Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
Steam will use any and all available bandwidth on my PC but will let other poo poo through, I don't notice an adverse affect on things unless I'm trying to stream large video or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Geneforge remaster en route via kickstarter!!

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I'm not sure I see what's remastered about it but c'est la Jeff Vogel, I suppose.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Near as I can tell so far, it uses the graphics and interface of the last game in the Geneforge series rather than those from the first. Since he has done the same thing for the Avernum remakes, we can probably expect the skill- and stat-systems to shift towards something closer to those introduced with the Avadon series, as will probably the combat.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

quote:

Pledge US$ 75 or more (About €69)
Scroll of Absolution!

Lord of the Shapers Reward Tier + We send you a signed, singed, personalized document absolving you for any of our games you may have pirated in the past. We get apology emails about this all the time. Now you can make our forgiveness official!

Nice try, Jeff, but I just played the poo poo out of the shareware releases as a kid. No piracy here!

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Can you still play the old Bulletstorm? I keep meaning to install it but then I remember GFWL and hesitate.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

But... why? Isn't that exactly what Vogel's been doing for the past 25 years already?

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

StrixNebulosa posted:

I'm actually kinda excited about finding ECHOs and audiologs again!

Oh no, I have bad news for you. Division 2 is another one of those games where the gameplay is undeniably improved, but the story and care put into everything else just fell down a hole.

SelenicMartian posted:

Void Destroyer 2 has been out for a few days. Is anyone playing? It's a cel-shaded pocket-sized space sim.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/369530/Void_Destroyer_2/

VD2 is fantastic. It's basically a mixture of Freelancer and X, with some Homeworld thrown in. The dev really knows how to value players time, so the rewards for everything sensibly scale with the risk and time involved. And there's rewards for everything, without any lovely gotchas that exist just to screw you over in case you forgot something.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

DatonKallandor posted:

VD2 is fantastic. It's basically a mixture of Freelancer and X, with some Homeworld thrown in..

I have never mashed the “add to cart” button faster in my life.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Irritated Goat posted:

Can you still play the old Bulletstorm? I keep meaning to install it but then I remember GFWL and hesitate.

Pretty sure I played it from Steam after the GFWL shutdown. Can’t remember exactly tho.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

DatonKallandor posted:

VD2 is fantastic. It's basically a mixture of Freelancer and X, with some Homeworld thrown in. The dev really knows how to value players time, so the rewards for everything sensibly scale with the risk and time involved. And there's rewards for everything, without any lovely gotchas that exist just to screw you over in case you forgot something.
How long is it? It looks pretty great but the pocket-sized thing seems to be a discouragement.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
Spiderweb Studios could advertise a box of bat poo poo and I'd still buy it knowing that somehow I'm guaranteed to get 60+ hours of entertainment out of it one way or another. This year I'm playing nothing but retro RPGs and all of those are on the list. Currently going through Might and Magic 6-8 !

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

anilEhilated posted:

How long is it? It looks pretty great but the pocket-sized thing seems to be a discouragement.

I don't know actually. Steam says I have 100 hours playtime and I've never even seen the 4X side of the game. Those are like 6 different new starts probably though. It's real hard to estimate playtime for sandbox games. Certainly not a <30 hour game in any way.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Welp, you just sold a copy.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Feb 12, 2020

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
I don't know if I'll ever have time to play it but i've been interested in void destroyer for a while and that sounds like a ringing endorsement. I just might nab it!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Void Destroyer 2 left EA?

Omi no Kami posted:

Is Lords of the Fallen worth grabbing on deep discount? I keep hearing it described as an absurdly eurojank-y souls ripoff, but I'm unclear whether that means flawed-but-fun janky, or deadly premonition janky.

It sucks very badly and the one redeeming feature in it is the bad guy, a chained god who hates humanity, asks if you want to help him subjugate humanity and you can go "hell yeah, I hate these loving assholes", then you do that.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Feb 12, 2020

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Spiderweb remasters are neat. Geneforge 1 era Spiderweb games were still very in the camp of the interface being something that can be used by someone who was really excited to have a PC D&D character sheet in 1993. Recent Spiderweb is nearly to the quality of Bioware D&D games.

That's damning with faint praise, but combine it with the scripting being exactly what someone wants when they say they want a pen and paper campaign video games and it's suddenly exciting we can get D&D Pokemon in a UI that doesn't immediately give you a migraine.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

I never did fully get the hang of this one, but the rare moments when I could coordinate something awesome between a dozen temporal copies were super rad.

:intv: Platformebruary 2020: Ultimate Collector's Edition :intv:

1. Blasphemous
2. Duck Souls
3. Dune Sea
4. A Robot Named Fight
5. Sonic Mania
6. Izeriya
7. MagiCat
8. Runner3
9. Harold
10. Spirits Abyss
11. A Short Hike

12. Super Time Force Ultra

Dying in games is never fun. Some games like Spelunky can make it entertaining, and most games now seek to make it as painless as possible, but it’s still not something anyone wants to waste time on. Super Time Force knows this, and decided that you wouldn’t need to waste any time on death at all. In fact, if you die, you can just fix it! And fixing it will make you stronger! And then you can blow up all the angels or dinosaurs you need to in order to right all of history’s perceived wrongs! Never mind if they’re actually wrongs or not, because the insane, brain-bending action here is absolutely the star of the show.

Dr. Repeatski has made the discovery of all possible lifetimes, a formula that allows for time travel. From there he makes the natural supposition that time is a big ol’ mess that only he and his hand-picked super-soldiers can fix. Thus is born the Super Time Force, a team of gun-totting time travelers out to correct mistakes across history. Of course, these are “mistakes” like the dinosaurs being killed off and Atlantis sinking into the ocean. Not everyone agrees with these corrections either, as the mysterious Dr. Infinity appears across the eons with his army of Blounbots to halt all this temporal meddling. It’s stiff resistance for the Super Time Force to overcome, but they happen to have a few timely tricks up their sleeves.

Those tricks are precisely what make Super Time Force such a madcap adventure. Beyond the bonkers premise, the stages you battle through are pretty standard platform shooter levels full of enemies in awkward places and explosives in much handier spots. You pick one of your troops to control at a time, and while their regular and special attacks are generally solid, they won’t be enough to push back the tides of mutants, dinosaurs, and robots you’ll face. So, whenever things get too deadly (including actual death), you can rewind time, load another soldier, and join the fray alongside your previous attempt. By doing this you can save your last soldier from death, double up your firepower, or pincer enemies in ways you couldn’t on your own.

The real kicker is that you can do this over and over and over again. There’s a limit on how many rewinds you can trigger but it’s something absurd like 30, allowing you to keep re-writing the same scene until all of your troops survive and all of your foes die instantly. You also get a bonus for saving someone from death, allowing you to combine their special attacks and take extra hits without dying again. Stacking up character is pretty necessary in some stages because you’ll have a strict time limit that’s essentially impossible without clever rewinds. Bosses also have absurd health pools intended to be melted by a dozen or more of you shooting at once. The utility of power like this is obvious but the sheer extent of what you can engineer is not, and some of the more puzzley bits of levels like trying to snap up fragile collectibles can really push your four-dimensional logic to the limit.

You’ll get plenty of chances to test your wits and reflexes across six eras, each containing something like three levels and a boss. There are more characters to unlock too, and not just conventional soldiers. Salarymen, dinosaurs, and even characters from Valve games will make an appearance, each with their own handy powers of destruction. You’ve probably gathered that Super Time Force doesn’t take itself too seriously, what with its ridiculous premise and journey, but if you didn’t then the writing would pound that point into your face. It’s probably the weakest part of this package, too, because it’s really, really, really trying too hard with the monkey cheese approach. Sometimes you’ve just got to let temporal mayhem speak for itself, without so much additional nonsense.

Lame dialog should be the least of your concerns when platforming, though, and Super Time Force offers a unique spin on the genre. The time rewinding is an incredibly gratifying mechanic to master, replaying scenes over and over until you get them just right in a perfect performance of violence. The art style is perfectly evocative for a game as silly as this, and the sound design goes out of its way to really immerse you in the temporal chaos. This is a thinking person’s platformer, with enough challenge and variety to keep you busy for hours, though you’d be forgiven for thinking otherwise from the writing. If you need a new take on temporal action, though, it’ll be a real good time.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

People were wondering about whether Wolcen was really gonna be done done tomorrow, and they dropped some patch notes early:

quote:

Here is a small changelog just to mark the transition between Beta and launch. We know that some of you expect it and we wanted to provide you with one. Basically, we could summarize this in one line: Added the game. But let’s detail just a bit.

And then there's an extremely long list of changes :v:

Glad to see that they added character customization, I was worried you could only play as that one boring dude since there was all that VA referring to you as "brother". Excited to play it tomorrow!

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Super time force is fun and at it's funnest when you're left to create dupes in a madcap way. It distills down to it's worst when it turns up the heat, especially on boss battles, where it makes it very clear this is a game and your time travel is very simply programming gradius options to run along side you.

Very worth it on sale unless you are allergic to the humor.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
STFU is good.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Omi no Kami posted:

Is Lords of the Fallen worth grabbing on deep discount? I keep hearing it described as an absurdly eurojank-y souls ripoff, but I'm unclear whether that means flawed-but-fun janky, or deadly premonition janky.

it’s not as bad as people say, but it’s also not a very good experience either and too many good games come out every day now to play something that’s overall mediocre and doesn’t resonate with you, life is short etc. would have suggested it for a different experience years ago when it came out but I wouldn’t anymore

I have no particular loyalty to from software & can be pretty critical of their games but] none of the attempts at similar games from other developers I’ve played (lords, the surge, nioh) have been able to compete with them. nioh came the closest I guess

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
Besiege is finally coming out of Early Access. I remember this game being the talk of the town way back when and then things fizzled out.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Blattdorf posted:

Besiege is finally coming out of Early Access. I remember this game being the talk of the town way back when and then things fizzled out.

How many years has that been in EA? 5?

E:wow, yep, it just hit the five year mark at the end of January.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

I have a maybe slightly dodgy question, but I dunno where else to ask and this is as close to a general PC gaming thread as there is on the forums.

I recently bought Dawn of Magic 1 from ebay, because Steam only has the second game and apparently the story is basically incomprehensible without playing the first one.

Unfortunately DoM1 uses an old (like, mid-2000) version of StarForce and does not run on Windows 10 (or 8 for that matter) because of it. That said, there appears to be a no-cd patch made at some point.

The dodgy question - is there a safe site to download such things these days without getting a bucketload of viruses? It's been very long since I had to do that, and I can't figure out how to download from gamecopyworld without the file getting blocked by chrome, which by itself makes me really nervous. I legally own the game and everything, I'd just quite like to play it as well. Please send me a PM if it's not okay to post about.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Private Speech posted:

I have a maybe slightly dodgy question, but I dunno where else to ask and this is as close to a general PC gaming thread as there is on the forums.

I recently bought Dawn of Magic 1 from ebay, because Steam only has the second game and apparently the story is basically incomprehensible without playing the first one.

Unfortunately DoM1 uses an old (like, mid-2000) version of StarForce and does not run on Windows 10 (or 8 for that matter) because of it. That said, there appears to be a no-cd patch made at some point.

The dodgy question - is there a safe site to download such things these days without getting a bucketload of viruses? It's been very long since I had to do that, and I can't figure out how to download from gamecopyworld without the file getting blocked by chrome, which by itself makes me really nervous. I legally own the game and everything, I'd just quite like to play it as well. Please send me a PM if it's not okay to post about.

There’s a PC gaming thread in the retro games sub forum that may be able to help you.

E:link:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3577352&perpage=40

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

There’s a PC gaming thread in the retro games sub forum that may be able to help you.

Ahh cheers, will go ask there.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Serephina posted:

But... why? Isn't that exactly what Vogel's been doing for the past 25 years already?

He's been pretty open about it -- the Kickstarter for Queen's Wish went really well, and allowed him to make the game without economic uncertainty. I also imagine having a lot of people playing and reviewing it around launch helped sales as well. There has been more than one time in the past where a game underperforming has been really rough for Spiderweb.

yegods
Apr 6, 2007

Cerebus can destroy ANYTHING. Cerebus is the POPE.
Wolcen is fun actually, but they really need an "attack in place" button. I was really missing that.

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012
Hello

Here is my ranking of the voice acting quality in Plague Tale by language, based on the first couple of minutes:
1. English
2. German (could've used french accents)
3. French

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

yegods posted:

Wolcen is fun actually, but they really need an "attack in place" button. I was really missing that.

I thought they do have one? I made a ranged character and holding shift kept them from moving, just like Diablo 3, Grim Dawn, etc.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

How far away is the release for the full game version of Wolcen?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

SirSamVimes posted:

Tomorrow.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Tomorrow is the release date.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Trickyblackjack posted:

Hello

Here is my ranking of the voice acting quality in Plague Tale by language, based on the first couple of minutes:
1. English
3. French

I've played the game in both English and French, and while French is cool for the immersion factor I do prefer the English VA overall. Amicia and Melie's actresses do a really good job.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Trickyblackjack posted:

Hello

1. English
3. French

I'm very glad demos are becoming slightly more common again. It really helps me crystallize whether I would like the game or not. Doom2016? By the end of the second stage, hell yes. Plague Tale? Good hook in the first few minutes, then they got to the stealth+escort segments and I'm laughing on my way out the door. Just not for me. Likewise, I just got Dishonored, and knew I would love it within five minutes of the first 'real' stage - but said stage took a half hour of intro beforehand. A demo would've sold me that game years ago.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Ugly In The Morning posted:

E:link:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3577352&perpage=40

There's a whole subforum for retro games now??? :aaaaa:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

DrNutt posted:

There's a whole subforum for retro games now??? :aaaaa:

It’s been around for months, but I just stumbled on it yesterday. The hazards of primarily browsing via my bookmarks.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

AirRaid posted:

Pretty sure I played it from Steam after the GFWL shutdown. Can’t remember exactly tho.

GFWL never actually shut down. Its updater is bad, so it can be annoying to get it working, but GFWL still works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

SirSamVimes posted:

Really interesting that nobody's ever started a thread for it as far as I can tell from the search function. Wanting to drop the $30 and just BELIEVE that the final two acts and all that last-minute untested content will be good, but... uh...