Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I'm real glad steel books bother me with their sizing and "neatness" factor or else that would be a heavy burden to wear.

now if you ask me about how much I hate some box art and will go down the dark path of tracking down alternate packaging art and paying to get it printed on high gloss paper... that's a conversation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I don’t care about Steelbooks in general, but I do like nicer editions of movies I love, so I guess I’m getting that Knives Out steelbook.

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014
I like steels but I'll only really go for em if they're not much more than the regular edition or if the art's real neat. They're real useful if a film you like gets a better/4k edition since you can reuse the case.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I couldn't give less of a poo poo what the box is like. I buy Blus so that I have the best quality version of a movie on hand whenever I want to watch it. The only unopened ones I have are the ones that I haven't gotten around to yet but will when I'm in the right mood. I only buy Blus of movies or shows that I already love, that I haven't seen but I'm in the bag for, that don't exist for rental in high quality, or are on sale for cheap enough that it's basically the cost of a rental. Good special features are a nice bonus but my history has shown that I very likely won't watch them.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I'll buy the steelbook if it was something I really like, it's better looking than the other option, it's not horribly expensive, etc.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Yea I certainly will go for a nice looking steelbook if it's an option, but I don't sweat too much over it. But these days a lot of the time it's like, why not? If I'm already buying the movie and there's a decent looking steelbook option, there's really no reason not to go with that. Yea they're typically a few bucks more but it's usually a difference of like $3 so I don't worry about it.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Basebf555 posted:

Yea I certainly will go for a nice looking steelbook if it's an option, but I don't sweat too much over it. But these days a lot of the time it's like, why not? If I'm already buying the movie and there's a decent looking steelbook option, there's really no reason not to go with that. Yea they're typically a few bucks more but it's usually a difference of like $3 so I don't worry about it.

:same:

I had no problem shelling out the $3 for the Shining UHD Steelbook, because drat, the regular UHD cover is terrible.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I’m a fan of having the “best” version possible of a movie, but my preference for what I buy kind of follows a tier system.

1. Picture quality followed closely by comprehensive special features

2. If I like the movie enough to spend a little extra on it, then cool/unique packaging. Usually that means steelbooks but I do try to actively look for alternates if possible (digibooks, mediabooks, unique box sets) just to change things up.

If I really like a movie, I’ll mix and match - I’ve got the Blu-ray of ‘Master & Commander’ in the DVD special edition packaging that came with a second disc with a ton of special features that aren’t on the Blu-ray, for instance.

I’m one of those weirdos that cares about how my movies look on the shelf, and I like having a “unique” collection with special packaging types so it isn’t just a bunch of shelves of movie cases.

I don’t just buy movies just to own movies, and I’ve been trying to put heavy embargoes on myself so I watch the unwatched stuff I’ve got before I go buying more. I’ll make exceptions for a really great sale or a new movie I really liked, though.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I really only double up on stuff if there’s huge differences in what’s included, like Director’s Cuts or feature-length docs, and even then it’s only for stuff I love.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yea I'll definitely take a regular edition of a movie and put the disc in a nicer packaging from a previous version. I don't double dip all that often but like for The Matrix, I already had a pretty nice steelbook so when I bought the UHD I just took the disc out and put it in the steelbook.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

I’m the weirdo that prefers to have titles in individual cases instead of all the discs in one boxset. Especially for on going series, it gets weird weird to have a 20 disc box set and then one extra case for the new one. I’m getting better though, especially for sets that have a bonus disc or movies that don’t have individual releases.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

At this point 99% of my Blu purchases are $3.99 discs out of the Redbox and I no longer care about how they’re stored.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

caligulamprey posted:

At this point 99% of my Blu purchases are $3.99 discs out of the Redbox and I no longer care about how they’re stored.

this upsets me more than it should. i feel so unclean.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

dorium posted:

this upsets me more than it should. i feel so unclean.

It feels somehow worse whenever someone proselytizes binders

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

My favorite pawn shop has been selling Blu-Rays for $1.50 and they have a pretty good selection. Last time I got Birdman, Alien, Macgruber, Mad Max, Mother, and Christmas Vacation.

They also have hundreds of DVDs for 50 cents but I don't usually get any of those unless they're Criterions or something weird.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Iron Crowned posted:

It feels somehow worse whenever someone proselytizes binders

ahhh binders. i remember when i thought I was cool in middle school walking around with my walkman cd player and a 50 disc cd binder with all the cds inside and the album art pamphlet facing outward so i knew what I was selecting...

I can't imagine being a cool adult like that.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

wa27 posted:

They also have hundreds of DVDs for 50 cents but I don't usually get any of those unless they're Criterions or something weird.
You could try scanning the bar codes on Vudu. Chances are it isn't geolocked like at a Best Buy.

Or be good, buy a bunch, do disc-to-digital and sell them as a lot on ebay.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

dorium posted:

ahhh binders. i remember when i thought I was cool in middle school walking around with my walkman cd player and a 50 disc cd binder with all the cds inside and the album art pamphlet facing outward so i knew what I was selecting...

I can't imagine being a cool adult like that.

I used to go with my buddies to Hollywood Video back when they were circling the drain and didn’t have hard limits on how many movies you could rent at once with their premium rental thing or whatever it was. We’d walk out with a stack of 20 movies, go home and rip them, stick those rips in giant binders, and then go back to Hollywood the same day and get another 20. I found those binders last year and couldn’t believe the absolute poo poo we rented and ripped and just tossed the entire set of binders in the trash.

That’s my binder story.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
My backlog of Blu-ray discs are, in order of when I assume to watch them:

-Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam (in the process of watching)
-Battlestar Galactica season 4
-Doctor Who season 10 (Pertwee, not Capaldi)
-The Hobbit trilogy

I don't have a big backlog because I've loaned out about half the money to my name to relatives (so I don't spend as much as I'd like), and because I am systematic when it comes to watching things. That being said, the Hobbit trilogy is still in the shrink-wrap.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I used to go with my buddies to Hollywood Video back when they were circling the drain and didn’t have hard limits on how many movies you could rent at once with their premium rental thing or whatever it was. We’d walk out with a stack of 20 movies, go home and rip them, stick those rips in giant binders, and then go back to Hollywood the same day and get another 20. I found those binders last year and couldn’t believe the absolute poo poo we rented and ripped and just tossed the entire set of binders in the trash.

That’s my binder story.

lol. What was the “best” movie out of the lot?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

ruddiger posted:

lol. What was the “best” movie out of the lot?

Ehhh maybe Borat or one of the RoboCop sequels? This was high school so there were poo poo tons of stand-up specials, National Lampoon direct-to-videos, and garbage like Underworld and Constantine. Also full seasons of Scrubs, CSI: NY, Battlestar Galactica, and My Name is Earl. It was a fascinating time capsule into that era. One of my friends had a similar set of binders that he just filled to the brim with everything he could download off Limewire that month. Just a completely scattershot heap of poo poo with no real reason for any of it to exist other than to say he had it. He must have spent hundreds on DVD spindles at CompUSA that year.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Speaking of Steelbook, BestBuy.com has a bunch of 4K Disney Steelbook at $14.99 and $19.99 again. I ended up grabbing Aladdin this go around.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

I know someone was asking if Parasite was getting a B&W cut in the US, well Criterion picked up the rights for it and Memories of Murder so hopefully it’ll be included. Thank god I didn’t pick it up this weekend.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I just saw the B+W version and didn't find it too transformative. Don't stress about it not being in your bluray.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Liar Lyre posted:

I know someone was asking if Parasite was getting a B&W cut in the US, well Criterion picked up the rights for it and Memories of Murder so hopefully it’ll be included. Thank god I didn’t pick it up this weekend.

It's kind of weird that Criterion would do their own edition of Parasite so soon after the other blu-ray already came out. It doesn't seem like there's anything they could do to improve the actual movie's presentation on blu-ray.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I usually don't care much for crazy special packaging outside of like the odd lenticular hologram gimmick, but to my awareness there's never been a Star Trek disc release packaged in a model Enterprise where the discs are stored in the saucer and a shuttle-shaped USB key with the digital copies is located in the shuttlebay, and that's a crying shame.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Those novelty packages are fun to see in a store or something, but what the gently caress is anyone going to do with any of that poo poo when you get it home? Now you just have this whole stupid thing and you have to find a place to put it. I barely have space for all the regular cases, I'm not interested in trying to find a place where I can shove a life sized terminator arm or a black plastic barrel the size of a small kitchen trashcan. I can't imagine why anyone other than that deranged manchild from the youtube video wants this poo poo.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

McSpanky posted:

I usually don't care much for crazy special packaging outside of like the odd lenticular hologram gimmick, but to my awareness there's never been a Star Trek disc release packaged in a model Enterprise where the discs are stored in the saucer and a shuttle-shaped USB key with the digital copies is located in the shuttlebay, and that's a crying shame.

JJ Trek 1 did this if you're desperate.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Lizard Combatant posted:

I'll never be that desperate.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

CPL593H posted:

Those novelty packages are fun to see in a store or something, but what the gently caress is anyone going to do with any of that poo poo when you get it home? Now you just have this whole stupid thing and you have to find a place to put it. I barely have space for all the regular cases, I'm not interested in trying to find a place where I can shove a life sized terminator arm or a black plastic barrel the size of a small kitchen trashcan. I can't imagine why anyone other than that deranged manchild from the youtube video wants this poo poo.

I have pretty nerdy interests. But it consistently shocks me when I go into the homes of a lot of folks that share some of those interests and I have to bite my tongue for fear of exclaiming we are not the same!

They'll find space by scooting aside a handful of funko pops on one of their shelves. Taste and restraint are not what dorks are known for. If you're interested in buying a themed Terminator box set space is the least of your problems.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Until they do an Alien head storage case that dispenses disks via its pharyngeal jaw, I'll pass.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Freddy Got Fingered blu-ray in an elephant penis or GTFO.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

CPL593H posted:

Freddy Got Fingered blu-ray in an elephant penis or GTFO.

Nice. Something you'll be proud to display.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

CPL593H posted:

This reminds me of a post on reddit where someone kicked his six year old daughter upstairs to the attic so he could convert her bedroom to a "display room" for his ever-growing collection of nerd tchotchkes.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Lizard Combatant posted:

I knew I had seen this on someone's mantle, I just couldn't remember what it was for.

McSpanky posted:

This reminds me of a post on reddit where someone kicked his six year old daughter upstairs to the attic so he could convert her bedroom to a "display room" for his ever-growing collection of nerd tchotchkes.

There's a goon in the "Things Boomers Like" thread in GBS who's dad has a GI Joe room.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Lizard Combatant posted:

Nice. Something you'll be proud to display.

Proud.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

CPL593H posted:

With that stuff there's really not much of a point unless you really have a nice big, dedicated movie room. So maybe you've got like three aisles of movies and so each one has an end-cap display that you put a big flashy collectors editions in. The majority of people will never have a collection like that or the room to store it so there's no reason to bother.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I wanted the Blade Runner briefcase so bad and now I hate it because I can't bring myself to throw it away and I doubt it's worth anything but I just keep bringing it with me when I move.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

RichterIX posted:

I wanted the Blade Runner briefcase so bad and now I hate it because I can't bring myself to throw it away and I doubt it's worth anything but I just keep bringing it with me when I move.

Yea that's kinda what I was getting at. Until you're really settled and you've got a big house with rooms to spare and you can put together a huge movie room with big fancy displays, there's no point in lugging around one or two clunky special editions everywhere you go.

And lets be honest, the middle part of the movie nerd/large spacious house owner venn diagram is not especially big.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

So proud?