Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I remember liking and enjoying The Messenger, but I only watched it the once, and never really felt a strong desire to watch it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

You think all the mondocheewans are sexy ladies in there :allears:

They are

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It even sounds like a 90's era cat call. "Check out the mondo chee ones on her"

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
I was at a house party in France and it got a bit dark in one of the rooms and someone shouted "Aziz! Lumière!"

We all laughed :unsmith:

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

the gold armor is a space chastity suit

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

I like to think so... I like to think so. But, I also want them to keep the suit on.

cirus
Apr 5, 2011
I am Korben Dallas

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Dash Rendar posted:

wtf this is a nuclear take.

i dunno, man. i get where you're coming from, and i do try to tune it out, but i still can't help seeing her performance that way.

it probably doesn't help that besson is most likely a real-life pedophile and rapist

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Besson is a sex pest for sure--it surprises me that that's how you read Leeloo Dallas Multipass though. Leeloo is portrayed is a capable adult women, albeit one with alien values who knows little about humanity. I mean, there's that creepy scene where Willis tries to kiss her while he thinks she's unconscious, and she stops him and rightfully chews him out for not getting consent.

Her performance is alien and weird and naive(idealistic?), and Corben Dallas is portrayed as a caveman weirdo, but that's a bit of a jump to "Bruce Willis hosed a child".

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Dash Rendar posted:

Besson is a sex pest for sure--it surprises me that that's how you read Leeloo Dallas Multipass though. Leeloo is portrayed is a capable adult women, albeit one with alien values who knows little about humanity. I mean, there's that creepy scene where Willis tries to kiss her while he thinks she's unconscious, and she stops him and rightfully chews him out for not getting consent.

Her performance is alien and weird and naive(idealistic?), and Corben Dallas is portrayed as a caveman weirdo, but that's a bit of a jump to "Bruce Willis hosed a child".

I think Corben Dallas' character is a subversion of action hero tropes. Yeah he's a badass ex special forces bro, but he's mainly a hopeless romantic and the movie ultimately concludes with him having to admit his feelings to the woman he's fallen in love with. It isn't his gunplay and heroism that saves the world, it's telling this girl he met that he loves her. And that love is what gives her the power to save the world.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Finger Prince posted:

I think Corben Dallas' character is a subversion of action hero tropes. Yeah he's a badass ex special forces bro, but he's mainly a hopeless romantic and the movie ultimately concludes with him having to admit his feelings to the woman he's fallen in love with. It isn't his gunplay and heroism that saves the world, it's telling this girl he met that he loves her. And that love is what gives her the power to save the world.

That's pretty much every Luc Besson hero

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Valarian's about learning to love and respect your wife even though you're a sanctimonious sex pest. I can see how this theme would resonate with a french sex pest visionary director.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

That's pretty much every Luc Besson hero

Oh for sure. And it's a very French thing I feel. His movies are a lot of the same stuff in a different coat, but the fact that they're different from everything else in the given genre is what makes them so interesting and fun to watch.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I read a thing in the NYT about this wildly popular French author who basically wrote only about having sex with adolescent boys and girls and how great it was and he was feted by the aristocratic elite for years and years, multiple government honors, until someone finally went, uh, and now I'm starting to think that all rich, arty French people are sex pests.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's like 60% of their brand as a country

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

zoux posted:

I read a thing in the NYT about this wildly popular French author who basically wrote only about having sex with adolescent boys and girls and how great it was and he was feted by the aristocratic elite for years and years, multiple government honors, until someone finally went, uh, and now I'm starting to think that all rich, arty French people are sex pests.

All rich are sex pests, because they can, hth.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hmmm this skunk seems over amorous, oh he's french I get it

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
vermine d'amour

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
a very french movie

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
remember when the literal devil calls Gary Oldman on the phone

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
That was Gary Oldman!?

:haw:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Jean-Baptiste.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Emmanuel.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Zorg.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
I did like that the protagonist and antagonist never once meet. Zorg and Corben Dallas only ever affect each other indirectly--like when Zorg Industries fires Dallas.

The closest they ever come to meeting is when Dallas and co enter one elevator while fleeing the cruise ship and Zorg almost immediately exits the one next to it on his way to find the bomb.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What was the black stuff that leaked out of Gary Oldman's head

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Either blood or hair gel

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

5th Element is a fun, well-made movie. It's one I can throw on and enjoy no matter what mood I'm in.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Dash Rendar posted:

wtf this is a nuclear take.

she's an adult. she was killed in the ship crash and her body reconstructed/resurrected from what was left of her right hand. when she wakes up she freaks out because her last waking moments were of her ship going down in flames.

all the learning she does is because she grew up in an alien culture. she is now learning about humanity and how hosed up it is compared to whatever her adopted home was. i forget their names. not the Mangalores, the giant gold aliens.

The mighty duck aliens

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Amelie's bf btw

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Also the general guy is also the replicant from the voight kamp test in blade runner (the tortoise in the desert guy)

Also uh, priest vito is old man bilbo

These are things I noticed when i watched it a week ago

Such a great movie. Doesn't take itself too seriously, fun, exciting, imaginative future setting with tons of cool little future society details that range from very believable to funny to both. Awesome costume and set design.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Just noticed this thread and I'm on! A! Roll! We tearin it up tonight in *reverb* Fiiiifth Elemeeent Thrreead!! here with my man Dash Rendar [Dash Rendar], he's cool, he's sexy *random sexy sound effect* he's strong, you got anything to say to the people tonight my man? *holds mic up to op*

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Gimme da cassshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Zane
Nov 14, 2007
leeloo is an ancient being and presumably very knowledable and self-possessed. but she also seems to be something like the idealized concept of love? and by inference extremely naive? idk. it's a bit open-ended. she's sort of besson's fantasy of the 'perfect' object of desire. but the script and jovovich's performance are large enough to transcend that.

Zane fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Feb 14, 2020

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

luc besson is a nonce and his films are creepy

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
being a sex freak is part of the constitution of frenchmen.

the president of france was literally taken from the cradle by his own high school math teacher and every single person in france is okay with that

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
French movies would be so dull if all the directors weren't sex weirdos

i'm not saying look up Immortel on youtube but i'm also not not not not not not saying that

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

sand maggot posted:

Is the Valerian 1000 planets movie any good like the fifth element? I know they’re made by the same guy

The Valerian comics are really good. Don't watch the movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 251 days!

Up Circle posted:

being a sex freak is part of the constitution of frenchmen.

the president of france was literally taken from the cradle by his own high school math teacher and every single person in france is okay with that

i'm not sure if i'd characterize the french as ok with anything about macron

the fact that he will one day die they're probably on board with but i wouldn't go much further

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Feb 19, 2020