Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

everythingWasBees posted:

games i have tried and failed to play bc they were too scary for me:

doom (1993)
half-life
metroid prime
bloodborne

play subnautica :unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

DRINK! ARSE! FECKIN CHRISTMAS!
It seems Contra has a new video up titled Shame. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7WvHTl_Q7I

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

Wrageowrapper posted:

It seems Contra has a new video up titled Shame. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7WvHTl_Q7I

Oh loving no...

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

ApeHawk posted:

The Doom(2016)slayer even has the best moments in the game despite never uttering a word.

His actions define his character, and it's a great depiction.

i like that he is kinda the opposite side of the coin of legit good characters out of simplistic characters. with BJ in the new wolfenstein games, who despite murdering hundreds upon hundreds of nazis, is a pretty decent dude and kinda a deep and insightful and his backstory is relitically tragic but shows how her persevered.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

doom (1993)
half-life
metroid prime
bloodborne

I used to be scared of playing first person shooters because of how easy it would be for enemies to sneak up behind me and gank me. Somehow Half-Life cured me of this fear even though enemies teleport in behind you sometimes in that game.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i like that he is kinda the opposite side of the coin of legit good characters out of simplistic characters. with BJ in the new wolfenstein games, who despite murdering hundreds upon hundreds of nazis, is a pretty decent dude and kinda a deep and insightful and his backstory is relitically tragic but shows how her persevered.

The animation work was really outstanding. They sold the essence of The Slayer being some kind of rage elemental with only a handful of gestures.

The stuff I've seen with Doom Eternal shows a lot of third-person camera during cutscenes and additional NPCs interacting with the character and... man I dunno, I hope they can retain the level of quality we saw in 2016.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Vagabundo posted:

Oh loving no...

this is going to be my reaction to all of contra's video's going forward isn't it

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

What's this bullshit one about and should anyone choose to watch it over playing some Doom, whch the thread has given me a great desire to do

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

doom (1993)
half-life
metroid prime
bloodborne

I feel so seen right now. I got Metroid Prime when I was like 10 or 11 and it took me like 4 years to actually get brave enough to actually play it through for once. My dad even printed out an entire walkthrough of it and it just sat in my nightstand for the longest time.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

RareAcumen posted:

I feel so seen right now. I got Metroid Prime when I was like 10 or 11 and it took me like 4 years to actually get brave enough to actually play it through for once. My dad even printed out an entire walkthrough of it and it just sat in my nightstand for the longest time.

Metroid Prime has excellent atmosphere though so while I find it funny, I do not blame people for finding the game tense, spooky or offputting.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The pleasure of killing nazis is far greater than the pleasure of killing demons.

Did they ever do a Wolfenstein where nazis open a portal to hell, with like a steam-powered cyberdemon as the final boss?

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

The pleasure of killing nazis is far greater than the pleasure of killing demons.

Did they ever do a Wolfenstein where nazis open a portal to hell, with like a steam-powered cyberdemon as the final boss?

Old Blood was more Nazi Occultism than New Order's Nazi Superscience, for what that's worth.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Metroid Prime owns so much. The sequels aren't bad but the first remains a tour de force.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLLE_PvJ5mY

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Also the Ubergewehr in TNC is essentially the BFG. Including the whole 'using extra-dimensional energy to make poo poo explode' aspect.

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

The java phone game Wolfenstein RPG is probably what you're thinking of.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

There's something like that in the old Wolfenstein phone rpg. The final boss is the cyberdemon from doom, but it still has his og limbs. BJ cuts off the cyberdemons arm and leg, and it retreats, implying thats the reason why the cybedemon has those metal limbs. Cuz BJ cut em off lmao.

Edit: ninjad by do not even ask

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

it's a steam-powered cybernazi, but yeah, over a decade ago.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Jamie Faith posted:

There's something like that in the old Wolfenstein phone rpg. The final boss is the cyberdemon from doom, but it still has his og limbs. BJ cuts off the cyberdemons arm and leg, and it retreats, implying thats the reason why the cybedemon has those metal limbs. Cuz BJ cut em off lmao.

Edit: ninjad by do not even ask

That’s awesome and exactly what I was hoping for.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Kim Justice posted:

What's this bullshit one about and should anyone choose to watch it over playing some Doom, whch the thread has given me a great desire to do
If you have not played doom 2016, I very highly recommend it. Plus, the post-tutorial intro is one of the best title cards I have ever seen, everything about it is perfect
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fW6X1TFRvI0

I won't say the game is perfect, while I enjoyed the later fights, the last couple levels are a bit samey, but man, that was such a minor issue when taken with the rest of the game, and to top it off it had really solid exploration and secret hunting. One of the few games I've 100%'d.

Oh, and I don't think anyone has mentioned it yet, but the soundtrack by Mick Gordon is PHENOMENAL. Like holy poo poo, it's so unbelievably good.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

It's really good and it's even just good listening to him talk about it for an hour https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4FNBMZsqrY

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I seem to recall the someone saying the Beyond the Trailer lady Grace Randolph is kind of an rear end in a top hat but having never watched her show can someone give me the lowdown on what she said that pissed people off? All my google searches pulled up was her ranting about Crazy Rich Asians but that's not what I recall people having a beef with her about

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Arcsquad12 posted:

I seem to recall the someone saying the Beyond the Trailer lady Grace Randolph is kind of an rear end in a top hat but having never watched her show can someone give me the lowdown on what she said that pissed people off? All my google searches pulled up was her ranting about Crazy Rich Asians but that's not what I recall people having a beef with her about

She’s crazy and also one of those people who gets mad about SJW’s

If I’m wrong I don’t care. She’s like the Alex Jones of movies

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

My self indulgent dream game is Wolfenstein and for some reason Frank Castle and Max Payne are there too.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I gave Max Payne 3 a whirl recently, and my god, the never-ending cut scenes. At certain points, it's *cut scene* walk down hallway *cut scene* stagger down hallway slowly due to "reasons" *cut scene.* gently caress OFF

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Vagabundo posted:

I gave Max Payne 3 a whirl recently, and my god, the never-ending cut scenes. At certain points, it's *cut scene* walk down hallway *cut scene* stagger down hallway slowly due to "reasons" *cut scene.* gently caress OFF

They hide loading screens.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Kim Justice posted:

Her coming out as a lesbian, her personal feelings of shame that kept her from embracing that aspect of her life, and the concept of “compulsory heterosexuality” (with references to the “Am I A Lesbian” masterdoc.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

They hide loading screens.

I get that, but it doesn’t make them any less obnoxious or frustrating due to how frequent they are.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Vagabundo posted:

The Gunplay and weight to Max's movements are great, but replaying it is a slog with all those cutscenes.

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

"You'll never know if you can fly unless you take the risk of falling."

Solitair posted:

this is going to be my reaction to all of contra's video's going forward isn't it

It's also my reaction to jump scares in video games.

I might've been kicked out of a spooky place for swinging at a scare actor, and that also transcended to spooky games, where even the drat piano in Mario 64 knocks me out.

The most recent Doom has a few jump points, but it's so rediculous and stupid, that I just love it, because it's kind of like playing on God Mode as you decapitate monster after monster

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Who / what is Shaun talking about here?

https://twitter.com/shaun_vids/status/1228988592560668673?s=20

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

like so many people.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

This place.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...
Difference of course being that most people in prison are there unjustly for survival crimes, while most people who are virulently racist really, really enjoy their racism and will give up their lives and comfort to get more hits of those sweet sweet racism endorphins.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Wrageowrapper posted:

Feeling ashamed for how other people, who share some traits with you act, and how that may reflect on you, is very recognizable.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Wrageowrapper posted:

THoughts: Do you care? Do you really care enough to post this? Cause we might as well just nuke the thread now.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

IIRC isn't the original Cyberdemon supposed to literally be Wolfenstein's Hitler? He died, went to hell and you kill him all over again.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

BigRed0427 posted:

THoughts: Do you care? Do you really care enough to post this? Cause we might as well just nuke the thread now.

For a person who's been "cancelled" she sure is still visible

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

BigRed0427 posted:

This thread goes in cycles and I have accepted this

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

While I loved Doom 2016. The original doom cyberdemon was more iconic in its design and I would rather have seen an updated version of that. The 2016 one looks more like a lumpy alien than a demon. The original cyberdemon gives more occult hell merged with machine vibes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

BigRed0427 posted:

fair's fair, the neurotypicals itt don't kick up a fuss every time someone posts an inane junior high book report on a 2000s video game

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)