Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
gently caress, here I am using a crowbar like a plebeian while you lot use these hosed-up medieval weapons on your walls. No wonder I hate demolition, I’m not making it badass enough!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Everyone should have a full set of polearms home demolition tools.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
]

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Rexxed posted:

Here's the crescent one:
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01M6VWWAW/
craftsman one that looks like most of the metal pieces are from the same factory:
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00X0IYM08/
I own this one by Stanley but maybe they're not making it any more, I don't know:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00009OYGZ/

Bought the craftsman one. Thanks!

Load bearing knowledge

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I really hope that those are printed and bound copies of the building code.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Only a true bibliophile would make sure they properly terminate each of their sentences with a punctuation mark.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Removing the "Not" book as a lifehack

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

moist turtleneck posted:

Removing the "Not" book as a lifehack

Move it six books up in the stack.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

If “Are Here” was two books, that would be good too.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

crazypeltast52 posted:

If “Are Here” was two books, that would be good too.

THESE
BOOKS
ARE
NOT
FOR AN
ESSENTIAL
STRUCTURAL
PURPOSE.
THEY
ARE HERE
FOR
SALE.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Feb 17, 2020

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
THIS
SHELF
IS NOT
A
PLACE
OF
HONOR.
NO
HIGHLY
ESTEEMED
BOOK
IS
SOLD
HERE.
NOTHING
VALUED
IS
HERE.
THE
DANGER
IS
STILL
PRESENT,
IN
YOUR
TIME,
AS IT
WAS IN
OURS.

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.

Guy Axlerod posted:

THIS
SHELF
IS NOT
A
PLACE
OF
HONOR.
NO
HIGHLY
ESTEEMED
BOOK
IS
SOLD
HERE.
NOTHING
VALUED
IS
HERE.
THE
DANGER
IS
STILL
PRESENT,
IN
YOUR
TIME,
AS IT
WAS IN
OURS.

:discourse:

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

oh poo poo :(

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I've seen children angrily dividing a room but this divorce is really taking this up a notch.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

At least they've got some roofers on hand, hey?

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

peanut posted:

oh poo poo :(

Why couldn't it have hit a gross McMansion roof mountain instead of a pretty old farmhouse :(

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

A house divided against itself cannot stand.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

At least I didn't try to cut down any trees myself honey.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I...I don't think that's what anyone meant when they said "split beam".

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Deploying superzoom.....

Why yes, they did put the outrigger on the load side into the grass with nothing under it to prevent it from trying to dig it's way to the water table.

This is the kind of thing a couple sheets of plywood could have prevented. But that would be like.....effort.

Better yet, park the truck the correct way (yes, that would involve more plywood or mats) so you aren't doing an extended lift ninety degrees off the side.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
What would be the correct way? (legit question) It seems like the boom should be coming off the back of the truck so that the cab etc could have more leverage as a counter weight?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
The boom goes in the same direction the weight does, since that's the direction the truck will be trying to tip in. But you need to distribute the downforce from the boom across a large surface area. If you just stick it on something soft like dirt or sand it'll push it aside and let the truck tip over.

By a similar token I think the correct truck orientation is to have the cab facing towards the direction the weight moves in, simply because the base of the crane attaches closer to the back of the truck than the front.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

wesleywillis posted:

What would be the correct way? (legit question) It seems like the boom should be coming off the back of the truck so that the cab etc could have more leverage as a counter weight?

The potential weight of the cab as counterweight is dwarfed by the use of the cab to shorten the fulcrum

Efb

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Well Beyel’s your problem.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Does that house have like a dozen chimneys?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

packetmantis posted:

Does that house have like a dozen chimneys?

Those are the packages of shingles they were using the crane to get up there.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I do have to wonder what the hell they were loading up that managed to tip the truck over. Or is the crane itself heavy enough to do this if the outriggers aren't set up properly?

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

quote:

Orlando police officers say no one was inside the home at the time, and no one from Beyel Brothers Crane and Rigging or workers from a roofing company were injured. The homeowner said they were just having their roof replaced when the accident happened.

Looks like it was just roofing materials or something related. This company apparently has had several (three?) instances of cranes tipping over. In this case it was due to the outrigger sinking in soft rain-soaked earth according to an investigator in a news story I found.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I do have to wonder what the hell they were loading up that managed to tip the truck over. Or is the crane itself heavy enough to do this if the outriggers aren't set up properly?

The crane itself is more than enough at that angle and extension.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Something beyond its limits. Or they were within the limits but the pavement/tiles/mud under the outriggers wasn't as solid as it looked like. Additionally you have to take wind into consideration, but it doesn't look like there's been a storm.

Motronic posted:

The crane itself is more than enough at that angle and extension.

It's kind of hard to tell either from the photo, though. The angle may have changed after it tilted, too.

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Feb 15, 2020

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

This fine example of woodworking came from a real estate ad. I hope it goes with the house.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I wonder if it was meant to be a bed and that's what caused the beam on the end there to split like it has.

Wiggity
Oct 22, 2016

Old school cool
Now with all of the millenial bullshit

I LOVE welding on things where chlorinated solvents are present - Phosgene ams your friend!
Children injured/maimed due to your own faulty woodworking and you can't sue anyone? Just sell your house! - Furniture included!!!

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

Motronic posted:

Those are the packages of shingles they were using the crane to get up there.

Theoretically I knew they must have to do this but I never thought about how, thanks!

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Wiggity posted:

Children injured/maimed due to your own faulty woodworking and you can't sue anyone? Just sell your house! - Furniture included!!!

That's a thing in Europe isn't it? Old houses will come with furniture because it's so old an heavy no one wants to move it. Imagine buying a French villa that claims to be furnished already, and it's just filled with the previous owner's pallet wood construction.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

packetmantis posted:

Theoretically I knew they must have to do this but I never thought about how, thanks!
Sometimes, when you're very lucky, you get to haul all the shingles up the ladder on your shoulder while trying not to fall to your death.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Slugworth posted:

Sometimes, when you're very lucky, you get to haul all the shingles up the ladder on your shoulder while trying not to fall to your death.

I'm luckier than I ever knew

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
When I was having shingles delivered, the guy set up a ladder and then rode the pallet of shingles up on the crane to get himself up to the roof. I don’t recall if he used the ladder to get back down or if it was just for plausible deniability if there was an accident

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Youth Decay posted:

This fine example of woodworking came from a real estate ad. I hope it goes with the house.

Feeling much, much better about the loft I built for my kid.