Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Cardiovorax posted:

If you set the game to "only update when I launch the game" and then go offline with the Steam Client before you start the game, it'll never update. There doesn't seem to be a way to just tell the client not to do it, though.

Some games can be run directly from their exe without using steam. You can even copy the install folder out of your steam libary to be extra safe. Other games have older versions in the beta tab which you can opt into. Other than that though, steam will always check for updates when you launch a game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Hub Cat posted:

It also doesn't work if Steam is aware of the update, it won't allow you to play even in offline mode.

You can edit the manifest file for the game to make Steam forget that there's an update needed.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Fruits of the sea posted:

Hey thread. Is there a way to make a game never ever update? There only seems to be options for updating when the game starts or making the updates high priority.
You can do it with games that run without Steam - if you set them to only update on launch, then launch the executable manually (or through external patchers/launchers or mods), you can play the unpatched game even though Steam will keep the update queued (make sure you never launch the game through Steam or trigger the update, though). That's how people keep a specific version of Bethesda games going for mods, which can get hosed by their frequent Creation Club-related updates.

For games which call Steam every time they launch (eg. for DRM purposes), you'll have to do :filez: shenanigans or the workarounds mentioned above. Unless games specifically keep old versions on beta branches (eg. Shadow of the Tomb Raider does that), you're not supposed to play outdated versions of games on Steam.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Ugly In The Morning posted:

So glad I still have my disc copy of CoH, the multiplayer balance changes hosed up the single player.

Yeah not really.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Orv posted:

Yeah not really.

Could have sworn I remember reading something somewhere about how certain singleplayer missions are impossible to finish due to balance changes

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I remember something like that as well. Might just be people exaggerating, though.

Orv
May 4, 2011
They are, I played through the CoH 1 campaigns late last year. There were two missions that I had to redo because of those issues requiring you to do a specific setup but I finished them all.

E: Granted unlike MP RTS matches I tend to slow roll the gently caress out of SP campaign missions just because it's relaxing to build up a giant force and in CoH in particular you can slowly take over the map and fill it with defenses and garbage in almost every mission so if you were trying to rush down the campaign there are definitely some missions where you'd just get mulched.

CLARPUS
Apr 3, 2008
Seeing that.
Seeing as.

I followed Steam Labs's recommendation to play Dark Souls Remastered and boy I was not expecting to get sucked in like this. I always knew it was a Good Game, I just never got around to playing it. I just beat the two rear end in a top hat gargoyles on the roof and I have no idea what's gonna happen next besides dying a lot. I'm hesitant to ask for tips because playing this game totally blind has been awesome so far. But can someone explain what reverse hollowing and kindling does? Should I be doing that a lot? I also don't understand what covenants do but I have the way of the white one right now.

I didn't realize there was PvP so when I get a notification that I'm being invaded I'm like uhhh ok what. Then this red dude runs up to me and bows and I'm like oh a friend and I'm fumbling to open the gestures menu and as I begin to wave hello he starts shooting blue balls of magic at me and then instantly backstabs me and bows again as I fade into a ghostly mist. But then after the gargoyles there's this T-posing NPC offering "indictments" against players that invade and kill you? What the hell??

And the messages players leave around are great. I especially liked the one in a small cubby that says, "tight spot."

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Nuramor posted:

So now that its on Steam, should I get Metro Exodus for 40% off or wait for another sale and hope for more?

Can anyone say whether it's less buggy than the Xbox Gamepass version?

That poo poo crashed constantly and wiped my save half way through.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

CLARPUS posted:

I followed Steam Labs's recommendation to play Dark Souls Remastered and boy I was not expecting to get sucked in like this. I always knew it was a Good Game, I just never got around to playing it. I just beat the two rear end in a top hat gargoyles on the roof and I have no idea what's gonna happen next besides dying a lot. I'm hesitant to ask for tips because playing this game totally blind has been awesome so far. But can someone explain what reverse hollowing and kindling does? Should I be doing that a lot? I also don't understand what covenants do but I have the way of the white one right now.

I didn't realize there was PvP so when I get a notification that I'm being invaded I'm like uhhh ok what. Then this red dude runs up to me and bows and I'm like oh a friend and I'm fumbling to open the gestures menu and as I begin to wave hello he starts shooting blue balls of magic at me and then instantly backstabs me and bows again as I fade into a ghostly mist. But then after the gargoyles there's this T-posing NPC offering "indictments" against players that invade and kill you? What the hell??

And the messages players leave around are great. I especially liked the one in a small cubby that says, "tight spot."
Right, so without spoiling anything: Reverse hollowing costs one liquid humanity (the number in the top left of your screen as opposed to the Humanity item which can be used to increase that number) and it turns you from undead to human - until you die. While human, you can kindle bonfires and summon allies for co-op, but you can also be invaded - invasion being the game's form of PVP, as you found out.
Kindling means spending one (liquid) humanity to upgrade a bonfire. Kindled bonfires give you extra Estus charges when you rest at them. e: There is a key item that lets you kindle a bonfire multiple times which can be helpful if you're stuck; if you feel like you want it, head to the graveyard and beyond.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Feb 15, 2020

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

CLARPUS posted:

I'm hesitant to ask for tips because playing this game totally blind has been awesome so far. But can someone explain what reverse hollowing and kindling does? Should I be doing that a lot? I also don't understand what covenants do but I have the way of the white one right now.
Reversing hollowing does three things: it lets you kindle, it turns on PVP, and it allows you to summon both NPCs and other players to help you either in boss fights or just in getting through an area. Reversing hollowing costs one liquid humanity (the big number in the top left.) Kindling costs an additional liquid humanity. What it does is to increase the Estus you gain at that bonfire permanently. You know how the Firelink bonfire gives you ten shots of Estus? That.

Indictments against player killers basically mean the PVP police covenant is allowed to specifically go after them. It doesn't really do much.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Trying the new generation of Tomb Raiders, starting with 2013 and there’s a twitchy full screen camera bob when running that really hurts my head after awhile.

Anyone else have that happen?

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I think the game where they messed up the campaign balance for MP was in CnC 3. The mission where you get Mammoth Tanks for the first time becomes a total slog (because they're weaker and more expensive); any mission with lots of scripted infantry running around gets harder (because infantry were buffed across the board); etc. The only ones that get really impossible are near the end of the Nod campaign, though.

There are patch-reversion files floating around out there, but I could never get them to work.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Rolo posted:

Trying the new generation of Tomb Raiders, starting with 2013 and there’s a twitchy full screen camera bob when running that really hurts my head after awhile.

Anyone else have that happen?

I can't speak personally to it but I found this on the PCGamingWiki that has a hook patch that turns it off. Stuff from there is generally pretty trustworthy but always scan it, etc.

admataY
Oct 16, 2008
Epic did what UBIdidnt , and had DIVISION 2 for 3 USD rather then 10 Euros, so I bit.
First impression is that im a bit overwhelmed - The UI is some sort of byzantine maze of menus and submeneus , systems upon systems , maybe its my fault for clicking away all the tips in the beginning .
So im not sure what any of the options does, what all the big shiny squares that pop up when i press esc do , or what am I supposed to do.
I just follow the marker , kill dudes , occasionally wave to the random wild dogo or fox in the street , and enjoy the pretty graphic .
It is fun enough I guess .

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Kin posted:

Can anyone say whether it's less buggy than the Xbox Gamepass version?

That poo poo crashed constantly and wiped my save half way through.

I played all the way through to the end (a rarity for me) on the PC, so assuming you are asking about PC version, I certainly had no issues with it upon release.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Orv posted:

They are, I played through the CoH 1 campaigns late last year. There were two missions that I had to redo because of those issues requiring you to do a specific setup but I finished them all.

E: Granted unlike MP RTS matches I tend to slow roll the gently caress out of SP campaign missions just because it's relaxing to build up a giant force and in CoH in particular you can slowly take over the map and fill it with defenses and garbage in almost every mission so if you were trying to rush down the campaign there are definitely some missions where you'd just get mulched.

Ahh damnit. I didn't ask for CoH, but I was planning on running through it later. Thanks anyways guys, running steam in offline mode when I launch the game will work for now.

CLARPUS posted:

People here have already explained the multiplayer, otherwise go in blind, and feel free to ask for tips if you get stuck in the Dark Souls 3 thread. The folks there are really cool and have played the previous Souls games to death.

If you're having trouble with mobility, stripping off armor to get the fast roll is a seriously good idea. Learning to time ripostes is a great way to get around some of the more difficult mobs.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

admataY posted:

Epic did what UBIdidnt , and had DIVISION 2 for 3 USD rather then 10 Euros, so I bit.
First impression is that im a bit overwhelmed - The UI is some sort of byzantine maze of menus and submeneus , systems upon systems , maybe its my fault for clicking away all the tips in the beginning .
So im not sure what any of the options does, what all the big shiny squares that pop up when i press esc do , or what am I supposed to do.
I just follow the marker , kill dudes , occasionally wave to the random wild dogo or fox in the street , and enjoy the pretty graphic .

Thanks for this, I haven't seen a case of "I didn't read the manual and now I'm lost what do I do" in the wild in ages

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Yeah Division 2 has intense menu bloat but it's basically a game about going to the objectives, shooting guys, getting upgrades for your Q/E abilities and equipping gear that has a green number on it, that's 95% of the game.

What still gets my goat is that there still isn't a True DPS number and I have to kludge it from Damage * RPM? Really?

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus

admataY posted:

Consider asking either in the division thread or reddit or doing any amount of reading of all the tooltips

That said, this game has a lot of content for 3 bucks so glad you're having fun. Consider joining a clan: goons have one on PC that's the most active of the other goon splinters; Agents on Hold.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
can someone link me to or tell me the best way to share my steam account with my kids? I thought just logging in would work but its like "lol another computer is already logged in and playing a game"

Orv
May 4, 2011

Doorknob Slobber posted:

can someone link me to or tell me the best way to share my steam account with my kids? I thought just logging in would work but its like "lol another computer is already logged in and playing a game"

Settings, Family, Family Library Sharing. Limitation(s) is that you can't be playing something on more than one account at once.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

prolly dumb question: Does Void Destroyer 2 have a single button-press for autopiloting to a mission objective right out of the station?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Orv posted:

Settings, Family, Family Library Sharing. Limitation(s) is that you can't be playing something on more than one account at once.
It also only works with up to five devices at a time.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Hwurmp posted:

prolly dumb question: Does Void Destroyer 2 have a single button-press for autopiloting to a mission objective right out of the station?

As far as I can tell no. You have to fly away from the station enough to get to the overworld map, and only then can you right click on the mission to autopilot there.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

For those that think Void Destroyer 2 looks too bright and cartoon, apparently there are "upgrades" you can buy that change the skybox, and also one that changes the lighting model. These upgrades are all extremely cheap and easily affordable within the first 10-15 minutes (though its kinda silly they aren't just graphics options).

Here is the default:

Same base with the "RLA" (Realistic Light Aproximation) upgrade and "Dark Space" skybox upgrade installed:

You can also turn off the cell-shading outlines/borders in the options menu, which gives it a very 1982 Tron CGI feel to me, but looks a bit weird and plasticy at times. (this is also with RLA+Dark Space)

Hwurmp posted:

Kinda? It actually has something of an "overworld" map. For example, when you undock from a station you can just push Enter to engage your gravity drive, which rapidly propels you to the edge of the local space instance and you're put on an overworld map where you set your course using the mouse and the ship automatically flies wherever under time acceleration. You can see it in action at the timestamp I've set for this video the dev made: (4minutes 25 seconds if it doesn't work)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3yC_bdBkcw&t=263s

you can see a pair of wireframe bands that mark the local instance (there is also an "upgrade" that disables these if they annoy you).

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Feb 16, 2020

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

The Locator posted:

I played all the way through to the end (a rarity for me) on the PC, so assuming you are asking about PC version, I certainly had no issues with it upon release.

Yeah, the xbox gamepass PC version was buggy as gently caress. It had terrible reviews because of it but i wasn't sure if it was just that particular version of it or not.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Void Destroyer 2 looks perfectly fine, just in cell-shaded kind of way.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Edit: NM

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Kin posted:

Yeah, the xbox gamepass PC version was buggy as gently caress. It had terrible reviews because of it but i wasn't sure if it was just that particular version of it or not.

I only had one major crash on the Epic version of Metro Exodus and it only set me back to a near autosave :shrug:, and I've had xb gamepass cause autosave issues with other games like Children of Morta that work fine on Steam.

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013
Something annoying for me about Void Destroyer 2 is reaching my objective in the overworld, and then time compression stops a bit too soon because of proximity, forcing me to either wait like 20 seconds for my ship to crawl the rest of the way there at regular speed, or manually exit the overworld and fly the rest of the way myself. Not a big deal, but it's a bit obnoxious every time. I wish it would let me get a little bit closer before booting me out of time compression, or just let me manually force it back on.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Seriously though is there a good way to get True DPS comparisons in Division 2

Orv
May 4, 2011

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Seriously though is there a good way to get True DPS comparisons in Division 2

The thread would know better since most of them have still been playing this whole time.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Void Destroyer 2 looks a bit like an episode of Reboot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuEJWmxWkKw

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the extremely low trophy percentages on kentucky route zero are bumming me out

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I have an extremely important question about Crysis: is there any way to pick up a chicken and then gently put it down instead of punting it at the ground at 5000 mph

I get so sad picking them up afterwards and they're dead :C

Orv
May 4, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

I have an extremely important question about Crysis: is there any way to pick up a chicken and then gently put it down instead of punting it at the ground at 5000 mph

No, you can only go MAXIMUM CHICKEN.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Oxxidation posted:

the extremely low trophy percentages on kentucky route zero are bumming me out

It was never going to be a popular game, being a point and click graphic novel, and also they took 6 years or whatever to put all the episodes out

Not really surprising

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

StrixNebulosa posted:

I don't really remember this and not gonna reinstall it again, but try right click?

E: well, I'm actually reinstalling just to test this. Brb in 5 min.

Ye, right click drops stuff.
It was surprisingly fiddly to get running. :s In fullscreen mode it locks to 24fps. Eugh.

Sininu fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Feb 16, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

punt them in the air. chickens aren't flightless.