Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010

Beamed posted:

Any hype at all for Port Royale 4? Looks like another Kalypso graphics update of the older game, but it's not like those games aren't addictive as hell.

Didnt know another one was coming out, but Ill for sure play it.

And its on switch? Sweet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Anyone have any thoughts on Unrailed? I'm always on the lookout for more casual building games that have coop, because I'd love to play these things with my friends, but they tend not to be as enraptured by huge factories as I am. It's currently on sale, but I'm curious if it's decent or not. Or even if it falls into this category of game. It's got some puzzle game vibes and I'm not entirely sure how the gameplay pans out.

Mayveena posted:

That's one of the things that draws me to Astroneer. The screenshots you can take look friggin amazing.
Really? Any examples? I saw a playthrough a while back and it looked like you just plop a bunch of stuff down and get lost going exploring. The people I was watching seemed bad at it though.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Eiba posted:

Anyone have any thoughts on Unrailed? I'm always on the lookout for more casual building games that have coop, because I'd love to play these things with my friends, but they tend not to be as enraptured by huge factories as I am. It's currently on sale, but I'm curious if it's decent or not. Or even if it falls into this category of game. It's got some puzzle game vibes and I'm not entirely sure how the gameplay pans out.
Based on the videos I've seen a while back it's not a management game at all. If you like the challenge of hectic puzzles with a time limit you'll probably enjoy it.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Beamed posted:

Any hype at all for Port Royale 4? Looks like another Kalypso graphics update of the older game, but it's not like those games aren't addictive as hell.

I never could get into any of those, unfortunately. I dunno why.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Eiba posted:

Really? Any examples? I saw a playthrough a while back and it looked like you just plop a bunch of stuff down and get lost going exploring. The people I was watching seemed bad at it though.

Results from Google search for Astroneer images

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010

Eiba posted:

Unrailed is fun, it isn't a management game tho and is a lot more like a party game :) The game grows increasingly more hectic the farther you go.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

We were talking about the Guild a bit ago and I just noticed there's a Guild 3 in EA.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/311260/The_Guild_3/

Anyone given it a try?

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

LLSix posted:

We were talking about the Guild a bit ago and I just noticed there's a Guild 3 in EA.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/311260/The_Guild_3/

Anyone given it a try?

It's not great. The developer they originally had working on it was basically using the money to make a game while they worked on Guild 3 as a side project, and the new developers are better, but it still needs a lot of time in the oven.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Factory Town: I made a steam generator, but when I enter grid mode, it doesn't have an outline to indicate that I can put a connector on it. Why? Is it because it's built on a wooden platform? That seems... oddly limiting.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Argue posted:

Factory Town: I made a steam generator, but when I enter grid mode, it doesn't have an outline to indicate that I can put a connector on it. Why? Is it because it's built on a wooden platform? That seems... oddly limiting.

Could be. Can you use the move tool and then try?

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
It looks like that was it, although there was some weirdness to it. I moved it somewhere and it still didn't show up, then I reloaded and moved it to the same spot and it showed up. But yeah as far as I can tell, it's not detected if any part of it isn't on natural terrain... in which case, why even let me build it there?

edit: ah geez, I get it now I think... I think at least one part must be built atop natural terrain, and only those parts can connect.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Any requests for my stream tomorrow? These are the games I could do (and feel might be underrepresented; there's no point to streaming something like Transport Fever 2 as there are already excellent videos out there for that)

Autonauts
Factory Town
*Rise of Industy
*Workers and Resources Soviet Republic
*Mashinky
*Railway Empire

*games I'd need to refresh myself on, so I'd need to know by the end of the day

Comments appreciated. If no comments I'll probably do Autonauts from an existing save.

Mayveena fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Feb 18, 2020

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
well, i'm addicted to little big workshop again. drat it

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

luxury handset posted:

well, i'm addicted to little big workshop again. drat it

My son was too. I can't get into it for some reason but I'll keep trying. Not today on stream though, hate fumbling my way through stuff.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

There seems to be a flood of games in that vein recently - kind of that small/medium business management that’s roughly inspired by something like Kairosoft’s game dev studio. That, or I’m just noticing it more. Youtuber Life, Esports team manager, etc. little big workshop seems like it breaks that model a little though.

A lot of those I can’t ever break into because they don’t allow for a lot of creativity or sort of “zen garden” creativity. It’s why after awhile I burn out on Anno despite it being mechanically superior to say, Cities Skylines or Tropico. Anno requires a lot more operational design that often sacrifices aesthetics when you really need to pound out extra efficiency. I like to decorate and beautify.

The current game that hits the perfect blend of operational and aesthetic design for me is Airport CEO. (If you were like me and debated Sim Airport or Airport CEO, Airport CEO is the far superior product.)

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
How’s the progress on its development (Airport CEO)? Looks like it’s been EA since 2017?

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Mayveena posted:

My son was too. I can't get into it for some reason but I'll keep trying. Not today on stream though, hate fumbling my way through stuff.

it's a pretty simple game, it's all about optimizing that manufacturing process. it only has that one loop really but it does it drat well. there's not much else there, it's one of those games where the core idea grabs you or it doesn't

Anime Store Adventure posted:

little big workshop seems like it breaks that model a little though.

it's more of a classic pc style production chain game like industry giant/rise of industry. you end up moving things around different production locations until you sell a finished good. the more unique factor here is that instead of shipping things around between black box factories, you design the interior of a factory and you have some choice in what materials/workstations to use when setting up a production chain. like, you might have two different types of wooden desks you could produce, but one might require very high end materials and more complex parts like metal knobs, where the other can just be cheaply run out in quantity using crappy wood. its a pretty good game for adolescent kids

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Feb 19, 2020

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

How’s the progress on its development (Airport CEO)? Looks like it’s been EA since 2017?

I only just picked it up so I don’t have a good feeling for how long it took to get where it is, but it’s absolutely a more complete product than Sim airport.

It has a lot of turnaround services and I can make a realistic looking airfield that also works well in practice without being wasteful. Some things are kind of binary - including some turnaround services - but they do a great job for the “ant farm” effect of watching your trucks service the field.

Design all follows pretty logically with some weird first time “gotchas” of not understanding how things link up. My terminals look like terminals, and they’re adding more cosmetics in the next patch. Shops and restaurants are annoying and same-y, but exist. Security is basically security theatre (so a highly realistic simulation. :v: ) The baggage systems are complex enough to be enjoyable.

On the more business/ops side, nothing is incredibly deep but it all works together well. Staff have skills and perform better/worse on shift length and that. Flights are scheduled by time at gate and not time in/out (creates a much more realistic system for early or delayed flights than Sim Airport.) e: I should note that the runway behavior is a little gamey, if you’re a super stickler for realism. (I could go on about how in any of these games I build like I have real runway requirements and refuse to build the terminal in the flight path, etc.)

I sure would like even more cosmetics, but slapping field lights airside and street lights on your roads and lots is cool. It sparks that “field of a million lights” airport look in my brain.

There’s absolutely some really annoying bugs that can crop up, but I haven’t run into any show stoppers.

The next patch intends to add passport control, separate boarding/deboarding zones at gates, more cosmetics and some other light changes.

Ultimately it’s not the brightest star of the management/tycoon genre, but if you think you want the game because you like building and you like airports, I don’t think you’ll be disappointed. So long as you’re willing to figure through things that should have a help button or tutorial but don’t and occasional jank.

Anime Store Adventure fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Feb 19, 2020

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Autonauts is on sale for 12 on indiegala.

Hmmmm

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

https://www.indiegala.com/crackerjack/autonauts

If you like basebuilding games it's certainly worth $12. I'll be streaming it (in mid game) at 4pm PST as mentioned. The Steam store page doesn't mention Early Access but it's not finished, there's clearly late game stuff missing so if that bothers you then wait.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Conversely I kinda ran out of steam on Autonauts (unfortunately right after the 2hr+ mark) because I felt like it was less about the basebuilding and more about working with the sometimes very janky systems to program efficient bots and whatnot. I had fun with it and am not saying it's a bad game in the least but do know that it's probably more of a Zachtronics programming-lite game than a classic basebuilder/management game. There are ways to manage the chaos but I quickly became very overwhelmed at about the second level in the upgrade tree/pyramid thing.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

I fired up Surviving Mars because of this thread and man the terraforming takes forever.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Well, you are kinda changing an entire planet.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

explosivo posted:

Conversely I kinda ran out of steam on Autonauts (unfortunately right after the 2hr+ mark) because I felt like it was less about the basebuilding and more about working with the sometimes very janky systems to program efficient bots and whatnot. I had fun with it and am not saying it's a bad game in the least but do know that it's probably more of a Zachtronics programming-lite game than a classic basebuilder/management game. There are ways to manage the chaos but I quickly became very overwhelmed at about the second level in the upgrade tree/pyramid thing.

I could never do any of the Zachtronics games, I find Autonauts far easier. I just do what I can when I can, the good news is that there's no 'failure' where you would lose your colony as far as I know. Getting ready to get to Log Cabins but taking my time about setting everything up. The only thing that's a little weird is that the research is so far ahead of what you can do at the time but I just ignore it if I don't see an immediate reason to build what I just researched.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
To this day I cannot figure out how to even play Spacechem let alone solve the puzzles.

Like, I don't know what the symbols are ever supposed to do. At least TIS-100, the programming language means that the pieces mean something to me even if putting them together is the tricky part.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm

explosivo posted:

After about 20ish hours in Autonauts, I feel like it's got some distinct tier 0 / 1 flavor which is nice, but the tier 2 stuff just feels like 'a whole enormous shitload of tier 1.' It's got good guts and I already don't regret my purchase, but I will probably check on it again in a year or so.

Actually, on second thought, maybe the tier 0 bots should just be removed, or given the same memory as the tier 1's and have all the later tiers bumped. Their memory is so limited that there's very little optimization to be done with them at all. At least the tier 1's involve memory vs other consideration tradeoffs.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

What's everyone playing? Still in Autonauts and Factory Town but thinking about giving Anno 1800 another hard run.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Well, Rimworld just released some paid DLC that looks p neat. Some stuff is clearly ascended mods, but it's good poo poo.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

WarpedNaba posted:

Well, Rimworld just released some paid DLC that looks p neat. Some stuff is clearly ascended mods, but it's good poo poo.

I saw that, $20 feels a bit steep, especially for a game made from the start with free mod support, but even without the dlc the new patch looks pretty extensive. Might be time to start up a new colony again :getin:

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

I’ve been on the Satisfactory experimental pretty hard. I have a solo game and a startup with one of my partners, who apparently got the EA early on and hasn’t played since before there were enemies.

When I first picked it up, multiplayer was very runberbandy and gross, and it’s still not exactly CRISP, but it is very enjoyable. Two folks can make quite rapid progress, each working on a different top-level part.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

I just wish he'd asked me to do the voiceover. I might be a third rate Tony Jay, but that's still Tony Jay!

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

explosivo posted:

I saw that, $20 feels a bit steep, especially for a game made from the start with free mod support, but even without the dlc the new patch looks pretty extensive. Might be time to start up a new colony again :getin:

for me its basically that I last paid for the game like a thousand hours ago, feels fair to buy another ticket

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

LonsomeSon posted:

I’ve been on the Satisfactory experimental pretty hard. I have a solo game and a startup with one of my partners, who apparently got the EA early on and hasn’t played since before there were enemies.

When I first picked it up, multiplayer was very runberbandy and gross, and it’s still not exactly CRISP, but it is very enjoyable. Two folks can make quite rapid progress, each working on a different top-level part.

The combat part of that game is so discouraging. I sure wish there was a peaceful mode where I could just build my poo poo and admire it.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Satisfactory is really good. Taking a break until the current big update is pushed to stable before playing again.

In the meantime, I have hundreds of hours into Factorio over the years, but decided to pick it up again and actually try to beat it this time. The 0.18 update added a bunch of nice QoL things and it’s really addicting just like before.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Mayveena posted:

The combat part of that game is so discouraging. I sure wish there was a peaceful mode where I could just build my poo poo and admire it.

Yeah, zapping chargeholes is aggravating and plasma dogs are downright infuriating with melee, but once you get the Rebar Gun unlocked and get used to the rebar drop, plasma dogs are a matter of landing shots while sidestepping slightly, and once you find Caterium and get 2-3 blocks down the research tree you can build an item which will boost your foot mobility and make doing hilarious slide-by melee attacks very reliable.

I agree that a peaceful mode probably ought to be included on release, hopefully the devs are thinking the same thing ~

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

skooma512 posted:

To this day I cannot figure out how to even play Spacechem let alone solve the puzzles.

Like, I don't know what the symbols are ever supposed to do. At least TIS-100, the programming language means that the pieces mean something to me even if putting them together is the tricky part.

Spacechem behaves a bit differently from TIS-100 or Opus Magnum where you have a bunch of components and each one executes a series of instructions. You have two grabbers, and each one moves along a track -- that's what the solid red & blue lines are. The "arrow" symbols are used to change the direction of the track, which you'll typically want to form into a closed loop. Each grabber moves continuously along its own track.

When a grabber moves over a symbol of the same colour, it tries to execute the instruction on the symbol -- pick up whatever atom is under it, rotate or drop whatever it's carrying, or ask one of the inputs to provide a new atom/molecule or one of the outputs to consume one. You can put red and blue symbols on the same square and each grabber will only execute the one of its own colour.

I thought it had a fairly comprehensive tutorial, but it's been a long time since I played it...

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

If you're playing Autonauts, get the perpetual motion mod, it so improves the game. No more recharging all the time!

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I'm not having too much stomache ache about winding. My main complaint/question/wonder is if there's anything ground breaking I'm missing in disk management.

Are there any easy tricks to keeping track of disks you've already put memory in? Besides naming them good from the source bot. Like how do I keep a library of the different bots that make a certain production unit in case I want to scale it bigger with more bots.

I can imagine some brainwashing routines once I have a stack of disks I want to implement in the next built bots but I'm struggling with how to keep the discs organized when they aren't being used in the brainwashing routine.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

It’s a good question! The devs are sometimes in the Discord you could mention it there. Or on the Steam discussion page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

zedprime posted:

I'm not having too much stomache ache about winding. My main complaint/question/wonder is if there's anything ground breaking I'm missing in disk management.

Are there any easy tricks to keeping track of disks you've already put memory in? Besides naming them good from the source bot. Like how do I keep a library of the different bots that make a certain production unit in case I want to scale it bigger with more bots.

I can imagine some brainwashing routines once I have a stack of disks I want to implement in the next built bots but I'm struggling with how to keep the discs organized when they aren't being used in the brainwashing routine.

I never bother with more than one disc, I just copy a bot when I need its code. They're rewritable.