Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
I know some folks who wrote a userspace NFS server in Python

that was exciting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

maybe that is how they got reasonable performance :q:

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

eschaton posted:

I’m anticipating hilarity when I try to netboot SunOS on my Sun 3/60 from NetBSD 8.1 on an RPi3

it supposedly serves compatible NFS—compatible enough for boot ROMs to use anyway—but what that really means to true-blue original Sun NFS is anyone’s guess

I have net booted a lot of weird stuff, including suns, off FreeBSD, often when Linux would fail for inscrutable reasons

I would expect it to work

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

its extremely weird reading what mayor pete has to say about nfs and old unixes

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

eschaton posted:

I know some folks who wrote a userspace NFS server in Python

that was exciting

did they get it stable? any github or anything?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Poopernickel posted:

lol at this optimism

user or kernel space, it will still be nfs. the problem domain is fundamentally intractable. you can’t make a good distributed system with posix semantics

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Poopernickel posted:

LOL if you think Github existed when this was a thing

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

The problem with Ubuntu isn't a matter of taste. It's not that I don't like Unity, or I have bad feelings about Shuttleworth, or that the logo doesn't agree with me. It's much more fundamental: The Ubuntu model for development is broken.

Ubuntu periodically forks Debian's "Unstable" tree (Debian's rolling release). Canonical, inc. works from that snapshot for six months, and then publishes a Ubuntu release.

Inside that Ubuntu release, there is a core of Canonical-supported packages. Canonical accepts bug reports for these packages. These packages receive updates for the supported lifetime of the release. Ubuntu's "core" is supported much the way that Debian or CentOS is.

The problem is that this core is only a fraction of the packages on the system. Ubuntu 14.04, the latest "long term support" release, contains 44378 packages. Only 8751 of them are in the supported part. The rest of the packages go into a separate repository, "Universe."

The packages in Universe, the missing 35 thousand packages, are six months old on release day. They've gone six months without updates or security patches. By the end of the release cycle, they're five and a half years out of date.

--

Shadowhawk will doubtlessly point out that a legion of unpaid, untrained, unorganized volunteers can "maintain" packages in universe. But it's completely optional. Any given package might be untouched (bad), get backported security updates (good), be updated religiously from upstream (really bad), or replaced with something completely different from debian (really, really bad).

There's no release management process. There are no guarantees about what you find in Universe. It's totally up to the kindness of individual strangers.

Universe and Launchpad.net are sources of "works on my machine" issues and security holes. And that is all I have to say about that.

--

Of course, all this peril can be avoided if you don't enable the "Universe" repositories. If you restrict yourself to the core and update repos, you should have no problems. In that case, Ubuntu could be just fine.

Now let's try to use it.

I'd like to build a ruby application.
Whoops. There's no bundler. That was part of Universe.

Python?
Oops. No pypi and no virtualenv. Those are also stuck in Universe.

Java?
Sorry. Maven was also part of Universe.

Perl?
Nope, no mod_perl2.

PHP?
Actually, PHP works fine with only core. All the necessary bits are supported. I can say without any trace of sarcasm that Ubuntu is 100% totally suitable to hosting PHP applications.

quoting this because i went looking for it

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Captain Foo posted:

quoting this because i went looking for it

i keep it bookmarked because it keeps coming up

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

thats quite a time commitment op

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

so should I install SunOS 3.5, 4.0, or 4.1 on this Ferrari

it’s got 16MB of RAM but I’m pretty sure I have enough 1MB 30-pin parity SIMMs to push it up to 24MB

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

david sterba wrote about the new raid1c3 / raid1c4 mode of btrfs that came with kernel 5.5

https://kdave.github.io/btrfs-hilights-5.5-raid1c34/

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

eschaton posted:

so should I install SunOS 3.5, 4.0, or 4.1 on this Ferrari

it’s got 16MB of RAM but I’m pretty sure I have enough 1MB 30-pin parity SIMMs to push it up to 24MB

XKernel :q:

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
5.6 is a big release, this will bring Linux to the desktop for sure now

pram
Jun 10, 2001
5.6 is finally the kernel where they set the desktop bool to true. exciting times we live in

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

not meaning to blogspam, but it hasn't quite dawned on me that nvidia's actually started contributing to nouveau

Open-Source Nouveau Extended To Support The GeForce 16 Series With Hardware Acceleration

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

hopefully a sign of the (graphics, gaming, not compute presumably) driver advantage eroding a bit, so all of it can become a bit less secretive in the future. makes a lot less sense to build a huge complex binary lump for linux yourself when it is no longer a critical advantage to be the only one capable of running opengl.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Tankakern posted:

not meaning to blogspam, but it hasn't quite dawned on me that nvidia's actually started contributing to nouveau

Open-Source Nouveau Extended To Support The GeForce 16 Series With Hardware Acceleration

Where does it say that nv contributed this driver

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

i think by documentation and with releasing signed firmware specifically for nouveau. better than nothing. maybe they give money to ben skeggs, what do i know

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Tankakern posted:

if by "contributing" you mean "handing over binary firmware blobs," sure

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

nvidia throws just enough to nouveau to get barebones functionality, but that's it

i don't understand what kind of person would intentionally buy nvidia hardware if they are allergic to proprietary drivers

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
hooray re: nouveau, i can't wait to actually be able to try wayland

want that pretty desktop without tearing

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

The_Franz posted:

nvidia throws just enough to nouveau to get barebones functionality, but that's it

i don't understand what kind of person would intentionally buy nvidia hardware if they are allergic to proprietary drivers

i'm not sure what kind of person would even bother with 3d on linux if they are allergic to proprietary drivers

the nvidia stack is the only one that actually works

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

attn mods: posts from 2008 are somehow being mixed in with current ones please look into it

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

The_Franz posted:

attn mods: posts from 2008 are somehow being mixed in with current ones please look into it

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

it's the year of Linux on the desktop, WONTFIX

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
good news, nerds, linux finally has a great desktop window manager https://github.com/trunkmaster/nextspace

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

this is a really good shellscript: https://github.com/rupa/z/

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

this is a really good shellscript: https://github.com/rupa/z/

how frecently do you use it?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

psiox posted:

good news, nerds, linux finally has a great desktop window manager https://github.com/trunkmaster/nextspace

i unironically wish i could still use windowmaker as my desktop environment, but there's so many tiny things where dock apps just don't exit, and the alternatives don't work so well due to lack of a system tray.

e: lol in the install instructions:
5. Disable SELinux.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Truga posted:

e: lol in the install instructions:
5. Disable SELinux.

lol i feel like i know so much about the authors now

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
disabling selinux, which breaks all kinds of things out of the box, is cool and good

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
selinux is a good idea implemented incredibly poorly

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

BobHoward posted:

disabling selinux, which breaks all kinds of things out of the box, is cool and good

and now we found the target user for the world's most broken window manager

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
selinux works fine you're just an idiot

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

BobHoward posted:

yes, it breaks things because if you want to do things properly you have to set things up properly

that said, there are times when you need to disable them. even in "production". for an unrelated example anything involving say disabling ssh fingerprint checks is always accompanied by giant NEVER EVER DO THIS signs everywhere... except maybe you're setting up a station to configure initially flashed network appliances that will always initially report the same ip address so you'd be concerned if the fingerprint wasn't different.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

BobHoward posted:

lmbo

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

BobHoward posted:

weird, issues with wmaker i had on fedora were entirely unconnected to selinux

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

psiox posted:

let's start a new objective-c project in tyool 2020, sure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

Sapozhnik posted:

let's start a new objective-c project in tyool 2020, sure
Yes, that's definitely the reason this is crazy.