Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

OpenSourceBurger posted:

What do you guys think is the best horror trailer of all time?

I always loved 10 Cloverfield Lane's trailer, probably more than the movie itself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQy-ANhnUpE

Can someone explain to me the controversy with S. Craig Zahler? I heard he wrote a weird Nazi-prominent script for a puppetmaster movie that I never saw but figured there is likely more to the story than that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OpenSourceBurger
Sep 25, 2019
It really can't be overstated how loving disgusting and hateful that Puppet Master film is. I knew it was gonna be fun when the first kills are a lesbian couple whose crime was to kiss in front of a Nazi and disgust him.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoJc2tH3WBw

Holy poo poo!

e: From the writer and director of A Ghost Story! That's no moon, that's my horror chub!

That is goddamn amazing, and the Green Knight is one of my favorite Arthurian tales to start with.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

tonedef131 posted:

Can someone explain to me the controversy with S. Craig Zahler? I heard he wrote a weird Nazi-prominent script for a puppetmaster movie that I never saw but figured there is likely more to the story than that.

The Puppetmaster movie was his first project under a new deal with a production company who's mission statement is to make movies with a right wing bent to them that "conservatives" can enjoy. The second project was a movie starring Mel Gibson about how cops should be able to do a brutality once in a while because it gets results.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
When they're touring the Nazi dude's home in that Puppet Master film the running joke was that that was all stuff from Zahler's personal collection.

OpenSourceBurger
Sep 25, 2019
Puppet Master The Littlest Reich: "Oh man isn't it messed up how this Nazi and his puppets are murdering minorities? Oh man but like haha guys hear me out maybe they deserve it? JUST ASKING QUESTIONS DUDES!"

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I havent watched The Littlest Reich yet, but how is Thomas Lennon in it. Feel like he just pops up randomly in unexpected places.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Yeah, I'd really like to know how Tom Lennon got talked into it. I know he's literally written a book about doing bad movies for a paycheck, but it still doesn't seem like his sort of thing.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

OpenSourceBurger posted:

Puppet Master The Littlest Reich: "Oh man isn't it messed up how this Nazi and his puppets are murdering minorities? Oh man but like haha guys hear me out maybe they deserve it? JUST ASKING QUESTIONS DUDES!"

I'm not about to go to bat for a post-III Puppet Master or anything but I never got a "these people deserve to be murdered" vibe from it. More of a "I have no relevant ideas" vibe.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I have listened too a few horror fans on podcasts, even very left leaning ones and no one mentioned that at all. They all loved the new puppet master because it had good gore in it.
(Last Podcast)
This is the only place that has talked about the “mission” statement of the company and all that.

I even heard a long form discussion with that guy who said it and he never once said anything like that, and this podcast frequently goes deep and real often.
(The Movie Crypt)

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

CelticPredator posted:

I have listened too a few horror fans on podcasts, even very left leaning ones and no one mentioned that at all. They all loved the new puppet master because it had good gore in it.
(Last Podcast)
This is the only place that has talked about the “mission” statement of the company and all that.

I even heard a long form discussion with that guy who said it and he never once said anything like that, and this podcast frequently goes deep and real often.
(The Movie Crypt)

It was an interview that was posted here at some point when the movie was first released but I actually don't know the source myself. So if I'm passing along false information I apologize.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

OpenSourceBurger posted:

What do you guys think is the best horror trailer of all time?

Speaking of Arthurian legends...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nY7n9IKerag

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Basebf555 posted:

It was an interview that was posted here at some point when the movie was first released but I actually don't know the source myself. So if I'm passing along false information I apologize.

Your probably aren’t, I just haven’t heard it said publicly anywhere else.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Darthemed posted:

Yeah, I'd really like to know how Tom Lennon got talked into it. I know he's literally written a book about doing bad movies for a paycheck, but it still doesn't seem like his sort of thing.

Seems like a pretty easy thing to trick someone into.

Hey, wanna be in a darker slightly more serious new installment of a fun B movie series you probably like?
TL: Sure!
Yeah, the guy writing it did Bone Tomahawk!
TL: Oh man, that'll be fun. That's got a pretty strong following.

As for actually reading the script (having not actually seen the film), TL got started in the alt-comedy scene of the late 80s early 90s where people push the envelope for the sake of irony all the time. Not to mention how many rewrites went into the script while it was being shot, and not being able to predict the tone of the film as being more sincere and cruel in its bigotry, or maybe thinking the nazi puppets are supposed to be more villainous instead of being something you root for. Hell, maybe he only got his sides and not the full script.

I don't know the guy personally, but he's been quiet about the film upon release, plus having heard hours of interviews with him throughout the years, I just can't really find it in myself to blame him for being in it. Same with Barbara Crampton.

I'm just not gonna watch the drat thing.

Serious Party Gods
Apr 2, 2009

Tom Lennon is off loving limits:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmNfUUFAclw

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Just got out of Parasite. I nth all recommendations to go in blind, because if I hadn't there would have been no point. As soon as the movie reached a certain scene it became very predictable.

Also Down and Out in Beverly Hills did it better, sorry.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
Actors read the lines they are given, that is an actor's job. If an actor says something racist or bigoted in media, it's because they were paid to do so.

Writers write those lines.

When a movie has such lines as-

quote:

Like cell phones, and just as annoying, politics are everywhere. Being branded a racist in today's public forum is like being accused of being a communist in the 50s, whether its' a possibly racist remark made in a private phone call or the indelicate treatment of a minority who sells drugs to children. The entertainment industry, formerly known as the news, needs villains.

and-

quote:

You know, I never thought I was a racist before living in this area. I'm about as liberal as any ex-cop could ever be. But now... we really do need to move.

That writer is a loving racist.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

Actors read the lines they are given, that is an actor's job. If an actor says something racist or bigoted in media, it's because they were paid to do so.

Writers write those lines.

When a movie has such lines as-

and-

That writer is a loving racist.

Sure, but those are lines from a different movie that was made after Puppet Master New Reich that Thomas Lennon isn't it. And rewrites are still a huge thing.

For a little context from a different film, Halloween 2018's whole ending was rewritten. The house fire was a rewrite. Laurie and her daughter and granddaughter getting away in the truck was a rewrite. Michael possibly surviving was a third rewrite based on the other two rewrites. You watch the movie, and those seem like they had to be the original ending. Nope. They didn't have a full ending planned when they started the film. It was only when they started compiling stuff and started filming and talking to Jamie Lee Curtis that they started working towards the ending we got.

Like I said, I haven't seen Little Reich. I don't care to watch a Zahler movie, even if Bone Tomahawk has a lot of fans still. While I don't believe every movie has to adhere to a moral system, I choose to avoid movies that I deem problematic. I just don't have the time and the energy to hate Thomas Lennon for being in a movie for two days of shooting. There are real things to hate. Zahler masturbating his Nazi fandom with a puppet movie is stupid and I'm not going to watch it; sucks for the people that got involved with a lovely project.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

I wouldn't want an actor to lose work because people think he's difficult, but you know there is no obligation for someone to take a racist's money to help him make racist propaganda?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jedit posted:

I wouldn't want an actor to lose work because people think he's difficult, but you know there is no obligation for someone to take a racist's money to help him make racist propaganda?

That does get a bit dicey though, because I don't think actors like Tom Lennon are necessarily reviewing every script they get. They kinda just get an offer, and if they don't have an obvious schedule conflict they accept it and read the script later. But once you've accepted the job, like you said it can be an issue to all the sudden drop out because you have concerns with the script, because then your reputation could take a hit and it doesn't take very many hits to end someone like Tom Lennon's career.

There are limits of course. I haven't seen Littlest Reich so I can't comment on that specifically.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

That does get a bit dicey though, because I don't think actors like Tom Lennon are necessarily reviewing every script they get. They kinda just get an offer, and if they don't have an obvious schedule conflict they accept it and read the script later. But once you've accepted the job, like you said it can be an issue to all the sudden drop out because you have concerns with the script, because then your reputation could take a hit and it doesn't take very many hits to end someone like Tom Lennon's career.

There are limits of course. I haven't seen Littlest Reich so I can't comment on that specifically.

To add to this

There's an inside-baseball joke tossed around: "Did you get the script, or just the sides?" Even The Dead Don't Die makes a weird joke that Bill Murray only got the sides while Adam Driver got the full script. Not everyone gets to see the whole script or story. The lower you are on the call sheet, the less pages you're going to read.

God, Comedy Bang Bang and Hollywood Handbook have really ruined me with all the inside baseball jokes of the film industry.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Also I’ll reiterate, this is still the only place I’ve seen call out the puppet master movie. Most horror fans, even left leaning ones, love the film and enjoy it for its gore and humor. Even on BMD the only thing people called zahler out for is dragged across concrete.

I haven’t seen it and I never will because I think puppet master stinks, but I feel like it may be not be as cut and dry as stated here.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I love that he’s a HUGE Morrissey fan. Him and Chris Gethard geeking out over Moz is :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7cU-DDy1F4

PM:LR is unwatchable garbo, and Lennon mostly mumbles his way through the script. The gore is loving trash too.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

It's just a shame that Morrissey is a huge oval office

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Morrissey got by for decades on people thinking his weird fixation with macho nationalism and skinhead aesthetics was satire or some sort of Tom of Finland fetish thing but then it turned out he was 100% serious.

Tim of Finland actually hosed actual Nazis though.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

CelticPredator posted:

Also I’ll reiterate, this is still the only place I’ve seen call out the puppet master movie. Most horror fans, even left leaning ones, love the film and enjoy it for its gore and humor. Even on BMD the only thing people called zahler out for is dragged across concrete.

I haven’t seen it and I never will because I think puppet master stinks, but I feel like it may be not be as cut and dry as stated here.
Nah, it’s very obvious when watching it.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Darthemed posted:

Like, it’s not even a question. You can see what their angle is within the first 5 minutes of the movie.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Like, the string of Puppet Master Axis films indulges in Nazi aesthetic fetishization, but Littlest Reich indulges in Nazi ideology fetishization.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Which puppet master movie is it where the evil lady puppet licks some dude’s nipples and he’s like “Oh baby that’s the stuff, you little minx you! 😏” because his eyes are closed, but then another puppet slowly and awkwardly kills him?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Drunkboxer posted:

Which puppet master movie is it where the evil lady puppet licks some dude’s nipples and he’s like “Oh baby that’s the stuff, you little minx you! 😏” because his eyes are closed, but then another puppet slowly and awkwardly kills him?

Blood Dolls

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Drunkboxer posted:

the first one I think? pretty sure I know what scene you're talking about and I haven't watched any of the others.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Darthemed posted:

Actually I take it back, I re-read a review that mentions it very bluntly but passes by it to talk about the gore.

I dunno i actually find the reactions to the movie more interesting than the film itself:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Also it seems like the person that reviewed it did every article about the film on birth movies death. Hmmm.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Drunkboxer posted:

Believe you’re thinking of the leech lady kill in the first movie.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I think I'm the one guy in here who really likes Zahler's movies, but I ain't touching Littlest Reich.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

Why arn't more horror movies, or just movies in general, drawing from Arthurian legends?

That poo poo is a goldmine of some of the weirdest, most fantastical stories that the human mind has ever conceived of.

We have Excalibur and that's loving it.

Just going through the vast amount of cultural legends and folklore out there would easily be enough fresh horror content that it'd be decades before anyone would think of going with a remake/reboot.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Origami Dali posted:

I think I'm the one guy in here who really likes Zahler's movies, but I ain't touching Littlest Reich.

i like his first two

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Untrustable posted:

Doctor Sleep director's cut was very good. I actually liked how it (pretty successfully) dovetailed the ending of The Shining (book) and the ending of The Shining (Kubrick). I feel like Flanagan nailed it. It's a fantastic adaptation that remains, somehow, faithful to both books and the original film.

I also liked that the protagonists were proactive in it leading the Knot to a trap in the woods and picking them off one by one, and leading Rose to the Overlook

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Origami Dali posted:

Bone Tomahawk and Brawl in Cell Block 99 are fantastic. I haven't seen anything past those. I thought Zahler would be a cool new horror director but apparently he's just gone kinda poo poo?

I guess I still have Jeremy Saulnier. He's directed 4 movies and all 4 were great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Hostiles and Shot Caller are the better versions of Bone Tomahawk and CB99.