Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

There's some pretty serious cognitive dissonance going on in your post between "why would that lady let her kids lay on fiberglass in their mattress, which they should totally have known about!" and also "fiberglass in mattresses is among the least possibly harmful solutions".

Nope.

Fiberglass isn't a chemical that is carcinogenic. :v:

ed: On the gradient between "flame resistant chemicals that have been shown to contribute to cancer risk" to "wool," fiberglass isn't that far away from wool.

Synastren fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Nov 22, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Synastren posted:

Nope.

Fiberglass isn't a chemical that is carcinogenic. :v:

ed: On the gradient between "flame resistant chemicals that have been shown to contribute to cancer risk" to "wool," fiberglass isn't that far away from wool.
Um, do you not understand why having fiberglass shooting all over your room is a health concern? It's not as much about it being a potential carcinogen.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Um, do you not understand why having fiberglass shooting all over your room is a health concern? It's not as much about it being a potential carcinogen.

The point is that other fire retardant options are carcinogenic or so bad for you that fibreglass is actually one of the best options we have.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

...except every mattress that isn't cheap made-in-China poo poo (and even many of those!) don't use it.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Have I made a terrifying mistake by ordering a Tulo on sale today?

I’ve sat on one in a mattress firm store it seemed fine, not my favorite but for this price probably pretty great?

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

CaptainPsyko posted:

I’ve sat on one in a mattress firm store it seemed fine, not my favorite but for this price probably pretty great?

tulo is a perfectly good bed in a box. I'd feel fairly confident in the purchase if you didn't get the firm one--that one tends to come back relatively frequently for (shockingly) being too firm.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

CaptainPsyko posted:

Holy poo poo what a trashfire of a company this is among the worst customer service experiences I’ve ever had, and I still don’t have a mattress.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I think this Nectar is the perfect firmness for side sleeping. Lately I've been sleeping with someone who has a Casper and it feels too soft for me.

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

I've got a Brooklyn Bedding mattress from a couple years ago, before they even had a line of hybrids I think, and lately I'm finding that it's super comfortable when I first get into bed but if I wake up after a couple hours it just feels like there's no support anymore. I'm in the 250lb range and a hot sleeper, and my girlfriend's body temp is roughly 700-degrees (but she's always cold?). Is it just the weight/body temp combo that does that to memory foam, or is it just a lovely mattress that's worn out after two years?

Thinking about upgrading to a hybrid of some sort if that will fix the problem.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Simmons Beautyrest/Beautysleep memory foam from $189: https://www.bradsdeals.com/p/434673?c_id=4340&u_id=67424549&d=012120

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

So I'm tempted by this, but I'd love any insight on it. I'm a side sleeper, 215lbs (and hopefully dropping), and I definitely don't like a stiff mattress. If I had hella cash I'd roll the dice on a Purple 4, but since I don't getting this for under $500 looks appealing.

TITTIEKISSER69 fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jan 21, 2020

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

The purple 3 is hilariously way too squishy for me (I got the 2). Have you actually laid in a purple 4? If not, I really wouldn’t recommend it unless you really really really like a mattress that feels like an abyss.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Doesn't matter, likely not buying a Purple any time soon.

Anyone have thoughts on the Simmons models in that sale?

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

I'd suggest the 10 inch option if you can swing it. I'd expect the 8 inch model to be extremely firm.

Aircool foam is really airy, and 2 inches isn't enough to really cushion the shoulders and hips imo. Adding an extra inch to the core foam AND the comfort foam suggests that 10 inch is superior in virtually every way.

See also:

Matt Firm is running a bed-in-a-box sale in a similar price range. 8 inch at 299, 10 inch at 399, 12 inch at 499.

https://www.mattressfirm.com

You can try those instore to get a better idea of what they feel like.

Good luck goons!

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Gracias!

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Update: The Winkbeds Luxury Firm (Hybrid) I've used since early September has been great and I miss it dearly when I'm out of town for a few days. No wear, sagging, etc after nearly 6 months so I am hoping it makes it at least 5 years without any issues.

From July to Sept I had their PLUS mattress, which ended up actually being too firm as a side sleeper. The exchange was very easily handled via email. I'll be getting a Queen version to upgrade my guest room this year as well.

My only gripe is they don't install handles on their mattresses, so it is a PITA to flip/move.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

And now I just discovered this sale, what should I expect from Energex gel foam? https://www.tanga.com/deals/6cf7f87dad4d/dreamfoam-bedding-slumber-essentials-haven-8-cooling-gel-mattress

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
Any recommendations for mattress shopping in Canada? Not all the same mattress companies are available here. I'm a little wary of a plain BiaB, so I'm intrigued by Leesa's Hybrid, which I know is available at The Bay.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
^ My 12" Lucid Latex Hybrid has been absolutely great, but I couldn't tell you if it's available in Canadian stores as I bought it off Amazon.

- - -

Tell me about full-size bed frames that don't require a box spring too. I tried checking the Amazon and Walmart sites and theyre just infested with Linus SKUs as far as the eye can see.
Their metal ones are thin, cheaply stamped, spot-welded garbage, and the wooden options have reviews that consistently mention insufficiently reinforced center legs.

Budget: I'm open to suggestion, but I can't really justify higher than USD $400/ CAD $550, and lower is better.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Feb 13, 2020

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Zinus?

I got the Zinus "Gene" 16" metal model for the Winkbed Cal King back last July and it's been more than sturdy. I figured it would need at least some plywood on top of it but it's held up fine.

You just need a bigger sticky pad under the mattress (than what they provide ) to keep it from sliding around.

The only small issue is that the optional skirt works but is made of very flimsy material.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Feb 13, 2020

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

Mister Facetious posted:

Tell me about full-size bed frames that don't require a box spring too.

Ikea

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Canadian ikea has lower review scores than amazon, if you can believe it.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

Mister Facetious posted:

Canadian ikea has lower review scores than amazon, if you can believe it.

That shouldn't be a factor for you because no one leaves reviews on Ikea's site compared to reviews being a huge part of Amazon's entire biz model. And you can go to Ikea and look at the things.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Scudworth posted:

And you can go to Ikea and look at the things.

No, no I can't. The closest one is two hours away by freeway, and I don't own a car.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum
I meant that as another reason why the reviews are less significant than Amazon's faith-based on photos review system being more important, but I worded it poorly and apologize. "You" but not YOU you.

tinytort
Jun 10, 2013

Super healthy, super cheap
Suggestions for replacing a full-size mattress in a basement bedroom? The one I'm sleeping on right now has a hole in it (which I discovered when I flipped it over to keep from getting a serious dip in it), and the coils/wires are getting stabby if I'm not careful about how I lay down, and just generally uncomfortable to lay down on or sit on.

Budget is definitely an issue, since I'm in a Vimes' Boots situation where the more expensive options that will last for more than a couple years are too expensive for me to get. I'm just looking for "whatever is cheapest, will last at least a few years, and is good for someone who sleeps on their stomach and side".

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Scudworth posted:

I meant that as another reason why the reviews are less significant than Amazon's faith-based on photos review system being more important, but I worded it poorly and apologize. "You" but not YOU you.

I'm sick this week, so the ol' cpu isn't at full clocks, if you get me. :unsmith:

tinytort
Jun 10, 2013

Super healthy, super cheap
So, looking at getting a biab in Canada. Sleepopolis claims the best mattresses available from Canadian companies are: Endy, Douglas, Polysleep, Casper (of loving course), Recore, Brunswick, Novosbed, and Logan & Cove. For U.S. brands that are available in Canada and won't charge for shipping, it's Leesa, Loom & Leaf, Saatva, Zenhaven, Bear, and Purple.

I am, obviously, not even touching a Casper if there's a better option. And I'm tempted by Purple, since it has had a lot of good reviews within this thread. But I don't know anything about any of the other options.

Details: I need a full-size mattress rather than a queen. My budget is around 1-2k CAD thanks to the Trudeaubux; I'd prefer to spend less if possible, but I'm not about to cheap out on this. Due to the current pandemic, being able to go anywhere and try a mattress in a store is out of the question.

I'm a fairly dedicated stomach sleeper, although I've woken up on my side or back at times. I don't care about how cooling the mattress is; I sleep pretty cool already, and am piling as many blankets onto the bed as I can because I'm too cold. I have done enough research to know that firmer is likely better for me, to get enough support.

Has anyone heard of the Canadian options that aren't Casper? Any negatives/positives worth mentioning? Should I wait for as long as I can get the current mattress to hold out (not much longer, honestly, I can feel every coil in this bastard) until there's a sale on?

...is anything even going to be shipping right now?

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

tinytort posted:

Has anyone heard of the Canadian options that aren't Casper? Any negatives/positives worth mentioning?

I got a Douglas and I've had it for 8 months. My sister got an Endy and tried mine afterwards, said mine was firmer but barely noticeable difference. Both of us have no complaints. It's a mattress doing mattress things :shrug:

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I want to use my $1200 Trump Bucks to buy my first ever new mattress.

I like semi soft and cool, with an emphasis on COOL.

Any suggestions?

E: I have inherited a very, very nice hardwood bedroom set that includes a bed frame, so I'd like a mattress that I can use with my existing frame.

Annath fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Apr 14, 2020

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
I'm 6'4 260 pounds side/stomach sleeper. My wife is a 5'5 150 pound side/stomach sleeper. We don't really want to go shopping in person for a mattress. Most online places seem to suggest the purple 2 is the best for us, but consumer reports pretty definitively recommends the avocado green for our situation. I hadn't even heard of this brand. Any opinions on this?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

FWIW my Nectar is pretty great as a ~6'3" 210lb side/stomach sleeper.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

joepinetree posted:

I'm 6'4 260 pounds side/stomach sleeper. My wife is a 5'5 150 pound side/stomach sleeper. We don't really want to go shopping in person for a mattress. Most online places seem to suggest the purple 2 is the best for us, but consumer reports pretty definitively recommends the avocado green for our situation. I hadn't even heard of this brand. Any opinions on this?

I'm only tangentially familiar with Avocado, so I can only speak to Purple from my professional expereince.

Given your sleeping style, I'd recommend the original Purple over the 2. We've had a lot of issues with side sleepers on the Purple2-- it is generally regarded to be significantly firmer, and somewhat uncomfortable for side sleepers. I personally direct side sleepers to either the original or 3, given what we've seen nationally and regionally.

I'd expect the Avocado green to be quite firm in general--I've yet to see a soft Dunlop latex. I'm confident it would perform well for your stomach sleeping needs, but would strongly recommend going with the pillowtop if either of you spend appreciable time on your side.

Either option seems adequate, I would just recommend going a bit softer than the Purple2 or going for the pillowtop option on the Avocado!

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

I have a queen Tulo and really like the bed generally, except every once in a while i super overheat and wake up to the mattress part i'm lying on being mega hot and the rest of the bed is nice and cool. Any recommendations for some sort of cool mattress top?

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

joepinetree posted:

Purple 4, spend the cash.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Thanks, I'll take those into account. What about bed frames with slats? Manufacturers seem to say it's fine, but review sites say they will void warranty..

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I've got 2 Winkbeds now in my house and I'll vouch for their quality and with the $300 discount, a really good deal. They need handles on the things though!

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

joepinetree posted:

Thanks, I'll take those into account. What about bed frames with slats? Manufacturers seem to say it's fine, but review sites say they will void warranty..

As long as the slats are less than 2 inches apart, you shouldn't have any warranty concerns, regardless of the manufacturer. If it's good enough for Stearns & Foster, it should certainly be good enough for Internet McBoxbed.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Anyone have pillow recommendations for a back/side sleeper? I'm mostly a back sleeper, but I've been finding myself wanting to turn to my side from time to time and thats where my current pillow feels a bit lacking in support? (Though, I think it might be -almost- lacking in support on my back as well since I noticed I put my hands under it a lot) What I have is just some thing from IKEA, and while it doesn't get too hot and gets the job done, I assume I could probably have something a bit nicer??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Culex
Jul 22, 2007

Crime sucks.
After using this thread to research, I've pulled the trigger and have a mattress coming Wednesday! From mattress firm, a Jubilant pillow top 2. My current mattress is at least 20 years old and when I lay on it, springs can poke me in the hips! It was time. Thanks, Synastren!