Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
NOW it's panic time.

edit: Rutgers survives.

Kim Jong Il fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Feb 10, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 18 days!)

evansville has now lost 12 in a row and has 0 (zero) conference wins, it was looking so good

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Kim Jong Il posted:

NOW it's panic time.

They are clearly running out of gas but Baker willed them to that one himself. Fun game to be at. If they win 3 of the last 7 you have to think they are in...

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

lol Northwestern

"Inside NU posted:

There are truly no words to summarize the heartbreak at this point.

Northwestern blew a double digit second half lead in the game’s final ten minutes and lost to Rutgers. The Wildcats were up 18 points in the first half. Up 16 in the second half. None of it mattered. They still lost.

They had a chance to win the game at the buzzer and threw up a contested 20-foot floater after calling a timeout with 10 seconds left to play. Rutgers took its first lead lead of the game in overtime and never looked back.

It’s the same old story every game. Even when Northwestern was playing well you knew it was going to end this way. This was the largest comeback for Rutgers since 1996.

That’s now seven straight losses for Northwestern and 1-11 in conference play now. The Wildcats had a golden chance to gain some critical momentum and hand Rutgers its first home loss of the season. But we can’t have nice things.

Everything is terrible.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

Peanut President posted:

evansville has now lost 12 in a row and has 0 (zero) conference wins, it was looking so good

scant consolation i know, but at least every loss makes the Kentucky upset that much funnier

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

I like the games where we fall way behind cause the postgame hype video after we win makes sure to include a bunch of shots of the other team dunking on us and draining 3s and Bruce going nuts in the locker room and the result is sick as hell
https://twitter.com/AuburnMBB/status/1226682749387526144

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

every single northwestern game has gone like this all season, fire chris collins that's why you don't hire a ratfuck duke guy

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 18 days!)

elentar posted:

scant consolation i know, but at least every loss makes the Kentucky upset that much funnier

No don't worry I am fully aware. Technically by the transitive property of sports Kentucky is worse than every team in the Valley

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
Baker plays heroball iso bullshit and I actually think he's part of the problem on offense.

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak

Peanut President posted:

No don't worry I am fully aware. Technically by the transitive property of sports Kentucky is worse than every team in the Valley

That's fair.

It could end up being the biggest upset in terms of year end ranking discrepancy. Even the Gardner Webb and San Diego losses in the Gillespie years weren't as bad, I know San Diego made the tournament that year and I thought Gardner Webb did too, or came close.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Oh great, Haliburton is out for the remainder of the season with a wrist fracture. Not that the Cyclones were doing anything anyway, but it's a huge blow. Not sure if Haliburton planned to enter the draft this year or not. He may stick around another season either way now. Sucks for him big time.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Bird in a Blender posted:

Oh great, Haliburton is out for the remainder of the season with a wrist fracture. Not that the Cyclones were doing anything anyway, but it's a huge blow. Not sure if Haliburton planned to enter the draft this year or not. He may stick around another season either way now. Sucks for him big time.

There is no way this changes his draft decision. He's being projected as a lottery pick and this draft is way too lovely for him to fall very far because of an injury that shouldn't be a chronic issue.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Tech played their worst game @ TCU earlier this season. Was definitely on their minds as they blew TCU out 88-42 in the return game. Got good minutes from our other 2 tall players (Savrasov and Tchewa), which is good for experience.

No sign of Tyreek Smith, which means he's likely heading for a redshirt.

Terrance Shannon took an uncalled and dirty shoulder to the chin and is now in concussion protocol. McCullar missed 3 games earlier this year from a similar thing. Fortunately, our next 3 games are against the bottom 3 teams in the league before we visit OU, so hopefully he's back before he's needed.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
SDSU is now 25-0 and has clinched the outright MWC title before Valentine's Day.

This might be the best SDSU team ever, even better than the Kawhi Leonard 34-3 team.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
As much as it bums me out that Roy Williams has more championships at UNC than at KU, I'm still laughing pretty hard that his off season is way, way, way worse than Bill Self's off season last year.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Tennessee might kinda stink this year but Santiago Vescovi rules

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

https://twitter.com/SEC_Craig/status/1227780007336009728
And they lost cause YOU CAN'T BEAT AUBURN IN OT

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

If West Virginia’s young players could execute an offense they would’ve won that game by 15

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
https://twitter.com/Sports_Burd/status/1227447942950346764

Ok, so he definitely busted his meniscus, ACL, well gently caress, Illinois won't have him bac-

https://twitter.com/RobDauster/status/1227720492930473984

:psyduck:

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Oh yeah also Isaac Okoro went down grabbing a hamstring on a loose ball chase with some minor if any contact and did not return which looked... inconclusive? can't tell if it was a big deal or not until we know more.

OK here's Bruce: "He didn't rip it but he could be out a little bit. We'll see how he is tomorrow."

Not great but not a disaster probably.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

kiimo posted:

If West Virginia’s young players could execute an offense they would’ve won that game by 15

To be fair, KU has the best defense in the country. I think Garrett had 5 steals in the second half.

Dr.Donkeypunch
Sep 8, 2003

Ask me about ironing shirts.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah KU’s defense is stifling. They can be so frustrating to watch on the offensive end but their defense keeps them in every game.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Wiltsghost posted:

To be fair, KU has the best defense in the country. I think Garrett had 5 steals in the second half.

I was shocked when they said that on the broadcast. I had no idea.

edit: and I wonder what criteria they're using. I see them as #8 in ppg

https://www.ncaa.com/stats/basketball-men/d1

#28 in FG% defense

http://warrennolan.com/basketball/2019/stats-def-fg-percent

and not in the top ten in rebounds, steals or blocks.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/statistics/team/_/stat/steals

Where did he get this info?

kiimo fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Feb 13, 2020

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

kiimo posted:

I was shocked when they said that on the broadcast. I had no idea.

edit: and I wonder what criteria they're using. I see them as #8 in ppg

https://www.ncaa.com/stats/basketball-men/d1

#28 in FG% defense

http://warrennolan.com/basketball/2019/stats-def-fg-percent

and not in the top ten in rebounds, steals or blocks.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/statistics/team/_/stat/steals

Where did he get this info?

Obscure college basketball website KenPom.com

They're number one in adjusted defensive efficiency which adjusts for level of competition they've faced (also pace but the Big 12 is slow af so if anything that hurts them).

https://kenpom.com/blog/ratings-glossary/

MourningView fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Feb 13, 2020

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Welp. Thanks MV

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
CJ Frederick got hurt so Iowa now has 6 healthy scholarship players and only 2 of them can score at all. So that's neat.

Garza is still absolutely incredible though. Could have been like an Elite 8 team with him playing like this and everyone healthy, but as it is they're gonna maybe limp in and get bounced immediately

MourningView fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Feb 14, 2020

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

vcu is 17-7, pretty good

top 25 in kenpom’s adjusted defense, that’s really good, please do not ask about our offense

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

northwestern's women's team is insanely good and going to make the tournament this year for the first time in a very long time, that's cool.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Declan MacManus posted:

vcu is 17-7, pretty good

top 25 in kenpom’s adjusted defense, that’s really good, please do not ask about our offense

The Big XII having 4 of the top 6 is just brutal.

1 Kansas B12 21-3
7 West Virginia B12 18-6
51 Virginia ACC 16-7
5 Baylor B12 22-1
10 Maryland B10 20-4
13 Texas Tech B12 16-8

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan

R.D. Mangles posted:

northwestern's women's team is insanely good and going to make the tournament this year for the first time in a very long time, that's cool.

That is pretty cool!

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Is Penn St actually legit good? They're #13 and I dont actually believe it

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

:razorback2: are physically incapable of winning games against other SEC teams

Gave up one against Miss St in the last second

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Is Penn St actually legit good? They're #13 and I dont actually believe it

They are pretty solid this year.

It’s a weird year, it feels like 30 teams can get hot and win it.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Tech proved once again that road games in the big XII are brutal. Lose to OSU. No bueno.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
Buzz Williams owns, keeping this A&M team at .500 is a herculean achievement

Jeff the Mediocre
Dec 30, 2013

The gently caress is this Clemson-Louisville game? Not complaining, but what?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Jeff the Mediocre posted:

The gently caress is this Clemson-Louisville game? Not complaining, but what?

Mizzou Auburn was almost as bizarre.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
Who's getting fired this year? Barring NCAA violations related ones, where I haven't been following.

Probably:

Danny Manning (Wake Forest)
Chris Collins (Northwestern)

Maybe:

Josh Pastner (Georgia Tech)
Jim Christian (BC)
Cuonzo Martin (Mizzou)
Shaka Smart (Texas)

Probably not:

Jim Larrinaga (Miami)
Bruce Weber (KSU)

I mainly care because I don't want anyone to hire Pikiell. Teams could swoon over the next few weeks, but I'd be a lot more nervous if some other ones opened.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Mizzou literally can't fire Martin when you'd normally fire someone.

quote:

Contractually, the Tigers can’t fire Martin, who was hired Wednesday and formally introduced Monday during a press conference at Mizzou Arena, without cause until May 1, 2020.

That late-spring timing all but ensures Mizzou will ride with Martin through at least 2020-21, especially since he’s owed a $6 million buyout from May 1, 2020, until April 30, 2021.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious
Mizzou's biggest win in uhh SEVEN years