Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Just chillin' : )

Moon Slayer posted:

The Banopticon.

:pray:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

the only way I could see myself voluntarily subjecting myself to the Banopticon playlist is if it were one of those "how long can you put up with a horrible thing to raise money for charity" situations

SpiritualDeath
Jul 2, 2009

shaping your brain like pottery
Wait wait hold up. Nessa's husband was Spiffo? Wow, I never thought, reading that story, that the husband could be a poster I actually recognize from way back and sort of missed the presence of. Well, this new information about his character will certainly color my perception of his posts I come across while reading old threads :lmao:

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Does anyone have a link to the thread? Was it an OD or some medical thing that just got him out of the blue?

No link. Those threads got vanished, because they really did get a ton of creeps and morons lurking them; including Kiwi Farms and Something Sensitive morons who did dox poo poo.

They weren't necessarily a young person, if you're assuming that, because the Goon and the roommate went back years. The Goon involved had been their roommate for like 12 years or something, and they were so socially awkward that they couldn't bring themselves to check in on their roommate just to see if they were OK after like 3 days of them not leaving their room. They posted something along the lines like "it'll be awkward to talk with them if they're not actually dead", as if needing to briefly socially interact with someone they had lived close by for more than a decade would be more of a strain on them than the roomate being dead.

AMISH FRIED PIES posted:

lol even when it's not an image it's always loss.jpg, isn't it?

Arivia posted:

I'm going to disagree with the thread, this was good

Oh, I get it. Its funny because she had a miscarriage and there is also a miscarriage in the stale rear end webcomic meme; epic poo poo for sure, Goons.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

it is kind of funny that x years later people still see the loss image and laugh like malfunctioning robots driving into walls

hallelujah
Jan 26, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
desperately seeking spiffo

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Something awful was where I first heard the phrase "your toxic womb is crowding heaven" so don't act like this place hasn't been mocking miscarriages since before loss

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Len posted:

Something awful was where I first heard the phrase "your toxic womb is crowding heaven" so don't act like this place hasn't been mocking miscarriages since before loss

That part of SA sucked poo poo back then, too

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Len posted:

its the first place I encountered a lot of racial/homophobic slurs, too

hallelujah
Jan 26, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

GulagDolls posted:

it is kind of funny that x years later people still see the loss image and laugh like malfunctioning robots driving into walls
this is the latest one that made me drive into a wall irl

"your grandma posted:

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

GulagDolls posted:

Loss is supposed to be specifically about how a lovely gamer reacted to a miscarriage and how he put it in his terrible gamer comic as his self inserts problem. The templates are a mockery of how he still kept to his copy pasted artwork and expressions in order to portray his self inserts having the problem of his girlfriend miscarrying (which is often harder on the woman than the man but you know he moved past and healed from it or whatever)

The comic is basically forgotten now and because the internet connects you to the dumbest people on Earth it's now turned into "you just lost the game" and I guess some people think it was funny because miscarriages are funny for some reason? Idk.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Len posted:

Oh, well, since a group of people thought mocking a woman over her miscarriages was funny a decade or more ago, then obviously nothing should change.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

xcheopis posted:

Oh, well, since a group of people thought mocking a woman over her miscarriages was funny a decade or more ago, then obviously nothing should change.

Not where I was going with that but okay

Maybe bring it up to lowtax and see if he wants to pull down that article like they did the ones with slurs?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Len posted:

Maybe bring it up to lowtax and see if he wants to pull down that article like they did the ones with slurs?

I mean we're talking about people making loss jokes about actual irl fairly recent miscarriages, so if you weren't saying that it's always been that way and we shouldn't try to change it, its not really clear what you were saying

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I'm not entirely comfortable with that old joke either, but the target of mockery wasn't that the woman had a miscarriage, but that she had elaborate photoshoots with her dead babies and other bizarre stuff, and all of that was on her website. You can check the article where the phrase is from for yourself.

https://www.somethingawful.com/news/were-all-gonna/

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Len posted:

Then where were you going with it?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Does that extremely rich not mad gamer have a history?

I so want him to be real but it is so on the nose that it seems like it has to be someone doing an act.

Paladinus posted:

I'm not entirely comfortable with that old joke either, but the target of mockery wasn't that the woman had a miscarriage, but that she had elaborate photoshoots with her dead babies and other bizarre stuff, and all of that was on her website. You can check the article where the phrase is from for yourself.

https://www.somethingawful.com/news/were-all-gonna/

These situations still squick me out like they did back in the day but instead of finding it funny it's just sad. I can't really imagine what the pain these people feel is.

Another thing I remember goons mocking that I feel really bad about in hindsight was that girl who became brain dead after a tonsilectomy and her family held onto her for a long time afterwards. It's horrible but I can't mock the family for clinging onto threads past rationality. Also that one was super bad because the family had some decent points to make about racism in hospitals.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Feb 12, 2020

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Loss is supposed to be specifically about how a lovely gamer reacted to a miscarriage and how he put it in his terrible gamer comic as his self inserts problem. The templates are a mockery of how he still kept to his copy pasted artwork and expressions in order to portray his self inserts having the problem of his girlfriend miscarrying (which is often harder on the woman than the man but you know he moved past and healed from it or whatever)

This is how I've read the comedic endurance of "Loss," for whatever it's worth - the humor isn't in the miscarriage, it's in the context ("terrible gamer comic"), the execution ("copy-pasted artwork and expressions"), and the short-sighted, self-centered viewpoint from which it was presented.

The humor is in a patently absurd, ill-qualified person trying to swerve serious and failing in every single meaningful way. It is, to me, the same reason overly earnest MS Paint pieces of Crash Bandicoot tearfully saluting an American flag to observe the 15th anniversary of 9/11 are funny.

Making fun of an actual human being's miscarriage is a lovely thing to do, and to read the room as "miscarriages are funny when they happen to people I dislike, because loss.jpg" is about as bumbling as Tim Buckley was.

w/r/t what we used to make fun of here on SA: we've all grown up, to varying degrees.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

xcheopis posted:

Then where were you going with it?

That to act shocked that goons make fun of miscarriages is a bit silly since that's been a thing the sites been doing for what 20 years?

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Does that extremely rich not mad gamer have a history?

I so want him to be real but it is so on the nose that it seems like it has to be someone doing an act.

These situations still squick me out like they did back in the day but instead of finding it funny it's just sad. I can't really imagine what the pain these people feel is.

Another thing I remember goons mocking that I feel really bad about in hindsight was that girl who became brain dead after a tonsilectomy and her family held onto her for a long time afterwards. It's horrible but I can't mock the family for clinging onto threads past rationality. Also that one was super bad because the family had some decent points to make about racism in hospitals.

The family was being fed a lot of lies by some right-wing religious group.
Didn't it turn out they had given the girl some food she wasn't supposed to have, which may have precipitated her crisis? If so, there may be a hefty dose of guilt and regret feeding that denial.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Len posted:

That to act shocked that goons make fun of miscarriages is a bit silly since that's been a thing the sites been doing for what 20 years?

Because nothing ever changes and the people here, in this thread, are all the same people who laughed it up back then.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Pastry of the Year posted:

This is how I've read the comedic endurance of "Loss," for whatever it's worth - the humor isn't in the miscarriage, it's in the context ("terrible gamer comic"), the execution ("copy-pasted artwork and expressions"), and the short-sighted, self-centered viewpoint from which it was presented.

The humor is in a patently absurd, ill-qualified person trying to swerve serious and failing in every single meaningful way. It is, to me, the same reason overly earnest MS Paint pieces of Crash Bandicoot tearfully saluting an American flag to observe the 15th anniversary of 9/11 are funny.

Making fun of an actual human being's miscarriage is a lovely thing to do, and to read the room as "miscarriages are funny when they happen to people I dislike, because loss.jpg" is about as bumbling as Tim Buckley was.

w/r/t what we used to make fun of here on SA: we've all grown up, to varying degrees.

Exactly- the copy and paste nature was most of the joke around the loss.jpg stuff in the old CAD threads. It was so out of left field and ill fitting in a gaming comic, and copying and pasting into other contexts, or jamming zalgo into it was a kind of play on that.

The CAD threads ate themselves, as is the way of mock threads, but when they were good, man they were good. The timing was impeccable, too, the first one went up like a week or two before loss.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Peanut Butler posted:

its the first place I encountered a lot of racial/homophobic slurs, too

You some sort of home schooled weirdo?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Is the PYF mod list being curators new?

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

LingcodKilla posted:

You some sort of home schooled weirdo?

no I went to a high school of like 1500 people but none of them as inventive with their slurs as mid-00s goons

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Is the PYF mod list being curators new?

There have been subtle edits to the PYF style sheet. :)

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Grandmother of Five posted:

No link. Those threads got vanished, because they really did get a ton of creeps and morons lurking them; including Kiwi Farms and Something Sensitive morons who did dox poo poo.

They weren't necessarily a young person, if you're assuming that, because the Goon and the roommate went back years. The Goon involved had been their roommate for like 12 years or something, and they were so socially awkward that they couldn't bring themselves to check in on their roommate just to see if they were OK after like 3 days of them not leaving their room. They posted something along the lines like "it'll be awkward to talk with them if they're not actually dead", as if needing to briefly socially interact with someone they had lived close by for more than a decade would be more of a strain on them than the roomate being dead.

If I remember right, he had a heart attack or stopped breathing in his sleep or something and was one of those late 30s or early 40s loner-types without any close family. I can get feeling awkward about checking in on a reclusive friend juuuust on the off chance they're dead because everyone has one of those flash moments before they laugh off the possibility, but then whoops nope he's dead as a doornail.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I'm appreciating all the little changes like that popping up around the forums, it's always a nice surprise (and a reason to actually look at the site rather than the app, which I'm definitely not using to post this right now :sweatdrop:)

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal

Our posts belong in a museum.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

promising carl posted:

Our posts belong in a museum.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Nuns with Guns posted:

If I remember right, he had a heart attack or stopped breathing in his sleep or something and was one of those late 30s or early 40s loner-types without any close family. I can get feeling awkward about checking in on a reclusive friend juuuust on the off chance they're dead because everyone has one of those flash moments before they laugh off the possibility, but then whoops nope he's dead as a doornail.

My flatmates (who I wasn't all that close to) once thought this had happened to me, so got the landlord around to open my door with much trepidation.

I had gone on holiday.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

xcheopis posted:

The family was being fed a lot of lies by some right-wing religious group.
Didn't it turn out they had given the girl some food she wasn't supposed to have, which may have precipitated her crisis? If so, there may be a hefty dose of guilt and regret feeding that denial.

I think one of the things the hospital was saying was that they fed her a hamburger or something right after the surgery and that's what reopened the wounds. The family says they didn't do that. Gonna be one of those things we'll never know the truth about.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Len posted:

I don't think you can really cite this as a huge part of your culture if you don't even know what the quote is

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal

my_posting_career.jpg

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

pretty much this. i still remember how tim buckley made a abortion joke just a few comics before loss.jpg where the punchline was that the pregnant character was standing outside a clothes hanger store. it was this really surreal tonal whiplash from a comic who was pretty much known as a knock off penny arcade.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I'm just sad that Loss still gets posted but the wedding speech ones don't get as much airtime, because they're really loving bad

Also, am I making this up or did that comic pivot really randomly into like a Terminator, the-robot-kills-everyone evil future thing?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Are they still married?

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Also, am I making this up or did that comic pivot really randomly into like a Terminator, the-robot-kills-everyone evil future thing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e60JlM6ZXHc

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Actually I'm like 99% sure the evil robot kills his wife in the evil grimdark reboot or whatever it was

^^^^^^ there it is lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Judging by that comic panel I think they got a divorce when something bad happened in a game that they didn't specifically agree to endure in their vows. Ugh this camera sucks, I didn't sign up for this, we're through!