Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

HisMajestyBOB posted:

Are... are your kids going to die at age 18?

Climate Change is a hell of a thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

I didn't find it until I was in college and binging on NWN2, but... yep.

I seem to remember I hopped on just as they were starting the book that became Blood Runs In The Family.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
The first then-current page I remember is Xykon looking over the big shot of the hobgoblin citty, and the words "I think I just had an evilgasm." Looking back, that page came out in 2005. I have been reading this comic for fifteen loving years.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
I started reading it just before the big showdown with Xykon at the end of the first dungeon. I'm not even kidding when I say I can remember which pages were "current" during significant moments of my life.

Mikl fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Feb 18, 2020

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

I vividly remember getting to the villager setting up their swindles aimed at adventurers, clicking the next button, and nothing happening.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I started reading in 10th grade after a referral from Nodwick. The hex forest was the newest strip

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I started right around #605.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Early double figures for me, maybe even before the linear guild arrived?

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
I started right around the start of the battle for Azure City. The panel where Redcloak fires titanium elementals. I don't remember what link I followed to get there.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

I was like... 534 or something? right when Haley, Belkar, and Celia escape Azure City.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Soup du Jour posted:

I was like... 534 or something? right when Haley, Belkar, and Celia escape Azure City.

I think that's when I hopped on, too. It's been at least 10 years for me and that kind of hurts to think about.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

Malpais Legate posted:

I think that's when I hopped on, too. It's been at least 10 years for me and that kind of hurts to think about.

It was early 2008, so things are worse than you thought

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

I probably started reading the comic earlier, but the first time I remember being current was during the Evil V storyline

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
The first gate still wasn't blown up when I started reading and now I feel old

World Famous W fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Feb 12, 2020

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Yeah, I forget where exactly I first found out about it, but I remember that the most recent strip was the one where Roy finally got resurrected.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

PMush Perfect posted:

The first then-current page I remember is Xykon looking over the big shot of the hobgoblin citty, and the words "I think I just had an evilgasm." Looking back, that page came out in 2005. I have been reading this comic for fifteen loving years.

You've been following it for 15 years. Can't have been reading it for 15 because there's enough months without updates that you could probably scratch 5 of those years off the total.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

I was in middle school when I started reading. They were rescuing Elan from the bandits.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think the first page I read was Nale!!!! Nale!!!! Nale!!!! or at least that's the page that I ended up bookmarking when I finally accepted that the comic was worth reading and added it to my queue, since there's no real home page link.

For a while I was grumpy that this dumb vector stick figure comic was so high in the top webcomics list over some other dumb poo poo I was reading.

WingsOfSteel
Nov 13, 2007

Even Dr. Octopus can learn something from the Internet!
I remember the current story when I started reading was the trial in Azure City, right before the Snarl backstory started up. I stopped checking the site regularly during either Don’t Split the Party or early Blood Runs in the Family. Then a couple years ago, I got into my first actual consistent D&D campaign and decided to check up on the comic again and caught up right before Durkon got resurrected.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
God I wish I remember what my first strip was. It had to have been, not long after the first dungeon if not the first itself.

Mniot
May 22, 2003
Not the one you know
I was re-reading some and in #411 "The Power Behind the Throne" Hinjo says "Those breaches varied widely in size, from the largest breach in the Redmountain Hills..."

The breach in the desert was quite large (Colossal?), but this last one is even bigger. I don't think it could be hidden either in the statue or behind one of the doors. Maybe the entire hill is hollow and there's some way to open it up?

Earnestly
Apr 24, 2010

Jazz hands!
Lol, I started right at the comic where Roy gets his sword. I remember that Durkon had that line, "you weren't this excited when I turned you back into a man." That caught the interest of egg_irl 10 year old me, and suddenly I was hooked.

Turns out that Order of the Stick wasn't a fun, fantasy, transgender romp. Funny that.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Late first book. It was after the betrayal by Nale and the Linear Guild, before they got to the battle at the Gate.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Mniot posted:

I was re-reading some and in #411 "The Power Behind the Throne" Hinjo says "Those breaches varied widely in size, from the largest breach in the Redmountain Hills..."

The breach in the desert was quite large (Colossal?), but this last one is even bigger. I don't think it could be hidden either in the statue or behind one of the doors. Maybe the entire hill is hollow and there's some way to open it up?

The breech that exists now, doesn't mean that's how large it was Pre-Gates.

Azure City and the Desert one was probably helped along by the explosion of the gates (which were imbued with various magics to help shore up reality.)

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
My first strip was #602. I don't remember how far the comic was then, because I only read a few strips and went back to the start, but I think by the time I caught up, I was just about at the end of book 4.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Mniot posted:

Redmountain Hills was the first one. Durokan.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

nimby posted:

You've been following it for 15 years. Can't have been reading it for 15 because there's enough months without updates that you could probably scratch 5 of those years off the total.
Lol if you think I don't end up rereading the entire comic every time someone links a page.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

PMush Perfect posted:

Lol if you think I don't end up rereading the entire comic every time someone links a page.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

https://mobile.twitter.com/richburlew/status/411128674981654528?lang=en

I went on for $20 a month as an act of passive aggressive patronage

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I don't even remember where the comic was at when I first started reading, but it was somewhere in the back half of book 2. I think it was during the whole hotel caper.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

sebmojo posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/richburlew/status/411128674981654528?lang=en

I went on for $20 a month as an act of passive aggressive patronage
Rich is the only webcomic artist I've ever seen who is so doggedly insistent on not giving people more ways to give him money. (First the book PDFs, then Patreon.) There was over a decade where the only ways to support the comic were the physical books and the merch. I know hindsight is 20/20, but I think that might have been part of why the Kickstarter blew up so quickly. People had been hankering for a way to show their support, and then he gave them carte blanche to do it, and let himself get caught up in needing to "earn" this sudden influx of money. (Plus, this was the early days of Kickstarter, before stretch goal bloat was a well-documented trap.)

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I'm not 100% sure which strip was my first, but I know for a fact that I came aboard after the initial dungeon crawl was over, because I remember being able to marathon it straight through to the Xykon fight in my first sitting.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

PMush Perfect posted:

Rich is the only webcomic artist I've ever seen who is so doggedly insistent on not giving people more ways to give him money. (First the book PDFs, then Patreon.) There was over a decade where the only ways to support the comic were the physical books and the merch. I know hindsight is 20/20, but I think that might have been part of why the Kickstarter blew up so quickly. People had been hankering for a way to show their support, and then he gave them carte blanche to do it, and let himself get caught up in needing to "earn" this sudden influx of money. (Plus, this was the early days of Kickstarter, before stretch goal bloat was a well-documented trap.)

i think that ended up costing him money, lol (sad lol)

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
My first comic was blue

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

PMush Perfect posted:

It was during this hiatus Seamus Young ended DM Of The Rings and linked it in his afterword. I didn't even have much of an interest in DnD before that, but here I am now, having read grognards.txt twice through

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

PMush Perfect posted:

Rich is stubborn. This is a good thing for us since a less stubborn man would have given up on his silly stick figure comic within the first decade. But at least after seventeen years, deteriorating health, a potentially life-changing injury and two massive IT failures he is finally allowing people to give him money in exchange for his work.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Wish I remembered more clearly when I started reading this, now that it's been a part of my life for so long. I know it was somewhere during No Cure For the Paladin Blues, it had to have been after the Inn (because I remember binging that arc in one sitting) but before the start of War and XPs as that was in early 2006 and I remember playing D&D with someone whose PC was blond Vaarsuvius late 2005 who I rolled my eyes at constantly. Probably before the Snarl reveal, as that part feels fresher than the blur of events leading up to that.

This comic is not yet as old as I was when I started reading it, but it's almost there. I've dropped every other webcomic from those days (or they've ended), but Rich continues to deliver and I don't mind giving him my money now that I'm an adult. It's been a ride.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

sebmojo posted:

Early double figures for me, maybe even before the linear guild arrived?

I read it around around the time that there were a dozen or so strips and went, "Ugh, another lovely gaming webcomic," and then ignored it until around the last few strips of the Azure City arc. I don't think my original impression was wrong, either.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
I started reading before they beat up Xykon the first time. I remember following a link from 8-Bit Theater, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

VanSandman posted:

I started reading before they beat up Xykon the first time. I remember following a link from 8-Bit Theater, I think.

Yeah, I think I learned about Order of the Stick from 8-Bit Theater too.