Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Azathoth posted:

I at least appreciate the explanation they gave, and that they're using the money to pay their employees a living wage.

I just really wish that they hadn't picked the company with the worst possible app for podcasts. I mean, they apparently want to be serious about podcasts while their app literally doesn't have a way to notify users of new episodes. I get that it probably isn't a big deal for music, but that's like the only purpose of a podcast app.

Yeah, I don't begrudge them doing what they need to do, but agreed. I also get the vibe Spotify probably has more control over them than they're letting on; aside from killing the Patreon RSS feed, Ben mentioned in the last episode of ALTH that Spotify has sent over new people to work over at LPN, which reads to me as producers to oversee things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Lampsacus posted:

I can't believe the medium that consisted of single dudes breathing into mics in their bathrooms in 2005 has blown the frik up in this way. It's so surreal. Review us on podcast alley!
I have a feeling services like Luminary will be part of a bursted bubble and Google/youtube will scope up the remains.

That's why I--a person with a serious respiratory condition who insists on doing a podcast in my bedroom where half the time I'm trying to keep it down to not disturb--am still doing my thing, making sure the real stays in the art.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Shinji2015 posted:

Yeah, I don't begrudge them doing what they need to do, but agreed. I also get the vibe Spotify probably has more control over them than they're letting on; aside from killing the Patreon RSS feed, Ben mentioned in the last episode of ALTH that Spotify has sent over new people to work over at LPN, which reads to me as producers to oversee things.

I wonder how that would work for a company like Gimlet that also has a partnership with Spotify and has hired producers to help with their podcasts before the partnership. Does Spotify bring in their own producers to produce or for quality control? That would be odd.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

TV Zombie posted:

I wonder how that would work for a company like Gimlet that also has a partnership with Spotify and has hired producers to help with their podcasts before the partnership. Does Spotify bring in their own producers to produce or for quality control? That would be odd.

Almost certainly part of the contract they negotiated. Spotify probably would prefer to have their own producers, but Gimlet might be big enough to negotiate that out.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Spotify acquired the ringer mainly for their podcast network, reportedly for $250M. It’s gonna suck when all the ringer’s shows go Spotify exclusive, but I won’t leave overcast.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Azathoth posted:

I at least appreciate the explanation they gave, and that they're using the money to pay their employees a living wage.

I just really wish that they hadn't picked the company with the worst possible app for podcasts. I mean, they apparently want to be serious about podcasts while their app literally doesn't have a way to notify users of new episodes. I get that it probably isn't a big deal for music, but that's like the only purpose of a podcast app.

yea on one hand it blows, but on the other I kinda can't argue with 'we'd like to pay our people a living wage, we know this kinda sucks but hey, if a non sucky option that allows us to do that comes up we'll look at it'

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

sexpig by night posted:

yea on one hand it blows, but on the other I kinda can't argue with 'we'd like to pay our people a living wage, we know this kinda sucks but hey, if a non sucky option that allows us to do that comes up we'll look at it'

Yeah, I think I've said before, but eh oh well...it seems like they got into a really bad spot as podcast advertising changed underneath them. They couldn't find an ad network after theirs got bought out by ATT and were essentially presented with the option to either find an exclusive partner or drastically cut back what they're doing.

I'm very glad that, regardless of how lovely the Spotify app is for podcasts, they at least still kept everything free.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Azathoth posted:

Yeah, I think I've said before, but eh oh well...it seems like they got into a really bad spot as podcast advertising changed underneath them. They couldn't find an ad network after theirs got bought out by ATT and were essentially presented with the option to either find an exclusive partner or drastically cut back what they're doing.

I'm very glad that, regardless of how lovely the Spotify app is for podcasts, they at least still kept everything free.

yea as annoying as it is they deserve props for taking the least lovely options for the fans and their people, those dumb conspiracy and ghost loving boys are good eggs at least.

low quality jpeg
Mar 10, 2012

just popping in to ask if anyone has the "triumph at comic con" episode of Hollywood Handbook. can't find it

Eggplant Ronin
Apr 26, 2007

How you like my balls now?:smug:
Are there any podcasts that are just like anecdotes and horror stories about working on indie film sets? Something kinda like the book "The Disaster Artist", but in podcast form.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Eggplant Ronin posted:

Are there any podcasts that are just like anecdotes and horror stories about working on indie film sets? Something kinda like the book "The Disaster Artist", but in podcast form.

Some episodes of I Was There Too are sort of like that but typically not indie films. The paul scheer ep, about the movie Meet Dave comes to mind

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Eggplant Ronin posted:

I've heard Indie Film Hustle dropped by some of my indie film maker friends, but I haven't had a chance to listen myself. It's apparently pretty much a class on how to get a movie made and exhibited.

I have listened to a few episodes of I've Got A Movie To Make which is Anderson Cowan's (formerly of Loveline) podcast about the making of his own movie last year, and his development of his next movie. It's a bit more focused on his films than general film making, though.

Rick fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Feb 17, 2020

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Since there's no thread I'll ask here, I'm trying to remember which episodes of What A Time To Be Alive had a couple jokes in them. One was if Steve Brule was any kind of handicapped or just weird, and it ended with them arguing that Steve Brule could legally be executed. The other was about kingdom hearts being too serious and how funny it'd be for them to have Goofy try to stop 9/11.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Is there a podcast where someone or some people just kind o go over the lore of, say, a video game world, or a tabletop RPG kind of thing? Specifically, I'm at work and I want to learn more about the Dark Sun setting in Dungeons and Dragons. Rather than finding time to read up on all of it, I am hoping there's a good podcast where I can just be told all this stuff. But not just Dark Sun, but also, say, Norrath from Everquest, or the setting in Shadowrun, etc.

Maybe I'll just make one myself if it doesn't exist.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
Started listening to cautionary tales today (yes, because of 99% invisible).
And it really is a great podcast, hope he makes more.
If you like weird historic stories about weird individuals, this might be your thing.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

mrfart posted:

Started listening to cautionary tales today (yes, because of 99% invisible).
And it really is a great podcast, hope he makes more.
If you like weird historic stories about weird individuals, this might be your thing.

I like it too, but do you ever feel like its adherence to the podcast formula is a little on-the-nose sometimes?

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Imagined posted:

I like it too, but do you ever feel like its adherence to the podcast formula is a little on-the-nose sometimes?

Do you mean that it’s overproduced?

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
Also, if anyone needs another true crime podcast (can you imagine).
Check out 'the nobody zone'.
It's only the first episode, but it feels like it might be a very good one.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

spotify as a podcast app sucks. no notifications, "last played" only shows the podcast itself, not the individual episode, and you can't tell which episodes you've listened to and which not.

e: but at least it remembers the position if you decide to quit before it ends. so yay.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Does Spotify let you download episodes, or is is streaming only? I use podcasts mostly in places where I don't get WiFi so streaming is right out.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
Yes you can download episodes or playlists with podcasts in them.
I don't use spotify for podcasts, though. There's a lot of stuff I don't like about spotify, and it kinda boggles my mind it's so bad on a technical level and limited on a UI level.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

And why does the mobile client have so much limited functionality compared to the Windows client? There's nothing I do on one that I shouldn't be able to do with the other.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

credburn posted:

And why does the mobile client have so much limited functionality compared to the Windows client? There's nothing I do on one that I shouldn't be able to do with the other.

Seems like that would cost money to develop, and what're you gonna do, not move all your podcasts over to them just because they lack basic functionality every app has had for years? Yeah, right!

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

credburn posted:

wait until you learn how spotify treats free-tier users on mobile

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I host a podcast on Soundcloud but want the website features Squarespace adds. I have about 40 episodes. I am worried that if I upload my back catalog, then do a 301 redirect, the podcast GUIDs will not match and all my subscribers will redownload all my back episodes. I've talked to squarespace with a ticket and they've said there's no built in RSS GUID mirroring or anything.

I can't be the only person who's moved their podcast to Squarespace. Googling is almost impossible because every search thinks I mean GUIDE not GUID which gives me all the helpful guides about podcasting none of which address my concern.

Am I just hosed? Am I just not understanding how the system works?

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Anyone know what’s up with the BBC World this Week podcast? Hasn’t had an update in two weeks. I’ve been listening to it for years so it’s a little weird it’s just dropped off.

Still up on the website but no updates since the 7th.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
Weird. I had a quick look on their twitter for you but didn't see any updates about it.
I'm guessing they're overwhelmed by news of the virus and they do have a podcast about that.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

is there anything in the same vein as Thrilling Adventure Hour (witty dialogue, charming characters/actors (looking at Beyond Belief & Sparks Nevada specifically), I could use a laugh in these fun times.

double nine fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Mar 22, 2020

Barristicide
Sep 2, 2012

double nine posted:

is there anything in the same vein as Thrilling Adventure Hour (witty dialogue, charming characters/actors (looking at Beyond Belief & Sparks Nevada specifically), I could use a laugh in these fun times.

I enjoyed Red Panda Adventures by Decoder Ring Theatre. It follows Canada's greatest crime fighter in the 30s. Could be worth a try?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Is there a general paranormal podcasts thread? I’ve started listening to both Lore and Unexplained (basically the same thing produced on different sides of the Atlantic), and would like more recs.

I had been pointed at Last Podcast on the Left, but I don’t want to get involved with Spotify just for one podcast.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

The_Doctor posted:

Is there a general paranormal podcasts thread? I’ve started listening to both Lore and Unexplained (basically the same thing produced on different sides of the Atlantic), and would like more recs.

I had been pointed at Last Podcast on the Left, but I don’t want to get involved with Spotify just for one podcast.

Astonishing Legends?

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

The Cryptonauts Podcast might be up your alley for some paranormal things.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

If Astonishing Legends and Cryptonaut work for you, definitely check out Not Alone, Our Strange Skies, Euphomet, What If?, and Nighttime next.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Comedy option: The Boogie Monster with Kyle Kinane and Dave Stone

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Thanks people! Astonishing Legends is good, but Cryptonauts only lasted 10-15 mins before they annoyed me too much.

Dolophiend
Jul 4, 2014
I really enjoy The Loudest Podcast with Aterios Kokkinos, the guy who Maddox sued and a show called Thought Co ps where t hey hate on internet fads. Anyone familiar with these and have and know of more comedi c podcasts I can listen to at work?I

I also like Deep Fat Fried which is great if you enjoy loud mouthed neckbeard atheists commenting on the news and random topics. I know I do.

Dolophiend fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Mar 30, 2020

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

What is an "actual play" podcast? I mean, I know what it is; it's where some folks sit around and play D&D or whatever. But what's the difference between an "actual play" podcast where they do it and just a podcast where they play D&D? I guess what I'm wondering is, what's the "actual" part referring to? Were there at some point a glut of fraudulent false-play podcasts?

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

credburn posted:

What is an "actual play" podcast? I mean, I know what it is; it's where some folks sit around and play D&D or whatever. But what's the difference between an "actual play" podcast where they do it and just a podcast where they play D&D? I guess what I'm wondering is, what's the "actual" part referring to? Were there at some point a glut of fraudulent false-play podcasts?

It's mainly just an easy differentiator between "This is an RPG podcast, where we talk about RPG systems." and "This is an RPG podcast, where we play RPGs." I used to see it mainly being used by people who ran both type of podcast, as separate shows or just tagging individual episodes as Actual Play in the title, but it does seem a lot more widespread nowadays.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Yeah discussion of tabletop RPGs vs playing a tabletop RPG, I guess. Not sure why the specific term 'actual play' caught on though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Someone probably said 'okay but do they just talk about D&D or do they actually play?' and everyone else shrugged.