Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Baka-nin posted:

Decided to finally read Welcome to the NHK over the weekend after stalling on it for years. Its an interesting look and social anxieties and non conformity, and can be bleak as gently caress at times. Don't know how I feel about the ending.

Towards the end of the run a minor character whose been in a miserable and toxic relationship realises the source of a lot of her issues is that she's attracted to women and has been trying really hard to pursue straight relationships and decides to quit forcing heterosexuality on herself. She does a lot better after that.

And one of the main characters runs into a trans woman during a depressive spiral and in desperation to redeem himself gets a job at a host club to help her pay for surgery. Its not treated as a joke just an unexpected turn of events. He was doing it out of a sense of pity which she calls him out over, so its not perfect, but it is an example of a misfit with extreme issues with relationships and women trying to be better by showing some empathy for others.

One thing to note is that the Manga is widely divergent from the original novel source material, as far as the plot, the character's backgrounds, ultimate characterization of the characters, the climax and ending, etc. The anime attempts to combine the narrative of the novel with the earlier arcs of the first half of the manga, and is probably my favorite of the three adaptations. All three versions are definitely worth checking out for their own merits, but especially the anime, which might be my favorite anime of all time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

quote:

A miraculous account of a doubter who was turned into a woman by the one true god. "If you cannot make a girl fall in love with you as a woman your punishment will be to remain a woman for the rest of her life." Thus spoke INSR-sama - the powerful holy lesbian fox goddess who rules our lives - hallowed will be thy name.

.... huh.

Haven't read it, but well, that kinda speaks for itself

https://mangadex.org/title/19728/ore-ga-yuri

Stalin-Chan
Feb 11, 2009
The only part of that which sounds like a punishment is that if you wanna stay a girl forever you can't have a girlfriend. I think I could deal w/ that though, might make that trade.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

i wish it didn't just end like that :(

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Stalin-Chan posted:

The only part of that which sounds like a punishment is that if you wanna stay a girl forever you can't have a girlfriend. I think I could deal w/ that though, might make that trade.

Also wait, that's a really poo poo thing to do for a goddess of lesbians.
Literally, "Go and make some woman fall in love with you as a woman, and then I'll turn you into a man! That'll teach her!"

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Yeaaahhh that description does not inspire confidence

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

It has some very mood moments

But also I guess it just got canned because that's not an ending even though it is one

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
its greatest sin is ultimately its just kinda boring

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Aurora posted:

i wish it didn't just end like that :(

It doesn't.

e: Oh was the joke translation taken down?

Either way, it's kinda interesting but yeah nothing great. I only read it because I liked the premise enough and there wasn't much. :shrug:

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Do they ever do much with the lesbian part of the lesbian fox goddess?

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Not beyond the fact she wants to set up the now female main character with a girl.

I kinda wanted to like it because gender bender yuri is pretty rare, they always do the :biotruths: thing where people turn straight. :argh:

Stalin-Chan
Feb 11, 2009
All I want is for my isekai to have the self insert turn into a girl AND have a girlfriend. Is this too much to ask.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i agree, the protag of only sense online should just admit they are happier and virtual date all the ladies that are into them

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Finally caught up on the thread :comfyoot:

My partners and I just finished watching Yuri on Ice and it was really fun and also super, super gay. Like, I remember hearing that the writers wanted to make it even more gay than they did, but it honestly seems like there isn't a lot of room for more. (Also, going into it completely blind, I thought it was about ice-skating lesbians.)

I've also picked up some nice recommendations from this thread.

That said, it seems like in a lot of these recs the queerness is the entire point -- like, they are manga about being trans or gay or whatever. Does anyone have recs for stuff that is...pervasively, but incidentally, queer?

Like, as an example -- and I haven't read any manga like this so I'm going to go all TBB for a minute -- the Dragonoak trilogy I just finished is extremely queer. The protagonist is a big ol' lesbian, and so are both of her girlfriends. Her dad is bi, and in fact a majority of the supporting cast are queer in some manner, including at least three nonbinary characters and two trans characters -- probably more, honestly, but being trans (or gay, or bi, or ace, or nb...) is so completely unremarkable in this setting that it isn't even worth commenting on. But the thing is, absolutely none of that is the point; they're constantly, omnipresently queer books but the queerness is never central to the plot (or, honestly, even relevant to it at all 99% of the time) -- it's a high fantasy story about politics, war, the destiny of nations hanging by a thread, etc where most of the characters just happen to be queer.

So...anyone got good manga recommendations in that vein?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i skim your post but murcielago

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Also recommending murcielago.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

I look forward to reading it sometime in the distant future when it's finished :negative:

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Jealousy by Scarlet Beriko for gay guys

Yokohama Shopping Trip and Hakumei & Mikochi for lesbians

Kara no Kyoukai for nbs

speaking of nbs you've read/watched Houseki no Kuni right?

i, too, am a fan of Murcielago

e; i read what felt like 500 chapters of soul eater purely because the leads were a goth rock rear end fxnb couple and it was mostly not about that but pretty enjoyable. also there's a flirty witch with bangin titties

ee; also probably worth jotting down some of the official Touhou manga though I've only read Forbidden Scrollery, which was fantastic but not very shippy (snooze iwll probably yel at me for this one) good niht everyone

DisDisDis fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Feb 15, 2020

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

Hoiseki no Kuni is incredible, I really hope we get more of it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

depends what you mean by 'incidentally.' like if the character's arc deals with it but the broader story is about other stuff, does that count? like nabari no ou has a nb character and they talk about their gender issues as a character point for them but its a ninja action mystery manga, they arent really defined by it its just a focus of their backstory. regardless the fact that yuri/bl are defined genres means that there's a lot of good content but also means that sometimes stuff in those fields tends to get pigeon holed into the tropes of that 'genre.'

that being said, harukana receive is a fun sports anime that also just has one of the characters talk about her ex-girlfriend and makes said ex a major character, and they literally use the term 'ex-girlfriend.' there's some fanservice since it's about beach volleyball so naturally everyone's in swimsuits 90% of the show but it never felt that out of line, and the sports narrative itself is pretty good, though since its only 12/13 eps it pretty obviously ends halfway through the story of the manga. there's a good character arc climax but still, here's hoping for a s2.

kino no tabi (2003) leans pretty heavily into the protagonist being nb but it isn't really the focus of their individual adventures, just the backstory ep they get towards the end of the series and a few lines here or there, since its episodic some of the individual stories also deal a bit with gender roles but not really in an overarching theme way. it's mostly an adaptation choice tho, the original LNs and the more recent series don't have that same angle, or at least don't push it as hard.

promare is an action mecha movie that's mostly about rebelling against power structures, that pretty heavily implies the two leads are gay for each other (and the creators are all in on supporting that take given interviews and artbooks and such) but it doesn't quuuite get there in terms of making it literally undeniably explicit. I don't care about that but some people do.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Feb 15, 2020

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also yeah the touhou mangas are pretty good for this because most of the cast is pretty obviously lesbian and there's a general atmosphere of Girls looking out for Girls. Gensokyo in general is a pretty queer-coded setting considering the whole 'hidden from the outside world, everyone argues about petty poo poo but they mean well for each other, general positive vibes' etc. And Miko is explicitly a trans character, so if you're really hardline about stuff being explicit there's that. Though iunno if there's a manga she pops up in much.

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice

Hi! I make analog rpgs and read manga, and I just published a game that's directly relevant to this thread, called Twilight Song. Also the current discussion, since it's got queer themes but they're not necessarily core to the story.

It starts a generation or two in the future, in the twilight of humanity's era, and all the players collectively play a single immortal, non-human narrator who lives among humans, learns from them, and learns about their world and themselves as the years and generations pass. The world gets stranger, lives intertwine, and things and people alike slip out of reach as time goes on.

If any of that sounds familiar it's probably cause it's directly inspired by Yokohama Shopping Log, the manga about robots living in the twilight of humanity, with its numerous lesbian characters and arguably queer themes. That said, Twilight Song doesn't strictly define itself as an 'anime game' in aesthetic or narrative - it's mostly inspired by this one series and a few others (parts of Tsutomu Nihei's works, Mushi-shi, Kino's Journey, and a couple of Ghibli films to name a few) as well as influences outside anime (including the magical-realist short stories of Bruno Schulz, The Moon and the Bonfires, the music of Toh Kay). It's currently priced at $12.50, but if that's too expensive then you can still wait for sales and bundles where the price will drop (and the price will probably drop in general at some point). If you want a preview of the game, the 'oracle' (a set of randomised story prompts) is freely available in the 'demo' section. I also made a tweet thread about some of what I see as the queer themes in the game, based on my experience of them, if you're interested:

https://twitter.com/SpeaktheSky/status/1228378011248025600

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

DisDisDis posted:

Jealousy by Scarlet Beriko for gay guys

Yokohama Shopping Trip and Hakumei & Mikochi for lesbians

Kara no Kyoukai for nbs

speaking of nbs you've read/watched Houseki no Kuni right?

Thanks! I've heard of Houseki no Kuni/Land of the Lustrous but since (all together now) it's not finished yet, I haven't started reading it.

It looks like Yokohama Shopping Trip is finished though so that's probably my next stop.

quote:

ee; also probably worth jotting down some of the official Touhou manga though I've only read Forbidden Scrollery, which was fantastic but not very shippy (snooze iwll probably yel at me for this one) good niht everyone

My only Touhou experience is playing Luna Nights (it's good) and having Embodiment of Scarlet Devil completely kick my rear end in high school, I keep forgetting that there's more of it. Any in particular you'd recommend?

UnCO3 posted:

Hi! I make analog rpgs and read manga, and I just published a game that's directly relevant to this thread, called Twilight Song. Also the current discussion, since it's got queer themes but they're not necessarily core to the story.

It starts a generation or two in the future, in the twilight of humanity's era, and all the players collectively play a single immortal, non-human narrator who lives among humans, learns from them, and learns about their world and themselves as the years and generations pass. The world gets stranger, lives intertwine, and things and people alike slip out of reach as time goes on.

Any sort of tabletop is completely out of reach for me these days, but that sounds extremely cool.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

DisDisDis posted:

ahh i am yelling at you ahh

forbidden scrollery is the best tho and kosuzu is great and everyone should read it

ToxicFrog posted:

I keep forgetting that there's more of it. Any in particular you'd recommend?

muhahaha read forbidden scrollery

also read this https://mangadex.org/title/42565/touhou-chireikiden-hansoku-tantei-satori its literally just nero wolfe with touhou characters its funny and great

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Snooze Cruise posted:

ahh i am yelling at you ahh

forbidden scrollery is the best tho and kosuzu is great and everyone should read it

muhahaha read forbidden scrollery

also read this https://mangadex.org/title/42565/touhou-chireikiden-hansoku-tantei-satori its literally just nero wolfe with touhou characters its funny and great

This sounds great, I'll check out both

Also this conversation is getting me to reinstall Scarlet Devil, you monsters.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Finished prunis girl and lol at the end where he still refuses to have sex even after a year+ of dating

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
tbf, aikawa's dick is huge

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Snooze Cruise posted:

i agree, the protag of only sense online should just admit they are happier and virtual date all the ladies that are into them

I'm late but :yeah:

(Also oh my god someone else who reads OSO)

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
I want to be the sister's girlfriend's live in crafter

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Apparently Square Enix is going to start publishing manga this year, and CherryMaho will be one of the first titles. Probably not gonna be that explicit about things (I mean, you can order it at Walmart), but it seems unusual to my memory for M4M stuff from a big publisher to not be sequestered to some spinoff label.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
That's cool, hoping this is just a start and they'll publish more stuff like that.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
dear
thread?

what should I watch?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Toalpaz posted:

dear
thread?

what should I watch?

It's in the thread title

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

iospace posted:

It's in the thread title

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

iospace posted:

It's in the thread title

Snooze Cruise posted:

starting to get the impression that people mistake the thread title as a suggestion and not an order

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

What if I've already seen that? Should I watch it again?

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Kwyndig posted:

What if I've already seen that? Should I watch it again?

you should watch granbelm

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

i should watch granbelm

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
i need to rewatch yuri on ice. gosh thats such a good series