Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Peters also got an executive-producer credit for Man of Steel but Nolan banned him from the set

There's a LOT of stories of him being an absolute scumbag going back many many decades, his metoo moment is well past due

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

He's a producer for the latest A Star is Born in name only. For some legal reason he must be credited with any version made from the 1976 version onwards.

Similarly you can't make an MIB movie without the producer attached who is credited with ruining the latest film.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yeah Peters is a notorious dickbag. Kevin Smith made a lot of waves with his story about all the insane poo poo he claimed Peters said and did. I think a few people later pointed out that Smith spent 11 minutes in his presence but the other poo poo Peters did was so insane nobody ever questioned it. Google isn't turning anything up so it's likely I just read that stuff here.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Rhyno posted:

Yeah Peters is a notorious dickbag. Kevin Smith made a lot of waves with his story about all the insane poo poo he claimed Peters said and did. I think a few people later pointed out that Smith spent 11 minutes in his presence but the other poo poo Peters did was so insane nobody ever questioned it. Google isn't turning anything up so it's likely I just read that stuff here.

People have written entire books about the bizarre poo poo that Peters has done
https://www.amazon.com/Hit-Run-Nancy-Griffin/dp/0684832666

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Groovelord Neato posted:

I figured all these old fat rich guys knew their much more attractive spouses were marrying them for money.

Ego is a motherfucker.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Groovelord Neato posted:

I figured all these old fat rich guys knew their much more attractive spouses were marrying them for money.

1. People have always gone to great lengths to ignore evidence that doesn't fit their desired narrative.

2. It's not unheard of or even all that uncommon for women to be attracted to older men.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Pound for pound Jon Peters is the dumbest idiot in the animal kingdom

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Rhyno posted:

I think Kevin Smith is talking about Jon Peters in this clip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53hMYw8LX60

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

-Blackadder- posted:

1. People have always gone to great lengths to ignore evidence that doesn't fit their desired narrative.

2. It's not unheard of or even all that uncommon for women to be attracted to older men.

There's a reason I said old fat rich guys and not just older rich guys.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

pentyne posted:

I think Kevin Smith is talking about Jon Peters in this clip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53hMYw8LX60

That is one of the best shaggy dog stories ever.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Isn't there proof that the giant spider obsession was real because the failed Sandman movie also had people leaving with complaints abou having to have Dream fight a giant spider?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Holy loving poo poo was he attached to that

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

mycot posted:

Isn't there proof that the giant spider obsession was real because the failed Sandman movie also had people leaving with complaints abou having to have Dream fight a giant spider?

there's proof that the giant spider obsession was real because nearly every single person who's ever worked with him has some kind of batshit insane horror story about him demanding giant spiders

e: he also suggested Sean Penn for Superman. a questionable choice, but not actively wild, right?

well, he suggested Sean Penn based on Dead Man Walking, in which Penn plays a serial killer on death row, because Penn had "the eyes of a loving killer"

keep in mind how people absolutely lost their loving poo poo at Man of Steel having Superman kill Zod

holy poo poo, the nerd firestorm we could have gotten

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
It's thanks to that giant spider that Wild Wild West found a place into the collective consciousness at all, so perhaps the lesson is to put a giant spider in every movie, to feed off mankind's primal instinct of "look, big spider".

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo
Kong: Skull Island had a giant spider and was good.

Maybe Peters was on to something.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Lesson of the day is that it’s not the idea, it’s the execution, and Peters is not the person to execute on any ideas

Edit: as fun as this was, maybe we should get back on topic

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Steve Yun posted:

Holy loving poo poo was he attached to that

The Wikipedia blurb on this is worth reading.

quote:

Peters was a producer for a planned adaptation of the Sandman comics for Warner Bros., which met with controversy. One draft script commissioned by Peters was reviewed on the Internet at Ain't It Cool News,[12] and was met with scorn. Sandman creator Neil Gaiman called the last screenplay that Warner Bros. would send him "...not only the worst Sandman script I've ever seen, but quite easily the worst script I've ever read."[13] By 2001, the project had become stranded in development hell.

In a 2005 interview, Gaiman commented: "But Sandman movies, they just got increasingly appalling. It was really strange. They started out hiring some really good people and you got Elliott and Rossio and Roger Avary came in and did a draft. They were all solid scripts. And then Jon Peters fired all of them and got in some people who take orders, and who wanted fistfights and all this stuff. It had no sensibility and it was just...they were horrible."[14]

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Jon Peters is like "what if Robert Evans but more malicious and way stupider"

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Inspector Gesicht posted:

He's a producer for the latest A Star is Born in name only. For some legal reason he must be credited with any version made from the 1976 version onwards.

Similarly you can't make an MIB movie without the producer attached who is credited with ruining the latest film.

Hollywood has a real weird relationship with EP credits. For example when the Bryan Singer stuff came out Noah Hawley fought to get his (Singer's) name removed from the TV show Legion. Hawley later said that he and Singer had like one conversation early in pre-production and they used none of Singer's ideas. Yet somehow just because it was X-Men related at Fox Singer got an EP credit.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Good for Noah there!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The other Fox X-Men TV show, The Gifted, also tried to get Singer removed as EP but apparently since Singer directed the pilot there were union rules about credits that meant they couldn't do it.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 251 days!

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

A complete lack of nuance, a belief in narrative where there needs to be a goodies and baddies, and old fashioned bias.

I'm curious: how exactly would you defend this poo poo opinion in the face of actual evidence?

Note that by ignoring evidence and reflexively reaching a conclusion based on what appears to be first principles, you are absolutely guilty of everything you're accusing others of. For example, assuming that a man can't be abused and that a woman is automatically the victim.

People in abusive relationships do end up being lovely, and the only solution is to leave. If you dont realize that it isn't so simple, though, you end up with what amounts to a blanket condemnation of all adult abuse victims.

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Feb 15, 2020

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Ultimately the deal with the Amber Heard/Johnny Depp thing is that when people thought it was all Depp they were happy to get vocal about it. Once the situation becomes way more murkier and that narrative gets challenged people don't know what to do because now a woman is the abuser. At a cursory glance I did a quick search on AVCLUB (I know it's gone down the toilet) and Jezebel. Both posted numerous stories about how terrible Depp is...and that's it. In fact, doing a general search anyway doesn't throw up much reporting about it at all.

I'm not standing up for Depp in this at all, but I think it sends a pretty clear message that people were happy to talk and report endlessly about it when they thought it was all Depp and sit on their hands when for example Heard is mocking Depp on tape and telling him that no one is going to believe him anyway. You know, like an abuser would.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
I also think there was just an element of a lot of people were kind of sick of Depp's whole thing, and it wasn't hard to convince them he was an rear end in a top hat.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That's true, he'd been excessively painted as an rear end in a top hat and mild sociopath. It wasn't hard to make the leap that he was an abusive prick.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 251 days!

SunshineDanceParty posted:

I also think there was just an element of a lot of people were kind of sick of Depp's whole thing, and it wasn't hard to convince them he was an rear end in a top hat.

After that Willy Wonka role, it's not hard to see why people would be primed for him to get #meetooed.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Remember how Harvey Weinstein's attorney said she'd never been raped because "she never went home with strangers." In addition to being incredibly dumb and insensitive to actual victims of sexual violence, the interview was also done in violation of the judge's gag rule.

https://twitter.com/rcallimachi/status/1229220033752072194?s=20

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Skwirl posted:

Remember how Harvey Weinstein's attorney said she'd never been raped because "she never went home with strangers." In addition to being incredibly dumb and insensitive to actual victims of sexual violence, the interview was also done in violation of the judge's gag rule.

https://twitter.com/rcallimachi/status/1229220033752072194?s=20

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Kinda related but there's a pretty good WTF episode with Ronan Farrow. It's generally about his life but they get into some of the stuff about Woody Allen, Weinstein and others.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

DrVenkman posted:

Ultimately the deal with the Amber Heard/Johnny Depp thing is that when people thought it was all Depp they were happy to get vocal about it. Once the situation becomes way more murkier and that narrative gets challenged people don't know what to do because now a woman is the abuser.

...is really the key point here and it's interesting because it reminds me a lot of how broke brained people used to be (and still are) about the Israel/Palestine Conflict. I remember a solid 15 years ago having a screaming match with my uncle who was otherwise so far to the left he makes Bernie look like Ross Perot, yet not only was he still defending Israel, it was clear from what he was saying that his knowledge and understanding of the history and nuances of the situation were so poor that he actually thought he was taking the leftist position. A history of antisemitism makes people hesitant to criticize a Jewish country no matter how blatantly racist it is. It's like people can only think in binary and since the American education system does nothing if not jerk itself off to WWII and teach lot's of interesting stuff about middle-eastern terrorism everyone's cognitive heuristic filing system just flags "Jews = Victims" and "Arabs = Villains". Subsequently any evidence that conflicts with these truth values literally does not compute and Kahneman continues to be right about everything.

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Feb 17, 2020

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
There seems to be a bit of a thread in *some* online expressions of feminism that systemically women are unable to be anything but victims by virtue of patriarchy and sexism. Even if a woman is found to be the aggressor or have agency in one circumstance, the overall experience of being a woman in the society we live in cancels this out and they are still overall a victim.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Sloth Life posted:

There seems to be a bit of a thread in *some* online expressions of feminism that systemically women are unable to be anything but victims by virtue of patriarchy and sexism. Even if a woman is found to be the aggressor or have agency in one circumstance, the overall experience of being a woman in the society we live in cancels this out and they are still overall a victim.

For some reason this same thinking doesn't apply to black people of either gender.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Skwirl posted:

For some reason this same thinking doesn't apply to black people of either gender.

er... i'm not really sure where you're going with this, but that's sort of what hoteps are

like the people trying to claim that Cosby and R. Kelly were innocent and just got set up by whitey, for example

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

er... i'm not really sure where you're going with this, but that's sort of what hoteps are

like the people trying to claim that Cosby and R. Kelly were innocent and just got set up by whitey, for example

I was more referring to stuff like not taking poverty and systemic racism into account when condemning young black men to multi decade sentences for admittedly bad stuff like pushing a cashier over and grabbing what they can from the til.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Sloth Life posted:

This kinda got touched on here recently in the UK. Caroline Flack was a TV presenter who beat her boyfriend with a lamp while he was asleep because she thought he was going to leave her. When the police showed up they were both covered in blood and she was still screaming at him while she was being arrested.

The boyfriend didn't want it going any further but in cases like that it's not up to them (given the nature of abuse cases) and so she lost her job presenting and had just received a date for her trial. Then on valentines day she killed herself.

The stance generally has been 'she was hounded by the media and also you never know what's going on with someone and what might make them act like that'. Despite the fact that an ex was about to testify at trial that she was also abusive to him so this doesn't seem to have been a sudden, one off, occurance.

Naturally there's been calls for tougher press regulation and so on, but... there's no way we would be doing this if her name was Chris Flack and he had beaten his girlfriend with a lamp while she slept. It's framed as she was clearly mentally unwell and she acted out and was hounded to her death for it, but that's a lieniency that would never be afforded to a man.

I'm guilty of justifying it too (she seemed nice enough, was well liked, women don't do that sort of thing etc) but there seems a hypocrisy there.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I don't know, it absolutely doesn't excuse what they did, but I think we need to seriously look into how CTE affected Chris Benoit and Aaron Hernandez and have a discussion about it as a society.

And also the British tabloid press was invented to make all other forms of news media look good by comparison. A woman literally just decided to no longer be a princess because of how loving terrible and abusive they are.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Skwirl posted:

I don't know, it absolutely doesn't excuse what they did, but I think we need to seriously look into how CTE affected Chris Benoit and Aaron Hernandez and have a discussion about it as a society.

And also the British tabloid press was invented to make all other forms of news media look good by comparison. A woman literally just decided to no longer be a princess because of how loving terrible and abusive they are.

Bad as the press are, I'd put the blame for that closer to the throne personally.

As to Benoit, I think the attitude among wrestling fans at least is that it was almost certainly CTE and he was probably a victim as much as his family. Without making excuses.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Bad as the press are, I'd put the blame for that closer to the throne personally.

As to Benoit, I think the attitude among wrestling fans at least is that it was almost certainly CTE and he was probably a victim as much as his family. Without making excuses.

Yeah, though I don't think it's anything definitive, it was supposedly noted that his brain was like that of a dementia sufferer (William Regal tells a story of Benoit inviting him over to watch Japanese wrestling tapes, only to angrily insist he did no such thing when Regal showed up the next day).

Its used as a reductive crutch because we like things to make sense for us, which is why it's easier to look at Benoit and say ah CTE, even though in reality it's a variety of factors like living in pain and addiction to medication, steroid abuse and a near pathological pursuit of being the best to the point that he would punish himself if a match didn't meet some arbitrary standard.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

-Blackadder- posted:

What I'm really getting a kick out off, especially from reading that other crazy rear end gaming or whatever forum, is people in the year 2020 having these light bulb moments over Johnny loving Depp of all people, about how just maybe blanket condemnation and rush to judgement aren't literally the greatest ideas ever, while using phrases like "witchunt", "in the town square", "mob", and the like, which are common references to all the dumb medieval and colonialist blanket condemnation/rush to judgement poo poo people used to do literally hundreds of years ago, that lead to the creation of the progressive modern justice system in the first place.

This reminds me of certain conversations I've seen in the last couple years about what the proper way men should behave around women to avoid sexual harassment and the like, and the way some of these developed sounded like they were approaching a kind of proto-chivalry and while that may not necessarily a bad thing depending on where it goes, it amused me to think that this might have been how all that chivalrous mindset and more formalized courtship rituals of the past got started in the first place!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
In the chivalric era high status women were property primarily valued for their trade value as virgins, so yeah, you bet that stuff came about because people did not want their goods handled before sale. And getting (or being accused of being) handsy with another family's women (consensually or not) would have been a grounds for blood spilling and vendettas.