Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Turns out Mookie is a relatively benign creepy pervert, who knew!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

It's part of the reason why in some ways I find poo poo like Dominic Deegan or Naruto more creepy than outright fetish comics and poo poo. The authors clearly have deep seated issues with women but seem to be completely unaware of that fact.

Was there some kind of more insidious misogyny in late-run Naruto aside from just not having very many girl characters? I ran out of steam around ep 200 during the interminable filler and never really picked it back up after middle school.

I do definitely agree with you. Mookie's brand of misogyny reminds me a lot of Piers Anthony's where masking it with this kind of twee innocence makes it a thousand times creepier than just being overt fetish poo poo like Exiern or one of the other comics Fuego Fish spotlighted on the blog back in the old days.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Invisible Clergy posted:

Was there some kind of more insidious misogyny in late-run Naruto aside from just not having very many girl characters? I ran out of steam around ep 200 during the interminable filler and never really picked it back up after middle school.

The big thing is that none of the women had any agency outside of the men they were attached to. It's particularly hard to ignore when in the finale everyone gets trapped in their ideal fantasy world and literally every woman's fantasy is centered around some guy.

Anyways that was fun, here's our slop.

: HELLO I AM WELL DEVELOPED CHARACTER.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I literally can’t tell if they’re going to or away from the town.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

why the gently caress was she so excited to see him anyway? She hasnt seen him at all while she's conscious or not being a blank sheet (heh).

why the gently caress is this comic so poorly constructed

why am I mad at webcomics

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

I do not enjoy to see the snout man's densely carpeted treasure trail. i hate to view it.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Invisible Clergy posted:

I do definitely agree with you. Mookie's brand of misogyny reminds me a lot of Piers Anthony's where masking it with this kind of twee innocence makes it a thousand times creepier than just being overt fetish poo poo like Exiern or one of the other comics Fuego Fish spotlighted on the blog back in the old days.
The final boss of Naruto shows up out of nowhere in the eleventh hour and is basically Kishi’s misogyny given form. She’s not allowed to fight, only teleport around, and in fact isn’t even really even allowed to trash talk and has to have a minion talk poo poo to our heroes.

Kishi doesn’t seem to get off on making women suffer the way Mookie does but he clearly has some issues. I never followed Naruto until that final arc in fact; since some friend of mine from these very forums said it’s bad writing and shot would fill the DD shaped hole in my heart.

Also this new comic is poo poo and Mookie still seems to operate at the level of a toddler. There is no theory of mind. Mookie knows Inkwitch is a protagonist, so Snout does too. He did this poo poo all the drat time in DD.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

Mors Rattus posted:

The arrow is pointing towards Snout, and assuming the camera hasn't crossed the 180 line in the last panel they're walking away from Mongreltown.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

that's a big assumption and you know it

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

no you see they're going in the same direction that the arrow is pointing at on the page

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

Synthbuttrange posted:

no you see they're going in the same direction that the arrow is pointing at on the page

Hahahahaha this is literally the answer.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

PoptartsNinja posted:

This plot dump is being done solely so Mookie can get them both into a tent / mongreltown hotel together to 'camp out.'

Goddamn it Mookie. I didn't want to be right.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls

Libra posted:

I do not enjoy to see the snout man's densely carpeted treasure trail. i hate to view it.

Get ready for a lot more of it

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I love that the sign is just out in the middle of nowhere, and not like on a major crossroads where a sign would actually be useful.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Aaaaand they're friends now. She blew up his house and they are friends now.

gently caress this

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

TheHan posted:

The big thing is that none of the women had any agency outside of the men they were attached to. It's particularly hard to ignore when in the finale everyone gets trapped in their ideal fantasy world and literally every woman's fantasy is centered around some guy.

Anyways that was fun, here's our slop.

: HELLO I AM WELL DEVELOPED CHARACTER.

True enough.

Why is the comic like this? How does he fail at stuff like:

Mors Rattus posted:

drawing a goddamn arrow?

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

The final boss of Naruto shows up out of nowhere in the eleventh hour and is basically Kishi’s misogyny given form. She’s not allowed to fight, only teleport around, and in fact isn’t even really even allowed to trash talk and has to have a minion talk poo poo to our heroes.

Kishi doesn’t seem to get off on making women suffer the way Mookie does but he clearly has some issues. I never followed Naruto until that final arc in fact; since some friend of mine from these very forums said it’s bad writing and shot would fill the DD shaped hole in my heart.

Also this new comic is poo poo and Mookie still seems to operate at the level of a toddler. There is no theory of mind. Mookie knows Inkwitch is a protagonist, so Snout does too. He did this poo poo all the drat time in DD.

Good to know, thanks. Sounds pretty dire.

I literally don't think Mookie has ever attained abstract thinking. This much is evident from his decades of terrible webcomics.

Wasn't Mongreltown destroyed? What are they going to?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Nah the ship crashed the opposite direction of Mongreltown

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Aaaaand they're friends now. She blew up his house and they are friends now.

gently caress this

They were never not going to be friends/fuckbuddies.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Nah the ship crashed the opposite direction of Mongreltown

If only there had been an arrow setting me straight.

Yeah, Mookie's got his pulse on the thumb of the nation and knows kids are into bed sharing in their crappy webcomics nowadays.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

I guess Snout doesn't want to know why what happened to Dominic matters.

Stakes?

What are those?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
It's drat impressive that Mookie can make one of his panels a giant bold arrow and still manage to make it confusing which way his characters are walking.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"The woman in black fled across the desert and the mongrelman followed."

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Invisible Clergy posted:

Now that's not a fair comparison, the Dark Tower started out pretty cool and then turned into a self-indulgent mindfuck.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

PMush Perfect posted:

Now that's not a fair comparison, the Dark Tower started out pretty cool and then turned into a self-indulgent mindfuck.

Even odds on Legacy ending with the literal hand of god coming down and setting off a bomb too, though.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

The reason Mookie's panels are now perfect squares is he's using a tablet. He started right around the ink witch crashing, which I think is why we're seeing (some) experimentation with technique and texture.

He made a blog post about it, which I checked because something felt off about these new strips, and it turned out to be that the panels weren't irregular and janky. Though funnily enough, I feel like that takes away some of the little charm DD has.

Beelzebufo fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Feb 12, 2020

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Kinda amusing he started going digital right when the Ink Witch entered the comic, since the physical "magic ink splash" was the only interesting visual element he'd thought up. And now that it's all digital he can't really recreate it.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I like how even now that he's using digital squares that are perfectly straight and angular, he's not actually using digital squares. He's using digital lines, which is why the corners of all the panels either have tiny gaps or extend past each other a bit.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Mors Rattus posted:

I like how even now that he's using digital squares that are perfectly straight and angular, he's not actually using digital squares. He's using digital lines, which is why the corners of all the panels either have tiny gaps or extend past each other a bit.

:bang:

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls

Mors Rattus posted:

lmao

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Lol wow, that's literally worse than the other two options. Even freehanding it would be better

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Invisible Clergy posted:

Does that mean Mookie will write a self-insert into the comic?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Ague Proof posted:

Does that mean Mookie will write a self-insert into the comic?
I hope so. If he doesn't, that's two bingos I'm missing out on.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

so little effort

Mors Rattus posted:

lol

Look I know it's petty but honestly him continuing this comic is just to spite us so gently caress it.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Snout is his self-insert.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I think my favorite part is that it literally takes him more effort to half-rear end the lines. It would literally be easier to use a rectangle tool.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

PoptartsNinja posted:

No, Snout can write.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

PoptartsNinja posted:

Absolutely no question. Dominic was Mookie when he was an edgy post-teen, Snout is Mookie now that he's the embodiment of cingey dad energy. I'm honestly surprised he didn't give Snout a kid, but I guess that would be one more thing he'd had to draw daily.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Nothing stopping him from adopting an orphan from mongreltown together with the ink witch now that they have confessed their love to each other by being together for five minutes.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I'm honestly surprised he didn't give Snout a kid
where do you think this is going?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Woof, good point. I could see him writing his son into the story for sure.