Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

One on the left full on HR Gigan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
Gigan and Megalon, bros for life.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Splint Chesthair posted:

Players can buy maser cannons to steer Godzilla toward their opponents’ properties so they can buy them up cheap after they’re stomped flat.

In one corner sits a mediamagnate who keeps trying to buy Skull Island, in the other a property developer who is slowly losing his mind rolling the dice, hoping he can capitalize on his purchase of the theatre but terrified he's gonna get a jail card. Opposite them sit that weird couple who always insist on playing as a team during gamenight and keep complaining about minor sounds. They bought a themepark first. Finally, there's the old tycoon who seems to be on the level but has some strong ideas about his country and keeps gazing weirdly at the Godzilla figure.

Winner gets it all, before being clowned by Godzilla/Mothra/Kong/all of the above.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

A couple of years ago someone in the LP subforum posted a thread about a boardgame where one side controls a Godzilla style kaiju and the other military. The Godzilla player has to destroy the city while the military must drive him back to the ocean. The military player also gets scientists who can develop and deploy superweapons if they live long enough. Don't remember the name, unfortunately.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Now that I got the Alien RPG book, now I’m waiting for Godzilla to get one. Give stats for all the kaiju and military weapons, along with ways to make our own monsters.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

UmOk posted:

HR Gigan

:kiss:

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Man, Megaguirus has some jarringly weird special effects.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I hate that thing so much.

Gigan is supposed to be a fat cyber hell chicken. The whole GMK line-up is like high-budget 90s sentai bad guy style and just ugh.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
What's funny is that the suit is nowhere NEAR that lean and svelte

While he's a big less chubby than OG Gigan, the actual Final Wars Gigan suit is a lot chunkier than his merchandise tends to be. I guess they just want to ride his new aesthetic

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

As a semi-casual Godzilla/Kaiju fan can somebody answer me why these Kaiju toys are so gently caress-rear end expensive? I’m just trying to bless up my cubicle with a Hedorah, I don’t want to take out a loan to do it.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Kart Barfunkel posted:

As a semi-casual Godzilla/Kaiju fan can somebody answer me why these Kaiju toys are so gently caress-rear end expensive? I’m just trying to bless up my cubicle with a Hedorah, I don’t want to take out a loan to do it.

If you mean the Monsterarts line, it's because that's Bandai's line for adult collectors. They have excellent sculpts, paint and articulation. For comparison, Bandai's similar lines of humanoid figures, Figuarts and Ultra Act, start at around 50 bucks each and they're much smaller than a Monsterarts

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Age and rarity for the non Monster Arts/NECA figures. You're likely looking at the Movie Monster Series Hedorah, which was released in 2006 and not very widely at that.

You could get a Gigan that released last year for anywhere from 15 to 20 bucks, depending on what store you find it at and import costs, but Hedorah only ever had the one release so he's a lot rarer.

That's the one nice thing about these kind of figures- they do not depreciate in price if that matters to you. That's also the bad thing- if you don't get it while it's still fresh on the market, get hosed in the ear because you're screwed.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Burkion posted:

Age and rarity for the non Monster Arts/NECA figures. You're likely looking at the Movie Monster Series Hedorah, which was released in 2006 and not very widely at that.

You could get a Gigan that released last year for anywhere from 15 to 20 bucks, depending on what store you find it at and import costs, but Hedorah only ever had the one release so he's a lot rarer.

That's the one nice thing about these kind of figures- they do not depreciate in price if that matters to you. That's also the bad thing- if you don't get it while it's still fresh on the market, get hosed in the ear because you're screwed.

That’s helpful to know, thank you. I have the Bandai ‘68 Godzilla (07) and just picked up Mechagodzilla from 09. They do look great and I like the dichotomy of the two kaiju but I have the itch to expand. I’m glad to know it sounds like I can take my time. I’ll go Ghidorah hunting in the mean time.

E: Whatever monster, really. I think they’re cute and cool.

Kart Barfunkel fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Feb 14, 2020

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I watched Rebirth of Mothra 2. You guys were like, oh no, it's bad, you're gonna hate it! So naturally my instinctive contrarianness kicked in and I was all set to enjoy it. I went in fully planning to be the guy who actually liked Rebirth of Mothra 2. So it starts, and I'm like, oh poo poo that guy got his face melted off! Oh hey the fairies are back, and with new outfits! And then I don't have another positive thought about the movie until Mothra gets rainbow wings. I liked rainbow wing Mothra. But she only has those for like five seconds before transforming into a terrible plastic flying fish bug thing that sucks.

In fairness, I was also interested in the stakes when they were established. Dagahra is releasing toxic jellyfish that will destroy all the oceans. OK, I thought, let's see where this is going. But then it never actually comes up in the plot. Dagahra destroys a nuclear submarine, and it's never mentioned again! Because all the rest of the movie after that is just three kids running around in a Legends of the Hidden Temple rear end hidden temple. The kids were important in the first movie, but basically all they actually had to do was get the fairies and the amulet on an airplane so they could get back to Hokkaido before it was too late. And they had their mom with them. That is an acceptable task for kids. But in Rebirth of Mothra 2, they had to steal a boat, paddle across an increasingly toxic ocean full of monstrous jellyfish, raise a sunken temple, find a hidden gem, and use it to empower Mothra. That is not an acceptable task for three little kids when the worlds oceans are being destroyed! The fairies are being insanely irresponsible! They didn't even get the girl's mom to help! Or either of the teachers! I understand that they needed to move fast, but the movie had established responsible adult characters who should've been roped in to help! They even established a potential romance between the two teachers! That could've been a fun element to see play out as they wandered around that loving hidden temple!

Dagahra is, conceptually, neat. Fish dragon. Great. But in practice the suit is so thick and heavy around the shoulders the drat thing could barely move its arms. Like, when it first showed up and the wings were folded back, they're so crazy thick and big I thought, "OK, that doesn't look great. But clearly there's going to be a dramatic unfolding of the wings and they're gonna be huge and it's gonna be awesome". Yeah not so much. The wings unfolded are barely any bigger than the wings folded up! And then it starts to do a transformation and I'm like, "Ok, now it's gonna get awesome!" but it just grows two spikes. And another thing! So it's Dagahra, an evil dragon that is going to destroy the world! What's the first thing we see happen to it? It gets slapped around by a loving temple. It's the big bad giant monster of this giant monster movie, and literally the first thing we see is that it's weaker than a building.

movie sucks

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I waaaaaaarned yooooooou

I've seen ROM 2 about 7 times in my life and not a single time has it failed to disappoint me in some way

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Why did you watch Rebirth of Mothra 2 seven times?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Long and short of it- I watched it on my own back when it first aired in America on Sci-Fi. I saw the first one and went hey, that was pretty good for what it was!

And then I watched it a few years later thinking, well, there's no way it could have been as bad as I thought it was. Surely I must have been mistaken.

The rest of the times are because I have rear end in a top hat friends who needed to be shown something awful. It is a self inflicted Hell, I admit, but one I have found a home in.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
It’s also so drat ugly. The color timing is just horrific.

Shame it was Kawakita’s last bow.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Thinking about the 70s Showa era and the burst of creativity with new kaiju: Hedorah, Gigan, Megalon, King Cesar, Mechagodzilla, Titanosaurus. Really wish they had the Legendary treatment. So much potential to revamp them.

Especially since a few of them, the ones that did come back, looked like poo poo in GFW (Hedorah and Cesar looked WORSE than their Showa counterparts!)

Oh and since Rebirth of Mothra was brought up, I heard GFW Anguirus' costume was a recycled Dagahra suit! GFW was such a trainwreck, not trying to start something by saying it, but good god.

Mokelumne Trekka fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Feb 15, 2020

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
King Caesar deserves to look like poo poo because he’s a dumb monster to begin with. :colbert:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Kart Barfunkel posted:

it's the exact same dynamic as gallery art selling for millions of dollars, except scaled down in cost/relative scarcity to nerds with disposable income

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

Thinking about the 70s Showa era and the burst of creativity with new kaiju: Hedorah, Gigan, Megalon, King Cesar, Mechagodzilla, Titanosaurus. Really wish they had the Legendary treatment. So much potential to revamp them.

I dunno. They might get the Mothra treatment: look really cool, be in the movie for about a minute total and do nothing except die to make Godzilla stronger.

Why yes I think Mothra basically got fridged in King.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Cythereal posted:

I dunno. They might get the Mothra treatment: look really cool, be in the movie for about a minute total and do nothing except die to make Godzilla stronger.

Why yes I think Mothra basically got fridged in King.

Doesn't Mothra die a lot in general though?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Gripweed posted:

Doesn't Mothra die a lot in general though?

Mothra's a phoenix, so yes. Her birth -> bonk Ghidora once -> explode -> rebirth cycle is pretty normal.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Also didn't she get to clown on Rodan too? If anything he's king loser of jabroni mountain this time.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
It's a rare time when Mothra doesn't die, because Mothra will always be reborn through her children.

Either literally or spiritually.

So saying she got fridged isn't right at all. Never mind the fact that it doesn't serve to motivate Godzilla at all, he was gunning for Ghidorah from moment one, and the fact that she's explicitly alive at the end of the movie, it was also not done for cheap shock value or without her own agency involved. Mothra sacrificed herself to save Godzilla.

That is not fridging.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Rodan was absolutely the fridge (if we're talking about KotM, anyway)

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Mothra didn't have six fight sequences like Godzilla did, but what she did have was wonderfully staged and completed an emotional arc for both her relationship with Godzilla and humanity.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I'm trying to remember if the Japanese military has ever stopped a kaiju by themselves in any of the films; I think it happened at least once, but I don't remember which film it was

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Didn’t they freeze and kill Destroyah?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Didn’t they freeze and kill Destroyah?

They freeze Godzilla twice to prevent him from catastrophically melting down while Destroyah is defeated by Godzilla - Destroyah's juvenile forms were also vulnerable to attack before they merged into its Aggregate Form

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Vinylshadow posted:

I'm trying to remember if the Japanese military has ever stopped a kaiju by themselves in any of the films; I think it happened at least once, but I don't remember which film it was

The Return of Godzilla / Godzilla 1985.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

The military drives Anguirus away in vs Gigan.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Mantis42 posted:

The military drives Anguirus away in vs Gigan.

I'd argue that's just Anguirus going "Hm, nothing out of the ordinary here. Humans still being dicks." and going home

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:

Vinylshadow posted:

They freeze Godzilla twice to prevent him from catastrophically melting down while Destroyah is defeated by Godzilla - Destroyah's juvenile forms were also vulnerable to attack before they merged into its Aggregate Form

I thought the cold from the JSDF weapons and heat from Godzilla's spiral breath was what killed him.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

OptimusShr posted:

I thought the cold from the JSDF weapons and heat from Godzilla's spiral breath was what killed him.

Specifically it's generally agreed that the freezing weapons bring Destroyah down, and Godzilla's meltdown is what finishes them for good

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
the JSDF was definitely gonna kill Gaira but Sanda showed up to bail him out

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:

Burkion posted:

Specifically it's generally agreed that the freezing weapons bring Destroyah down, and Godzilla's meltdown is what finishes them for good

In that case I would give both credit for the kill.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Vinylshadow posted:

They "stopped" Godzilla in Shin Godzilla

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Arcsquad12 posted:

They "stopped" Godzilla in Shin Godzilla

That wasn't the military