Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Shoulda been Unicron

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

SolarFire2 posted:

Ha, this is the guy who looked at the fact that Anakin's lightsaber is destroyed at the end of TLJ, and just has her fix it offscreen with what amounts to a band-aid.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

I haven't seen TROS but I hate it

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

JethroMcB posted:

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

JethroMcB posted:

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
I literally can't tell the difference between that and any other lightsaber.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

The implication that she learned all these advanced techniques for "healing Kyber crystals" and poo poo, and then just hastily duct-taped and welded the Anakin saber back together instead of forging her own is -- if anything -- way more insulting to people's intelligence

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015

Guy A. Person posted:

The implication that she learned all these advanced techniques for "healing Kyber crystals" and poo poo, and then just hastily duct-taped and welded the Anakin saber back together instead of forging her own is -- if anything -- way more insulting to people's intelligence

You know, it would have made a ton of sense to have Rey heal her broken lightsaber crystal on-screen in the movie where she discovers her special ability is healing, and not because she read Lightsaber Repair for Dummies offscreen between films.

It's stereotypical, but oh my god, there's so much that could have been done with "Rey the Healer".

Emrikol fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Feb 10, 2020

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Emrikol posted:

You know, it would have made a ton of sense to have Rey heal her broken lightsaber crystal on-screen in the movie where she discovers her special ability is healing, and not because she read Lightsaber Repair for Dummies offscreen between films.

It's stereotypical, but oh my god, there's so much that could have been done with "Rey the Healer".

I mean, healing typically is used in fantasy tropes as a way of damaging the undead. And if sheev was liching around....

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Sheevie

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

Jedi: Fallen Order does a way, way better job of handling broken light sabers.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
also the protag losing their lightsaber at the end of the second movie and making a new one already has a precedent

while there's a bunch of other stuff in the prequels that would contradict it that are relatively important ('this weapon is your life!' [throws saber underneath the passenger seat]), i almost want there to be a scene where anakin loses his lightsaber and then when he returns to the temple there's a big lost and found bin full of lightsabers and he just grabs one of those

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
They do something a little like that in episode 2; Anakin and Obi-Wan's lightsabers are confiscated and they're about to be executed, then a bunch of Jedi show up and throw them some spares

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015
I wanna see the Jedi with the foresight to carry a backup saber.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Emrikol posted:

Given how lightsaber fighting works when youre disarmed youre usually disarmed

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Emrikol posted:

Darth Maul was technically this, since his double-ender was literally just two lightsabers stuck together that could both function independently. (and it pays off given one of them gets destroyed in the fight with Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan)

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Darth Maul was technically this, since his double-ender was literally just two lightsabers stuck together that could both function independently. (and it pays off given one of them gets destroyed in the fight with Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan)

Thing is, Jedi in the old republic generally didn't have to account for having to fight other people with lightsabers. The Sith were supposedly in hiding for 1000 years until Maul showed up.

I'm sure if Dark Jedi were more of a common thing, this would be a more common occurrence, but the vast majority of Jedi would never face off against another force user outside of sparring. So the risk of damage to one's weapon was significantly lower.

Which is supposedly why Windu and Kenobi were tasked with taking on Palps and Dooku respectively; they were somewhat unique in their focus and training, that being fighting other Saber users. In Kenobi's case it was probably due to being the first Jedi to face a Sith warrior and live in a millenia, and Windu basically invented some crazy Light Saber form that somewhat toed the line towards the dark side, or was one of the only jedi to ever master it. Can't remember which.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

The temple has one of those bins like shopping centres use for umbrellas.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Don Dongington posted:

Thing is, Jedi in the old republic generally didn't have to account for having to fight other people with lightsabers. The Sith were supposedly in hiding for 1000 years until Maul showed up.

I'm sure if Dark Jedi were more of a common thing, this would be a more common occurrence, but the vast majority of Jedi would never face off against another force user outside of sparring. So the risk of damage to one's weapon was significantly lower.

Which is supposedly why Windu and Kenobi were tasked with taking on Palps and Dooku respectively; they were somewhat unique in their focus and training, that being fighting other Saber users. In Kenobi's case it was probably due to being the first Jedi to face a Sith warrior and live in a millenia, and Windu basically invented some crazy Light Saber form that somewhat toed the line towards the dark side, or was one of the only jedi to ever master it. Can't remember which.

Depends on how things go, some EU stuff has rogue Jedi definitely be a thing (Count Dooku was one before he went full Sith Lord), with one of Qui Gon's apprentices going rogue, enough that they practice lightsaber combat to keep sharp. I think what took them by surprise is that the Sith as an organised force were still out there, and they ran into a full blown Sith warrior with his own refined techniques and skill to match a Jedi Master that they have absolutely no record of. There's some suggestion that the Jedi are aware the history of the Sith is that as an organisation they tend to completely implode because the Dark Side encourages an attitude that makes Decepticons look loyal and stable, so they establish the Rule of Two so that the master and apprentice have incentive to work together until they're sure the apprentice has learned everything they can before disposing of the master. 'Cannibalistic leapfrog' I think the novelisation likens it to. And Yoda senses this one way or another, though they're not sure whether Maul was the master or the apprentice.

And it was a bit of both; Windu's fighting style is said to dip into the Dark Side and he's the only one to ever master it without falling to the dark.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Ghost Leviathan posted:

And it was a bit of both; Windu's fighting style is said to dip into the Dark Side and he's the only one to ever master it without falling to the dark.

how could a lightsaber style even "dip into the dark side" like does he exclusively just take vicious stabs at his opponents genitals or does his lightsaber spontaneously try to force-choke his opponent or what.

i'm only half-sarcastic, i would be curious to know how the old eu meaningfully differentiated whether lightsaber combat moves were somehow light side or dark side

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Freaking Crumbum posted:

how could a lightsaber style even "dip into the dark side" like does he exclusively just take vicious stabs at his opponents genitals or does his lightsaber spontaneously try to force-choke his opponent or what.

i'm only half-sarcastic, i would be curious to know how the old eu meaningfully differentiated whether lightsaber combat moves were somehow light side or dark side

It was mostly a mindset thing. You had to channel barely controlled rage and anger etc AFAIK.

Mace Windu was able to do so without actually ever losing control.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Freaking Crumbum posted:

to use it, you have to love yr opponent in a personal, romantic way. truly desire to kiss and marry them

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

Squizzle posted:

to use it, you have to love yr opponent in a personal, romantic way. truly desire to gently caress and cum

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Christ imagine how backed up a Jedi gets. You can probably block a lightsaber slice with those blue stones

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
thought i remembered hearing ages ago that ol' george said jedi can gently caress all they want, they're just not supposed to get into relationships

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

the ultimate expression of windus art is to raise children w yr opponent, see those children go out into the world, become parents themselves—and then to lightsaber that foe in their sleep and live in the emptiest nest of all

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

brutal

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

thought i remembered hearing ages ago that ol' george said jedi can gently caress all they want, they're just not supposed to get into relationships

Something tells me that was in response to Jolee Bindo in KOTOR going "drat right I was a Jedi, had a wife and lost her and I didn't go crazy evil, because I dealt with it like a normal human being instead of being a weird space monk about it. The Jedi are dumb."

E: And Obi-Wan's Mandalorian girlfriend in Clone Wars.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
Trying to humanize the Jedi and view them from a modern/post-modern lens of deconstructing stark dichotomies was a huge mistake. Leave them wise mysterious space monks who are the good guys imo

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
The worst thing to happen to Jedi was the prequels in like a hundred different ways.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

HootTheOwl posted:

The worst thing to happen to Jedi was the prequels in like a hundred different ways.

you know you want to post in prequeldome

search your feelings, you know it to be true

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

P much every star wars film is made worse by the context of other star wars films.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Tulip posted:

P much every star wars film is made worse by the context of other star wars films.

The Christmas Special wouldnt be half as fun without the other films

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Barudak posted:

The Christmas Special wouldnt be half as fun without the other films

:hmmyes:

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
The worst thing that ever happened to the Jedi was Order 66

Iron Chef Ramen
Sep 15, 2007

HA HA! YOU HAVE CHOSEN POORLY!

2house2fly posted:

:vince:

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2fH8FeoNs8

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

2house2fly posted:

Yeah I said so in the prequildome

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Tulip posted:

This is probably true, yeah. One of the most obvious examples of this is the way the reuse of characters and planets makes the galaxy feel very small.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/pixelatedboat/status/1229574576096464896