Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

silvergoose posted:

In a position of absolute authority, knowing a subordinate (who was also an old ex) was duty bound to stay close and spy, bullied said ex into sleeping with her and tormented her.

It was one of the Pevara hunt for black ajah subplots that Egwene figured out and was like holy poo poo you are doing horrible things for the greater good, stop it right the gently caress now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I just finished listening to the first time Egwene had to serve Eliada dinner and this grey sister is such a quivering wreck as Eliada just torments her. I really like MOST of Egwene in the tower, but she's a loving monster in her own way.

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

It might actually be easier to deal with.

It's the same with people having a different appreciation of early Nynaeve, or whatever.

Anyway, I find that I don't skip anything when I was doing re-reads. There's tons of interesting things that I've either forgotten, or turn out to have later relevance. Even off-hand comments in passing have layers of juicy juicy irony.

Obvious examples: Rand telling MIn "I'd sooner cut off an arm than hurt you"
or
Some wisdom in Tear telling the supergirls "I've never heard of 3 girls running off to chase after one man before"

It's fun!

This is the whole reason I started listening to WOT Spoilers. There are so many of these little things I missed.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

sweet, just got back to dumai's wells and finished LoC. knowing that i'll be around the halfway point once i get into book 7 makes it seem less daunting to get back to where i was before and then finish everything fully.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Johnny Joestar posted:

sweet, just got back to dumai's wells and finished LoC. knowing that i'll be around the halfway point once i get into book 7 makes it seem less daunting to get back to where i was before and then finish everything fully.

I mean, the books do get LONGER.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

I mean, the books do get LONGER.

hell, i pretty much expected that. it's just nice to have a solid point i've reached in the series, after all!

not looking forward to the segment of egwene back in the tower, though

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Johnny Joestar posted:

hell, i pretty much expected that. it's just nice to have a solid point i've reached in the series, after all!

not looking forward to the segment of egwene back in the tower, though

63 page spanking montage

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

I think the biggest thing you notice as the series goes on is that an afternoon can span 3-4 chapters. This is especially noticeable during the Elayne chapters. There's a section in KOD where they take 3 chapters for her to walk from one section of the palace to another.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Having just finished it again, the ending of The Eye of the World still jars horribly with most of the rest of the series.

Aginor and Bethemel go down like absolute chumps and I still don't really get what actually happened with Rand teleporting to Tarwin's Gap then climbing stairs to fight Ishamael?

Did we ever get confirmation if that was the Creator speaking? Was it just Rand's insanity sparking early?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i can sort of reason the two of them going down like that if only because if there's anything the series shows, it's that the forsaken mainly just have knowledge on their side and are otherwise petty dipshits at times. i can see aginor and bethemel just absolutely, 100% underestimating what was going on out of hubris and getting lit up due to it. generally the rest don't just pop out in front of the protagonists unless they have the upper hand without a doubt.

the rest is definitely kind of weird, but i can chalk that up to jordan maybe not knowing if the series would get picked up enough to make it worth carrying on. or maybe it's the lord of the rings influence that he's admitted to?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

I actually really liked belthamel being like you're just a nym, why would I worry about what the gently caress aaaaa plants aren't supposed to be weapons

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Zore posted:

Having just finished it again, the ending of The Eye of the World still jars horribly with most of the rest of the series.

Aginor and Bethemel go down like absolute chumps and I still don't really get what actually happened with Rand teleporting to Tarwin's Gap then climbing stairs to fight Ishamael?

Did we ever get confirmation if that was the Creator speaking? Was it just Rand's insanity sparking early?

The Forsaken get taken down by the "primitive" protagonists throughout the series because of their hubris. Also they had just popped out of botched cryosleep and were basically sentient zombies, it makes sense to me that the heroes could get the jump on them although they still got their licks in.

I always read it as the actual Creator speaking to Rand. The thing at Tarwin's Gap, the fight with Ishamael, etc just seem to be an effect of him tapping into pure Saidin and (probably) drawing on knowledge from LTT that he didn't know he had yet. The sequence definitely has a lot of artistic license it in but it never read as incongruent with the rest of the series to me.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

silvergoose posted:

I actually really liked belthamel being like you're just a nym, why would I worry about what the gently caress aaaaa plants aren't supposed to be weapons

Belthamel's death is fine honestly, its mostly Aginor that has me feeling down about it because he mostly just monologues at everyone, sort of toys with Moiraine before getting bored (inflicting no lasting injury on anyone) then just stares at Rand before unceremoniously blowing up while Rand goes on his acid trip adventure to fight Ishy.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Yeah, it's taveren plus burning a single shot consumable artifact.

Ani
Jun 15, 2001
illum non populi fasces, non purpura regum / flexit et infidos agitans discordia fratres

Zore posted:

Belthamel's death is fine honestly, its mostly Aginor that has me feeling down about it because he mostly just monologues at everyone, sort of toys with Moiraine before getting bored (inflicting no lasting injury on anyone) then just stares at Rand before unceremoniously blowing up while Rand goes on his acid trip adventure to fight Ishy.
It feels like Aginor just shouldn't have been there - instead have Balthamel defeat Moiraine, chase Rand, then just as he's about to defeat Rand, have the Green Man kill him.

It's fine that the Forsaken get defeated by their own hubris, but having Aginor just literally commit suicide by drawing too much of the power feels silly - it's a mistake that we don't even see a beginner channeler ever make.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Ani posted:

It feels like Aginor just shouldn't have been there - instead have Balthamel defeat Moiraine, chase Rand, then just as he's about to defeat Rand, have the Green Man kill him.

It's fine that the Forsaken get defeated by their own hubris, but having Aginor just literally commit suicide by drawing too much of the power feels silly - it's a mistake that we don't even see a beginner channeler ever make.

Yeah,

I think its also harmed by how short the section is. We spend more pages on all three individual times Mat and Rand have to escape Darkfriends on the road to Caemlyn, or Perrin and Egwene's encounter with the Whitecloaks than we do on taking down three Forsaken.

It just feels super jammed in and rushed considering how drawn out most of the rest of the book (and series) is.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Drawing too much of the power is a constant temptation that all the channelers have to struggle against. Showing Aginor actually do so early on sets the stakes - this is the tool our protagonist must tame

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Ani posted:

Aginor was a terrible combatant and channeler, IIRC. He only got his Forsaken status because he was a brilliant genetic engineer. I could see him getting shaken enough about the situation to just completely fumble it.

Spek
Jun 15, 2012

Bagel!
He was supposed to have drawn too much? I thought Rand incinerated him with the Eye before heading off to murder trollocs/argue with Ishamael.

Either way the power use in the first book in general feels a bit incongruent with the later stuff at times.

Moiraine stepping over the walls of Baerlon.
Moiraine using a staff as a focus but no other channeler ever doing similar (outside of specific weaves like Moiraine's scrying using her keseira), and her never bothering to replace it after discarding it because of the Ways.
Healing people apparently giving you the ability to feel where they are which I vaguely think maybe comes up once or twice later but considering how much healing goes on and how often people are looking for each other it should come up very often

I'm sure there's a few other tidbits I don't remember at the moment and I know these have all been fanwanked away in one way or another but it always feels a bit off on re-reads to me.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Spek posted:

He was supposed to have drawn too much? I thought Rand incinerated him with the Eye before heading off to murder trollocs/argue with Ishamael.

Either way the power use in the first book in general feels a bit incongruent with the later stuff at times.

Moiraine using a staff as a focus but no other channeler ever doing similar (outside of specific weaves like Moiraine's scrying using her keseira), and her never bothering to replace it after discarding it because of the Ways.
Healing people apparently giving you the ability to feel where they are which I vaguely think maybe comes up once or twice later but considering how much healing goes on and how often people are looking for each other it should come up very often

I'm sure there's a few other tidbits I don't remember at the moment and I know these have all been fanwanked away in one way or another but it always feels a bit off on re-reads to me.

Moiraine stepping over the walls is definitely implied to be an illusion. Rand notes the door doesn't fully shut until after she's already out, so I always figured she walked out the gate while projecting the big Moiraine image.

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

I'm up to end of Fires of Heaven in my re-read and I'm wondering, is there a single boring Rand chapter in the whole series? Like for example Nynaeve as a whole is good, but some of these chapters while they're on the run, about being snippy at Elayne and angry at men and furious at low-cut cleavages are just ugh. Rand never stops doing interesting poo poo as far as I can remember.

The Neal!
Sep 3, 2004

HAY GUYZ! I want to be a director

JOHN SKELETON posted:

I'm up to end of Fires of Heaven in my re-read and I'm wondering, is there a single boring Rand chapter in the whole series? Like for example Nynaeve as a whole is good, but some of these chapters while they're on the run, about being snippy at Elayne and angry at men and furious at low-cut cleavages are just ugh. Rand never stops doing interesting poo poo as far as I can remember.

Maybe at some point where he's hanging out at that manor house for what seems like 3 books?

Also, I always feel like they threw in an ineffective Trolloc army getting massacred during that section of the series just to give him something to do (I know it explored a bit of his rivalry with Logain and made it more clear that Lews wasn't necessarily just madness because Lews was then doing stuff with the power Rand had never thought of but it was still felt really out of nowhere that this army had just showed up at his doorstep to get murdered).

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

Spek posted:

I agree it feels less part of the system that RJ lays out on the rest of the books, but I think at least some of that is intentional. It's the only book where you get the perspective of someone who knows jack poo poo about channeling and almost no first person perspective from people who can see weaves. That poo poo is impressive and scary to normies.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

The Neal! posted:

Maybe at some point where he's hanging out at that manor house for what seems like 3 books?

Also, I always feel like they threw in an ineffective Trolloc army getting massacred during that section of the series just to give him something to do (I know it explored a bit of his rivalry with Logain and made it more clear that Lews wasn't necessarily just madness because Lews was then doing stuff with the power Rand had never thought of but it was still felt really out of nowhere that this army had just showed up at his doorstep to get murdered).

god that bit just comes out of loving nowhere

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

god that bit just comes out of loving nowhere

It's brought up that Grandral was moving a massive army through the ways, posing as Samaeal
Spelling

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Yeah after I wrote that post I considered that it might be foreshadowing, but still, giant ineffectual army out of nowhere was pretty bizarre for a series that is generally pretty grounded

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Zore posted:

Moiraine stepping over the walls is definitely implied to be an illusion. Rand notes the door doesn't fully shut until after she's already out, so I always figured she walked out the gate while projecting the big Moiraine image.

I hate that I know this from the rpg but yeah it was specifically an illusion weave. “Spinning the Mosts and Mirrors” or something similar. I think it’s main use later is as a means of public address. It’s probably also technically what Rand and Ishy use when battling in the sky at Falme.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I loved that WoT tabletop RPG. In fact the only reason I ever discovered the books in the first place was because when I joined the tabletop games club in Highschool, they were in the process of playing the campaign that was released with it; and the teacher in charge of the club told me to start reading the series to familiarise myself with the setting.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

I hate that I know this from the rpg but yeah it was specifically an illusion weave. “Spinning the Mosts and Mirrors” or something similar. I think it’s main use later is as a means of public address. It’s probably also technically what Rand and Ishy use when battling in the sky at Falme.

The Tower ambassadors in LoC try to impress Rand with it and LTT just laughs at them in his head.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

The Lord Bude posted:

I loved that WoT tabletop RPG. In fact the only reason I ever discovered the books in the first place was because when I joined the tabletop games club in Highschool, they were in the process of playing the campaign that was released with it; and the teacher in charge of the club told me to start reading the series to familiarise myself with the setting.
i think this is the first time i've heard someone speak positively of that thing

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Nihilarian posted:

i think this is the first time i've heard someone speak positively of that thing

That’s surprising. It’s just 3rd ed d&d reskinned with WoT. If you like d&d and you like WoT how could it be bad? My only issue is that there was only ever the one professionally written campaign for it; but the teacher wrote his own as a follow up.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

There was a really awful wot mud I tried once.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

I tried to start a whitecloak but there was like no combat of any interest in their starting zone and then I tried to rp and no one responded and then I stopped, that's my story.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

The Lord Bude posted:

That’s surprising. It’s just 3rd ed d&d reskinned with WoT. If you like d&d and you like WoT how could it be bad? My only issue is that there was only ever the one professionally written campaign for it; but the teacher wrote his own as a follow up.
... 3rd edition was so bad they remade it (and it was still bad)

Slowpoke Rodriguez
Jun 20, 2009

silvergoose posted:

There was a really awful wot mud I tried once.

It must not have been Broken Seals or Fires of Heaven because those were great. :colbert:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Slowpoke Rodriguez posted:

It must not have been Broken Seals or Fires of Heaven because those were great. :colbert:

Neither of those ring a bell so dunno. It was also (many) years ago.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Nihilarian posted:

... 3rd edition was so bad they remade it (and it was still bad)

This is an extremely incorrect opinion.

Now the WoT FPS from the 90s - that was godawful.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

The Lord Bude posted:

This is an extremely incorrect opinion.

Now the WoT FPS from the 90s - that was godawful.

Lotta super wrong opinions it

It had *amazing* multiplayer.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Also there was a somewhat recent gdq run of it and it was amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Slowpoke Rodriguez posted:

I don't remember the one I played, but it had rj's blessing. I just remember that I played a make channeler and every now and then your chatter would "caper madly" or something to show that you were mad.