Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

https://i.imgur.com/30jPhAA.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Zero One posted:

Disney has its fair share of preventable accidents too. Like the person who died because a poorly maintained metal cleat on the sailing ship ripped out and struck them. Or the person who died when the poorly maintained Big Thunder derailed. Or the kid who died when they fell out of the Roger Rabbit ride and were run over by another car. Or the cast member killed by a rotating theater. Or the two people killed by the people mover.

I can keep going...

Virtually all of their fatal accidents were decades ago, before this kind of technology existed. Once stuff like motion sensors and infrared cameras became commonplace, Disney was very quick to install them and their fatality rate took a nosedive. Today most deaths at the theme parks are from people suffering heart attacks or strokes on the rides or things that you really can't prevent through technology, like wandering into the path of a parade float and getting run over. The only serious incident that I can recall recently was the monorail crash that killed a pilot, which was due to staff error.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Reminds me of the videos of that meteor in Russia, where people were like "Ho hum, just a flaming ball hurtling across the sky"

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Proteus Jones posted:

Reminds me of the videos of that meteor in Russia, where people were like "Ho hum, just a flaming ball hurtling across the sky"

That dude just putting his sun visor down and squinting a bit is the ultimate expression of Russian indifference.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gb9WtVXLnw4

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

whoa thats loving incredible

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Proteus Jones posted:

Mammals: lol that loving asteroid is badass

Dinosaurs: You uneducated fools, the impact of and object of this size, and at this speed, is actually quite serious. The “badass” fireball is friction from our atmosph

Mammals: hahahahah rip lol

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

chitoryu12 posted:

Virtually all of their fatal accidents were decades ago, before this kind of technology existed. Once stuff like motion sensors and infrared cameras became commonplace, Disney was very quick to install them and their fatality rate took a nosedive. Today most deaths at the theme parks are from people suffering heart attacks or strokes on the rides or things that you really can't prevent through technology, like wandering into the path of a parade float and getting run over. The only serious incident that I can recall recently was the monorail crash that killed a pilot, which was due to staff error.

There was that employee that died during a test run of the triceratops spin in Animal Kingdom, but iirc that was a lock-out tag-out failure and he wasn't supposed to be on the tracks.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

taqueso posted:

Thanks for mentioning spoggles, I need those. I've been getting epoxy dust around the sides of my safety glasses when sanding.

Newer ones have better ventilation so you don’t end up a completely sweaty mess, but they’re still not really comfortable for extended periods if it’s warm out. But they’re still more comfortable then getting stuff drilled out of your god drat eyeball.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

This is what living inside a pipe-bomb is like

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Spoggles are great for working outside on a windy day at an open pit mine. So much dust blowing everywhere.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Newer ones have better ventilation so you don’t end up a completely sweaty mess, but they’re still not really comfortable for extended periods if it’s warm out. But they’re still more comfortable then getting stuff drilled out of your god drat eyeball.

Have had metal drilled out of my eyeball, can confirm it sucks.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

I'm really confused by the apparent lack of delay between visual and aural explosion. Does the flameball rise above tree line at such a delay that sound would reach the distant point simultaneously? The sound is also surprisingly crisp for a recording from inside a car, but what do I know.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Re hands, one thing that bugs me is that when people in movies/games need blood for a thing they always cut their hand. That's a terrible place! It's constantly flexing and will take forever to heal. Use the back of the forearm instead.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

The Lone Badger posted:

Re hands, one thing that bugs me is that when people in movies/games need blood for a thing they always cut their hand. That's a terrible place! It's constantly flexing and will take forever to heal. Use the back of the forearm instead.

:rolleyes: look at this stemlord trying to fix blood magic

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
That always bothers me too, but sometimes the show or movie goes out of the way to toss in a "blood has to come from the hand because it's a sacrifice/painful/etc" so I forgive it in those cases.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The Lone Badger posted:

yeah that also pisses me off a lot whenever i notice it. oh man, the evil demon is after us and we'll need all the strength we have, better cut right down the middle of my palm so one hand is unusable in the upcoming fight! stupid

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

That always bothers me too, but sometimes the show or movie goes out of the way to toss in a "blood has to come from the hand because it's a sacrifice/painful/etc" so I forgive it in those cases.

i've never seen them say that, but even so there's gotta be a spiritually significant spot that won't cripple you as much. like across your forehead or over your heart or something

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

quote:

Disneyland’s People Mover had a maximum speed of 2 miles-per-hour. The ride’s seemingly harmless speed probably contributed to the fearlessness and carelessness that killed the following passengers.

On August 21, 1967, 17-year-old Ricky Lee Yama was crushed to death while riding on the People Mover. Ricky decided that he would jump in between two of the moving cars just as the ride was entering a tunnel. Sadly, he missed, fell onto the tracks and was run over by an oncoming train. The ride had to be taken apart to remove his body. On June 7, 1980, Gerardo Gonzales decided he would duplicate Yama’s fatal stunt. As the People Mover was entering the SuperSpeed Tunnel, Gonzales jumped between cars and fell onto the track. The oncoming train crushed Gonzales beneath its wheels and dragged his body a few hundred feet down the track before coming to a stop.
I know this is tragic and all, but I really have to admire Gerardo Gonzales' dedication to accuracy.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Lazyhound posted:

:rolleyes: look at this stemlord trying to fix blood magic

Look I'm just saying this cult has terrible OSHA practices. Do you know we never sterilise these sacrificial knives?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

i've never seen them say that, but even so there's gotta be a spiritually significant spot that won't cripple you as much. like across your forehead or over your heart or something

Sorry to say it’s down the shaft

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Fallom posted:

still probably less of a handicap in a fight unless you can hold an axe with your dick

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Sagebrush posted:

still probably less of a handicap in a fight unless you can hold an axe with your dick

I think only dwarves can put points into schlong-wielding.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

In every elevator without an inner door.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
EDIT: Oh what the shitballs.

Bloody Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Feb 12, 2020

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Why were they in the tunnel when they did this?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Cojawfee posted:

I could be totally wrong, but I was thinking that was a tunnel for a particle accelerator or the like, and I assume the concussive blast was to test something or other. That would also explain why the shockwave recurred, as the tunnel is actually a loop.

Again, I have no idea if that is true, though.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

What's the next comfort level above the standard $25 3M respirators?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Cojawfee posted:

Indiana

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Fallom posted:

also known as mayan style:

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I could be totally wrong, but I was thinking that was a tunnel for a particle accelerator or the like, and I assume the concussive blast was to test something or other. That would also explain why the shockwave recurred, as the tunnel is actually a loop.

Again, I have no idea if that is true, though.

In the comments to the video the uploader posted:

A shot opening up a side tunnel
Also, on full-screen it looks like you can see the shock-wave reflect back down the tunnel and back again a couple of times (particularly around 12 and 15 seconds).

They posted another video where you can see more of the network...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKHL33AI5vU

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Humerus posted:

There was that employee that died during a test run of the triceratops spin in Animal Kingdom, but iirc that was a lock-out tag-out failure and he wasn't supposed to be on the tracks.

Well that's a hell of sentence for this thread. I hope you mean the loto failure was that they weren't supposed to turn on the ride. Erring on the side of safety is the entire point of loto, even if it's just one of those cardboard and rubber band tags

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Nenonen posted:

I'm really confused by the apparent lack of delay between visual and aural explosion. Does the flameball rise above tree line at such a delay that sound would reach the distant point simultaneously? The sound is also surprisingly crisp for a recording from inside a car, but what do I know.

I think they purposely hosed with the audio, since there's cars going by visually close but you hear them way later than you normally should.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

axolotl farmer posted:

Hiss for Hogst

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Hiss foer hoegst in case of klamrisk.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

axolotl farmer posted:

http://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=54551

http://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=52960

:allears:

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
I live in the midwest, you can indeed face klamrisk when you're eating seafood here

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Sentient Data posted:

Well that's a hell of sentence for this thread. I hope you mean the loto failure was that they weren't supposed to turn on the ride. Erring on the side of safety is the entire point of loto, even if it's just one of those cardboard and rubber band tags

It was on the Primeval Whirl.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HC_jqWno63I

It's had two fatal accidents, one in 2007 and one in 2011. The first was a 63-year-old female employee who had entered an off-limits part of the loading/unloading platform to lean over the car while loading guests, which knocked her off-balance when it moved forward and caused her to hit her head. Disney responded by installing sensor mats in that area that would automatically stop the ride if anyone stepped into it and placing new striped warning paint showing the official loading/unloading area. They had a similar non-fatal accident in 2002 because the cars would automatically move through the loading area and change their speed for loading, after which Disney installed manual overrides for the cast members in case they needed to control an individual ride vehicle's movements.

The 2011 incident hasn't had as many details released. All I can find is that during refurbishment, someone was standing where he wasn't supposed to on the track and the ride vehicle hit him in the head.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Sentient Data posted:

I mean the failure was the victim's for not doing loto at all, and the operators didn't know he was on the tracks, because if he was, it should have been locked out.

But Disney is very tight lipped about accidents, especially major ones like this. Iirc they don't even have to report injuries because of their status of being their own city (the Reedy Creek Development District). Urban legend has it that Pirates of the Caribbean takes a lot of fingats when people dip their hands in the water and the boat hits the wall.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Always make sure you have a blue steam safety bucket on hand when you remove a cap from a line under pressure!

https://i.imgur.com/57vsOz2.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

that's so he can dump it outside when it turns back into water