Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

also like that instead of making the federation totally bullshit, it fulfilled the current scifi demand of having secretive people doing bad poo poo demanding action scenes, by having the romulans supplying a conspiracy. it makes the federation merely fall short instead of straight up betraying trek fundamentals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The actual subtext of The Outrageous Okona doing action movie medicine is trying to look cool in front of dad who just points out how everything in his room is sorted alphabetically

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The actual subtext of The Outrageous Okona doing action movie medicine is trying to look cool in front of dad who just points out how everything in his room is sorted alphabetically

it was nice that justice league picard had the discretion to not ask why his emh was himself but vaguely irish

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Squizzle posted:

it was nice that justice league picard had the discretion to not ask why his emh was himself but vaguely irish

Given the EMH is cheery and fanboying over Picard and wanting to be sensible I figure it's a case of literal projection

Does seem like they're going for a theme of deliberately misleading first impressions for introducing characters

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Squizzle posted:

also like that instead of making the federation totally bullshit, it fulfilled the current scifi demand of having secretive people doing bad poo poo demanding action scenes, by having the romulans supplying a conspiracy. it makes the federation merely fall short instead of straight up betraying trek fundamentals

That sucks rear end

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How do you even watch this show

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

How do you even watch this show

On my TV screen.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

on screen

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

i went into this ep thinking—based on the previews last week—thar it would be bad robot/kurtzman era trek “how about swords and personal combat??” trash and i still liked it. during the borg floorskating bit i said aloud “michael chabon cannot imagine a group w a coherent identity that does not have rituals”. the romulan nuns were good and the wuxia fight was mediocre but such is life

loved that they used the existing chateau set to save money but in so doing patched in a technological explanation that ultimately spoke to characters—trek af. thought that chabon gave the doc too many literary verbal tics that would work on a page but not onscreen. still liked that we got a chabon/frakes joint

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

still fuckin hate the ship tho

looks like it came from a video game not from star trek

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Squizzle posted:

still fuckin hate the ship tho

looks like it came from a video game not from star trek

That's kind of my only sticking point too. Hell, the ship from Star Trek: Renegades looked better. Picard still loving rocks though.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

the sound design for space bullshit was waaaaay better than you usually find in trek

the bwaang as that poo poo bounced off the planet shields was satisfying

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Watching the new episode, mostly liking it

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Hey look it's seven of nine

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

i kinda liked it but star terk used to lead and now it is a follower-oner

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

oh but seriously I posted:

i kinda liked it but star terk used to lead and now it is a follower-oner

A knock-on effect of being off the air for nearly 15 years (or longer depending on how you view Enterprise’s contributions to the franchise). A glut of really good sci-fi sprung up in the untended glade that Star Trek used to call home and now it’s playing catch up like crazy.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

this ep lacked the pacing problems of the first 3 imo. it had a solid beginning, middle, and end. and it went to a planet, had an adventure, and left—the wagon train to the stars standard. the sooner that beardy romulan gently caress-spy gets ejected from the show, the better tho. deeply unlikeäble

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I'd like to echo every word of the above post.

Chasterson
Aug 16, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
Just found out that the ex-borg who is head of the spooky romulan borg project is Hugh, same actor and everything. blew my mind

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Bit of a hughe reveal I know.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Squizzle posted:

this ep lacked the pacing problems of the first 3 imo. it had a solid beginning, middle, and end. and it went to a planet, had an adventure, and left—the wagon train to the stars standard. the sooner that beardy romulan gently caress-spy gets ejected from the show, the better tho. deeply unlikeäble

The spy guy and his weirdly incestuous sister (is that a thing with Romulans? idk) have basically had exactly the same conversation for the past three episodes, its like they're doing a reminder bit on an old RKO serial but not actually advancing their plot at all

SO what have you found while seducing the robot girl?
Some, but not all information.
Well find out more soon or I will torture her

aaand repeat.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

NoneMoreNegative posted:

The spy guy and his weirdly incestuous sister (is that a thing with Romulans? idk) have basically had exactly the same conversation for the past three episodes, its like they're doing a reminder bit on an old RKO serial but not actually advancing their plot at all

aaand repeat.

the absolute worst aspect of the show so far is that guy

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

i dislike him, and not in a “good villain that you love to hate” way. he and his plot (such as it is) make the show less enjoyable

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Squizzle posted:

yeah, i'm getting bored of hearing him and his sister talk about their evil plans for 5 minutes each episode.

wow your sister wants you to do the evil stuff and notices you're conflicted and you're conflicted but you're going to do your evil plan awesome I think we loving get it

NoneMoreNegative posted:

aaand repeat.

just looked up and glad im not the only one who noticed. I'm usually okay with watching bad TV because I like sci fi but this is really bad garbage

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Chasterson posted:

Just found out that the ex-borg who is head of the spooky romulan borg project is Hugh, same actor and everything. blew my mind

I thought that was him, and to the show's credit it doesn't go out of the way to explain the reference as soon as that detail is introduced, at least not yet.

i wonder if we'll get anything satisfactory from picard meeting bruce maddox for the first time since measure of a man

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Feb 16, 2020

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

i figure the caper ep where they maybe find maddox is next, and hope that the ep after that is 45 min of picard and maddox talking about philosophy and ethics and society in a room lit for dramatic chiaroscuro effect

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
maddox is probably dead, rip. but maybe he can talk to a simulacrum of maddox

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

bruce’s interactive intelligent memoir, mad.docx

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Maddox is chilling out on the best planet in the universe

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Squizzle posted:

i dislike him, and not in a “good villain that you love to hate” way. he and his plot (such as it is) make the show less enjoyable

Im very excited for him to be redeemed when he kills his sister to save the robot girl because of love. its the kind of stupid poo poo nu-trek loves.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

rios is so deep in denial at being a riker that he resents how badly he needs a crew and poo poo talks all of his holograms :3:

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

im gonna watch the new picard later tonite. further bulletins as events warrant

Chasterson
Aug 16, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

Squizzle posted:

im gonna watch the new picard later tonite. further bulletins as events warrant

same

Chasterson
Aug 16, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
the loving space weed ad guy

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

why is she named vajazzle

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
maddox is alive i was wrong

edit: oh

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

(tue deceoratioon of the mons pubis w rhinestone)

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

eurgh

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Needs to use CGI for Bigger Jean Luuc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

that was the least good ep thus far. i love a good caper, but this was almost relentlessly grim from beginning (icheb wtf) to end (agnes wtf) and lacked the core of hope and morality that has made the series work so far