Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Conclusions
Oct 18, 2003

The ball of yarn will be on your desk by Friday.
So if time is meaningless, Michael could have done his duty on Earth as a human and popped back before Eleanor walked through the door?
Or came back before he himself left for Earth?

Bearimy is a mystery to us all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

DoctorWhat posted:

Arist is right. It's like obsessing over scientific accuracy in Doctor Who. It is not what that show is about or cares about and if you're focusing on that, you are not actually watching the show they made.
Cinema Sins has set art criticism back by like three hundred years and convinced people that being media illiterate is not only just as good as being media literate; it's better.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

Cinema Sins has set art criticism back by like three hundred years and convinced people that being media illiterate is not only just as good as being media literate; it's better.

No idea what that is, can you explain?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

silvergoose posted:

No idea what that is, can you explain?

YouTube channel that summarizes movies by giving a 100-200 item list of the movies “sins” which are all weird nit pick triviality that tend towards absolute over literal interpretations, like hammering on “plot holes” that are just non literal jokes or artistic choices.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Khanstant posted:

Yeah, I've heard of that but it's just wrong so idk what to do with it. Nature/Nurture is a baby question, the actual answers are entertainingly complicated but it always boils down to it not being an either/or thing to begin with. Environment informs genetics, genetics inform the environment, and realistically, your gut bacteria likely play an equal role to the other things as well.

A baby question with actual answers that are entertainingly complicated? Well, that sounds like it could be a great question to examine in a show! I don't get how you can dismiss the question as a baby question or something you figure out in middle school, and yet the actual answers are entertainingly complicated. It sure sounds like the question is a bit more complicated than a baby question. I could give you the answer to a math question in preschool if I happened to stumble upon the correct answer by chance. That doesn't make it a baby question. If the question's answer requires graduate level mathematics to understand (one might call that entertainingly complicated) then it is a fairly complicated question.

In the end it was a bad TV show that I watched. It was entertainment, and I was looking for entertainment with a bit more substance and depth and exploration of possible answers, but not an actual philosophy lecture in episodic format. Instead it gave you an answer (that you would consider wrong) and assumed it to be fact for the rest of the show.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
I think the door is a metaphor for the show killing itself because it ran out of jokes.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

cosmicjim posted:

I think the door is a metaphor for the show killing itself because it ran out of jokes.

The door is a metaphor for a network choosing to end a show rather than endlessly renewing it until it is unceremoniously cancelled after losing its audience and everything that made it interesting and good.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Those are the same statement.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

The door isn't even a door. It's an arch.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
When is a door not a door?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

DoctorWhat posted:

When is a door not a door?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
When it's a raspberry jam jar.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Janet seeing everyone off was very fitting. With the revelation of how she experiences time, it was almost like she was an audience surrogate for a moment. Jason, Chidi, and Eleanor are still alive for her, just as they're still alive for us. D'Arcy Carden is a goddamn wonder with the subtle emotions she can portray with the slightest movements. I really hope we get to see a lot more of her in the future.

Her performance for the entire show has been fantastic and I don't even understand why. The character is basically a blank slate and yet it works. Like the level of talent to basically do every main character and talk to yourself for an entire episode is crazy.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
In the podcast, Jameela says that D’Arcy held herself slightly differently when she was playing Bad Janet pretending to be Good Janet. Usually when Janet is just standing there, she holds her thumb in her other hand. Playing BJPtbGJ, she held her other thumb, as a subtle tell that something was off. D’Arcy deserves all the accolades.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

The_Doctor posted:

In the podcast, Jameela says that D’Arcy held herself slightly differently when she was playing Bad Janet pretending to be Good Janet. Usually when Janet is just standing there, she holds her thumb in her other hand. Playing BJPtbGJ, she held her other thumb, as a subtle tell that something was off. D’Arcy deserves all the accolades.

She really is amazing in this show. I think the scene where they “murder” Janet in S01 is when this show went from ‘fun’ to ‘amazing’ in my mind. And that scene works so well because of Carden, she is hilarious as Janet and continued to show more and more depth as they went.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Ishamael posted:

She really is amazing in this show. I think the scene where they “murder” Janet in S01 is when this show went from ‘fun’ to ‘amazing’ in my mind. And that scene works so well because of Carden, she is hilarious as Janet and continued to show more and more depth as they went.

I watched that scene 3 times because of crying with laughter. D’Arcy’s gritted teeth ‘Look at them! LOOK AT THEM!” gets me every time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etJ6RmMPGko

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

"We have to flee your crime scene!"

God this show was so loving good :allears:

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

So at what point do they stop the tests and just say "gently caress it, this guy's a lost cause" and just torture them forever?

Brett was stuck in an interrogation room having basic ethical behaviour thoroughly explained to him point by point, which I imagine is the sort of last-resort scenario that a lot of history's monsters end up in.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

The_Doctor posted:

I watched that scene 3 times because of crying with laughter. D’Arcy’s gritted teeth ‘Look at them! LOOK AT THEM!” gets me every time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etJ6RmMPGko

feels weird she didn't say "not a robot" when they called her a robot.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
So, who gets into the Good Place in fewer Bearimies: Joseph Stalin, Adolph Hitler, or Henry Ford?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

bearimies are a closed loop so stalin made it less bearimies than hitler, hitler made it in less bearimies than ford and ford made it in less bearimies than stalin.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I'm still just super impressed by jameela jamil's ability to say the absolute dumbest poo poo with absolute kayfabe. I'd probably just watch the outtake real for the entire show by itself in one chunk on the reg.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

double nine posted:

bearimies are a closed loop so stalin made it less bearimies than hitler, hitler made it in less bearimies than ford and ford made it in less bearimies than stalin.

This is the best explanation yet.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

double nine posted:

And they all make it in fewer Bearimies than Brent.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Just got to chidis choice on the rewatch.

"It's my three favorite yogurts" I think will remain my favorite line from the show.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The time knife exchange is probably mine.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
His delivery is just fantastic.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Eleanor weepingly telling Chidi she's a legit snack is right up there for me, alongside Michael's pained reaction to the time Jason is the one who figures out they're in the Bad Place.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

All of those are amazing of course, but one of Netflix's images for the show was three cups of yogurt and that just sticks with me.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I was dying the other day watching the one where they pick pets and Tahani picks a centaur with herself as the human half, and the centaur-hani immediately starts ripping on her.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
The single best line in the show for me was simply "Chidi, wait up!"

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
I.. saw.. THE TIME KNIFE?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Honestly, the show has too many amazing moments for me to pick any one.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

pile of brown posted:

I.. saw.. THE TIME KNIFE?

I did. it was neat. :)

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
When did Michael start using 'bud'? It just seemed like a natural thing that started happening without people really noticing it.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

ApplesandOranges posted:

When did Michael start using 'bud'? It just seemed like a natural thing that started happening without people really noticing it.

Immediately after Jason did.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

It’s not a great line but Michael naming his dog Jason was my favorite part of the finale

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.
Rewatched the finale, and was able to enjoy it a lot more the second time. The first time I kept waiting for a twist that never came, so I didn't take the time to appreciate the goodbyes as they happened.

I think it was a beautiful idea to take the last episode of this show that has always been about the idea of life after death, and make it actually about death in the final moments. The way they approached death and the end of existence was really beautiful, and the bit with Chidi talking about the wave was incredible, and not something I ever thought I would see on network TV. (I have the Thich Naht Hahn book that example originates from, it's a beautiful book)

The final moment with Michael was the perfect mix of sad and funny, and reminded me of the Rural Juror song that closed out the finale of 30 Rock: Very moving, and very, very dumb. Exactly how this show has always done it.

Everything with the door was beautiful, and the final shot of Eleanor going through was truly moving. I'm gonna miss this awesome show.

But, since it is TVIV, let's do some nitpicks.

I think they missed an opportunity in "Patty" to set up the finale better. Hypatia talks about how they are all pleasure zombies, but escaping that isn't what the finale was about. Instead, what we really saw in the finale was people achieving a sort of transcendence and wanting to move on, and when they didn't (like Chidi) they got more and more unhappy. If they had showed that all the Good Place people hit a point of perfect peace and then weren't allowed to return to the universe like they wanted to, causing a form of torture, I think it would have made their solution to fixing the Good Place make more sense.

Looking at S4 as a whole, it is really obvious that the Test took up too much time. Brent, Simone and the rest were never as compelling as the main cast, and we wasted too much time on them. I wanted more time in the Good Place instead, figuring out that paradise wasn't so great and making the tough decision to create a new after-afterlife that allows people to dissolve into nothing and return to the universe.

I think that the last episode was a really great meditation on death, and it was really beautiful. We all have to die and none of us know what happens, and showing people facing that unknown with peace and contentment was a really moving idea. However, that was never really the heart of the show. The show was about friendship and how it can make us all better, and about how life sucks but we can all try to do a little better tomorrow than we did today. That message felt muted at the end, and instead we switched to a different (albeit very beautiful) musing on death and endings. I think that the scene in S3 where Eleanor decides that even though they are doomed, they can help others, is one of the most beautiful scenes in any media. I would have liked at least a bit more of that message at the end: Trying is better than not trying.

So those are my nitpicks, and they are definitely nitpicks. Overall, this show gets top marks for trying something new constantly, being so fuckin smart, and being incredibly funny. I don't know if I have ever laughed as hard at a TV show as when Michael explained Jeremy Bearimy and then Chidi was broken by the dot in the i. I had to pause the show and walk away to compose myself. So forking good.

Ishamael fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Feb 14, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Ishamael posted:

The final moment with Michael was the perfect mix of sad and funny, and reminded me of the Rural Juror song that closed out the finale of 30 Rock: Very moving, and very, very dumb. Exactly how this show has always done it.

I’m taking this opportunity to say that 30 Rock is finally coming to Blu-ray in April.