Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

RodShaft posted:

Ok. I need advice.

So, goons, what should I do? Can he gently caress with my account without me there?

Tldr: Sprint store manager charged a $45 restocking fee that Sprint had to credit me back even though there's no such thing as a restocking fee in any of their literature or policies. What do?

UPDATE: Turns out he CAN gently caress with my account, and I didn't even blast him on social media or even file a complaint.

I got my bill today. I was charged $440.81 for the iPad I returned. I called customer care and the warehouse has no record of receiving the iPad back. So now I've had to open a dispute. Customer Care says that it was probably human error and he just accidently screwed it up. They are going to reach out to the warehouse to see if it's just an error, then the store. I filled a formal complaint against him specifically and made sure to say that the employees there and customer care have been great but that guy was such an rear end that I can't recommend Sprint and I'll never set foot in his store again. They will be getting back to me in 3-5 business days to let me know the error and if it's the warehouse's fault and I get reimbursed, fine. But if it was "human error" at the store, I'm putting the story on every local social media platform and emailing every email of his superiors I can find. This is bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astral
Apr 26, 2004

RodShaft posted:

UPDATE: Turns out he CAN gently caress with my account, and I didn't even blast him on social media or even file a complaint.

I got my bill today. I was charged $440.81 for the iPad I returned. I called customer care and the warehouse has no record of receiving the iPad back. So now I've had to open a dispute. Customer Care says that it was probably human error and he just accidently screwed it up. They are going to reach out to the warehouse to see if it's just an error, then the store. I filled a formal complaint against him specifically and made sure to say that the employees there and customer care have been great but that guy was such an rear end that I can't recommend Sprint and I'll never set foot in his store again. They will be getting back to me in 3-5 business days to let me know the error and if it's the warehouse's fault and I get reimbursed, fine. But if it was "human error" at the store, I'm putting the story on every local social media platform and emailing every email of his superiors I can find. This is bullshit.

If I understand this correctly, you returned the iPad in-store, right? Can you not just send them a copy of the receipt that says you returned it?

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

astral posted:

If I understand this correctly, you returned the iPad in-store, right? Can you not just send them a copy of the receipt that says you returned it?

Yes. They can actually pull it up on their system. She said that he filed it in a really strange way. Like he really had to go out of his way to mess this up. Which is why I think it's intentional. So Customer Care said I have nothing to worry about. But I still have to wait 5 days.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

RodShaft posted:

Yes. They can actually pull it up on their system. She said that he filed it in a really strange way. Like he really had to go out of his way to mess this up. Which is why I think it's intentional. So Customer Care said I have nothing to worry about. But I still have to wait 5 days.

Wow, that's pretty awful. I'd personally still recommend against the social media blast just because that manager still has your info. If they were petty enough to intentionally screw with your return, there's a good chance they'd be petty enough to try something else.

If things don't work out with Care after this investigation, your next escalation level should definitely be to the department of Marci@sprint.com (SVP of Customer Care). They'll be able to take care of you.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

astral posted:

Wow, that's pretty awful. I'd personally still recommend against the social media blast just because that manager still has your info. If they were petty enough to intentionally screw with your return, there's a good chance they'd be petty enough to try something else.

If things don't work out with Care after this investigation, your next escalation level should definitely be to the department of Marci@sprint.com (SVP of Customer Care). They'll be able to take care of you.

Thanks. I've actually had nothing but a great experience with customer care. I had planned on posting about it here once I got my bill this month and everything was sorted.

I was able to switch to SWAC even though I had jumped off SERO awhile before SWAC existed. It turns out my account was flagged SERO even though my plan wasn't. Good info for anyone who jumped off SERO before SWAC but stayed with Sprint.

If I hadn't had (and am still having)an absolutely terrible experience with this lovely store manager, I wouldn't have spent hours taking to customer care and the nice lady wouldn't have told me I was eligible and I may have never known.

So yeah if you ever had SERO, you might want to try putting your info into the SWAC migration website.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Yeah, my customer care experiences have been pretty great too with the exception of their rampant confusion during the initial SERO->SWAC migration.

For example, a couple of days after I paid off my flex lease (in one payment), they sent me an email offering a $60 credit if I paid it off in monthly installments. Chatted into care to gently complain that "aw, hey, I just paid this off and only afterwards do you send me a nice offer like that?!" and they surpassed my expectations by giving me a $60 credit on the spot.

I haven't had any bad store experiences, but I do try to avoid them as much as possible. I did visit one when I had some reception issues and wanted to see if it was tower-related - a kind employee pulled up the tower map and showed me the status of all the towers in my area, though the results were somewhat inconclusive. I filled in those pinpoint network reports through the Sprint app for a while and eventually things got better.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

La morte non ha sesso
Sprint just called me to offer me a "free" tablet with a $25/mo service fee. Because I've been a loyal Sprint customer. Why the gently caress am I a loyal Sprint customer? I only answered because I was afraid there was a problem with my bill.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Halloween Jack posted:

Sprint just called me to offer me a "free" tablet with a $25/mo service fee. Because I've been a loyal Sprint customer. Why the gently caress am I a loyal Sprint customer? I only answered because I was afraid there was a problem with my bill.

Have you been to any sprint stores for help lately, or have you called telesales recently? I've never received any phone offers, so that's really odd. Occasionally I'll get an offer via text, but that's become increasingly rare.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

La morte non ha sesso
Not since I upgraded my phone, no. This is the second time they've called me with a promotional offer. The first time I asked them to send me an email or direct me to a website, and they said that this could only be discussed over the phone. That, at least, was on the weekend and not in the middle of the workday.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

That reeks of a phishing scam since spoofing caller ID is so easy.

E: duck autocorrect

corgski fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jan 24, 2020

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

Halloween Jack posted:

Don't do it. Did you not read my tale of woe. IT'S CHUCK FULL OF WOE!

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

corgski posted:

That reeks of a fishing scam since spoofing caller ID is so easy.

A good number of retail stores call customers from years past during downtime , so it’s also possible it was random sales rep phishing for sales.

That said, yeah, never buy for someone calling you.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

UPDATE: The warehouse found it. So I just need to calm it on down. The discount is applied to my bill so hopefully it won't autopay.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
https://www.theverge.com/2020/2/11/21132924/tmobile-sprint-merger-approved-federal-court-antitrust-lawsuit

Sprint is now officially Dead Man Walking. RIP.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
They'll need to claw SWAC out of my cold, dead hands!!!

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

I do hope we can keep our plans. But we all knew this was the better of the two outcomes.

Even if SWAC has to rise $10-20 more its still a good deal.

Will be interesting to see how things still end up playing out. I wonder how long it will take for the tower merge to happen and see if coverage using all their bands happens on some current phones?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Medullah posted:

They'll need to claw SWAC out of my cold, dead hands!!!
Same.

And yeah, I can stand SWAC for $100 for my two lines. It's still a great deal. Reminds me I need to migrate my parents over soon...

Maybe California can save us!

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

EdEddnEddy posted:

I do hope we can keep our plans. But we all knew this was the better of the two outcomes.

Even if SWAC has to rise $10-20 more its still a good deal.

Will be interesting to see how things still end up playing out. I wonder how long it will take for the tower merge to happen and see if coverage using all their bands happens on some current phones?

Eh, I really don’t think having Dish network, who has talked about building a network for 10 years without doubt so, replace Sprint is really the best answer for consumers and competition.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

Eh, I really don’t think having Dish network, who has talked about building a network for 10 years without doubt so, replace Sprint is really the best answer for consumers and competition.

I actually know people who are actively working on the Dish mobile network so they’re at least pretending better than when they weren’t even doing that.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

California can't save itself let alone mobile networks. Hell permitting was part of the pain in the rear end to get towers built years ago.

On the other side, we all know Sprint either merges now, or goes bankrupt and is then is stripped for spectrum/customers anyway.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

god this blows posted:

I actually know people who are actively working on the Dish mobile network so they’re at least pretending better than when they weren’t even doing that.

Unless they’re accountants it’s probably for naught. Still far more likely Dish just pays the fine vs. the outlay for a somewhat viable network.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

GoatSeeGuy posted:

Unless they’re accountants it’s probably for naught. Still far more likely Dish just pays the fine vs. the outlay for a somewhat viable network.

They're actual Telecommunications engineer folks. I was recruited but I heard bad things about working for Dish from people in the past so I passed.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
This sounds great! It will probably be fine:

https://www.theverge.com/platform/amp/2020/2/12/21134278/sprint-tmobile-merger-court-ruling-opinion-decision-explainer-carriers-antitrust

Hilarious read.

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

So now that the merger happened, would it be a good or bad thing to sign up for Sprint? I would think that whatever deal I sign up with might not last.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Zapf Dingbat posted:

So now that the merger happened, would it be a good or bad thing to sign up for Sprint? I would think that whatever deal I sign up with might not last.

It’ll take 3ish years for them to fully integrate, so a 2 year deal is probably ok. That said, it’s still Sprint coverage, which will likely be a lower priority for them (upkeep wise) for sure and it’s not like it was good to begin with.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
T-Mobile will be moving Sprint customers over to the T-Mobile network pretty much as soon as they can after the merger is finalized. They estimate about half of Sprint customers can be migrated just through a software update on their phone. As long as you buy a fairly recent phone compatible with T-Mobile's bands (in particular look for band 71 support to ensure you get good coverage indoors and in rural areas) you should be good.

T-Mobile has also promised they won't raise rates for 3 years after the merger and has historically been generous with grandfathering old plans as long as you want to keep them (or transferring you to more generous plans at the same cost if they can't support the old plan for whatever reason). Any perks with third parties may not last but your actual phone service should be secure for at least 3 years.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

One surprising casualty seems to be the HTC 5G Hub which is literally out of stock everywhere that I can find.

A friend of ours waited too drat long to pull the trigger as it would have been the perfect lite home internet they need where they are at. They get near perfect Sprint 4G out there currently so it would have been pretty good for their lite use case.

Hopefully they will drop a new one supporting both Sprints 5G and T-Mobiles in the near future as that Hub really was a good bang for the buck.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
FYI Sprint now offers 5G on any unlimited plan, including the Unlimited Kickstart plans, at no extra cost. You need to have a compatible 5G phone to activate 5G service, of course.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
Is there any way to con brick and mortar sprint stores (corporate or not) to sell SIM cards? Every single time I need one I call about 10 stores and its always the same bullshit "uhhh its locked in the safe on a timer" or some other nonsense. I mean holy poo poo guys no sprint store within 10 miles has a SIMOLW516TQ sim card for the most popular phones in the world at the moment? Wow so no one is activating any new phones today.

Whats the real reason they horde them and is there any way to use another sim?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

maniacripper posted:

Is there any way to con brick and mortar sprint stores (corporate or not) to sell SIM cards? Every single time I need one I call about 10 stores and its always the same bullshit "uhhh its locked in the safe on a timer" or some other nonsense. I mean holy poo poo guys no sprint store within 10 miles has a SIMOLW516TQ sim card for the most popular phones in the world at the moment? Wow so no one is activating any new phones today.

Must be the most valuable thing in the world because every time I need a new one it's a loving nightmare. I have to plan for a week of not having a phone whenever I upgrade (Pixels off Google direct). Last time I went into a store and they sold me one, wasn't the right one - despite me saying "This isn't the right one" they insisted it was the right one. Get home, doesn't work, go into the store, get a different "right one" which still wasn't the right one, finally they tell me I need to go through Sprint.com. So I do, two days later (Gotta be home to sign for it!) card arrives, works just fine.

Week or so later, phone starts acting up. Call Google and they exchange it out. Guess what? Can't use the same SIM card! Gotta get a new one that's the same model!

astral
Apr 26, 2004

maniacripper posted:

Corporate or third-party stores?

e: Normally you can buy them online for something like $2.99

astral fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Feb 21, 2020

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

I only have stores here that either have them, or don't. Never had trouble getting one for free when they have them in stock.

The hard part is when a phone is brand spanking new and they might not stock that specific sim at the time. :/

Weird.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
SIMOLW516TQ is in the 4-in-1 Universal SIM kits that Best Buy sells in store, if that helps any.

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!
Can I just buy an unlocked phone and use it on Sprints network? I see a decent discount for the S10+ and the unlocked version with a discount seems to be cheaper than the Sprint version. How does that work? And can I switch networks with that phone after Sprint inevitably crashes out?

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
yes

sprint sucked at unlocking for me when i went abroad so i would totally go for it.
it's a long story but it took 8 people before the last person pressed a finalize button to finish and make it actually go through. not a fun time while traveling.

unless it changed recently it was just put old sim in new phone, go on my sprint whatever and add the new device. i'm pretty sure there was no scummy $30 activation fee for doing that.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

The best way to unlock Sprint phones is to use their international department's chat page. Late last year, it only took one contact for my phone to be successfully unlocked, though it does take up to a couple of days so make sure to do it ahead of the time you need it to be unlocked.

e: http://sprintworldwide.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/sprintworldwide.cfg/php/enduser/chat.php?INTNAV=Support:International:Chat - link is from https://www.sprint.com/en/support/international.html 'Contact Sprint Worldwide Care'

astral fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Feb 29, 2020

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
$3 to panera in the sprint app!

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
Hello I finally got a new phone for Tello that I've been thinking about for over six months. I got a 2017 LG V30+ ThinQ for $90 on Ebay. Had to return the first one for a bad EMEI that wouldn't work with Tello ($12 a month ha ha) but the next one worked. It has 4 gigs of ram and 128 gigs of storage so it is great and a huge upgrade from my Galaxy S5. And where have fingerprint sensors been all my life?

I did have to go through some hassles to get a SIM card for it. The first store I went to had a snotty little kid who said SIM cards are attached to Sprint accounts so I cannot give you one!

Then I called a different store and the nice person said they had all kinds of SIM cards and could sell them to me. I went in there and she opened the SIM card drawer and went through a whole stack of them before she found one that would fit my phone (even though I explained I was using Tello and just needed a SIM for my phone.) She said they send her so many she doesn't know what to do with them so I could just have the SIM card (she even installed it for me.) It was one of the ones with Sprint/Virgin/Boost branding on it if that helps anyone else.

I was trying to make small talk while she was looking for the right model # and asked if Sprint was going to bounce back after the Tmobile merger. With a straight face while standing in a large completely empty Sprint store on a Saturday afternoon she said huge amounts of people were switching to Sprint. I just went along with it because I didn't want to ruin her giving me a SIM card.

unbuttonedclone fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Mar 8, 2020

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Just a heads-up but the LG V50 ThinQ 5G is free with a new line today as a $0 Flex Lease.

Probably because the 5G won't work on the New T-Mobile in the long run but it will still probably be a rather ok 4G device.

Just looked and was able to get the deal if I added a line to my SWAC account. The other thing I am really happy about is the fact that I actually Can add another SWAC line to my account. After so many years on SERO and the hoops to add a line then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlyWhiteBoy
Jul 13, 2004

EdEddnEddy posted:

Just a heads-up but the LG V50 ThinQ 5G is free with a new line today as a $0 Flex Lease.

Probably because the 5G won't work on the New T-Mobile in the long run but it will still probably be a rather ok 4G device.

Just looked and was able to get the deal if I added a line to my SWAC account. The other thing I am really happy about is the fact that I actually Can add another SWAC line to my account. After so many years on SERO and the hoops to add a line then.

Question along these lines. Is it possible to add a new line to SWAC for a month and then cancel the old line to get the deal? The S20 deal on Sprint is so tempting I just need to find a way to get it.