Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the #1 Overall Pick
This poll is closed.
Anthony Edwards 17 26.98%
Cole Anthony 3 4.76%
James Wiseman 12 19.05%
LaMelo Ball 19 30.16%
Other 12 19.05%
Total: 63 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

MourningView posted:

I had him like six spots higher at first but he got hurt and kinda tailed off, and it's a little concerning that they didn't let him play point guard at all.

I base my stanning on him looking like he belonged on the court in a nba preseason game. Idk if this will translate to anything but it gives me more confidence than a lot of other guys in the draft

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

my top 5 right now is okoro/okongwu/anthony/hayes/halliburton in that order

it’s not an amazing draft tbh

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Rooting for Obi Toppin for Number One pick based on name power alone.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Probably Magic posted:

Rooting for Obi Toppin for Number One pick based on name power alone.

if it was just based on performance and he was two years younger he’d probably be the #1

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Vecine posted his new Mock Draft. I'm not copying it cause its long, go find it here https://theathletic.com/1603325/2020/02/13/vecenie-2020-nba-mock-draft-version-3-0-post-trade-deadline-edition/

Lotto Picks

Cavs - Anthony Edwards
Warriors - Wiseman
Knicks - Ball
Hawks - Deni Avdija !!!!
TWolves - Tyrese Maxey !!
Hornets - Cole Anthony
Pistons - Killian Hayes
Bulls - Isaac Okoro
Wizards - Onyeka Okongwu
Suns - Tyrese Haliburton
Kings - Obi Toppin
Spurs - Isaiah Stewart
Pelicans - R.J. Hampton
Blazers - Theo Maledon

Hawks taking Avdija at 4 is prob the thing that sticks out the most, as does Anthony falling to 6. Maybe Haliburton will be the guy that can play with Booker, I dunno

creamcorn
Oct 26, 2007

automatic gun for fast, continuous firing
has there ever been a draft class this unanimously hated that actually turned out to be full of good players/sleepers? i remember really bad ones that everyone agreed were really bad ones (anthony bennett year), and good ones that turned into garbage, but can't think of any nice surprises off the top of my head.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

creamcorn posted:

has there ever been a draft class this unanimously hated that actually turned out to be full of good players/sleepers? i remember really bad ones that everyone agreed were really bad ones (anthony bennett year), and good ones that turned into garbage, but can't think of any nice surprises off the top of my head.

Anthony Bennett year turned out to be really good, everyone was just badly wrong about the draft order. Giannis and Gobert are all timers, CJ, Kiwi, Schröder, Porter, Oladipo are strong players who will have lengthy careers and have made or flirted with All Star bids, Olynyk and Zeller are high end role players.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

creamcorn posted:

DeimosRising posted:

Anthony Bennett year turned out to be really good, everyone was just badly wrong about the draft order. Giannis and Gobert are all timers, CJ, Kiwi, Schröder, Porter, Oladipo are strong players who will have lengthy careers and have made or flirted with All Star bids, Olynyk and Zeller are high end role players.

And last year lots of people were pretty down about the draft after Zion, but it so far its looked pretty good. There'll be some decent picks hidden in there.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I lost so much that I don't know if I can actually do it this year but at least the very little player watching, it doesn't feel like a draft full of guys who aren't going to be able to make NBA teams which is sometimes the vibe I get from some people's worries on the draft. The fact that most of the 19 class has had a more normal developmental cycle than the 2018 draft where so many players were ready to play right away makes me think that there will be minutes for this year's class to compete for.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Vecine posted his new Mock Draft. I'm not copying it cause its long, go find it here https://theathletic.com/1603325/2020/02/13/vecenie-2020-nba-mock-draft-version-3-0-post-trade-deadline-edition/

Lotto Picks

Cavs - Anthony Edwards
Warriors - Wiseman
Knicks - Ball
Hawks - Deni Avdija !!!!
Hornets - Cole Anthony
Pistons - Killian Hayes
Bulls - Isaac Okoro
Wizards - Onyeka Okongwu
Suns - Tyrese Haliburton
Kings - Obi Toppin
Spurs - Isaiah Stewart
Pelicans - R.J. Hampton
Blazers - Theo Maledon

Hawks taking Avdija at 4 is prob the thing that sticks out the most, as does Anthony falling to 6. Maybe Haliburton will be the guy that can play with Booker, I dunno

Anthony falling would not be that weird and me having him as high as I do is probably the thing I feel least confident in.

My hang up with Avdija is that his shot has looked broken when I've watched him but he's supposedly been on fire for the last few weeks so I probably need to watch him more. The DX guys are typically good with Euros and Mike Schmitz loves him too.

Maxey going high wouldn't be that weird, there are a lot of smart people who are really high on him. He's not shooting well this year and is pretty small for an off guard but he has a good rep as a shooter and plays really good defense.

Sam's Isaiah Stewart love is insane, he's a center who gets all his points on post ups and isn't a good athlete. He's a good college player but he should be a late first rounder at the absolute most. I know he talks to NBA people and that influences his rankings and obviously his mock but I do not get it at all.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Rick posted:

I lost so much that I don't know if I can actually do it this year but at least the very little player watching, it doesn't feel like a draft full of guys who aren't going to be able to make NBA teams which is sometimes the vibe I get from some people's worries on the draft. The fact that most of the 19 class has had a more normal developmental cycle than the 2018 draft where so many players were ready to play right away makes me think that there will be minutes for this year's class to compete for.

Like I said I think this is actually a pretty decent draft if you already have a good team and just need to fill in around the margins with 3 and D wings or backup guards/bigs. It's just a possibly historically bad one if you're picking in the lottery and looking for a franchise guy.

Lockback posted:

And last year lots of people were pretty down about the draft after Zion, but it so far its looked pretty good. There'll be some decent picks hidden in there.

People mostly just didn't think there was another star beyond him and maybe Ja. Ja has exceeded expectations a bit for sure and looks like a much more likely all star but otherwise that's probably true. Beyond those two, Clarke, and PJ, I don't think it's been anything all that special. Like you could argue the fourth or fifth best guy is Terrance Davis who wasn't drafted.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Feb 15, 2020

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Lotto Picks

Cavs - Anthony Edwards
Warriors - Wiseman
Knicks - Ball
Hawks - Deni Avdija !!!!
Hornets - Cole Anthony
Pistons - Killian Hayes
Bulls - Isaac Okoro
Wizards - Onyeka Okongwu
Suns - Tyrese Haliburton
Kings - Obi Toppin
Spurs - Isaiah Stewart
Pelicans - R.J. Hampton
Blazers - Theo Maledon

I think it would be cruel both to the Knicks and to LaMelo if he goes there. Just can't see that working out well

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Makur Maker

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

d’yer makur

The Glumslinger posted:

I think it would be cruel both to the Knicks and to LaMelo if he goes there. Just can't see that working out well

lamelo would presumably be operating at pg and woof those are gonna be some terrible shot choices from that backcourt

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I don't understand peoples love of Lamelo at all and would be really disappointed if they grabbed another iffy shooter at the guard position. Killian Hayes does everything he does but better... except for maybe the handles.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Doltos posted:

I don't understand peoples love of Lamelo at all and would be really disappointed if they grabbed another iffy shooter at the guard position. Killian Hayes does everything he does but better... except for maybe the handles.

He's a 6'7" dude who is still growing and can handle a basketball. That's pretty much it, his ceiling is just about as high as anyones in the draft class on both offense and defense.

That said his floor is low, but I still think its higher than a lot of other prospects. I just have a hard time thinking that a dude with his size and handle has no place in the NBA

Paul Zuvella fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Feb 19, 2020

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Okongwu should be going #1 based on performance

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
lamelo was already on proper steroids, so he's not going to have the same problem his brother had with getting shoved around when he comes into the league. Past that, I don't know. He looks the part and then he just misses a shot that looks ridiculous and this happens over and over.

I don't know what they're looking at his downside as, maybe Michael Carter-Williams but beefy and can play off ball if he is not good enough to play one?

I've heard that the biggest knock on him is that is brother is orientalist

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Feb 19, 2020

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
LeMelo is the best passer and ballhandler in the class at 6'7" with great length, that's pretty much the appeal. You have to trust he's going to figure the shot out and get stronger but he showed flashes of the first part at lower levels.

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

I'd hang myself if I was a front office guy seriously considering a player who projects as 'Justise Winslow but without the defence' in the high lottery

EDIT: same goes for 'athletic wing who sucks' and 'a center'

Katana_Warrior fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Feb 19, 2020

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
There is a giant gap between he and Winslow as passers/ball handlers, especially at this point in their lives, but also it's relative and Winslow would probably have gone like top 3 in this draft

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

straight up brolic posted:

Okongwu should be going #1 based on performance

if he was two inches taller no one would even entertain the idea of taking wiseman over him

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I lean Hayes slighty because he fills a more valuable role and has been pretty good in a professional league at a young age but Okongwu is definitely the best college player this year and I could see him being a Bam Adebayo type NBA player

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

it just goes back to the brandon clarke thing where he's really loving good at all elements of his position and is way more likely to figure it out than someone like Edwards, who's not really good at anything except looking right for his position. also he has a 7ft+ wingspan so who cares about height as long as he's not 6'5

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

for me, okoro is the top wing, hayes is the top guard, and okongwu is the top center, and which one you go for depends on your team need

i had cole anthony above killian hayes for a while but hayes just looks better when i watch the two of them back to back, which isn’t the best way to decide who to draft, but in a doo doo draft like this one is sometimes the only way to break a tie

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
My god if Okoro falls to the Bulls.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

https://twitter.com/maxacarlin/status/1231362532713037824?s=20

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

he looks weirdly hesitant here like he can’t decide if he wants to pull up or keep taking it to the rack and then he just dunks over a guy with way less acceleration than i’ve seen someone his size need

shame he just isn’t very good this season, he has rare talent

Hopkins FBI
Jan 4, 2015

MY SACRED POSTING VOW IS NOTHING, FOR WHILE I STAKED MY HONOR UPON MY COMMITMENT TO NEVER SUPPORT JOSEPH R. B. JUNIOR I HAVE SCANDALOUSLY ABANDONED MY PRINCIPLES
I want to see Makur Maker on the same team with Bol Bol.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
I had a bizarre pain dream tht Anthony Edwards was playing for the Pistons and they were wearing the horsehead jerseys he'd chosen number 7. He wore his hair very tight, and I believe after he made a shot he high fived Cassius Winston, who was wearing number 99. I've never had a dream about basketball that didn't involve me playing in 10th grade before. Is this a prophecy?

Nico mannion, he doesn't seem too bad

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Dejan Bimble posted:

I had a bizarre pain dream tht Anthony Edwards was playing for the Pistons and they were wearing the horsehead jerseys he'd chosen number 7. He wore his hair very tight, and I believe after he made a shot he high fived Cassius Winston, who was wearing number 99. I've never had a dream about basketball that didn't involve me playing in 10th grade before. Is this a prophecy?

Nico mannion, he doesn't seem too bad

I like Nico but he is offensively very inconsistent, and Arizona's definitely lost to some bad teams because he's had the ball in his hand a lot but done nothing with it. Although I guess there isn't any prospect this season you can't put that tag on.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Nico is not as good as I thought he was going to be but the overall skill level is still high enough I feel decent about him in the late lottery. He's like budget Trae kinda

creamcorn
Oct 26, 2007

automatic gun for fast, continuous firing

MourningView posted:

Nico is not as good as I thought he was going to be but the overall skill level is still high enough I feel decent about him in the late lottery. He's like budget Trae kinda

the terrible hair tools definitely match

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Dejan Bimble posted:

I hope so because the horsehead jerseys were bitchin'.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/aaron-nesmith-1.html
I don't know how hard you have to adjust Aaron Nesmith (secretly naismith related??)'s stats for the competition but they're great

Is he being projected 19-25 range because he's too skinny? I still haven't watched much more than highlights

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tX6X0TabK9M

He reminds me a little bit of Terrance Ferguson, or Terrence, the OKC one

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Mar 2, 2020

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
He doesn't really do anything but shoot and he got hurt relatively early in the season so his truly ludicrous percentages this year were on a pretty small sample. Think he's definitely a first rounder, just like in the 15-20 range

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

Obi Toppin is good folks https://twitter.com/AllaireMatt/status/1236466937439195138

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

big shout out to obi toppin as this year’s brandon clarke memorial award winner for “dude who’s going to drop ten spots too far because he isn’t 19 years old”

he’s gonna be an outstanding small ball 5 imo even if he’s gonna get destroyed anytime he tries to defend someone out on the perimeter

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Toppin is pretty much universially projected in the back half of the lottery from what I've seen, which is about right.

In addition to being old he's really lovely on defense at the spot where it is most harmful to be lovely on defense, but he's pretty plug and play on offense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

MourningView posted:

So I have had a lot of time on my hands to tinker with my board and I changed my mind on this (and a bunch of other stuff) a lot! I just don't think he's enough of an outlier shooter to make it as a starter. I am pretty bored atm so I'll probably mess with it a lot between now and whenever the draft happens, and obviously a lot of these guys won't be in the draft

1) Killian Hayes
2) Onyeka Okongwu

3) LaMelo Ball
4) Cole Anthony
5) Devin Vassell
6) Tyrese Haliburton
7) Anthony Edwards
8) Deni Avidija
9) Tyrese Maxey
10) Issac Okoro
11) Obi Toppin

12) Kira Lewis