone have recommendations for beacon, shovel, and probe? I don't need super crazy stuff, just lightweight and reliable. I don't really have any inclination to ride in dangerous terrain or conditions, but I do gotta have the stuff just in case.