Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Thought that was pretty well established after the delay with him saying the future of his involvement with the project was up in the air.

Either way I don't think anyone should be too broken up about it. Doing a faithful adaptation of the anime (or—yuck—the manga) would be a pretty bad idea, and not for the "You can't take it out of Japan!" reasons that nerds always yell about. The original is so inherently tied to the cyberpunk era that a modern live-action adaptation would feel silly and empty in comparison. That genre is dead and buried for a reason: its thematics became our reality, but its plot is stuck inextricably in the 80s. Any good adaptation would have to change so much of its DNA to make it feel like a relevant commentary on today's world that it would no longer resemble the source material.

Blade Runner 2049 is such a wild success because it left all the surface-level cyberpunk nonsense behind and adapted the thematics to today's world. Street gangs of disaffected youths dealing drugs and terrorizing each other in biker gangs is Regan-era pearl-clutching stuff that has no business having $200 million spent on it. A best-case scenario for a faithful adaptation of Akira is critics and fans thinking it was "pretty cool" and forgetting it a few months later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

feedmyleg posted:

Thought that was pretty well established after the delay with him saying the future of his involvement with the project was up in the air.

Either way I don't think anyone should be too broken up about it. Doing a faithful adaptation of the anime (or—yuck—the manga) would be a pretty bad idea, and not for the "You can't take it out of Japan!" reasons that nerds always yell about. The original is so inherently tied to the cyberpunk era that a modern live-action adaptation would feel silly and empty in comparison. That genre is dead and buried for a reason: its thematics became our reality, but its plot is stuck inextricably in the 80s. Any good adaptation would have to change so much of its DNA to make it feel like a relevant commentary on today's world that it would no longer resemble the source material.

Blade Runner 2049 is such a wild success because it left all the surface-level cyberpunk nonsense behind and adapted the thematics to today's world. Street gangs of disaffected youths dealing drugs and terrorizing each other in biker gangs is Regan-era pearl-clutching stuff that has no business having $200 million spent on it. A best-case scenario for a faithful adaptation of Akira is critics and fans thinking it was "pretty cool" and forgetting it a few months later.

Even as someone who would hate to see a live-action Akira, I don't know that I agree with that. I think a story about street gangs battling for supremacy while a nervous overclass luxuriates in highrises and the army plots to take over is something that would resonate with a lot of people today - you just need to make the street gangs explicitly political. (Which a major studio would never do, but still.)

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

feedmyleg posted:

Blade Runner 2049 is such a wild success

:airquote:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

You can't go wrong getting someone from Lock Stock & Two Smoking Barrels to play your English dude. :v:

Apparently they approached people like Christian Slater, Tim Roth, Sean Bean, Keanu Reeves, Pierce Brosnan, and Jason Statham for the role and Statham went "Uhhhhhh I might know a bloke who's more in your price range ...."

The entire production was pretty dodgy

the only thing missing from Putin's autocratic plutocracy is him starring in his own series of movies

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Lobok posted:

"loving" Cesar Romero? As if he isn't an awesome Joker and perhaps the most comic accurate take on him yet? Moustache aside, that is.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I think the idea isn't that Romero sucked, but that it's weird to outright 100% exclude the guy who had the role like 4 years ago, and also pull the guy who had it on TV before most of us were born

Exactly what I was getting at, Mister BOOTY.

And the compilations do usually include Hamill. They go Cesar Romero, Jack Nicholson, Mark Hamill, Heath Ledger, and Joaquin Phoenix, skipping right the gently caress over Jared Leto.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Jack Nicholson was just playing himself, he doesn't deserve to be that high on the list :colbert:

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
It was chronological, uncross those arms.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The greatest joke Jared Leto ever made was convincing the world he didn't exist

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

feedmyleg posted:

For the same reasons, I wonder if anyone will ever get an adaptation of Neuromancer off the ground, since it hasn’t been done already. As well, I re-read William Gibson’s 90s Bridge trilogy last year, and it was very prescient... marginalized outsider cultures, insecure gig work, oligarchs whose wealth is based on the ability to harness vast flows of data... one of the few things it got wrong was the presence of a functional HIV vaccine. But because it was so prescient, I don’t think it has much more to tell us about now.

I understand Amazon is adapting The Peripheral as a miniseries, but that one is at least an interesting structural experiment, due to having two future timelines running lockstep in parallel.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Welp

https://film.avclub.com/no-digital-makeover-or-smaller-teeth-can-fix-everythi-1841654287

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

A Sometimes Food posted:

Given the plot of the new Shrunk is apparently about the dad being widowed after the mother got cancer and reconnecting with his kids, maybe he's a lot more involved in this? Like if Moranis isn't deeply involved that plot seems like it would be uncomfortable for everyone.

Honey, I Couldn't Shrink The Tumor

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Honey, I shrunk the kids.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

When I saw the first trailer I wasn't even reacting so much to the hedgehog monstrosity so much as how bland everything else looked. Sonic's games take place in worlds full of bright colors and ridiculous geography, instead we're just on... a highway.

So yeah no big surprise.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Like honestly it was never going to be better than “sonic with a human girlfriend” territory

That gf is James marsden

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I’m not sure I believe the idea that the original idea was intentionally bad and was not the real design for marketing but it sure seems to have done that anyways, considering it made everyone ignore how horrendously unfunny the trailers were otherwise.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I just find it funny they even show glimpses of his world and then boom were on the road in the real world because “the director of Deadpool” live action was the direction this needed to go instead of slapping a generic CG animation shaded on everything and calling it a day aince that would have made them money

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Pirate Jet posted:

I’m not sure I believe the idea that the original idea was intentionally bad and was not the real design for marketing but it sure seems to have done that anyways, considering it made everyone ignore how horrendously unfunny the trailers were otherwise.

I know food comparisons are rightfully frowned upon here, but that's like making GBS threads on your pasta to hide the fact it's a little too al dente.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

The Goonies is coming to tv, in that there will be a tv series about a teacher who helps students film their own shot for shot remake of The Goonies, kind of like that Raiders of the Lost Ark remake those kids did.

quote:

Fox has handed out a pilot order to an untitled drama about a substitute teacher who, with three students, attempts to re-enact The Goonies.

The Bold Type and Parenthood alum Sarah Watson will pen the script for the project, which hails from Warner Bros. TV, Fox's content accelerator SideCar and Amblin TV. Here's the formal logline: After failing to make it in New York and carrying a heavy secret with her, Stella Cooper returns to her distressed automotive hometown to substitute teach. She finds inspiration, hope and ultimately salvation when she agrees to help three students who are pursuing their filmmaking dreams by putting on an impossibly ambitious shot-for-shot remake of one of their favorite movies —The Goonies. Over the course of the season of the potential series, their passion will inspire a town in desperate need of hope in this love letter to the power of cinema, storytelling and dreams.

Greg Mottola (Superbad, HBO's The Newsroom) will executive produce and direct the pilot. SideCar's Gail Berman will also exec produce alongside Lauren Shuler Donner, Richard Donner and Amblin's Justin Falvey and Darryl Frank.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/goonies-enactment-drama-nabs-fox-pilot-pickup-1279050

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

America’s economy still leads the way over China in goony based industry

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

That actually sounds pretty cool, though I doubt it captures the magic of the Raiders remake.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
Leto is out at wb because he annoyed some high up with his whining when joker movie broke out. His agency severe their relationship with him iirc.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

sportsgenius86 posted:

Honey, I Couldn't Shrink The Tumor

Grendels Dad posted:

Honey, I shrunk the kids.

Alright, both of these made me laugh.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Ari Aster would make an amazing shrunk the kids movie.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Alan Smithee posted:

Like honestly it was never going to be better than “sonic with a human girlfriend” territory

That gf is James marsden

The entire movie is a dream and Marsden is actually forgotten Sega marketing character Niles Nemo.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Femur posted:

Leto is out at wb because he annoyed some high up with his whining when joker movie broke out. His agency severe their relationship with him iirc.

Do you think it will annoy him when his obituary ignores his collective works to simply read "Statutory Rapist , Worst Person to Play the Joker (Yes we can objectively measure that now, its the future), Dies."

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Billie Eilish's Bond song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oAAlssVwEw

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The MSJ posted:

The entire movie is a dream and Marsden is actually forgotten Sega marketing character Niles Nemo.

You totally just watched that Slopes Game Room video today.

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

The MSJ posted:

He's Alex Kidd, doomed to repeat this movie for all eternity as punishment for the sin of unmarketability.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

This just feels like they wanted to bring back Adele, but they knew it wouldn't fly, so they found the biggest female artist who they could mold into that. Add a sad, referential theme song, shoved it out and said it's done.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

This is kinda meh,snake eater still the reigning champion of best bond inspired songs.followed by weird Al.

Man, thinking about it , bond hasn't had great theme songs in these last decades.adele, garbage and...Tina turner's was kinda fun?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

quote:

The film rises not even above the low bar of your average video game adaptation: Last summer’s Detective Pikachu was lousy, too, but it at least offered some gimcrack spectacle in the spirit of its source material.

Lost any credibility for me here.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

It's good

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I'm pretty sure the Sonic movie is going to be fair to decent, make slightly over budget, and be forgotten about by April.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Antifa Poltergeist posted:

This is kinda meh,snake eater still the reigning champion of best bond inspired songs.followed by weird Al.

Man, thinking about it , bond hasn't had great theme songs in these last decades.adele, garbage and...Tina turner's was kinda fun?

I love the rock version of You Know My Name.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9jWxLonMHU

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Antifa Poltergeist posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfXEL6bVFQI

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Leavemywife posted:

I'm pretty sure the Sonic movie is going to be fair to decent, make slightly over budget, and be forgotten about by April.

The kids in the theater were really into it. There's not much else to it though, it is very forgettable. Also Sonic randomly calls Jim Carrey Dr. Eggman twice for no reason, otherwise it's all Dr Robotnik.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Barudak posted:

Do you think it will annoy him when his obituary ignores his collective works to simply read "Statutory Rapist , Worst Person to Play the Joker (Yes we can objectively measure that now, its the future), Dies."

I like that this question takes as a given that Jared Leto will pull a Tom Sawyer so he can see the reaction.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I mean I like it but... Ugh. Remember when bond songs used to be fun? Remember Live and Let Die? You Only Live Twice? Hell, You Know My Name?

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

RatHat posted:

Lost any credibility for me here.

I'm probably gonna listen to that guy because I also really didn't like Detective Pikachu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

The Clowner posted:

I mean I like it but... Ugh. Remember when bond songs used to be fun? Remember Live and Let Die? You Only Live Twice? Hell, You Know My Name?

The song for Spectre appear to match the movie's story of Bond basically being at the lowest point of his life and ended with him quitting. I am certain the new movie will be likewise.