Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

snugglz
Nov 12, 2004
moist sod for your hogan

this is a nice photo. I like this photo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

snugglz posted:

Yup

That's how you sell cars, drat. That photo makes me want to own that car.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience

KakerMix posted:

If the port isn't open you aren't charged for those days, you always get whatever free days PLUS weekends. I'd think you'd be charged on Monday but maybe not idk, you've had so many problems and I thought I had it bad with Snailpocalypse.

That makes sense. It also might mean I get Monday free.

When I think about it, nothing much has gone genuinely "wrong" until now where we missed the pickup. Yes the date of manufacture is off by a year on the bill of lading. But if that doesn't cause any issues then it's okay. Hell, the camper had to be DRIVEN from Hokkaido down to Tokyo and that went off without a hitch. That's drat miraculous I think.

It's just been a bit of a slog and effects of me getting too involved and anxious. I think if I had insisted on the people I am paying to sort it out among themselves I would have wound up in the same spot. But alas, I am by nature a problem solver and it gets the better of me sometimes.

The learning opportunity here is: You're paying people to do this for you. Don't get involved. I know a handful of people in this thread said that to me in some form or another but it's hard to subscribe to until you're through your first experience.

French Canadian fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Feb 8, 2020

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Hell yeah :fap:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

snugglz posted:

Indeed. I realize it was probably just an opportunity that presented itself, but find somewhere without other cars and a little less parking lot clutter with that sunset, and it’ll be perfect.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

V A P O R W A V E

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Ethics_Gradient posted:

V A P O R W A V E

I used https://www.photomosh.com which came up when I typed in vaporwave filter :confused:

French Canadian fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Feb 9, 2020

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

French Canadian posted:

https://www.photomosh.com came up when I typed in vaporwave filter :confused:

Holy poo poo it's even better. It'd be perfect if all those much-newer cars weren't there.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

French Canadian posted:

https://www.photomosh.com came up when I typed in vaporwave filter :confused:

Emptyquoting this

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Kaker please do the needful and rephoto at sunset with no extra cars, just palm trees ;)

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

French Canadian posted:

I used https://www.photomosh.com which came up when I typed in vaporwave filter :confused:

:stwoon:

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

KakerMix posted:

But we also have the MR2 back with new belts, seals, water pump and tires. Belts were all original to the car from December of 1993, tires were 5~ years old but already out of round. Cleaned up the exterior but have yet to detail the inside. Goddamn is this thing fun.

I kinda wanna buy this just from that pic

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

French Canadian posted:

Kaker please do the needful and rephoto at sunset with no extra cars, just palm trees ;)
AESTHETIC

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
What would be a good soundtrack?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Jan Hammer

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Charles posted:

https://gifsound.com/?gif=https%3A%2F%2Fi.postimg.cc%2FG9082P2j%2FMOSHED-2020-2-8-17-31-9.gif&v=g7EO6x8B8yI

TiL YTMND has been semi-down since last year :negative:

Ethics_Gradient fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Feb 9, 2020

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

French Canadian posted:

That was 30 minutes away and a chance photo my wife took after we left a restaurant. Took* these tonight elsewhere:

*Unmodified photos are in this gallery if anyone cares: https://photos.app.goo.gl/Ys8MSzXZwfu3rGMo6
The color simply wasn't there tonight and I apologize for lack of palm trees. I hosed with them in photoshop.

Charles posted:

https://soundcloud.com/sunglasseskid/knockout-sunglasses-kid-feat-phaserland

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Charles posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41_svUt5_e0

Delorence Fickle
Feb 21, 2011

Charles posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPJIvodZEtM

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Charles posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6h-Vb6XbA0s

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Holy gently caress, it's out of the port finally. Sitting in storage waiting pickup. But the transport fees have added up quite a bit. It's about $1150 all said and done to Wisconsin :(

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Auction Sheet posted:

5mt, 5 digit odometer reading, mileage unverified, aftermarket steering wheel, front side member slightly bent, front inner liner dents, core support dents, engine oil leak, undercarriage surface rust, interior and ceiling liner dirty, seats torn sunk and dirty, carpet stains, door and interior panels scratched, mirrors scratched, rear wiper missing, aftermarket audio, wheels surface rust, hitch member installed, front end modifications, small chips in windshield, other dents scratches paint marks paint waves surface rust and corrosion

Inspection Report posted:

engine starts idles and revs fine, no smoke or vibrations, timing belt sticker at 69,xxx km, no sludge, coolant ok, valve cover area slightly oily but not dripping, tires at 50% cracked, spare old and cracked, no leaks mold or rust in trunk, undercarraige ok, boots ok, body as is in diagram, windshield chips small, rear seats removed, hard to tell if vehicle was in an actual collision or not, drivers seat door side and front 5cm and 20cm tear, passenger seat front cracks, dashboard center console area patched, ceiling liner dirty, cargo area dirty, no burns, does have AC but not working, gears ok, clutch worn, check lamps ok, 4wd ok, license plate lamp burnt out, other lights ok, wipers ok

1986 Toyota Blizzard, know to true friends of the thread as a Toyota-badged Daihatsu Rugger, with Toyota's own 2L-T 4cyl turbo diesel engine also found in pre-1990 70 series Land Cruisers. The Daihatsu 2.8 block is favored by most, but both are good engines. Has the rear wheel center caps and all 5 original Blizzzard wheels which is cool as hell, two-tone maroon and silver paint WITH AC even though it isn't working. If its anything like the Rugger it just needs a can or two of R12 and it will be back to blowing chill air. Odometer has rolled over once and will probably need it's timing belt service done when it arrives, not a big deal on the 2L engines, not even a little bit. Suppose I should expect also having to replace the entire suspension like I've had to do on my other two 80s Ruggers. Guess we'll see what replacing a clutch is like in one of these things too.

http://www.toyota-global.com/company/history_of_toyota/75years/vehicle_lineage/car/id60012437/index.html

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Feb 11, 2020

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Very jealous of the Blizzard, almost went after it myself, had 2 others I was locked onto last night and lost both. Congrats.

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009

French Canadian posted:

Holy gently caress, it's out of the port finally. Sitting in storage waiting pickup. But the transport fees have added up quite a bit. It's about $1150 all said and done to Wisconsin :(

When should I be on the lookout for it on Madison / Milwaukee roads? :D

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009

French Canadian posted:

I made some bad assumptions about Wisconsin's automotive freedoms.

http://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/statutes/statutes/341/I/10/6

https://wisconsindot.gov/Pages/dmv/vehicles/title-plates/foreign-veh.aspx

The National Highway Traffic and Safety Administration (NHTSA) and the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) allows for vehicles to be imported into the country once the vehicle has reached a certain age. However, NHTSA and EPA are not responsible for regulating the operation of motor vehicles on public roads in the U.S. or for titling or registering motor vehicles for such operation: that is the responsibility of the individual states.

...that last line reads like some bullshit states rights nonsense.

I called the DMV just to ask, and the one guy in the special department of the DMV was pretty adamant that Wisconsin's laws supersede the federal 25 year import law of not needing any safety adaptations.

So whatever year the vehicle is, even if 25 years old, it must match the NHTSA reqs for that year or something.

Sounds super dumb. I'm inclined to just throw caution to the wind and walk into the office and try to register it.

I hear that "collector car registration" is an option and what minitruck owners use in Wisconsin.

Anyone here know anyone who registered a non-minitruck in Wisconsin recently?

Sorry, if this is an old/out of date reply. Have a US market 86 MR2 that is fully caged and near race spec (showroom stock) with standard WI plates on it. We can get away with a ton of poo poo it seems.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Yes.

KakerMix posted:

That was 30 minutes away and a chance photo my wife took after we left a restaurant. Took* these tonight elsewhere:

*Unmodified photos are in this gallery if anyone cares: https://photos.app.goo.gl/Ys8MSzXZwfu3rGMo6
The color simply wasn't there tonight and I apologize for lack of palm trees. I hosed with them in photoshop.

https://soundcloud.com/sunglasseskid/knockout-sunglasses-kid-feat-phaserland

I was led to believe that there were palm trees everywhere in Florida. I am enraged and disappointed.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

extreme_accordion posted:

When should I be on the lookout for it on Madison / Milwaukee roads? :D

On a trailer...sometime next week. Under it's own power...no idea!

extreme_accordion posted:

Sorry, if this is an old/out of date reply. Have a US market 86 MR2 that is fully caged and near race spec (showroom stock) with standard WI plates on it. We can get away with a ton of poo poo it seems.

Nope, definitely not out of date. Thanks. Can you get more detailed on the process? Did you title and register it at the same time? Sounds easier to get it registered if it's already titled, but I'm starting from scratch.

And when did you register/title it? I think some laws changed a bit recently.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Darchangel posted:

I am enraged and disappointed.

Welcome to Florida.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

ought ten posted:

Welcome to Florida.

Thanks. That made me actually laugh out loud.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Darchangel posted:

I was led to believe that there were palm trees everywhere in Florida. I am enraged and disappointed.

There's lots of palm trees, but there's also just as many oak trees making GBS threads leaves and pollen everywhere. Near beaches it's all mostly palms, then the further inland you get it's less and less palms with oak trees everywhere.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

Darchangel posted:

Yes.

You can see part of a palm on the right side of the bottom shot.

If you're further inland it's more oak and sand/slash pine.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Applebees Appetizer posted:

There's lots of palm trees, but there's also just as many oak trees making GBS threads leaves and pollen everywhere. Near beaches it's all mostly palms, then the further inland you get it's less and less palms with oak trees everywhere.

Wrar posted:

You can see part of a palm on the right side of the bottom shot.

If you're further inland it's more oak and sand/slash pine.

It's mostly a joke. I've been to Florida (Newport Richey) before. I survived.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Darchangel posted:

It's mostly a joke. I've been to Florida (Newport Richey) before. I survived.

New Port Richey? There's a Port Richey, too. You end up there and you may never come back. Damned to an eternity of driving around an '86 Hilux with a topper full of trash and a cab full of small, stinky dogs. Structural lottery tickets.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
This isn't mine but my good friend in town just got this and he isn't on the forums, Kaker will probably see this on IG but this 2 door 3.0 Prado is just absurdly clean, he just got it delivered today by my driver (we live in the same town and use the same driver/broker/etc...)

He has had new rear spare carrier and some rubber bits from megazip for months waiting on this to get here...it is pretty bad rear end

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

madeintaipei posted:

New Port Richey? There's a Port Richey, too. You end up there and you may never come back. Damned to an eternity of driving around an '86 Hilux with a topper full of trash and a cab full of small, stinky dogs. Structural lottery tickets.

Yeah, New Port Richey. Wife has family there - her uncle and his fam ended up there after the Navy cut him loose.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Hey, am I remembering correctly that if I import a car from Korea, it'll be a left-hand drive one? Are there any sites specializing in left-hand drive minitrucks? I was looking at this and experiencing profound TruckLust but I am not a skilled enough driver to gently caress around with a right-hand drive dealy.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Hot drat Dave that prado your buddy scored is mint.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

everdave posted:

This isn't mine but my good friend in town just got this and he isn't on the forums, Kaker will probably see this on IG but this 2 door 3.0 Prado is just absurdly clean, he just got it delivered today by my driver (we live in the same town and use the same driver/broker/etc...)

He has had new rear spare carrier and some rubber bits from megazip for months waiting on this to get here...it is pretty bad rear end

:hmmyes:

I too have a Land Cruiser to post tonight.

It's a 1993 Land Cruiser 70 soft-top. 3.5L non-turbo PZ 5cyl engine, all freshly done up. 5 speed, AC, fender mirrors, original OEM Toyota electric winch, fold down windshield. All vinyl interior including floor. New top, new tires, new wheels, new interior, new weather stripping, new trailer hitch, new whole bunch of stuff. 130,000 km, so around 81,000 miles. Found on a dealer lot, as the amount of soft top 70s that have made their way through the auction since 2017 that I've noticed with the shape they are in means I went looking at the dealer lots. Found this, and now it's ours. I don't have to do anything to this one when it gets here besides take the top off and grin like an idiot. It IS missing a 5 wheel which sucks. I might go ahead and source 5 Toyota original wheels and replace the ones on there.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
more like onee-chan service

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Kaker did you find that on a Japanese lot you mean?

And camper update: tried my luck at our two DMVs today but they both told me I gotta mail that poo poo in. They don't process imported vehicles in any DMV branches in Wisconsin.

I think my only hope for otherwise doing it in person is if the clerk is a huge dumb dumb but even then it might get into the system and get spit out regardless.

I had a good call with the DMV department that does do the processing. They make it sound like I should be okay and at the very least they don't flag me permanently if it gets kicked back. But their backlog is 8 goddamn weeks.

So...I either drive out to the other offices and see what happens or I risk burning 8 weeks.