Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

somepartsareme posted:

i notice people talk about this kind of thing a lot and i think it just shows that to the writers, a character being gay/trans/etc is enough of a punchline in the first place. people take a lack of explicit bigotry as a sign of acceptance, and then the writers start writing actual "jokes" about it later on

It's been years since I've watched it, but isn't there an early episode where julian finds out Randy and Lahey are gay and he covers for them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

ilmucche posted:

It's been years since I've watched it, but isn't there an early episode where julian finds out Randy and Lahey are gay and he covers for them?

Yeah, he found out about it and kept their secret safe because they didn't feel comfortable coming out. He even mentions it to Erica the cop when he returns Randy's stolen barbecue.

Randy then comes out during the bumblebee/Indianapolis Jones event, and everyone ends up accepting it.

I'll also second the Donna stuff. I liked her at first, but then she started off in the next season all mean and demeaning Randy. And then she comes back the season after that threatening Lahey's newfound balance in life outside of the trailer park.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

oh they still are, despite having a trans character and multiple nonstandard relationships up until that point, Trailer Park Boys drops a hard T slur in season 11, which is years after they became Netflix exclusive.

Trailer Park Boys in general just gets really mean after season 7 and i don't get it?

Mike clattenburg was the brains of the operation

the three dudes aren't actually funny at all, as can be seen when they try to do anything else

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

What's Clattenburg worked on since?

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Detective No. 27 posted:

What's Clattenburg worked on since?

not much, apparently

some made for TV Canadian movies and an adult swim show called black Jesus, which I've never seen

if he got rich off TPB, they probably suck. That's usually how it works

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

the thing that really shocked me about netflix TPB is the homophobia

like, early on, TPB really kind of goes out of its way to treat the queer characters as regular people and make it clear that they're 100% accepted by everyone for it. and then they introduce Don/na, and handle them actually pretty okay at first (it's fairly rare to see a genderfluid character on TV at all let alone one who isn't inherently treated as a joke)... but then the very next goddamn season they swerve to the character being a binary transwoman who's also a sexual predator and rapes Randy

seriously, what the gently caress?

I was thinking about something similar with Always Sunny pretty recently. There's an earlier episode that kind of a bit transphobic--and I know at least Glenn Howerton has said if they could go back they wouldn't do it again--but even there it felt like Mac was the butt of the joke. I wonder if that's why it doesn't tend to get as much poo poo for it as say How I Met Your Mother does for the transphobic jokes it made.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

yea it's a shame because "Mac is a serial killer" is like one of the top five best episodes, and there could have easily been some other contrivance to make him act suspicious

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I was thinking of "Charlie Has Cancer" specifically, but yeah.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

christmas boots posted:

I was thinking about something similar with Always Sunny pretty recently. There's an earlier episode that kind of a bit transphobic--and I know at least Glenn Howerton has said if they could go back they wouldn't do it again--but even there it felt like Mac was the butt of the joke. I wonder if that's why it doesn't tend to get as much poo poo for it as say How I Met Your Mother does for the transphobic jokes it made.

It’s also interesting how they make gay jokes without insulting gay people- mac is never made fun of for being gay, he’s made fun of for stubbornly refusing to accept it, and it’s always framed that way. When he comes out, he’s not the butt of the joke anymore.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

christmas boots posted:

Always Sunny can do those kinds of jokes because the people saying the horrible stuff are shown to be the worst people and their lives are awful.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Push El Burrito posted:

Always Sunny can do those kinds of jokes because the people saying the horrible stuff are shown to be the worst people and their lives are awful.

Bingo.

I was initially wary watching Letterkenny for the exact same reason. I had just told my boyfriend that I don't watch a lot of comedies because of transphobia, and he told me Letterkenny was different. Okay, I agreed to give it a try, and then McMurray starts going off about Thai ladyboys in the very first episode. It took awhile longer to go "okay McMurray is an objectifying piece of poo poo and they're showing that with that discussion" instead of it being the punchline.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

always sunny is great because the characters are so fuckin terrible that it's funny when THEY get offended, or when they all agree that something is in poor taste

like when Dee says the swim club probably keeps a couple black people around "like dancing monkeys" and Dennis looks like he's about to have a heart attack

TBH though I stopped watching IASIP a couple episodes into season 10 because it was getting really really bad

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

hawowanlawow posted:

always sunny is great because the characters are so fuckin terrible that it's funny when THEY get offended, or when they all agree that something is in poor taste

like when Dee says the swim club probably keeps a couple black people around "like dancing monkeys" and Dennis looks like he's about to have a heart attack

TBH though I stopped watching IASIP a couple episodes into season 10 because it was getting really really bad

10 is kind of a low point. Season 13’s finale was really, really good.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Ugly In The Morning posted:

10 is kind of a low point. Season 13’s finale was really, really good.

I'm not crying, YOU'RE crying.

e: also I think Season 13's premiere is one of the funnier episodes, too, it just goes so incredibly nuts and Mindy Kaling is a treat as a member of the gang.

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe
Since someone asked a page or two ago, I’m pretty sure this is the chronological order for all the TPB films and series.

Seasons 1-4
Christmas Special
Season 5
The Big Dirty
Seasons 6-7
Season 7.5 Web Short Films
Say Goodnight To The Bad Guys
Countdown To Liquor Day
Don't Legalize It
Season 8
Season 8.5 Web Short Films
Seasons 9-12

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Arivia posted:

Bingo.

I was initially wary watching Letterkenny for the exact same reason. I had just told my boyfriend that I don't watch a lot of comedies because of transphobia, and he told me Letterkenny was different. Okay, I agreed to give it a try, and then McMurray starts going off about Thai ladyboys in the very first episode. It took awhile longer to go "okay McMurray is an objectifying piece of poo poo and they're showing that with that discussion" instead of it being the punchline.

I mean it can probably be both 'McMurray is a piece of poo poo' and also 'McMurray is a weird sex creep who'd go so far as to gently caress transfolk' :shrug:

Letterkenny doesn't exactly have a perfect track record. Roald's a punchline in a lot of the later seasons through being an awkward effeminate gay man. Glen too, really, combined with being some kind of Christian-related preacher. Katy's a sex addict and played for viewer sex appeal a lot. Both Wayne's and Derry's Quebecois partners were written out through weird, uncomfortable Canadian province cultural...-ist focused cheating. Etc.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

somepartsareme posted:

i notice people talk about this kind of thing a lot and i think it just shows that to the writers, a character being gay/trans/etc is enough of a punchline in the first place. people take a lack of explicit bigotry as a sign of acceptance, and then the writers start writing actual "jokes" about it later on

but the thing is TPB actively went in the opposite direction prior to that. it didn't just lack explicit bigotry, it was actually very explicit that everyone else accepted (for example) lahey and randy's weird gay relationship. the humor wasn't derived from them being gay, it was derived from one of them being an insane elderly alcoholic and the other being a cheeseburger-obsessed weirdo, and julian's explicit reaction to finding out they have a thing early in the series is "hey, not into that, but that's cool, you do you"

hell, with donna, the central joke of the character was randy not really understanding that they were genderfluid and thinking that "don" and "donna" were two separate people. i took that as a joke at the expense of randy, not at the expense of nb people.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

somepartsareme posted:

Could also be the higher ups.
There's a Queer-focused series that's pretty well regarded as groundbreaking and one of the execs was like "hey reel it in, we're not writing sci-fi here guys" when the writers said they wanted the trans-person to be in a relationship...

And that was like just 2 years ago.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

FilthyImp posted:

Could also be the higher ups.
There's a Queer-focused series that's pretty well regarded as groundbreaking and one of the execs was like "hey reel it in, we're not writing sci-fi here guys" when the writers said they wanted the trans-person to be in a relationship...

And that was like just 2 years ago.

What show is that?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

ishikabibble posted:

I mean it can probably be both 'McMurray is a piece of poo poo' and also 'McMurray is a weird sex creep who'd go so far as to gently caress transfolk' :shrug:

Letterkenny doesn't exactly have a perfect track record. Roald's a punchline in a lot of the later seasons through being an awkward effeminate gay man. Glen too, really, combined with being some kind of Christian-related preacher. Katy's a sex addict and played for viewer sex appeal a lot. Both Wayne's and Derry's Quebecois partners were written out through weird, uncomfortable Canadian province cultural...-ist focused cheating. Etc.

I think the punchline with Roald and Glen is that they specifically have weird hangups, not that there's anything actually wrong with being gay. I don't disagree that Katy is definitely objectified and shown to the male gaze, but she also has a ton of agency. And the Quebeckers are pretty common acceptable Canadian stereotype punching that goes both ways all over, no one's actually offended at that.

But in terms of representation, it may not stand out to an American, but the Indigenous inclusion and representation on Letterkenny is incredibly good. Having Tanis is great, having the rez folks be real people is great, and there's real work at making things better that's really good. The section of "Haunting of MoDean's II" with Tanis is a howler because of how many stereotypes they send up and recognize as wrong inside of what 3 minutes? Every line of that scene is a cry for respecting Indigenous folks, and it's incredible. And that includes Bonnie McMurray in the sexy squaw costume.

Now, you're obviously a bit ahead of me (I just watched Wayne buy an engagement ring for Marie), so things might change later, but so far it's been incredibly really good.

e: like there's plenty of positive gay moments too, with the gym pair and pretty much everything with the speed dating episode. Roald's just weird like all the other skids.

Arivia has a new favorite as of 19:49 on Feb 12, 2020

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
The Tanis scene in the Christmas episode where she gets mad at Wayne for him giving her an apron is pretty good too.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Arivia posted:

I think the punchline with Roald and Glen is that they specifically have weird hangups, not that there's anything actually wrong with being gay. I don't disagree that Katy is definitely objectified and shown to the male gaze, but she also has a ton of agency. And the Quebeckers are pretty common acceptable Canadian stereotype punching that goes both ways all over, no one's actually offended at that.

But in terms of representation, it may not stand out to an American, but the Indigenous inclusion and representation on Letterkenny is incredibly good. Having Tanis is great, having the rez folks be real people is great, and there's real work at making things better that's really good. The section of "Haunting of MoDean's II" with Tanis is a howler because of how many stereotypes they send up and recognize as wrong inside of what 3 minutes? Every line of that scene is a cry for respecting Indigenous folks, and it's incredible. And that includes Bonnie McMurray in the sexy squaw costume.

Now, you're obviously a bit ahead of me (I just watched Wayne buy an engagement ring for Marie), so things might change later, but so far it's been incredibly really good.

e: like there's plenty of positive gay moments too, with the gym pair and pretty much everything with the speed dating episode. Roald's just weird like all the other skids.

It's not so much a 'there's something wrong with gay' joke as it is leaning a bit into gay is funny. At least how I kinda felt during some of the scenes. Maybe it might just be that it's been a while since I finished catching up, so some of the jokes that didn't land quite right to me got magnified over time.

Hard agree on Tanis though, she's genuinely great and easily my favorite character on the show. And apologies if I spoiled anything!

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
With the office, I'm enjoying late-game Pam. I like her glee at the things she accomplishes when she grows a spine and starts really fighting for what she wants post-firewalk. Like the Scam of the Century where she bluffs her way into Office administrator, and then in Todd Packer: "I'm full-on corrupt :)".

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

hawowanlawow posted:

IASIP is one of the best examples I have seen of aging well. It started in 2005, and even today the early seasons still hold up without being as terrible as some of the stuff from that time. So few other "shock" comedies from that time can say the same.

In 2009 we had The Hangover, which has aged very poorly in that the main characters are hurling the insult "human being" at each other.

Always Sunny is even featured and discussed for this very reason in this "woke" era of media portrayal as how that kind of humor can be done right. Some of the stuff they probably won't repeat, but even for the time they did it they were way ahead of the social curve for that. Most trans humor/jokes in the first decade of the 2000s is pretty revolting to see now.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

BioEnchanted posted:

With the office, I'm enjoying late-game Pam. I like her glee at the things she accomplishes when she grows a spine and starts really fighting for what she wants post-firewalk. Like the Scam of the Century where she bluffs her way into Office administrator, and then in Todd Packer: "I'm full-on corrupt :)".

There is a season or two where Pam and Jim can’t get a real break. I think it’s mostly when Jim is manager.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Wouldn't the Hangover fall under the same terrible people protective umbrella as IASIP? Doug wasn't a bad person, but he's missing for most of the movie. I think the Hangover 2 and Hangover 3 are the main reasons why the Hangover has aged poorly. How the gently caress did that get a trilogy.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Krispy Wafer posted:

Wouldn't the Hangover fall under the same terrible people protective umbrella as IASIP? Doug wasn't a bad person, but he's missing for most of the movie. I think the Hangover 2 and Hangover 3 are the main reasons why the Hangover has aged poorly. How the gently caress did that get a trilogy.

Thing is funny, therefore more thing will be funny. Thing is cheap to make.

:capitalism:

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Probably Hollywood Accounting means it's cheaper to make two sequels at once than just the one. But then Hangover 2 was the exact same movie, and I never bothered with 3. 2 was also when Mike Tyson went from 'Cameo from someone who lives in vegas they encountered on their bender' to 'somehow friends with them'.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Krispy Wafer posted:

The Hangover made a fuckton of money . Then the sequel made more money so of course they would make a third.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I'm finding season 8 of The Office kind of interesting entirely because Robert California is an interesting villain, and probably the closest the series has to a genuine antagonist as Ryan is more of a nuisance. He's interesting because he has a unique management style similar to Michael Scott, but where Scott encourages people out of genuine wanting to see them at their best, Robert encourages people in order to put them in positions that they are useful to him. He even seems sort of caring on the surface, but I know from internet stuff that his master plan involves screwing Dwight over on the Sabre store thing. I just watched the Trivia Night episode, which seems to be the beginning of the build to that moment.

He actually feels like the same kind of manipulative bastard that Ryan tries and fails to be. He is a successful Ryan.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 20:04 on Feb 15, 2020

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Speaking of TV shows that don't age well Entourage is some hot garbage. Basically any 5 minutes of that show you have some insane Hollywood poo poo treated like business as usual up to and including lending out a executive assistant as a sextoy to a big deal writer.

Post Harvey Weinstein the show as a whole is just a gross display of what people just accepted as part of the acting agent producer assistant writer general culture overall.

Some of the "funny" stuff now comes of as worse then any bad humor I've ever seen. The Arab billionaire who financed the Medellin movie has a smoking hot wife who wants to gently caress Vince. Its awkward and comical and then the billionaire basically orders Vince to gently caress her and its a funny cue music cut to a sex scene while the crew crack jokes and laugh about it and Vince is saying how he's embarassed to look the guy in the eyes now or something after railing his wife.

pentyne has a new favorite as of 20:21 on Feb 15, 2020

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

entourage didn't age poorly, it was always like that

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

pentyne posted:

IASIP is one of the best examples I have seen of aging well. It started in 2005, and even today the early seasons still hold up without being as terrible as some of the stuff from that time. So few other "shock" comedies from that time can say the same.

In 2009 we had The Hangover, which has aged very poorly in that the main characters are hurling the insult "human being" at each other.

Always Sunny is even featured and discussed for this very reason in this "woke" era of media portrayal as how that kind of humor can be done right. Some of the stuff they probably won't repeat, but even for the time they did it they were way ahead of the social curve for that. Most trans humor/jokes in the first decade of the 2000s is pretty revolting to see now.

Even in 2009 'human being' was a nasty slur. I can't rewatch it.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
When I watched "Hero or Hate Crime" for the first time I busted a gut at hearing the f-slur come out of Danny Devito's mouth. Probably the only time ever that will actually be funny.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

pentyne posted:

Speaking of TV shows that don't age well Entourage is some hot garbage. Basically any 5 minutes of that show you have some insane Hollywood poo poo treated like business as usual up to and including lending out a executive assistant as a sextoy to a big deal writer.

Post Harvey Weinstein the show as a whole is just a gross display of what people just accepted as part of the acting agent producer assistant writer general culture overall.

Some of the "funny" stuff now comes of as worse then any bad humor I've ever seen. The Arab billionaire who financed the Medellin movie has a smoking hot wife who wants to gently caress Vince. Its awkward and comical and then the billionaire basically orders Vince to gently caress her and its a funny cue music cut to a sex scene while the crew crack jokes and laugh about it and Vince is saying how he's embarassed to look the guy in the eyes now or something after railing his wife.

There was a show Fox aired in the 90s about a sociopath exec, and theres two brother executives who are very thinly veiled jabs at the Weinsteins . I believe the plot was a former employee wants a part on their new film, and she can have it if the main character will let the brothers have their way with his secretary or something. I read about it on Cracked, so the details might be fuzzy.

I brought it up because it seems especially toned considering how commonplace it was for people to be aware of his sleaziness, since that show was in the 90s.

El Gallinero Gros has a new favorite as of 22:46 on Feb 15, 2020

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

BioEnchanted posted:

I'm finding season 8 of The Office kind of interesting entirely because Robert California is an interesting villain, and probably the closest the series has to a genuine antagonist as Ryan is more of a nuisance. He's interesting because he has a unique management style similar to Michael Scott, but where Scott encourages people out of genuine wanting to see them at their best, Robert encourages people in order to put them in positions that they are useful to him. He even seems sort of caring on the surface, but I know from internet stuff that his master plan involves screwing Dwight over on the Sabre store thing. I just watched the Trivia Night episode, which seems to be the beginning of the build to that moment.

He actually feels like the same kind of manipulative bastard that Ryan tries and fails to be. He is a successful Ryan.

:hfive: I just got to that episode last night. Robert is a great foil to Dwight because Dwight calls him out on his manipulative poo poo. Dwight's overall arc is pretty great, especially how the relationship between him and Jim changes.

Still bouncing around a bit as I re-watch, but that's mostly because I can't stand the parts where Nellie is manager. Her character gets better, but she's incredibly mean and obnoxious at the beginning. We're supposed to feel sorry for her when Andy starts tormenting her, but honestly it's hard to care. I wish they'd played around more with female bosses, because Jo Bennet is excellent.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

hyperhazard posted:

:hfive: I just got to that episode last night. Robert is a great foil to Dwight because Dwight calls him out on his manipulative poo poo. Dwight's overall arc is pretty great, especially how the relationship between him and Jim changes.

In the UK office Gareth doesn't really grow at all, but Tim comes off far less like a bully. Kind of a tradeoff.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

hyperhazard posted:

Still bouncing around a bit as I re-watch, but that's mostly because I can't stand the parts where Nellie is manager. Her character gets better, but she's incredibly mean and obnoxious at the beginning. We're supposed to feel sorry for her when Andy starts tormenting her, but honestly it's hard to care. I wish they'd played around more with female bosses, because Jo Bennet is excellent.

The best thing about the finale of the US Office was that Dwight finally got to fire Jim.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

El Gallinero Gros posted:

There was a show Fox aired in the 90s about a sociopath exec, and theres two brother executives who are very thinly veiled jabs at the Weinsteins . I believe the plot was a former employee wants a part on their new film, and she can have it if the main character will let the brothers have their way with his secretary or something. I read about it on Cracked, so the details might be fuzzy.

I brought it up because it seems especially toned considering how commonplace it was for people to be aware of his sleaziness, since that show was in the 90s.

It was called Profit.

Yeah and it was sleazy and gross and had corporate execs abusing the hell out of underlings and played off as so shocking and gross it can't be real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

The main thing with season 8 is that it feels more unreal because of Robert, but in a fun way. All the other seasons dealt with characters yes, but they were all people. They got better over time. No one had to defeat them to make them better people, but Nellie and Robert are basically villains that need to be defeated. It's a much more traditional story structure.