Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Lobok posted:

"loving" Cesar Romero? As if he isn't an awesome Joker and perhaps the most comic accurate take on him yet? Moustache aside, that is.

Seriously. I'm not even particularly into 60's Batman (such a thing as too campy) and even I think Romero's delightful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Lobok posted:

"loving" Cesar Romero? As if he isn't an awesome Joker and perhaps the most comic accurate take on him yet? Moustache aside, that is.

:hai:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Romero's an awesome Joker. Genuinely creepy too.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I think the idea isn't that Romero sucked, but that it's weird to outright 100% exclude the guy who had the role like 4 years ago, and also pull the guy who had it on TV before most of us were born

Also, the Joker is an inconsistent enough character with enough wildly different takes on him that ranking the different incarnations is always going to inherently be personal preference above all else, making it a fundamentally pointless exercise, but meh

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Right, the Joker is basically a blank canvas you can paint anything on.

He can be a nihilistic moriarty type 4 steps ahead of anyone else, a sociopathic murderclown or a street level gangster or a anarchist or all of the above.

As an aside, personal objections to Leto aside, he did a great job with that brand of joker and the outrage of the face tattoos is silly

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Jared Leto Joker will be more appreciated as time goes on. Nerds are loving stupid.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I think the idea isn't that Romero sucked, but that it's weird to outright 100% exclude the guy who had the role like 4 years ago, and also pull the guy who had it on TV before most of us were born

Also, the Joker is an inconsistent enough character with enough wildly different takes on him that ranking the different incarnations is always going to inherently be personal preference above all else, making it a fundamentally pointless exercise, but meh

It’s not that weird. Leto sucks complete rear end all around.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

jared's leto joker's biggest issue is that he was in one movie, and that movie didn't even have a batman, and the movie was mediocre and forgettable. he barely had a chance to really shine in the role.

hell he wasn't even the villain of the movie, he was a side character that had little impact on the story and could have been excised from the movie without affecting it.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Jared Leto Joker will be more appreciated as time goes on. Nerds are loving stupid.

there's not much to appreciate, he's in the movie for about like 5 minutes

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Whole lotta people in here not mentioning Mark Hamill.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

piratepilates posted:

jared's leto joker's biggest issue is that he was in one movie, and that movie didn't even have a batman, and the movie was mediocre and forgettable. he barely had a chance to really shine in the role.

hell he wasn't even the villain of the movie, he was a side character that had little impact on the story and could have been excised from the movie without affecting it.

Batman was in that movie though.

Didn't get to directly interact with him, but he was there!

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Baron von Eevl posted:

Whole lotta people in here not mentioning Mark Hamill.

BTAS is an unfair measuring stick for other Bat-media.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I will die a happy man the day goons stop talking about star wars, transformers, star trek, and btas

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Vandar posted:

Batman was in that movie though.

Didn't get to directly interact with him, but he was there!

was he? I was going to say he might have been but I honestly didn't remember him. which batman even was that? baffleck?

god that movie is so forgettable, I forgot will freaking smith was in it of all people.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Brother Entropy posted:

there's not much to appreciate, he's in the movie for about like 5 minutes

So then why does he inspire such endless internet opprobrium?? I'm not making it up that poo poo is real.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

So then why does he inspire such endless internet opprobrium?? I'm not making it up that poo poo is real.

because he's in it for all of five minutes, neither the movie itself or really anyone in the movie beyond harley give a poo poo about the joker at all

though personally i found that one of the few straight up positives of suicide squad, i feel like it's the first DC thing i've seen in years that has the joker in it without dick-riding the joker and just treating him like just another criminal boss

(and there's also the whole 'jared leto is a sex pest' thing that colors things)

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Also didn't help that the publicists kept making noise about how it was so extreme they had a therapist on staff to help the actors cope with how extreme it was. EXTREEEME!!

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Casimir Radon posted:

Also didn't help that the publicists kept making noise about how it was so extreme they had a therapist on staff to help the actors cope with how extreme it was. EXTREEEME!!

oh yeah that too, the PR stuff was both incredibly eye-rolly and kind of tastelessly trying to ape some of the stuff surrounding ledger's joker role so people were already primed to not like leto's joker before the movie was even out

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Jared Leto brought Mountain Dew code red and pop rocks to set, demanding that Margot mix them together

He attempted to do kick flips on a skateboard and fell flat on his face claiming he meant to do that

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I will die a happy man the day goons stop talking about star wars, transformers, star trek, and btas

And yet you participate in society

Alan Smithee fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Feb 13, 2020

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

piratepilates posted:

was he? I was going to say he might have been but I honestly didn't remember him. which batman even was that? baffleck?

god that movie is so forgettable, I forgot will freaking smith was in it of all people.

He's in several scenes. He's shown capturing Deadshot in the alley, then he has a chase scene where he's going after Harley and Joker in the Batmobile, they all go underwater and he saves Harley (and has an incredibly gross scene where he's giving her CPR) but can't find the Joker, and then Bruce Wayne is featured in the after credits scene (which was actually a pretty good scene imo).

And yeah, it was Batfleck.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Brother Entropy posted:

oh yeah that too, the PR stuff was both incredibly eye-rolly and kind of tastelessly trying to ape some of the stuff surrounding ledger's joker role so people were already primed to not like leto's joker before the movie was even out
It's like William Castle with no charisma.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Leto Joker, as an interpretation, is fine. After years of Joker being a character that’s a force of nature and agent of chaos is was kind of refreshing to just have a Joker that was about money. Jared Leto himself, however, is a weird creep and I wish anyone else was playing him.

Ledger is still the best Joker. Worst Joker ever is probably the guy they get for the Injustice and Mortal Kombat games. Most underrated Joker is John DiMaggio.

Pirate Jet fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Feb 13, 2020

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Punkin Spunkin posted:

May you live forever

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
The best Joker was Michael Shannon in Revolutionary Road and shame on the Academy for not recognizing that.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Oh hey, Sonic is already out here. How drunk should I get?

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Let me talk to you then about a little show called Gargoyles, and why it's better than the things you claim to like...

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Oh hey, Sonic is already out here. How drunk should I get?

make the g2g fast theme drink

ethanol
hot dog water
chili powder

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Alan Smithee posted:

make the g2g fast theme drink

ethanol
hot dog water
chili powder

That sounds like a great way to rapidly evacuate from both ends

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I tried looking for The Iron Mask imdb page

it literally doesn't exist :stare:

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That sounds like a great way to rapidly evacuate from both ends

Just play the ring sound when you do

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Alan Smithee posted:

I tried looking for The Iron Mask imdb page

it literally doesn't exist :stare:

Here you go.

Oh, no wait, this it it

quote:

Early 1700: Cartographer J.Green/Forbidden Kingdom (2014) is back to map Russian Far East. He's forced on to China, where he confronts the Dragon Master et al. The iron masked Russian Tsar escapes Tower of London to a Russian ship.

:hai:

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Feb 13, 2020

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
It's rare to see a film that looks simultaneously so cheap and so expensive. The fact that they could make a fight scene between Jackie Chan and Arnold Schwarzenegger look like a midwestern community theatre production is honestly impressive.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

apparently its been out in china already

feedmyleg posted:

It's rare to see a film that looks simultaneously so cheap and so expensive. The fact that they could make a fight scene between Jackie Chan and Arnold Schwarzenegger look like a midwestern community theatre production is honestly impressive.

I think it's the set extentions. Very CG

makes me think of Mulan though, and how it's not much better in that

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Also it's a sequel to a 2014 Russian film which only got a DVD release in the US
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1224378/

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Alan Smithee posted:

makes me think of Mulan though, and how it's not much better in that

Same. The trailer shot in Mulan where the army is running through the massive, empty flat plane of a desert before they jump up the walls is just embarrassing. I'm all for shifting away from realism in these things, but have some sense of artistry or taste.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

i will never watch suicide squad but every once i a while i remember all the articles about leto mailing will smith rats and poo poo and smile

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Also it's a sequel to a 2014 Russian film which only got a DVD release in the US

Which itself is a bizarre and dumb adaptation of a classic horror story (inspiration behind Mario Bava's Black Sunday) that included a British character for some reason (hoping to sell the movie outside of Russia?)

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I do wonder what a Russian affecting an english portrayal would look like

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

feedmyleg posted:

Same. The trailer shot in Mulan where the army is running through the massive, empty flat plane of a desert before they jump up the walls is just embarrassing. I'm all for shifting away from realism in these things, but have some sense of artistry or taste.

it reminds me of Nocnor Dozoi (Nightwatch) where Tamerlane's troops do just that. It actually looked good then

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://twitter.com/Kotaku/status/1227935005873188864?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Alan Smithee posted:

I do wonder what a Russian affecting an english portrayal would look like

You can't go wrong getting someone from Lock Stock & Two Smoking Barrels to play your English dude. :v:

Apparently they approached people like Christian Slater, Tim Roth, Sean Bean, Keanu Reeves, Pierce Brosnan, and Jason Statham for the role and Statham went "Uhhhhhh I might know a bloke who's more in your price range ...."

The entire production was pretty dodgy

quote:

In 2006, Russian producer Alexey Petrukhin and Russian director Oleg Stepchenko decided that they wanted to make a film based on the horror story of Viy by Nikolai Gogol. By then, two other projects based on Gogol's tale were in production, such as Taras Bulba film from 2009 and The Witch from 2006.

In order to secure the title, they needed without any further delay to release the information on the forthcoming project. In the course of three days, they filmed a teaser trailer where the role of Khoma Brutus was played by Petrukhin himself. Only after that did the active production of the film begin. When the teaser was shown in theaters, the script was not yet written and the actors were not cast.