Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I’m just happy there wasn’t many injuries

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
The end to Roosters vs Saints womens game was hilarious.

Dont knee in the back kids.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Adam is a wonderful example of how a player should go about his business in the NRL

bowmore posted:

I’m just happy there wasn’t many injuries

That's all I want out of this stupid tournament. Nobody gives a gently caress about who wins the nines. I just don't want any of my guys to miss real game time because of this.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

Jono C posted:

That's all I want out of this stupid tournament. Nobody gives a gently caress about who wins the nines. I just don't want any of my guys to miss real game time because of this.

The fact that we didn't send RTS or Tohu Harris actually improves my confidence in the club despite the poor performance.

edit: must admit it's fun to see Jason Nightingale's hilariously-awkward-but-effective heroics one more time.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

I'm not sure if the Titans possibly winning this isn't the funniest thing ever, especially if they repeat the spoon from last year

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!

iajanus posted:

I'm not sure if the Titans possibly winning this isn't the funniest thing ever, especially if they repeat the spoon from last year

Well you'd be gold with the missus for a bit.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

MiniSune posted:

Well you'd be gold with the missus for a bit.

Yeah it's pretty good so far, will report back if things have changed in about 8 minutes time

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!

iajanus posted:

Yeah it's pretty good so far, will report back if things have changed in about 8 minutes time

I fear for your safety now.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
The womens game can be grubby when it wants.

Fairer sex I think not.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
Cows with the first bit of silverware.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
Some woman attended the Catalan Gay Haters v. Castleford game draped in a rainbow flag, but Catalan officials were triggered and wanted to create a safe space for special snowflake Israel Folau, and demanded she remove it twice. Evidently, she told them to gently caress off both times.

Catalan has denied doing such a thing, but gently caress them, they can go suck a dick.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Vagabundo posted:

Some woman attended the Catalan Gay Haters v. Castleford game draped in a rainbow flag, but Catalan officials were triggered and wanted to create a safe space for special snowflake Israel Folau, and demanded she remove it twice. Evidently, she told them to gently caress off both times.

Catalan has denied doing such a thing, but gently caress them, they can go suck a dick.

Good. I support everyone making him as uncomfortable as possible.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Adam is a wonderful example of how a player should go about his business in the NRL
What's really loving frustrating is that he probably genuinely believes that he's the victim in all of this. He can go gently caress himself and Catalan can join him.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
Can any SL followers shed any light as to why Ref Ben Thaler was suspended?

Has RL now expanded to Refs filling the void of animal interference now that the players have calmed down a bit?

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/kennybania_/status/1229964560368406528?s=21

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Forgive the ignorance of these next questions, as I am not a Rugby League follower:

1) Is the Womens Rugby League competition run by the NRL? Are the clubs affiliated with the Mens clubs or are they stand alone? When does it run? Is it a pre-season thing, does it run concurrent with the mens league? How long does it run for? What are participation rates like at lower levels? What is the standard like compared to the men? And I suppose the two most important questions, how is it recieved by fans? Does it get the same sort of "sheilas shouldn't play footy! The standard is not as good! This is a waste of time and money!" etc. whinging that AFLW gets from misogynist fans? Also relating to AFLW, does Womens NRL get financial/advertising support from the NRL, or is it, (like AFLW), treated as an embarrassing afterthought by out of touch league management?

2) This is more a qualitative question, but is Israel Folau really good enough to justify all the other poo poo. I mean he must have been good a while back, but is he currently a good enough footballer to justify hiring him? Does he do enough on the field to offset all the "controversy" that surrounds him. And also not forgetting that he is an unrepentant homophobic fundie arsehole. (And still on this, was he famous/loved/important enough to be a draw back when the AFL and GWS wasted their money on him?)

Again, apologies for the stupidness of the questions.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

BrigadierSensible posted:

Forgive the ignorance of these next questions, as I am not a Rugby League follower:

1) Is the Womens Rugby League competition run by the NRL? Are the clubs affiliated with the Mens clubs or are they stand alone? When does it run? Is it a pre-season thing, does it run concurrent with the mens league? How long does it run for? What are participation rates like at lower levels? What is the standard like compared to the men? And I suppose the two most important questions, how is it recieved by fans? Does it get the same sort of "sheilas shouldn't play footy! The standard is not as good! This is a waste of time and money!" etc. whinging that AFLW gets from misogynist fans? Also relating to AFLW, does Womens NRL get financial/advertising support from the NRL, or is it, (like AFLW), treated as an embarrassing afterthought by out of touch league management?

2) This is more a qualitative question, but is Israel Folau really good enough to justify all the other poo poo. I mean he must have been good a while back, but is he currently a good enough footballer to justify hiring him? Does he do enough on the field to offset all the "controversy" that surrounds him. And also not forgetting that he is an unrepentant homophobic fundie arsehole. (And still on this, was he famous/loved/important enough to be a draw back when the AFL and GWS wasted their money on him?)

Again, apologies for the stupidness of the questions.

1) Yes, I believe so. I think they're affiliated. They play as a sort of mini competition (like there's only a few teams so far) later in the year. From memory it was right at the end of the season last year. It's only a short round-robin - last year there were only 4 teams so it was pretty short, although I think they're planning to add a couple more this year. The standard is OK, not as high scoring (but unlike AFL that's not so much of an issue as the scores are lower anyway). The women also get their own State of Origin and Tests which were pretty popular and were of good quality last year. I haven't heard as much whining as from the AFLW non-fans, but to some degree it's not been pumped as much so there's less pathetic hurt pride on show from the "men" watching. From memory it got a fair bit of advertising and support from the NRL, especially considering the small size of the comp at this stage. Once there's a few more teams and a bit more of an organised competition I should probably add it to the OP.

2) Yes, he's a pretty good player, unfortunately. He's still got the skills and the (footballing, most certainly not any other type of) brain. He's a massive draw and I'm actually impressed the NRL held by its word and nobody's picked him up yet.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

iajanus posted:

1) Yes, I believe so. I think they're affiliated. They play as a sort of mini competition (like there's only a few teams so far) later in the year. From memory it was right at the end of the season last year. It's only a short round-robin - last year there were only 4 teams so it was pretty short, although I think they're planning to add a couple more this year. The standard is OK, not as high scoring (but unlike AFL that's not so much of an issue as the scores are lower anyway). The women also get their own State of Origin and Tests which were pretty popular and were of good quality last year. I haven't heard as much whining as from the AFLW non-fans, but to some degree it's not been pumped as much so there's less pathetic hurt pride on show from the "men" watching. From memory it got a fair bit of advertising and support from the NRL, especially considering the small size of the comp at this stage. Once there's a few more teams and a bit more of an organised competition I should probably add it to the OP.

2) Yes, he's a pretty good player, unfortunately. He's still got the skills and the (footballing, most certainly not any other type of) brain. He's a massive draw and I'm actually impressed the NRL held by its word and nobody's picked him up yet.

Thank you for these answers.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
The scumbag who apparently murder-suicided his kids in Brisbane today played a trial game for the Warriors in 2005 so the headline is of course all about the "EX NRL PLAYER".

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Smorgasbord posted:

The scumbag who apparently murder-suicided his kids in Brisbane today played a trial game for the Warriors in 2005 so the headline is of course all about the "EX NRL PLAYER".
That’s annoying

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
Only thing I can add is amongst those of a less cultured background I associate with they actually think its fine and its good their girls could one day play league and dont have to give up bashing boys when they are 14 or whatever the mixed aged end is.

I havent seen in my sphere any kickback or carry on like the AFLW seemed to generate. I have heard many a comment over "shes a big girl bet she'd rip your dick off and "phwoar shes hot as". So sort of a bit more enlightened I suppose.

MiniSune fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Feb 19, 2020

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

He's spectacularly talented, but possibly even dumber. What you need to remember is that he was spouting his homophobic bullshit when Qantas (Rugby Australia's major sponsor) has a CEO who is openly gay. Not only were Qantas a big part of his salary, Rugby Australia is in a woeful financial position and can't affort to alienate one of the few organisations willing to give them money.

Now that Gallen is retired, Lodge might be the only player left I am hoping suffers a career ending injury.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

MiniSune posted:

Only thing I can add is amongst those of a less cultured background I associate with they actually think its fine and its good their girls could one day play league and dont have to give up bashing boys when they are 14 or whatever the mixed aged end is.

I havent seen in my sphere any kickback or carry on like the AFLW seemed to generate. I have heard many a comment over "shes a big girl bet she'd rip your dick off and "phwoar shes hot as". So sort of a bit more enlightened I suppose.

Look, we have to work with what we have so that's pretty good, all things considered.

I've actually been pretty surprised by the acrimonious response the aflw has gotten from some quarters. The only complaint I have against it is the low scoring, but it's physical and aggressive so I don't really care. I wouldn't go out of my way to watch a game, but I say the exact same thing for the men's version so idk it's perfectly fine by me.

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo
As far as Folau's football skills go, this is his first league gig in a decade. Back then I always thought he was pretty good, but not the best. Players like Inglis were better than him, but he had room to grow.

He did seem like the best player in the side when playing for the tahs/wallabies in union though. Maybe he just didn't have much competition since Australian rugby is shithouse these days.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

I'm happy for the NRL to block Folau, but it is patently ridiculous that they draw the line on what he did (or someone like Todd Carney) as beyond the pale when a violent piece of poo poo like Matt Lodge is accepted back into the game.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
Consistency in the NRL?

Not in this multiverse.

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

Smorgasbord posted:

I'm happy for the NRL to block Folau, but it is patently ridiculous that they draw the line on what he did (or someone like Todd Carney) as beyond the pale when a violent piece of poo poo like Matt Lodge is accepted back into the game.

I'm surprised Carney keeps getting put along side these two shitheads, and am thinking that maybe I don't know what he actually did? He pissed up in the air in a nightclub toilet, was there something else? for the pissing thing I'm fine with him getting dumped from a club, but in the grand scheme of things doesn't seem too bad. He's more a self defeating idiot than a bad guy.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Vagabundo posted:

their first opponent in the UK, Hull FC, released a statement the other day that they have no issue with fans bringing pride flags into the ground. at least three other English teams (Saints, Wigan, and Hull KR) have taken similar positions.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Finally caught up with the Nines games -- that was a fun tournament! Once they got to the quartfinals, the games were entertaining, suspenseful, and showcased a lot of skill to boot.

Wish the Super League would try something like it ... but the seasons don't really work in its favor.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Woop got the cast streaming working, Friday night football is on!

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Smorgasbord posted:

Is it an official NRL block/ban? Or is it just that no club wants to have anything to do with him?

And yeah, how did the NRL justify allowing Matt Lodge to keep playing after all that poo poo that went down in New York? As in, what was their official justification? Also, did he end up ever paying that couple the money he was court ordered to?

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Is it an official NRL block/ban? Or is it just that no club wants to have anything to do with him?

And yeah, how did the NRL justify allowing Matt Lodge to keep playing after all that poo poo that went down in New York? As in, what was their official justification? Also, did he end up ever paying that couple the money he was court ordered to?

I think the nrl said they won't register folau's contract so that's why nobody will sign him

And who knows about Lodge. I'm guessing that it's because he didn't break any laws in Australia and theoretically paid his dues. I think it came out eventually that he paid the couple.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

iajanus posted:

And who knows about Lodge. I'm guessing that it's because he didn't break any laws in Australia and theoretically paid his dues. I think it came out eventually that he paid the couple.

He only paid them after the outrage when it was found he had made no effort to do so. The NRL should have made it a condition of registering his contract that damages in the civil suit had to be paid out first.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Jono C posted:

He only paid them after the outrage when it was found he had made no effort to do so. The NRL should have made it a condition of registering his contract that damages in the civil suit had to be paid out first.

Yes, and I don't think he paid them anywhere near what he was supposed to. He basically strongarmed them into a much smaller settlement than what the court had ordered with the threat of them not being able to get anything out of him otherwise with him being in Australia and them in the U.S

edit: given he was on a heavily discounted deal at Brisbane (remember he turned down a much larger contract with Newcastle despite the very hefty unpaid debt) the suspicion was that he didn't even pay whatever settlement it was, rather the Broncos and their associates took care of it.

Smorgasbord fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Feb 21, 2020

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I’m glad we didn’t sign him

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Broncos also lost to the mighty Wynnum-Manly Seagulls

Up the Gulls!

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
The Dogs vs Sharks stream is a little bit stuttery. Shouldn't be as the backhaul from Moresby to Aus shouldnt be that bad thesdays.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
Oh hey dumb penalty leads to Panthers try. Well I never.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Go tigers go