Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Is that the one about the kid disappearing and the ex pedo guy is the prime suspect, but ~maine~ creepy poo poo happens?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fg5n4qHhwv8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReapersTouch
Nov 25, 2004

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I liked Bliss on Shudder.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Carpenter's got a musical collaboration out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmp-0wEegrY

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
So uh, is VFW just Reverse Green Room?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I saw Parasite last night, and I see why people were bringing it in this thread. Eyes in the dark is one of my big fears, so that shot was absolutely terrifying to me.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Thanks for recommending The People Under the Stairs! Just finished watching it, and my first thoughts are just that it was extremely fun. I especially liked Wendy Robie chewing the scenery, the only other thing I've seen her in is Twin Peaks and she apparently has a talent for playing severely unhinged characters

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

The sound mix and sound editing of Color Out of Space is incredible. Great flick in general.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

veni veni veni posted:

No joke, as a little kid this movie scared the poo poo out of me more than anything else for some reason. I still have no idea why to this day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzZ0XO4ly1g

.....attaboy LUTHER!

Thermite
Aug 16, 2006

Huzzah!
Just caught Bliss. Acting is a little rough in spots but I enjoyed it overall. Think MANDY but coke instead of acid.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Completely unrelated to anything, but what the hell is your avatar from?

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

Thanks for recommending The People Under the Stairs! Just finished watching it, and my first thoughts are just that it was extremely fun. I especially liked Wendy Robie chewing the scenery, the only other thing I've seen her in is Twin Peaks and she apparently has a talent for playing severely unhinged characters

Hell yea! that's a classic title. I would watch that whenever it came on TNT when I was a kid. Especially when Joe Bob Briggs was showing it on Monstervision.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

So uh, is VFW just Reverse Green Room?

That's what it looks like at least

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Just watched the trailer and... apparently it's "what if Green Room was also Hobo with a Shotgun"

I have gone from mildly interested to fully erect

e: The mention of it being produced by the same people as Bone Tomahawk and Brawl in Cell Block 99 had me worried for a second, but apparently it's just Fangoria

On that note that's also why I'm suspicious of them, for anyone who was curious, they were kinda the main people initially boosting Zahler

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Doctor Sleep director's cut was very good. I actually liked how it (pretty successfully) dovetailed the ending of The Shining (book) and the ending of The Shining (Kubrick). I feel like Flanagan nailed it. It's a fantastic adaptation that remains, somehow, faithful to both books and the original film.

I also watched Zombieland 2 afterwards and it was just as average as the original. Fine for a bit of time to waste.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

im trying to recall a movie that was posted in here or the old horror thread.

its black and white, i think, set in medieval or antiquity era, with a lot of strange pieces of machinery and metal that are animate or summoned or something. I think it was from Polish folklore or mythology too? maybe not from Poland but Euro for sure

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

alf_pogs posted:

im trying to recall a movie that was posted in here or the old horror thread.

its black and white, i think, set in medieval or antiquity era, with a lot of strange pieces of machinery and metal that are animate or summoned or something. I think it was from Polish folklore or mythology too? maybe not from Poland but Euro for sure

Is this it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19QZy1YHL50

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

that is 100% it. thankyou very much! it crawled into my memory tonight and i will watch it this weekend.

Thermite
Aug 16, 2006

Huzzah!

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Completely unrelated to anything, but what the hell is your avatar from?

An animated short called fortress: https://youtu.be/pyMNIFZTQkg

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I just saw Knife + Heart, and I loved it.

But I am kind of wondering: Is there some kind of moral or message to it that I'm too dumb to have gotten? Or is it one of those movies where you're just supposed to enjoy the ride for what it is?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

alf_pogs posted:

that is 100% it. thankyou very much! it crawled into my memory tonight and i will watch it this weekend.

November is great. It's almost like a really immersive piece of science fiction in the sense that you get tossed into this bizarre world and it's on you to kinda learn the rules. The characters see these things as just normal life and there's not a moment where like an audience POV character has the whole thing explained to them so you have to figure things out as you go.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Thermite posted:

An animated short called fortress: https://youtu.be/pyMNIFZTQkg

It’s got a sequel too!

https://youtu.be/IjJmTeBSEzU

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I just saw Knife + Heart, and I loved it.

But I am kind of wondering: Is there some kind of moral or message to it that I'm too dumb to have gotten? Or is it one of those movies where you're just supposed to enjoy the ride for what it is?

I loved it too, it was probably my third favorite film of last year behind Parasite and Marriage Story. I'm not sure there is much of a moral to the story, just like classic giallo films it goes for style and imagery over substance big time. I suppose just taking a genre that's normally about scantily clad women and replacing them with gay men is a statement in itself.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Knife + Heart would have been my 2019 movie of the year except 3 From Hell came out so that obviously wins

Seriously though its the only movie that does "neo-giallo" well

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Kvlt! posted:

Knife + Heart would have been my 2019 movie of the year except 3 From Hell came out so that obviously wins

Seriously though its the only movie that does "neo-giallo" well

Have you seen Cold Hell? That's the only other once I've seen that I'd call a successful neo-giallo. It's on Shudder.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoJc2tH3WBw

Holy poo poo!

e: From the writer and director of A Ghost Story! That's no moon, that's my horror chub!

TheOmegaWalrus fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Feb 13, 2020

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Holy poo poo indeed. This looks amazing.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Basebf555 posted:

Have you seen Cold Hell? That's the only other once I've seen that I'd call a successful neo-giallo. It's on Shudder.

Cold Hell starts out giallo and jumps genres every act, it's pretty great.
For neo-giallo, The Strange Colour of Your Body's Tears, come on!

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Don't bet against A24! Yeah that looks sick as hell.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

married but discreet posted:

Cold Hell starts out giallo and jumps genres every act, it's pretty great.
For neo-giallo, The Strange Colour of Your Body's Tears, come on!

I'm not a huge fan of The Strange Colour of Your Body's Tears. I thought Let the Corpses Tan was a lot better, but that's not a neo-giallo.

There's a stylistic line I think you can cross where the giallo elements become too over the top and distracting. I feel that way about The Strange Colour of Your Body's Tears and also The Editor.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Basebf555 posted:

I'm not a huge fan of The Strange Colour of Your Body's Tears. I thought Let the Corpses Tan was a lot better, but that's not a neo-giallo.

There's a stylistic line I think you can cross where the giallo elements become too over the top and distracting. I feel that way about The Strange Colour of Your Body's Tears and also The Editor.

I haven't seen Strange Colour (I like Amer though) but yeah I think they focus too much on making a giallo pastiche and emphasizing the stylish elements over everything else. Amer feels like it's imitating a giallo, where Knife+Heart actually is one, if that makes sense.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

flashy_mcflash posted:

Don't bet against A24! Yeah that looks sick as hell.

:yeah:

I trust A24, even the movies I didn't particularly care for didn't feel like a waste of time.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoJc2tH3WBw

Holy poo poo!

e: From the writer and director of A Ghost Story! That's no moon, that's my horror chub!

I'm hype for this.

OpenSourceBurger
Sep 25, 2019
What do you guys think is the best horror trailer of all time?

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
Why arn't more horror movies, or just movies in general, drawing from Arthurian legends?

That poo poo is a goldmine of some of the weirdest, most fantastical stories that the human mind has ever conceived of.

We have Excalibur and that's loving it.

OpenSourceBurger
Sep 25, 2019

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

Why arn't more horror movies, or just movies in general, drawing from Arthurian legends?

That poo poo is a goldmine of some of the weirdest, most fantastical stories that the human mind has ever conceived of.

We have Excalibur and that's loving it.

Mainly because they seem like box office poison. Last time they tried was that Guy Ritchie movie and it absolutely bombed.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

OpenSourceBurger posted:

Alien (& Prometheus).

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The Shining trailer is timeless.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

OpenSourceBurger posted:

It's a lion!

OpenSourceBurger
Sep 25, 2019

Remember when people in all seriousness were arguing Cloverfield was a secret Voltron movie based on that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

OpenSourceBurger posted:

Remember when people in all seriousness were arguing Cloverfield was a secret Voltron movie based on that

good times. arguing on the CHUD comments section about what you did and didnt hear, going to other message boards that had better screen caps and at the time high quality gifs!