Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frekkie Melody
Feb 8, 2020

I found Factorio to be less entertaining when they took out alien poop. Before alien poop nerf. At least my factory had a goal. To build weapons of mass destruction to wipe out aliens for their precious poop. Returning back home in my tank with pockets full of treasure.

Now I just make a fortress of doom and then who cares? The aliens are unlimited so either they can get in or not. It's like if monster drops were removed from Don't Starve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Angie Fenrose posted:

I found Factorio to be less entertaining when they took out alien poop. Before alien poop nerf. At least my factory had a goal. To build weapons of mass destruction to wipe out aliens for their precious poop. Returning back home in my tank with pockets full of treasure.

Now I just make a fortress of doom and then who cares? The aliens are unlimited so either they can get in or not. It's like if monster drops were removed from Don't Starve.

Otoh, they added literal nukes and artillery, so you can still live out your bug murdering fantasies.

https://youtu.be/pDLIkfSLTmU

Frekkie Melody
Feb 8, 2020

DelphiAegis posted:

Otoh, they added literal nukes and artillery, so you can still live out your bug murdering fantasies.

https://youtu.be/pDLIkfSLTmU

I know, I know. But there was something special about returning with a pile of loot from said bug murdering and using that to make new and amazing things.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Angie Fenrose posted:

I know, I know. But there was something special about returning with a pile of loot from said bug murdering and using that to make new and amazing things.

That's fair, though I think the game is better for removing that aspect. Always mods to add them back in, if you want.

I did like that part of satisfactory, though. Jump starting some bio fuel production by murdering those charging pig things.

Frekkie Melody
Feb 8, 2020

DelphiAegis posted:

That's fair, though I think the game is better for removing that aspect. Always mods to add them back in, if you want.

I did like that part of satisfactory, though. Jump starting some bio fuel production by murdering those charging pig things.

I want to see a future in satisfactory where you shot down those flying whale things with missiles or massive cannons and then harvest their parts for rare and precious materials. And wiping whole segments of jungle clean with nuclear missiles to then build on the charred landscape (maybe even loot the materials that dropped when everything was wiped out) . But I feel like this focus on hyper-automation isn't moving in that direction.

I also found it odd how all resource nodes were unlimited. One of the motivators in factorio was that as you scoured the land like the Tyranids, you were forced to expand wider and wider at an accelerating pace just to feed the machine.

With the limitations of a 3D landscape you can't really copy paste your whole operation like in factorio to √ your entire setup every hour. I found even a fraction of the stone and iron nodes to be more than I ever needed (Though I did make massive buffer storages for all materials and left the game on at night)

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

They are limited in output I guess.

Frekkie Melody
Feb 8, 2020

euphronius posted:

They are limited in output I guess.

To a degree. But if you throw up five or ten double storage containers before and after raw materiel processing. And then again after every T1, T2, T3 etc material production step (and/or before the input of every production machine) then eventually you reach the point where you might have need of 100 T3 materials per second for 15 minutes to do something. And your whole factory produces maybe 100 T3 materials every 15 seconds. But you have a buffer that can support that 100 per second demand for 2 hours or 4 hours. The only limitation on the buffer is space and the world has unlimited space

Then it doesn't really matter how much the raw material nodes produce because the buffer storage can support any current project and between projects (and during the night/day) they refill.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

They could have them slow down (which matches Real life in a way) so you are motivated to find new patches but aren’t completely hosed by ore patches running out

Kind of like oil patches in factorio

Frekkie Melody
Feb 8, 2020

I think it would require a whole new map generation system since the map is made with unlimited nodes in mind.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I think they already have something like that with there being a bunch of the material up top to get you started with a bunch of materials and then you plop down a miner.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Oof, the green zone starting area may need to be reworked, with the new emphasis on water being necessary to mine coal, there's not enough rivers near where they have good coal deposits (in particular, there's three coal nodes on a cliff to the west of the map, nothing near them).

I got enough tickets at the ticket machine to try out the factory rover. This thing is TINY. It takes up one slot in your inventory until you deploy it and when you pop it out your character is comically hunched over inside its frame. It's fast, but it doesn't turn well on rough terrain, so you need to either find a natural path or have paved an area. It also doesn't require fuel currently, which is nice.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
The solution to all the problems is to first pave the world.

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Speedball posted:

I got enough tickets at the ticket machine to try out the factory rover. This thing is TINY. It takes up one slot in your inventory until you deploy it and when you pop it out your character is comically hunched over inside its frame. It's fast, but it doesn't turn well on rough terrain, so you need to either find a natural path or have paved an area. It also doesn't require fuel currently, which is nice.

Don't forget to honk and then launch yourself off of a jump pad for some extra fun.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

There's also some cute new animals about, including a tiny sand turtle

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***
Coming over from Factorio to Satisfactory is a bit of a shock.

I keep turning over my shoulder and twitching at all the wildlife. Its honestly a relief when something *is* hostile. Some awful mix of playing Bedrock Minecraft in VR , Factorio, Subnautica, and Deep Rock Galactic has made the atmosphere in Satisfactory seem very similar to the previously mentioned games in a way that has me on a razors edge at all moments. Honestly its the way the music builds, and the well built environments. I need to actually sit in and play with people, cause the lone builder vibe my first hours playing has given me has been pretty haunting.

Like out of everything ive played the game seriously has me thinking of Subnautica more than anything else really. I mean obviously its hellbent on being 3d factorio, but it really does remind me more of the former.

I think the hardest thing ive had to wrap my head around is just how different building vertically can change things from factorio. As soon as i unlocked platforms and stuff and the lifter thingy for my conveyers it really opened up some changes in how i started to think about my building space.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I sure hope they kept in the recipes that let you take screws out of your assembly line. I got Stitched Iron Plate so I'm getting there at least, I just hope they kept the alt-Rotor recipe *and* that the next batch of harddrives I find give it to me. Because I hate building screws.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Freaksaus posted:

Don't forget to honk and then launch yourself off of a jump pad for some extra fun.

My friend and I are already building a Mario Kart track for this thing.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

MarquiseMindfang posted:

I'm pretty sure this is intended gameplay.

Also building Mario Kart tracks integrated into your factory.

Just wait til they introduce checkpoints.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Feb 13, 2020

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
All I ask for is the ability to lob Nobelisks out of it and my life will be complete.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Why else would they include skate ramps in the foundations this time?

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer

MarquiseMindfang posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/SatisfactoryGame/comments/f35gnq/loop_the_loop_thanks_to_utheholotapes_for_the/

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Vasudus posted:

I sure hope they kept in the recipes that let you take screws out of your assembly line. I got Stitched Iron Plate so I'm getting there at least, I just hope they kept the alt-Rotor recipe *and* that the next batch of harddrives I find give it to me. Because I hate building screws.
i kinda like screws because that belt in my factory is all mk3 gottagofast while almost all of the rest can chill at mk1

the thought of buckets of screws making 90 degree turns at that speed is funny to me somehow

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Mother of God :getin:

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
Game is good again. I got bored when coal was the highest tech. This new update is amazing fun though. I built a power plant over a small lake beside a cliff and have tons of power going to my base now. Working towards tier 5 and 6 by building production plants.

It would be nice if there was an option to go to a third person maybe isometric view when building so you could place some stuff a little better.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
That's what lookout towers are for! : )

I'm refactoring my coal powerplant to put the generators at lake level and bring the coal downwards rather than the water upwards. :downs:

I found debugging why it wasn't flowing to be basically impossible. The water generator says it can do 600 units, each plant takes 50, I slammed a bunch of auxiliary pumps on the way up but the last generators on a chain of only 6 are super flaky leading to brownouts.

Perpetual
Sep 7, 2007

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

That's what lookout towers are for! : )

I'm refactoring my coal powerplant to put the generators at lake level and bring the coal downwards rather than the water upwards. :downs:

I found debugging why it wasn't flowing to be basically impossible. The water generator says it can do 600 units, each plant takes 50, I slammed a bunch of auxiliary pumps on the way up but the last generators on a chain of only 6 are super flaky leading to brownouts.

Pipes can only handle 300m3/minute in a pipe, so if you're running 5 big pumps on a single line they won't be able to run at full speed. 8 coal plants can run off 3 pumps (it's 45m3/min per, so 360 for 8) so what I've been doing is putting the 3 pumps in the middle of one long pipeline (essentially at the bottom of a really long U) so each side only needs a max flow rate of 180m3/min.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I think the numbers are inconsistent - I seem to recall seeing the 600 units per second for the water pump, but when I checked it, it only pumped 120 units per second. Maybe water type affects it? I built it in relatively shallow water.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

ymgve posted:

I think the numbers are inconsistent - I seem to recall seeing the 600 units per second for the water pump, but when I checked it, it only pumped 120 units per second. Maybe water type affects it? I built it in relatively shallow water.

I only played with it a few minutes, but I think the 600 units/s was the 'maximum' for the pump? So, yeah, either water type or maybe it's like power generators, and if you're not using the maximum output of the machine, it auotmatically underclocks to save resources?

Perpetual
Sep 7, 2007

ymgve posted:

Max flow rate displayed in the pump is 600, yes, but the pipes you connect to can only handle 300m3/min (which is the max you can overclock the pump to anyway). Until there's bigger pipes added to the game 300m3/min is the hard cap for one line in one direction.

120m3/min is the actual base production rate for the pump, it is incapable of reaching 600 for one pump as it stands.

Here's the way I have one of my generator areas set up:

Each side pumps uphill to a buffer, then 4 generators past that for a total of 8.

Perpetual fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Feb 13, 2020

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I wonder if the pipe junctions can act as balancers, with two in and two out.
E.g. connect a pipe with 240 in and one with 120 in, and get two with 180 out. Then merge each of those 180 pipes with a 120 pipe and you have two 300 pipes from five pumps.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

With as much as of a pain as water is to transport, I'm thinking it makes more sense to move the coal / nuclear fuel to the water, rather than moving the water to the existing power plants.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I'm absolutely doing the minimum amount of fluid transport as possible. There's no way I'm dealing with pump shenanigans more than I have to.

Also, you can indeed remove screws from your production line still. The ratios are changed but the recipes are still there, and still very much worth it.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Someone post some screenies of their pipe spaghetti

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I dunno if it's just because of the new desert map I'm playing on but man I'm having some nasty LOD problems with this experimental version. My buildings are turning into Lego from a few hundred yards away and I have everything maxed out. I tried setting everything to Medium to see if the ultra settings were just bugged but it doesn't seem to change. Anyone have any ideas or seeing the same thing?

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

So what I'm seeing is that each water source can provide 120 cubic meters per minute, at most, and each Coal plant consumes 45 cubic meters per minute when running flat out. I have been erecting 3 coal generators per 60/minute supply belt I can pull out of a mine, which means out on the far coast of the starting area, where there are 2 Impure, 1 Normal, and 1 Pure coal nodes, I have four groups of three generators, each fed by a water source with a pump. The power connections for the sources are such that I just need to deconstruct one cable to put them on their own isolated grid, so I can use burners to fill up all of the pipes and plants before I disconnect the burners and throw the big switch. It does mean that if I'm ever drawing over 800MW on this 900MW-capacity build, the factory is running on borrowed time until the extra water stored in the feed pipes is consumed and the source is being overdrawn by 15m3/m.

I've already started canning Steel Beams and Steel Pipes at a production area convenient to inland Coal and Iron deposits, so I'm close to Mk II miners and doubling coal power, which hopefully should be enough to get my first oil generators online.

Before that I'm going to be playing around with the new transit tube system; right now I've got the powerplant, the space elevator-HUB-canned production for everything up to Modular Frames, and the very new highlands steel operation. I just finished linking those last two via a huge stupid sky highway, so running the pipes themselves shouldn't be a big deal.

Frekkie Melody
Feb 8, 2020

So I guess the age of finding a distant cluster of coal nodes and throwing down 40 coal power plants for unlimited self sustaining power is long gone?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I'm eagerly awaiting what Let's Game it Out does with pipes.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Angie Fenrose posted:

So I guess the age of finding a distant cluster of coal nodes and throwing down 40 coal power plants for unlimited self sustaining power is long gone?

Just find the right coal nodes.
This is supplied by 4 normal nodes, and I could probably run another four plants off those. And that's just served by Mk1 miners.
(A coal plant at capacity burns one coal in 4 seconds, i.e. 15 coal/min.)

I realized the most sensible way to fill a pipe with water is just 3 water pumps underclocked to 100 m3/min each. At least if you're conscious of power use. A single pump overclocked by 250% would also do it, of course.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Pretty sure with the new Iron Wire and Cast Screws recipes that screws are actually good now. Especially since copper is kinda precious due to the high usage from electronics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

euphronius posted:

Someone post some screenies of their pipe spaghetti