Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
I like my Tracker 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb

Eejit posted:

Does anyone have recommendations for beacon, shovel, and probe? I don't need super crazy stuff, just lightweight and reliable. I don't really have any inclination to ride in dangerous terrain or conditions, but I do gotta have the stuff just in case.

tracker 3 or barryvox S

any probe is fine but get a 320, the carbon mammut and BD ones are nice

I like the mammut allugator shovels a lot

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Tracker 2 or 3
BD quick draw probe (320 as was mentioned)
BCA makes good shovels. Do not under any circumstances get a plastic shovel.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Tracker 3 or 3s for the price. Any aluminum 300cm or more probe. Any aluminum shovel, a bigger blade is arguably better.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Another great day on my own 2 legs.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

This is what it is all about.

https://youtu.be/skumC1a_j8Q

Macnult
Jul 7, 2013

that’s just.. incredible

i need to get out west

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Macnult posted:

that’s just.. incredible

i need to get out west

Canada truly is a promise land.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

spwrozek posted:

This is what it is all about.

https://youtu.be/skumC1a_j8Q

Living the dream

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Turns out that was a giant carnivorous plant and seconds after the picture was taken he was never seen from again.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

spwrozek posted:

Canada truly is a promise land.

86 Trump sub health care and 3 foot powder days

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Bluebird here in Grimentz

I got one of the Arva shovels, used it a bit (not for rescue or anything) and it feels like it will actually work if I have to use it for real. Incredibly lightweight.

https://skimo.co/arva-ultra-shovel

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

mods please change my username to skiimo

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Hope everyone is ready for the Presidents Day Weekend poo poo show. I feel like I should be working extra hard in my BJJ class in preparation for this weekend in Jersey.

Macnult
Jul 7, 2013

Yuns posted:

Hope everyone is ready for the Presidents Day Weekend poo poo show. I feel like I should be working extra hard in my BJJ class in preparation for this weekend in Jersey.

Rental Hell is very much Rental Hell right now, even for a ski shop in Maryland.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

I tried skiing at Mt Bohemia on MLK weekend on a well-forecast 16" powder day and the experience and mood at the place was so awful we left after two incredible runs.

Nobody had thought to set up some merge fencing for the lift lines so both lifts had one long single-file line (of two abreast) and you had to take your poo poo off and hike uphill for ten minutes if you weren't skiing the right run.

The triple-lift-they-can-only-load-as-a-double is through the gap in the trees there. Also all the people with the "Fast Pass" had to cross this line to get into their private lane and they were just blowing through, skiing right over other people's skis without slowing down. It's a fantastic skier's mountain with great snow, but the continued mismanagement and adversarial powder-bro mindset of the clientele has made it a real mixed bag.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
I'm pretty sure I'm going to do the ski from lift open at 8 am until it becomes an intolerable circus (probably 10 or 11 am) thing. Our lift line control is a disaster. We got RFID cards but the gates weren't working well so they pulled the gates and now have to hand scan everyone.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
It’s only Friday and our chair that never has longer than a two minute line was already a five minute wait today so tomorrow should be awful

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

I do all my skiing in February or later here in California to avoid the crowds and it's looking like this strategy might also result in avoiding snow altogether this year. Goddamn this forecast is bleak.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

We skied (well, VA skiing) today to avoid the weekend and it was fine, minus full blast snowmaking to get ready for the weekend. Green lifts were trash but who cares, they always are.

Also while waiting for my partner to meet me at the top of a lift I watched a dipshit in a Trump hoodie do a full face plant down the offload ramp, then get skied into/over by their chair mate, so the day was a complete success no matter what.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
Went to Park City yesterday ($192!) and Solitude today. Neither place had lines of more than 2 minutes and most lifts were pretty much ski-on. I was a little bummed that there hasn't been much new snow in the last couple weeks but these horror stories have changed my mind. What snow there is here is firm but not rock hard, groomers are super fast.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

8 hours, 9 miles, 5600' up, 8600' down

https://youtu.be/TsCRyqMrixA

The creek out was fun...

Definitely not a running creek/waterfall situation...

https://youtu.be/kuN-4u4qVWE

I lived

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Just arrived at Salt lake airport, ready for crazy lift lines All weekend :buddy:

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

The Glumslinger posted:

Just arrived at Salt lake airport, ready for crazy lift lines All weekend :buddy:

Just make the most of it man and have fun. skiing is still better than a lot of other stuff, even if you have to wait in line.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans

The Glumslinger posted:

Today was not bad at all, I kind of think its not going to be too bad tomorrow. Its a blackout weekend for all the season pass holders and unless people booked their plans way out they're probably not going to bother with the lack of new snow. Both resorts I've been to had all lifts running and all terrain open, if there was a line at all somewhere it was easy to find a part of the mountain with none. I haven't seen any major hiccups in service anywhere. Even the actual car traffic coming up and down from the resorts hasn't been bad. Hopefully I don't have to eat my words but I think you're going to have a good time.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
Oh trust me, I've been here over President's weekend before and I know how it can get. We're pretty good at finding the less crowded parts of the Canyons side of Park City

Though I am still expecting a half-hour lift line onto the gondola

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I feel like Colorado ski country air traffic is down this year, but I don't have any hard numbers on that.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

“Nobody goes there anymore. It’s too crowded.”

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies
Cold temps and no fresh snow are definitely putting a damper on crowds today in VT, though tomorrow I think is the predicted bigger day for crowds.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

12 degree morning and nothing but man made snow made for super small crowds. I had assumed everyone went up to VT for the weekend but Master_Odin's post makes me wonder where they went. I slammed the back of my head on hardpack on my first run when I tried to ride over a shotput sized ball of ice. But I still got in a lot of runs until I slammed myself a second time in the afternoon and called it a day.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Just so there's a bit of cross country content now and then:

Got about three and half hours of classic xc skiing in today, having mostly skated for three years. Got some pretty good Fischer skis on sale last season, only tried them properly today, practicing classic technique. Such a great feeling to have both good kick and good glide. Diagonal stride is the most intuitive of xc techniques, put one leg in front of the other. It's perhaps the easiest to half-rear end, but it's the hardest to nail. Maybe I did somewhere around five thousand kicks today, fewer than 50 were really good.

Soo...try cross country skiing everybody. It's physically hard, but at least it's technically difficult.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

If I had just a bit more budget, I would probably get some just for winter cardio. Hoping next year

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Eejit posted:

If I had just a bit more budget, I would probably get some just for winter cardio. Hoping next year

But...you have AT gear now....

E: Another killer day in BC. Kind of just storm riding in the trees so no real footage. We have to go pick up the sled we left yesterday and used this as a "rest" day (so only 3800' of vert).

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
It was pretty great out today, other than a half hour to get up the gondola, I never waited more than 2 minutes for a lift. I'm used to way worse at Park City over President's weekend.

Also, went up Super Condor for the first time, no clue why I'd never done that before, some great terrain off of it.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Nose butter 360 fail. Needed steeper terrain.

https://youtu.be/33dcjaVP02A

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

I'm at copper all this week, Monday to Friday. If a goon wanna get at me, please, just post and lemme know. I got dms too

Lodge right in the mountain, ridiculous

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

KoRMaK posted:

I'm at copper all this week, Monday to Friday. If a goon wanna get at me, please, just post and lemme know. I got dms too

Wish I was there, sounds good!

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

KoRMaK posted:

If I make it out I'll hit you up. I have to deal with a speeding ticket and my car will be in the shop getting the rear bumper replaced this week so I'm not sure if I do. It partially depends on what I get as a rental. I guess almost anything would be technically better than my car in snow, but it does more than fine with good winter tires.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

spwrozek posted:

But...you have AT gear now....

E: Another killer day in BC. Kind of just storm riding in the trees so no real footage. We have to go pick up the sled we left yesterday and used this as a "rest" day (so only 3800' of vert).

Yeah but the resort is a whole 20 minutes away and the bike path is like, 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Ugh, a guy died at Vail by falling off the chair, getting suspended by his jacket and choking to death.