Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

May I recommend the bloody maneuver?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Asleep Style posted:

May I recommend the bloody maneuver?

excellent snype

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

barkbell posted:

friend said i nailed the interview, hopefully i get it.

how does one go about giving a two weeks notice the day after the mandated 90 days of employment to keep ones signing bonus?

as other said "with confidence"

but also if you're on the hook for anything (signing bonus, other bonus, tuition payments, w/e) because you're leaving for another place, ask the new place make up the difference. the phrase "keep me whole" is good.

"gosh i'd like to work w/ y'all, but if I leave here now i give up $15k and I just can't do that to my family, is there anything you can do?"

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Achmed Jones posted:

it's pretty simple, you just do the needful on your 91st day of employment

to be more precise, roughly 30 seconds after you walk in the front door

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

barkbell posted:

friend said i nailed the interview, hopefully i get it.

how does one go about giving a two weeks notice the day after the mandated 90 days of employment to keep ones signing bonus?

just walk up to the most important person in your office and give em the ol🖕🖕

Phraggah
Nov 11, 2011

A rocket fuel made of Doritos? Yeah, I could kind of see it.
Anyone have that formula on how to convert to hourly rate from salary? Can't find the page it was on.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
you can just double it and add a 'k' for w2 work

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
lol the attrition at this new place is absurd

five people have left voluntarily or otherwise since i started not even half a year ago, and it's a fairly small company

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

Sapozhnik posted:

five people have left voluntarily or otherwise since i started not even half a year ago, and it's a fairly small company

same! it would be cool if the free market worked and the remaining people got bonuses or promotions or anything but lol at the very idea

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Phraggah posted:

Anyone have that formula on how to convert to hourly rate from salary? Can't find the page it was on.

Salary / 1000 to make up for no paid vacation or other benefits

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
I'm being considered for a "tech lead" role and idk if I even want it since it sounds a bit like waking up early and going to meetings

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

the salary before the comma divided by two

if you make $100,000, take the 100 and divide by 2, it’s about $50/hr

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

That's the approximate dollar-for-dollar equivalent (less, since there are typically about 2080 work hours in a year), but if you're going from hourly to salaried you should ask for more since you probably won't get any sort of O/T.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Not a Children posted:

there are typically about 2080 work hours in a year

only if you never take a day off

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Munkeymon posted:

only if you never take a day off

ten words later, in that very same sentence

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

PCjr sidecar posted:

ten words later, in that very same sentence

O/T is overtime not vacation

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

just don't divide by two and you're in the right ballpark of what you should be asking.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
if they want a reason do i say they are paying me hella that you couldnt match or just avoid an exit interview at all costs

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

barkbell posted:

if they want a reason do i say they are paying me hella that you couldnt match or just avoid an exit interview at all costs

telling them they’re way underpaying may encourage them to start paying your now ex-coworkers what they deserve. it’s what happened after i left my old job and i told them in no uncertain terms that their career progression & pay sucked balls

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

unfortunately that means a lot of my ex coworkers who were on the fence on leaving fell into the ‘stay’ side of things and are still stuck there. whatcha gonna do?

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

After I left my last job, a reorg happened a few months later and then a whole bunch of people left after that. What little remained did get some promotions though but some seemed to just be title inflation as the titles didn't come with raises.

I told them they weren't paying enough in my exit interview. One of my friends there is still waiting for a raise he asked for shortly after I left. Probably didn't help that the hr people I did my exit with have also left.

Anyway, I have an out of the blue onsite coming up at a FAANG. I hope I can get more figgies.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

handed in notice, getting those figgies next month :toot:

now i feel really sad because i like most of my coworkers a whole bunch :smith:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Sapozhnik posted:

small business owner brain disease tends to make managers think the problem is that those hoes hires aren't loyal not that the job sucks balls so they typically think they should change hiring to emphasis "family feel"

they will also do nothing for the people who stick around, I mean they're already doing you a favor by employing you in the first place

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

jesus WEP posted:

handed in notice, getting those figgies next month :toot:

now i feel really sad because i like most of my coworkers a whole bunch :smith:
after you settle in at the new place, recruit the ones you liked (and who were good at their jobs) to come work with you for bigger figgies

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

yeah i probably will

i just got a real good board game group on the go at currentjob. gonna have to see if i can transition from the canteen to the pub and keep it going after i leave

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
this is only sort of interview related but my boss’s boss went on paternity leave a month and a half ago and i temporarily took over a thing he did. when he comes back he’s probably gonna want me to do it permanently and I’m trying to figure out the most diplomatic way to say “I would be happy to accept a promotion in exchange for this increased responsibility.” (our promotions automatically come with raises so I’m not worried about that part.)

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/iresimpsonsfans/status/1227983936632082432

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
not laughing

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

Corla Plankun fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Mar 5, 2020

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

stack paper, get figgies, be vary careful with counters

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

PCjr sidecar posted:

stack paper, get figgies, be vary careful with counters

This is good advice, counters can really poison the well if you accept them

Also don't give them an ultimatum, if the new job is better or pays more, take it and be happy!

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Poopernickel posted:

This is good advice, counters can really poison the well if you accept them

I thought not accepting counters was another "don't say a number" law.

You're now a flight risk and they'll dispose of you in their own time

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

unpacked robinhood posted:

this, as always, depends on your company, but holds more true the more corporate your organization

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Hmm. In the same email from a hiring manager giving me a take home I’ve found out:

1. the recruiter chopped up my resume, giving an inaccurate view of my capabilities (“my” resume was attached for some reason) with their garbage plastered all over
2. the take home is a bit different content wise than promised
3. the take home has different time constraints than promised (told Sat sun, instead I have from now until Sunday morning presumably so some poor slob reviews it on the weekend??)

so much for this job!

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

unpacked robinhood posted:

it is but it’s also in the same vein of ‘if you have to ask them don’t do it’

there are situations where you can take a counter but if you’re posting in this thread asking if it’s a good idea then the answer is no

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Captain Foo posted:

this, as always, depends on your company, but holds more true the more corporate your organization

I will say one of our compliance guys wanted to leave for more figgies, we even got so far as to be like a day from off boarding him and everything. That was a bit less than a year ago and he's still with us, I dunno if he took a counter offer, said he was just kidding, or what, but he hasn't been fired yet and his position internally doesn't seem to have been reduced or what have you. It's not like he'd be irreplaceable either given the skill set, experience, and his competency at it. So it could just be he won the lotto?

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Captain Foo posted:

eh; if you’re in an large organization with an entrenched HR where raises are nearly impossible to get but counters are the standard mechanism for raises, its less personal than power tripping small business fiefdoms with spiteful reflexes

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Sapozhnik posted:

are you me?

edit: latest person is leaving for fb and getting figgies i'm v happy for them

KidDynamite fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Feb 14, 2020

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

tf is this “oh we hate job titles everyone is just ‘developer’” bullshit that companies do. where did it come from

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

jesus WEP posted:

tf is this “oh we hate job titles everyone is just ‘developer’” bullshit that companies do. where did it come from

Not wanting to have structure pay grades?