Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

48 Hour Boner posted:

What's your take on the gunboat

or missile boat

The Gunboat makes sense in the fact you needed an equalizer in both games. In X-Wing it was needed to even the odds. I recall them being bullet sponges that were more annoying than useful as you had to take out wings of them doing bombing runs.
In TIE it certainly made up for sluggish missions stuck in a Bomber and the addition of shields and ions at least allowed for more flexible mission types. The ion cannons were useful for mob-management as you could tie up some mission triggers by disabling ships.

The Missile Gunboat did feel like a clunky way to spice things up late-game. Ironic as the in-game story had it developed to counter the Defender, by using the SLAM engine to keep up speed and dumping missiles into it while the tractor beam held it in place. The SLAM engine was definitely one way to beat the tedium of flying between mission points. It did get utterly bonkers with the fact you had an obscene load of missiles. But dog-fighting in that thing was tedious, A common multiplayer tactic was to charge a player and dumb fire everything. A skilled player could fire their lasers and shoot down everything, so you did become a glass cannon once that party trick was used up.

One thing people haven't mentioned is the games from TIE onwards had the use of beam weapons.
The game relied heavily on the use of power management to keep things like shields topped up. All craft would have an internal recharge speed and depleted lasers would be less effective. Increased recharge rates would slow the ship's engines down and spell doom in a dogfight. But power could be moved back into the engines for more speed. In some cases the systems were shared, such as the SLAM being powered by the missile boat's lasers. So it was all about adapting your ship to the situation. A common strategy would be to keep the lasers on a medium recharge and use that to top up the shields on the fly. Or put shields to engines to snap-turn in a dog fight.

So the beams. You had the tractor beam, that pretty much slowed craft down to allow you to keep on their six and sink them, and a jamming beam that shut off all of their guns, often used to sink capital ships.
Beams were another source of power, so this effectively was used to counteract engine loss with recharging, giving you quite an edge. In the Defender dumping everything into engines was hilarious. I once as a lark flew full speed through a container to see what would happen, obviously it destroyed the ship but for a moment I'd gotten through as the game caught up to what had happened and the ship started falling apart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cirus
Apr 5, 2011

BogDew posted:

The Gunboat makes sense in the fact you needed an equalizer in both games. In X-Wing it was needed to even the odds. I recall them being bullet sponges that were more annoying than useful as you had to take out wings of them doing bombing runs.
In TIE it certainly made up for sluggish missions stuck in a Bomber and the addition of shields and ions at least allowed for more flexible mission types. The ion cannons were useful for mob-management as you could tie up some mission triggers by disabling ships.

The Missile Gunboat did feel like a clunky way to spice things up late-game. Ironic as the in-game story had it developed to counter the Defender, by using the SLAM engine to keep up speed and dumping missiles into it while the tractor beam held it in place. The SLAM engine was definitely one way to beat the tedium of flying between mission points. It did get utterly bonkers with the fact you had an obscene load of missiles. But dog-fighting in that thing was tedious, A common multiplayer tactic was to charge a player and dumb fire everything. A skilled player could fire their lasers and shoot down everything, so you did become a glass cannon once that party trick was used up.

One thing people haven't mentioned is the games from TIE onwards had the use of beam weapons.
The game relied heavily on the use of power management to keep things like shields topped up. All craft would have an internal recharge speed and depleted lasers would be less effective. Increased recharge rates would slow the ship's engines down and spell doom in a dogfight. But power could be moved back into the engines for more speed. In some cases the systems were shared, such as the SLAM being powered by the missile boat's lasers. So it was all about adapting your ship to the situation. A common strategy would be to keep the lasers on a medium recharge and use that to top up the shields on the fly. Or put shields to engines to snap-turn in a dog fight.

So the beams. You had the tractor beam, that pretty much slowed craft down to allow you to keep on their six and sink them, and a jamming beam that shut off all of their guns, often used to sink capital ships.
Beams were another source of power, so this effectively was used to counteract engine loss with recharging, giving you quite an edge. In the Defender dumping everything into engines was hilarious. I once as a lark flew full speed through a container to see what would happen, obviously it destroyed the ship but for a moment I'd gotten through as the game caught up to what had happened and the ship started falling apart.

7 year old me always had everything recharging at full so I thought most of the ships sucked because they were so slow. Then I came back a few years later when I understood better and :eyepop:

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

mllaneza posted:

I just finished reading one of the new novels, Alphabet Squadron and this would make a fantastic DLC campaign. It's got a lot of starfighter action (Alphabet Squadron has one each A-, B-, U-, X-, and Y-wing) and I swear the author has played a LOT of the X-wing series because I visualize the action with the game UI overlaid.

Good book too, check it out.

And yet, no T, H, or K wing?

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
No one can handle the D-Wing :smuggo:

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

i'm sure the z-95 headhunter counts as a z-wing

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

HootTheOwl posted:

And yet, no T, H, or K wing?

Or E-Wing, which actually had a toy. :v:

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

AlternateNu posted:

Or E-Wing, which actually had a toy. :v:

Hot Take: E wings are rebel TIE Defenders.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

HootTheOwl posted:

Hot Take: E wings are rebel TIE Defenders.

false because e wings are ugly as poo poo

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Nebalebadingdong posted:

false because e wings are ugly as poo poo

If you take two wings off an X wing you get an E wing. If you take those wings and convert them to TIE solar arrays you get the third wing to slap onto an interceptor to make a defender.
Duh.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
if you take two wings off an x wing you get a z-95

i think that's even canon lol

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

Nebalebadingdong posted:

false true because e wings are also ugly as poo poo

fix'd

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Nebalebadingdong posted:

Nah because the Z95 wings are flat but the E wing is kinda curved so they have the positioning of a X wing.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
true. the z-95 looks and flies like a chubby kid falling down a hill

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Nebalebadingdong posted:

The Z-95 was the direct predecessor to the T-65 X-Wing, so yeah. It is like comparing the F-15 to the F/A-18.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

AlternateNu posted:

The Z-95 was the direct predecessor to the T-65 X-Wing, so yeah. It is like comparing the F-15 to the F/A-18.

Oh man did you have to just fling that can of worms around in here like that

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

AlternateNu posted:

And this, children, is what bait looks like. Now observe the nerds as they twitch angrily towards the reply button...

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
i don't get it.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Z95:X-Wing = F-5:F-15

TheLoquid
Nov 5, 2008
I generally agree with the anti-three panel position but the tie phantom looks neato

Flutieflakes017
Feb 16, 2012

only if you've been in the deepest valley can you ever know how magnificent it is to be on the highest mountain

alnilam posted:

U know the cool af launch sequence where there's a red siren light and the classic star wars siren sound and your ship launches

For like the 15 years I've been biking to get around, when it's winter and dark when I leave in the morning, and i turn on my red blinky light as i carry my bike out of a dark room and it's bright so the whole room strobes red, i have always thought of that cool TIE fighter launch sequence at those moments and I'll sometimes make the siren noise with my mouth as i prepare for launch

Oh god. Nerd like me. Driving and riding bikes always turns into flying spaceships.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

TheLoquid posted:

I generally agree with the anti-three panel position but the tie phantom looks neato

It looks cool because it's a mutant version of the best looking TIE, the Interceptor. Same goes for the Silencer.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
More tie avengers!

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Don Dongington posted:

Oh man did you have to just fling that can of worms around in here like that

Complications posted:

And this, children, is what bait looks like. Now observe the nerds as they twitch angrily towards the reply button...

I rarely stepped foot in a SW thread before FC was split off. So, feel free to ignore me.

I honestly didn’t know this would be A Thing. (I’m not surprised in the least, but I didn’t know.)

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

DurosKlav posted:

Indeed TF is the best SW game ever. The TIE Interceptor best ship.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
Did anyone else have the Prima guide to X-Wing that was basically an entire star wars story mixed in with step-by-step instructions to beat every level?

The story of what's-his-name was freakin awesome even if it included some dumb poo poo like an x-wing landing in a corvettes hangar. props to the pathos 10 year old me felt when his best friend dies via an imperial frigate ramming him coming out of hyperspace. and of course, the main character is a force user too.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

balance of power was super fun expansion for x-wing vs tie fighter that i think was meant to played co-op, it felt a lot more like tie fighter and it was great fun even tho it was basically just a single tie fighter campaign

it'll always bum me out that i couldn't beat the last mission solo, there was just too much to do in the time limit

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
TIE Fighter is a better game than X-Wing, but playing TIE Fighter and then years later getting to play the Battle of Yavin blew my mind.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It was weird that X-Wing Alliance modeled all the pilots floating around after ejecting from ships. You'd think that if they did that, they'd reference somewhere ships going through to pick up bodies and look for survivors.

Something about the story of X-Wing Alliance really struck a chord with me, just this spacenoid family scraping by, actually using these light freighters to haul freight, before sabotage and Imperials destroyed everything. Makes me think of cattle ranchers.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

SlothfulCobra posted:

It was weird that X-Wing Alliance modeled all the pilots floating around after ejecting from ships. You'd think that if they did that, they'd reference somewhere ships going through to pick up bodies and look for survivors.

Something about the story of X-Wing Alliance really struck a chord with me, just this spacenoid family scraping by, actually using these light freighters to haul freight, before sabotage and Imperials destroyed everything. Makes me think of cattle ranchers.

You can't even "dock" with the pilots because they're not considered stationary, unless you hit them with the ion cannon. After mopping up all the bad guys I'd love to give all my friends a ride home if I'm flying a "freighter" craft.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

SlothfulCobra posted:

They do this. In certain missions, I believe if a capital ship is present (or maybe it was just based on the mission/difficulty level), if you ejected, it showed you getting picked up and tossed in a bacta tank. Also, I could've sworn there was a command in Alliance that you could call for a SAR shuttle if one of your named wingmen was shot down. And if the shuttle made it to their position and back to the capital ship, you wouldn't lose their player profile.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

In TIE fighter what determined if you'd get captured, killed, or rescued? I'd always get rescued when I died.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Baronjutter posted:

In TIE fighter what determined if you'd get captured, killed, or rescued? I'd always get rescued when I died.

I think it was based mostly on the mission if I remember. Also maybe the manner in which you crashed

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Dr Christmas posted:

TIE Fighter is a better game than X-Wing, but playing TIE Fighter and then years later getting to play the Battle of Yavin blew my mind.

Is it x wing alliance where you get to do the battle of endor?

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

HootTheOwl posted:

Is it x wing alliance where you get to do the battle of endor?

Yes. X-Wing has Yavin divided into two missions. First you clear the surface defenses and four hangars, then there’s the trench run.

X-Wing Alliance has Endor divided into four missions. First fight the initial TIE Fighter attack. Then there’s an extremely short mission to cripple the Executor’s bridge. Then you fight off a bunch more fighters and a Star Destroyer before making it to a rally point. Last is the tunnel run, which has this sort of quiet but tense energy that versions of it in other video games didn’t have.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

alnilam posted:

U know the cool af launch sequence where there's a red siren light and the classic star wars siren sound and your ship launches

For like the 15 years I've been biking to get around, when it's winter and dark when I leave in the morning, and i turn on my red blinky light as i carry my bike out of a dark room and it's bright so the whole room strobes red, i have always thought of that cool TIE fighter launch sequence at those moments and I'll sometimes make the siren noise with my mouth as i prepare for launch

I have always and will always mentally complete the button in cars "rear def" to "rear deflector shields"

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

Baronjutter posted:

It's been awhile, so I could be wrong, - but I remember xwings version of this either had you in a bacta tank of you ejected /, or being interrogated by Vader.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Death happened if your ejector seat was damaged before you got shot down. I think capture happened on the pretty good chance you were close to enemy craft.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

SlothfulCobra posted:

My favorite parts of XWA were always the Azzameen family missions and it would always make me smile whenever a new one would crop up after you joined the Rebels. A whole game's worth of just those would have been pretty sweet.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

nine-gear crow posted:

My favorite parts of XWA were always the Azzameen family missions and it would always make me smile whenever a new one would crop up after you joined the Rebels. A whole game's worth of just those would have been pretty sweet.

I remember always being super surprised at the relatively poor reception of X-Wing alliance at the time.

The attention to detail and world building that came from following this family story through the galactic conflict was super rad, and I loved checking my emails cv between each flight.

I mean I get that the early missions were kind of slow, inspecting and freighting cargo and it does take an awful long time to get you into an X-Wing given its the games title... But the payoff was worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
The early mission where you had to carry a container that could die to splash damage from a concussion mission while fighting off TIEs was kind of bullshit.