Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Cage Kicker posted:

Corran Horn lol he has his own special suit and special lightsaber and special X-Wing and :unsmigghh:

wow, like a jjabrams creation!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

Squizzle posted:

wow, like a jjabrams creation!!

Kind of, but Corran was more of a "new hotness" mary sue with his own droid and fighter and all that jazz, whereas Rey was more of a "bone collector" mary sue where she gathers up all the things cool and powerful about the setting all onto one character as the source of her mary-sueness

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

I miss the weird old Star Wars names. gently caress outta here with Finn and Rose and all that. Woody Harrelson in Solo was “Tobias Beckett,” that’s just a regular-rear end English name. Go back to everyone being named Zorp Tungo or whatever imo

I’m guessing Tobias Beckett was picked for the western feel.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

my star wars name would be the same as my real world legal name, which is also my birth name, given to me by my loving parents: squizzle

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Cage Kicker posted:

Corran Horn lol he has his own special suit and special lightsaber and special X-Wing and :unsmigghh:

reminder that the rightful title of this thread is, "Corran Horn hosed an otter, and other science facts"

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

I just remembered there was some villain who's entire gimmick was just planting bombs in droids using a factory planet he controlled. Somehow he managed to kill an entire planet with this strategy.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Isn't there some old EU stuff that heavily implies if not outright states the jedi can gently caress all they want as long as its NSA?

I kinda want that to be true cuz I can totally see Obi-Wan hanging out at a sleazy coruscant brothel.

It was George himself who said that. They can gently caress till they drop as long as they don't form emotional attachments.

Probably Yoda had a poster informing everyone of which specific sex acts that would nevertheless lead to the dark side.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Vernii posted:

I just remembered there was some villain who's entire gimmick was just planting bombs in droids using a factory planet he controlled. Somehow he managed to kill an entire planet with this strategy.

Elon Musk is a pretty star warsy name

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
THERM SCISSORPUNCH is a real character, ffs.

Forgot to mention, he's a crab man.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

THERM SCISSORPUNCH is a real character, ffs.

Forgot to mention, he's a crab man.

i want him to hang out w the mongo beefhead tribe

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

also he is a lobster

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

From my point of view, he is a crab

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
carcinization strikes again

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
Mods, incarcinate this lobster!

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

zoux posted:

Elon Musk is a pretty star warsy name

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Elan_Mak

quote:

Elan Mak was a Fluggrian podracer from Ploo IV who participated in the Boonta Eve Classic race on the planet Tatooine during the Naboo Crisis. Mak finished the race in fifth place.[1]

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

quote:

Kam Nale, also known under the alias "Elan Mak," was a Fluggrian male professional Podracer pilot who flew an outdated Kurtob KRT 410-C around 32 BBY, during the final decades of the Galactic Republic. The son of the crime lord Borzu Nale, Nale received his inheritance early when the Glymphid hitman Aldar Beedo murdered his father. Nale sought to avenge his father's death and vowed to track down Beedo, following him to the Outer Rim world of Tatooine, where Nale discovered that Beedo had entered as a contestant in the upcoming Boonta Eve Classic Podrace. Nale began to use the pseudonym "Elan Mak" in order to join the race without raising suspicions, all the while hoping to be able to eliminate Beedo by shooting him during the race.

Legends was wild. I have zero memory of this character (which, trust me, is saying something) but he still has a full backstory involving murder and revenge.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Polaron posted:

Legends was wild. I have zero memory of this character (which, trust me, is saying something) but he still has a full backstory involving murder and revenge.

I still remember all the podracer's names and can connect most of them to specific aliens and pods. Thanks, Episode I Racer.

Some others:

Rats Tyrell: famous tiny alien, explodes in cave with whole family watching. Podracing safety fund set up in his honour.
Neva Kee: flew the pod with engines at the back. Tried to take a shortcut and disappeared, probably captured by Jabba.
Dud Bolt: has a platypus nose and claws on his engines. Worked with Sebulba to fix races. Appears racing on TV in the background of AotC
Ben Quadrinaros: is exactly the one his name suggests, comes back from his humiliation to become Sebulba's chief rival by AotC. Anakin had a poster of him in his room at the Jedi Temple, which is better characterization for Anakin than anything that's actually shown in the films.
Gasgano: big green engines, tiny spindly alien with four arms. Comes in second after Anakin.
Wan Sandage: also racing at age 8, but his species dies at age 10. Sad!
Teemto Pagales: bulldog man, exiled from his home planet. Considered a sexy rogue by his people.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Feb 13, 2020

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I still remember all the podracer's names and can connect most of them to specific aliens and pods. Thanks, Episode I Racer.

Some others:

Rats Tyrell: famous tiny alien, explodes in cave with whole family watching. Podracing safety fund set up in his honour.
Neva Kee: flew the pod with engines at the back. Tried to take a shortcut and disappeared, probably captured by Jabba.
Dud Bolt: has a platypus nose and claws on his engines. Worked with Sebulba to fix races.
Ben Quadrinaros: is exactly the one his name suggests, comes back from his humiliation to become Sebulba's chief rival by AotC.
Gasgano: big green engines, tiny spindly alien with four arms. Comes in second after Anakin.
Wan Sandage: also racing at age 8, but his species dies at age 10. Sad!

I also played alot of Episode I racer (and Dud Bolt was my favorite for some reason) and I wouldn't say his pod racer's engines have claws as much as they are just giant electric razors.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Neva Kee and Wan Sandage never appeared in the movie.

Neither did Bullseye Navoir, who looks like a teletubby and was my favorite pod for probably the same reasons the a-wing is my favorite ship :sanix:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Wan Sandage sounds like what Pauly Shore would say if he hit a golf ball into a bunker

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I'm a Clegg Holdfast man myself.

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

Squizzle posted:

also he is a lobster

:hai:

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

ebe endecott 4 lyfe

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
Supposedly to get your Star Wars name, you take the first three letter of your last name, then attach the first two letter of your first name, then for your second name, take the first two letters of your mother's maiden name, and attach the first three letters of the city you were born in.

Also I'm honestly surprised there isn't a list of Jedi who went evil because their order insisted on them being emotionally dead automatons forever in service of the 'greater good' instead of it all "THEY GOT ATTACHED TO SOMETHING AND THEN IT MADE THEM GO EVIL BECAUSE EMOTIONS."

I honestly wonder what path Anakin's plot might have taken had his backstory not been locked in stone by the time it started being told.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Cornwind Evil posted:

Supposedly to get your Star Wars name, you take the first three letter of your last name, then attach the first two letter of your first name, then for your second name, take the first two letters of your mother's maiden name, and attach the first three letters of the city you were born in.

that's weird, your droid name is your credit card number and the month and year it expires, followed by the security code from the back

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Hey, that's the combination on my luggage.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Cornwind Evil posted:

Woah, that actually works.

Whist Coken.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Woah, that actually works.

Whist Coken.

Now post your droid name

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Cornwind Evil posted:

Also I'm honestly surprised there isn't a list of Jedi who went evil because their order insisted on them being emotionally dead automatons forever in service of the 'greater good' instead of it all "THEY GOT ATTACHED TO SOMETHING AND THEN IT MADE THEM GO EVIL BECAUSE EMOTIONS."

I honestly wonder what path Anakin's plot might have taken had his backstory not been locked in stone by the time it started being told.

I'm Lebar Rimon.

I prefer my Star Wars rpg character names: Max Renegade and Buster Starwolf.

Rugikiki
Jan 15, 2008

Illinois Nazis.
I hate Illinois Nazis!

Rafti Goroy

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Holvi Laeks

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

I worked up a powerful loneliness in my massive bed, in the massive dark.
Grimey Drawer
Guise Cagla

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Now post your droid name

5555-32...... hey wait a second.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Pennywise the Frown posted:

5555-32...... hey wait a second.

no you got it right. keep going

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Can droids participate in pod races?

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Can droids participate in pod races?

I'm not aware of any examples being shown/written about, but surely somewhere there is a podracing droid. Like the various forms of motor racing in our world, different podracing events would presumably be organized by different groups under different rules with varying degrees of formality. But from what we're shown, even major annual events with lots of pageantry and large crowds seem to be a pretty anything-goes type of situation. For example tusken raiders show up at the Boonta Eve race and start shooting at/killing racers and everyone just carries on. Plus racers are allowed to pretty much murder each other at will. I figure they're not going to split hairs over who's allowed to drive.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
I'm Warma Sooma

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Laterite posted:

I'm Warma Sooma

greetings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Cornwind Evil posted:

No you just take “Tim Tebow” and replace the Ts with a different consonant of your choosing