Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

I'm like 70% sure you could find a picture of Mookie's wife in a witch costume on his instagram or something. This definitely feels like a self-insert fantasy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Don't go looking for pictures of Mookie's wife

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

If you go to Mookie's instagram you'll find a lot of shirtless pics of him more than anything else

he's actually in pretty good shape

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Dear Instagram,

today I

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

I do not have Instagram and I would not go to Mookie's social media accounts. It's just that the ink witch makes me think sexy Halloween costume. And Snout looks like Mookie. So I feel like this is playing out the same Luna/ Dominic self-insert fantasy

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012
I do think there's going to some kind of self-insertion or self-indulgence happening soon, if there isn't already, but speculating on if his family will be involved is going down a bad road.

Anyway, tell me if I've missed something here. The Ink Witch wants those pages about Dominic. It's not exactly clear why she wants them beyond wanting to find "the truth", but clearly she cares enough to endanger herself and a stranger trying to collect the pages. When Snout lost the pages, she suddenly cut off contact with him; the natural read to this is that she was upset about the turn of events and possibly at Snout himself. It's not stated what she's been doing since then. No explanation for why her ship was in the area and why it crashed, unless we're supposed to guess she was trying to find Snout for some reason. There is also the question of if she's still being chased, or if she's going to try again to steal the pages.

As for Snout himself, he's gone through one dangerous task after another trying to solve the mysteries before him. His home has been destroyed. The closest thing he has to an ally has withheld information from him at various points, then tried to bear hug him out of the blue, something he clearly wasn't comfortable with.

So, what I'm left asking is... Why does Ink Witch completely forget her motivations less than one page later and go "what now?" Why does Snout decide to invite her to town with him, why does she agree to it, and why are they just happily walking off as if there hasn't been any exploding houses or murderous trees or angry orcs in their lives the past few days? Almost everything about both the narrative and their motivations was ignored for this detour. I'm sure they'll be back soon, but I'm trying to wrap my mind around why they're both just shrugging off all that's happened.

The only explanation that makes sense to me is if Snout really is that trusting, and if the Ink Witch is exploiting that and trying to befriend him so she can use him later. Granted, with how much Mookie seems to adore Ink Witch, even if that was the case she probably wouldn't be the villain, and the entire narrative will bend around her to show why she's actually justified meddling with strangers' lives like this. It's happened before with Dominic and the other Deegans, and... and oh god.

What if Ink Witch is a Deegan, too? The ending of DD revealed Dominic and Luna had kids. (Presumably adopted ones, but when actually asked Mookie went :iiam: and suggested that they could've been biological. Doesn't really matter in this context.) Or, if not her, then maybe some other character they'll meet who could be the real Legacy of Dominic Deegan. It's a baseless theory that has no foundation whatsoever, but it's the kind of twist I could see happening.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3
The dogged refusal to reveal inkwich's name definitely points to her being a Deegan, and her investigating her lineage would explain why she cared about Dominic.

Or maybe she just named herself Deegan for no reason like in Star Wars

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

MiracleFlare posted:

When Snout lost the pages, she suddenly cut off contact with him; the natural read to this is that she was upset about the turn of events and possibly at Snout himself.

The orc dispelled the pagefinder spell she was using to communicate with him.

MiracleFlare posted:

So, what I'm left asking is... Why does Ink Witch completely forget her motivations less than one page later and go "what now?" Why does Snout decide to invite her to town with him, why does she agree to it, and why are they just happily walking off as if there hasn't been any exploding houses or murderous trees or angry orcs in their lives the past few days?

Good point! Why doesn't she just make a new ship? Why is Snout suddenly in charge?

The answer to all this, of course, is that Mookie is a bad writer and hasn't thought the character motivations through at all, and all their actions serve only to carry them to the next scene he happened to think up, regardless of whether it makes any sense.

Invisible Clergy posted:

The dogged refusal to reveal inkwich's name definitely points to her being a Deegan, and her investigating her lineage would explain why she cared about Dominic.

Or maybe she just named herself Deegan for no reason like in Star Wars

We also now know there is a whole order of Ink Witches so it makes no sense for her not to have a name, but she continues to call herself "THE Ink Witch".

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
The Ink Witch doesn't have a name because Mookie liked 'The Ink Witch' and didn't put any thought into it beyond that. She is The Ink Witch (who also happens to be an ink witch), and she exists as an object to validate Snout's existence. She isn't a person.

She is a sexy lamp that gives his life purpose and meaning.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

PoptartsNinja posted:

The Ink Witch doesn't have a name because Mookie liked 'The Ink Witch' and didn't put any thought into it beyond that. She is The Ink Witch (who also happens to be an ink witch), and she exists as an object to validate Snout's existence. She isn't a person.

She is a sexy lamp that gives his life purpose and meaning.
Boring Witchy Dream Girl

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Rotten Red Rod posted:

If you go to Mookie's instagram you'll find a lot of shirtless pics of him more than anything else
ahem

Who What Now posted:

Don't go looking for pictures of Mookie's wife

Rotten Red Rod posted:

he's actually in pretty good shape
and definitely do not try to match against Snout's treasure trail.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Fish Noise posted:

ahem

and definitely do not try to match against Snout's treasure trail.
Is there a stonklol-like for "please don't, but if you do, and it is a perfect match, I kinda wanna know because WOW"?

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

YF-23 posted:

Nothing stopping him from adopting an orphan from mongreltown together with the ink witch now that they have confessed their love to each other by being together for five minutes.

Nah, they'll use Luna's magic eggs so they can really be their kids!

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

There's just...no content. There's nothing here. Are they going towards Mongreltown? Away? who knows, who cares? There wouldn't be anything there for them once they got there. It's like staring into. a void.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

So that sign to Mongreltown was like just a mile marker in the middle of nowhere?

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
When Mookie puts in detailed backgrounds, it draws attention to the fact that 99% of the time, the world is a blank void.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

That canyon is without exaggeration a giant vagina. Why?

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
you know why.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler
Where the gently caress are they! And how long have they been traveling? Those are completely different biomes.

I mentioned a week or two ago that I like that cascading dry ink particle effect. Well gently caress me, because that’s the only ink effect Mookie knows, so we’ll be seeing it over and over again. Even when it doesn’t really fit, like the tree in the bottom panel.

Drunk Theory fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Feb 14, 2020

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Drunk Theory posted:

Where the gently caress are they!
Forget it, Jake, they're in the Mild Edge.

quote:

And how long have they been traveling? Those are completely different biomes.
hosed if I know.

I think at times like this, the Mild Edge literally being a featureless void bears repeating. The way the venus flytraps teleported into frame and then vanished just as quickly, I think that's how these biomes work. Snout walks 50 feet, there's a tree. He walks another 50 feet, there's a canyon. And so on. Interspersed between these things is more void.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I don't hate this page? It's bad because of the pacing and plotting and everything before it, but out of context, these are some nice panels.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Maybe it's due to the cursed bridal shower poop cake posted in GBS but that last panel looks like they're sitting underneath a giant turd impaled on a tree, that's just, shedding poop flakes.

Invisible Clergy posted:

That canyon is without exaggeration a giant vagina. Why?

I'm glad someone else said this because I was wavering on whether I was just imagining it.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

PMush Perfect posted:

I don't hate this page? It's bad because of the pacing and plotting and everything before it, but out of context, these are some nice panels.

Even viewing them purely in a vacuum and not as a daily update in an ongoing comic, it's still a picture of a vagina and then a bush, so I will respectfully disagree.

No dialogue, though.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Okay, now that y'all have said it, that's definitely a vagina and a turd on a fork.

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:
Poking the letters made them explode but the tree can withstand two people leaning against it. Consistency!

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

Baller Ina posted:

Poking the letters made them explode but the tree can withstand two people leaning against it. Consistency!

I actually had no idea it was meant to be an ink tree until you brought this up.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'd just like to chime in and say "deegan" is a dumb-rear end name

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

RBA Starblade posted:

Mookie's D&D buddies probably thought so too when they ejected him from their campaign from being unable to shut up about Dominic Deegan

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

RBA Starblade posted:

It's a real name. Irish I believe.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deegan

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Oh

Sorry other deegans

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Drunk Theory posted:

I mentioned a week or two ago that I like that cascading dry ink particle effect. Well gently caress me, because that’s the only ink effect Mookie knows, so we’ll be seeing it over and over again. Even when it doesn’t really fit, like the tree in the bottom panel.

I assume he bought an ink brush pack for whatever he works in

Roleplaying Larry
Dec 5, 2008
He’s trying to desensitize us to nudity for the eventual sex scene between these two.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

TheHan posted:

I actually had no idea it was meant to be an ink tree until you brought this up.

I thought it might have been but frankly this comic is so bad at visual storytelling that it might just be a tree. I refuse to have any confidence in Mookie's ability to show details.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Tesseraction posted:

Maybe it's due to the cursed bridal shower poop cake posted in GBS but that last panel looks like they're sitting underneath a giant turd impaled on a tree, that's just, shedding poop flakes.

I'm glad someone else said this because I was wavering on whether I was just imagining it.

You can’t just mention that and not link to it.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

Mors Rattus posted:

I thought it might have been but frankly this comic is so bad at visual storytelling that it might just be a tree. I refuse to have any confidence in Mookie's ability to show details.

It’s too bad this page is just chock full of content, if he coulda squeaked two or three more panels in there it would’ve been easy to notice.

Also gonna bet it all on this scenario: When the two stop to rest for the night Snout will get naked, and the ink witch will go “Oh, so we’re doing that” then she’ll get naked, and Snout will freak out like in the animes.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
As a feminist, I thought it was appropriate to draw as many gratuitous vulva shots as gratuitous dick pics. I also wanted confront the male gaze and flex my artistic muscles to show that a live woman's body isn't inherently sexual.

Rock on. Rocks off.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I can't believe Werewolf Jones is dead.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

TheHan posted:

You are not alone. Due to the inconsistency of the landscape in the wild edge, I thought they just randomly found a tree in the void and Mookie wanted to show off his ink filter. I didn't think the witch used her brush. That matters, I guess. If she can just make poo poo, why aren't they flying in a ship or something? Why are they walking?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
So, if everything that particular shade of black is ink, does that include the Ink Witch's dress?

... Stupid question, of course it does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Yes, based on the previous illustrations he's done of her, she is literally Ink Bayonetta, her dress is made of ink. It's possible he changed his mind about that for the comic though. (But I doubt it.)