Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
If you haven't seen/read it, we should point out it works on two levels because he's Jack Torrance, meaning his formal name is John.

Here's an outdated thing:

Letting a car warm up. Much more of a reality when an engine uses a carburetor instead of computer controlled fuel injection. It was a plot point in an early Seinfeld episode. Also, it was because Jerry had some kind of muscle car and I didn't get the impression it was something he sought out, I think it was just a cheap old American car.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Feb 8, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
*69 sounds like analingus version of 69

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Milo and POTUS posted:

*69 sounds like analingus version of 69

Eatin' asterisk

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Jack B Nimble posted:

If you haven't seen/read it, we should point out it works on two levels because he's Jack Torrance, meaning his formal name is John.

Letting a car warm up. Much more of a reality when an engine uses a carburetor instead of computer controlled fuel injection. It was a plot point in an early Seinfeld episode. Also, it was because Jerry had some kind of muscle car and I didn't get the impression it was something he sought out, I think it was just a cheap old American car.

It's still a good idea to let oil get to operating temp before pushing the engine hard I think

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

brugroffil posted:

It's still a good idea to let oil get to operating temp before pushing the engine hard I think

In extremely cold climates it's good to warm the engine enough to be sure the oil will flow. Think places where it gets down to -40. Of course if you leave a car out in those temps without a block heater you are likely to pop the freeze plugs and need a major maintenance, so, most people have block heaters and don't need to warm the engine up there either.

In normal above-super-freezing temps it's just wasting gas. The engine already has a "cold cycle" mode and will be a little down on power till it reaches a better running temp but idling will not warm it up quickly and you'll be actually putting more wear on the engine than if you just started it up and started actually driving.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Talking about Trailer Park Boys in the "TV shows that didn't age well" thread, is the idea of the "corny white gangsta rapper" something the young kids still joke about or is the overton window shifted so far that rap is the default sad boi genre, instead of emo.

Like, if "Malibu's Most Wanted" was a real movie, instead of a contagious hallucination we all briefly experienced in the late 90s/early 00s? Jamie Kennedy is the name directors used when they're ashamed of what they've created, right? Like hundreds of years from now pedantic dweebs on Twitter will make jokes that Jamie Kennedy is the name of the monster and the scientist who created him was named Marty Power?

if you cast a circle of salt around an unopened Son Of The Mask HDDVD and let the blood of a white hare fall upon it, what nightmares would you bring into our world? Malibu's Most Wanted 2?

Preggo My Eggo!
Jun 17, 2010
Tragically, I fear that Calvin & Hobbes will be so full of outdated references that my kids won't be able to appreciate it. Mercifully, I now realize as an adult that I didn't get the majority of humor from C&H when I was a kid so there's still hope for future generations.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

The only significantly dated cultural references I can think of in C&H are the strips where he rents a VCR and some scary movies. Everything else is so vague that future readers can just plug in whatever the current incarnation of what they're talking about is.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
A child being allowed to play outside by himself and wander the neighborhood without a tracking device attached to him or a helicopter parent ten feet away at all times? A nuclear family where the middle class dad works only one job, is home on the weekends, and makes enough money for the mom to stay at home? An imaginative and rambunctious boy not being medicated into a drooling automaton?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

well he also has a pet tiger that turns into a stuffed animal when adults are around, so I think kids will manage with the rest of that fantasy

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
A tiger stuffed animal instead of a tablet? I think you’re giving the next generation too much credit.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Did... did we just turn into Boomers?

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Imagined posted:

Did... did we just turn into Boomers?

Nah I was raised on Calvin and Hobbes and I'm like, the last year of the millennials I think. I know a 16yro that enjoys them a lot. The kids will be fine imo

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Imagined posted:

A child being allowed to play outside by himself and wander the neighborhood without a tracking device attached to him or a helicopter parent ten feet away at all times? A nuclear family where the middle class dad works only one job, is home on the weekends, and makes enough money for the mom to stay at home? An imaginative and rambunctious boy not being medicated into a drooling automaton?

I see all of those except the second one all the time - and the only reason I don't see that is that I live in the poor part of town. The other two are not nearly as common as the Internet and media would have you believe.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Wait. I didn’t think the mom in C&H was stay at home and had like a job-job. (Not being lovely to stay at home parents and just stumbling over vocab.) Did I imagine that? It’s been years.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Xiahou Dun posted:

(Not being lovely to stay at home parents and just stumbling over vocab.)

Paid employment?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Yes. Probably a better phrasing. Thank you. I haven’t metabolized coffee yet.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Xiahou Dun posted:

Wait. I didn’t think the mom in C&H was stay at home and had like a job-job. (Not being lovely to stay at home parents and just stumbling over vocab.) Did I imagine that? It’s been years.
There's at least one strip that says outright she gave up her job after Calvin was born.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

My Lovely Horse posted:

There's at least one strip that says outright she gave up her job after Calvin was born.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Huh. That's what I get for trusting vaguely-formed memories from childhood. Thanks!

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

but that's calvin's dad though, he's lying because it builds character.

tinytort
Jun 10, 2013

Super healthy, super cheap

Jack B Nimble posted:

That's not outdated, everyone I know with a car will run it to let it warm up first when the weather gets below -10C or so. Admittedly, part of that is because it's just more comfortable to be in the car once it's warmer; modern cars, you can drive right away if you have to, but it's better for them to warm up first.

Also, some of the cars my family owns are generally old enough that you do still need to let them warm up first.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

tinytort posted:

modern cars, you can drive right away if you have to, but it's better for them to warm up first.

No, it's not better, idling more than 30 seconds in a modern car with modern oil is doing nothing but wasting gas if it's anything above -40. Cars warm up by driving or block heaters, not idling.
https://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/car-technology/a19086/warming-up-your-car-in-the-cold-just-harms-engine/

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

tinytort posted:

That's not outdated, everyone I know with a car will run it to let it warm up first when the weather gets below -10C or so. Admittedly, part of that is because it's just more comfortable to be in the car once it's warmer; modern cars, you can drive right away if you have to, but it's better for them to warm up first.

Also, some of the cars my family owns are generally old enough that you do still need to let them warm up first.

In older cars as well the heating won't be "on" a minute or so after the engine's on. I spent many early mornings running late for school getting cold air blown in my face, waiting those seconds for the hot air to come in.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I mean, waiting for an old carburetor car to warm up is kind of a different thing. I feel like a young person starting up a car from the 60's would think it was broken.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

80s, and even the early 90s.

Which themselves were 30-40 years ago.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Lead out in cuffs posted:

80s, and even the early 90s.

Which themselves were 30-40 years ago.

I hate you for this.

It's bad enough seeing 'classic' albums in the stores, when I still have an original pressing that I bought when it was first released.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

The part in Christmas Vacation where missing out on a Christmas bonus is a big deal that drives the plot instead of completely normal.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The Christmas bonus in the first place, you mean.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

ultrafilter posted:

The Christmas bonus in the first place, you mean.

Yeah it's kind of a quaint and antiquated idea, that Christmas bonuses were common for the average person, and not reserved exclusively for the highest-level executives.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Are the Griswolds supposed to be average?

Clark has some fancy white collar job and they live in a palatial house

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Christmas bonuses are starting to make a comeback. I got one this year instead of getting an actual raise/cost of living adjustment.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Alterian posted:

Christmas bonuses are starting to make a comeback. I got one this year instead of getting an actual raise/cost of living adjustment.

In my country you only pay half tax on your pay in december, and it has been this way since the fifties. The reason for this is that people should be able to afford christmas presents.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Alhazred posted:

In my country you only pay half tax on your pay in december, and it has been this way since the fifties. The reason for this is that people should be able to afford christmas presents.

You gonna say what country or do we have to guess?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

It beings with N and ends with Orway

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

FreudianSlippers posted:

It beings with N and ends with Orway

North Lenorway?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Nattensorway.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Alhazred posted:

How does this not get insanely massively exploited?

Like after the first year, pay me 100% of my annual pay in December and I'll manage, kind of exploited?

e. or I bet it has to be your regular pay, right, like half tax on 1/12th of your annual income, and in that case all they're *really* doing is making everyone pay a slightly higher tax rate for 11 months to subsidize december, which being the last month of the year implies that this is excellent for the government and actually lovely for workers who are effectively loaning the government a small fraction of their pay for 11 months just to get a little bit of that back in december, lol

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

Like after the first year, pay me 100% of my annual pay in December and I'll manage, kind of exploited?

e. or I bet it has to be your regular pay, right, like half tax on 1/12th of your annual income, and in that case all they're *really* doing is making everyone pay a slightly higher tax rate for 11 months to subsidize december, which being the last month of the year implies that this is excellent for the government and actually lovely for workers who are effectively loaning the government a small fraction of their pay for 11 months just to get a little bit of that back in december, lol

Everyone's tax returns are public.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Leperflesh posted:

Look what living in a hosed up country with a hosed up antiquated tax system has done to your brain and thought process. The public and government aren't locked in a grift vs grift system elsewhere.