Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

A real bullshit win when Sound and Fury came out around the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Hedrigall posted:

Toy sotry four won best animat rip

What were the other candidates?

Edit: NVM, looked it up. Klaus should've won.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Toy Story was a non-committal shrug. The real animation of 2019 people will give a poo poo about in future will be Klaus. Toy Story didn't make me feel anything.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

theblackw0lf posted:

So has anyone seen Weathering With You yet? It’s the new film from the creator of Your Name.’

Even if you like his style, the ending is really, really bad.

hallelujah
Jan 26, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
two things i liked about your name were the quiet implication that the storyline had been playing out over and over again across the years, with the area around the town pocked by ancient meteor craters and a few mentions of weird dreams in the family history; and the scene near the end where they're running around the crater in each other's bodies, yelling out each other's names in each other's voices. aside from that i liked the art, and, well,

Giant Metal Robot
Jun 14, 2005

Taco Defender
I saw Belladonna of Sadness recently and have been thinking about how one sequence was made.

https://giphy.com/gifs/p5irQ1Yl4ca0o/html5

To me, it looks like gold leaf. Is that really how this was done?

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Robindaybird posted:

I would absolutely love to see Soma Cruz, the sorrow games were my favorite out of the IGA-era, but I'd definitely want a proper build up.

The conversation has moved on but hear me out.

Richter. 1999. :unsmigghh:

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

A Sometimes Food posted:

The conversation has moved on but hear me out.

Richter. 1999. :unsmigghh:

He would've been dead for a LONG time by then sir. I think you mean Julius. A

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

doomrider7 posted:

He would've been dead for a LONG time by then sir. I think you mean Julius. A

rip. I did.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

In which case, Richter, 1792.

Or Simon, 1691, either way.

(...Christopher, 1576?)

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Giant Metal Robot posted:

I saw Belladonna of Sadness recently and have been thinking about how one sequence was made.

https://giphy.com/gifs/p5irQ1Yl4ca0o/html5

To me, it looks like gold leaf. Is that really how this was done?

I'm not entirely sure (there's not a lot of in-depth info on Belladonna's production that I'm aware of), but that's definitely what it looks like and it would be pretty on-brand for the movie.

e: Also, re Castlevania chat, I'm pretty sure we're getting Curse of Darkness this season, Simon next, and then probably going into Rondo/Symphony from there. They're very very definitely doing Rondo/Symphony at some point, because they went kinda out of their way to animate all the stuff from CV3 that comes back in SotN in season 2.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Feb 11, 2020

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

and Alucard's backslide/step was most certainly a reference to his move in SotN.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Apparently the Sonic film is not-terrible. I mean, we're talking "64% and thus "Fresh" on Rotten Tomatoes" here, not "genuinely great", but it's honestly better than I was expecting it to fare with critics. Doesn't unseat Detective Pikachu at 69%, though.

In more depressing news, I guess Laika is run by TERFs? It's not the point of this Twitter thread, but, like, that's their logo, and people have checked the site the images are from and it links to the correct webpages for Laika and everything. Not a good look.

https://twitter.com/LisaTMullin/status/1228108109479993344

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
does any of their media link back is the actual question. you can link to anything.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
https://twitter.com/LaythAlnajjar/status/1228164092751269890?s=20
https://twitter.com/LaythAlnajjar/status/1228165785811484679?s=20

these replies seem relevant, though some stuff in Boxtrolls is having people not give them as much benefit of the doubt

edit: looking at the actual site, both Laika and L.A.I.G.A are separate listings, so probably not actually a mix up

edit 2: then again
https://twitter.com/nononoagh/status/1228160319039500289?s=20
https://twitter.com/nononoagh/status/1228161285289734146?s=20

edit 3: basically I'm prepared for either possibility

edit 4: yeah there's a real life group called the "Laika Publishing House" that has nothing to do with Laika (the animation studio)

Digamma-F-Wau fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Feb 14, 2020

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Googling "Laika Publishing Company" only results in that signatory and reposts of it, so I'm wondering if someone screwed up the name, passed it to someone who said "oh, LAIKA, I know them" and gave it that image and URL. It really sticks out on that page, almost all of the other ones are of feminist groups.

I sure loving hope it's not them, anyway! If it really is a mistake holy moly LAIKA needs to slap that down immediately.

quote:

edit 4: yeah there's a real life group called the "Laika Publishing House" that has nothing to do with Laika (the animation studio)

Some small Turkish publisher fits way closer to the rest of the signatories.

Pigbuster fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Feb 14, 2020

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

their twitter seems active enough that they might reply to this
https://twitter.com/DigammaFWau/status/1228170758632824834

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
well the important thing is that we spread stuff around and fly off the handle and make assumptions before like emailing them or something

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Shadow Hog posted:

Apparently the Sonic film is not-terrible. I mean, we're talking "64% and thus "Fresh" on Rotten Tomatoes" here, not "genuinely great", but it's honestly better than I was expecting it to fare with critics. Doesn't unseat Detective Pikachu at 69%, though.
It's getting the reception I expected it to get based on the trailers. Nothing spectacular. Just a perfectly fine movie that will be acceptable to the parents and fun for the kids. :shrug:

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Darth TNT posted:

It's getting the reception I expected it to get based on the trailers. Nothing spectacular. Just a perfectly fine movie that will be acceptable to the parents and fun for the kids. :shrug:

My 4 and 8 year olds loved the movie and the nods and one liners were surprisingly witty.

I for the life of me can’t wrap my head around the plot and setting. It was such a departure from the original games and cartoons that it may as well be a different property. The subtle dig at Mario was amusing.

gohmak fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Feb 14, 2020

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Here’s hoping it pops up on YouTube soon, but for now...

https://twitter.com/NXOnNetflix/status/1228363018855018497

E: here we go for YT:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYNGDUIBUhE

Regalingualius fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Feb 14, 2020

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Anyone seen the trailers for call of the wild?

Now before anything else, I'm very pro using CGI animals instead of real ones for what would be potentially dangerous stunt scenes, but there's things when there's no danger and Buck's just interacting with Ford or running that it's very clear he's CGI or 'enhanced' and the one scene of the Husky suddenly scowling like a human that looks loving awful and obvious.

Why are we doing this when there's no need for it?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It looks turbo bad as hell

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

https://twitter.com/LAIKAStudios/status/1228384100999806976

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Regalingualius posted:

Here’s hoping it pops up on YouTube soon, but for now...

https://twitter.com/NXOnNetflix/status/1228363018855018497

E: here we go for YT:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYNGDUIBUhE

Looks fun enough. :)

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Shadow Hog posted:

I can confirm that I loved it and thought it was great, however I'm also a big dumb Sonic fanboy 4life so

King Crab
Nov 12, 2005

lets pretend i didnt say that and lets als0 pretend it isnt inevitable
The new dragon quest movie was pretty good looking!

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

The Dragon Quest movie was good looking, but whoof is it poorly paced at the start, and that twist at the end was pretty dumb.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

yeah, there's no reason to really do the twist as imho the game's original story is pretty drat good and doesn't need any punch ups.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Robindaybird posted:

yeah, there's no reason to really do the twist as imho the game's original story is pretty drat good and doesn't need any punch ups.

Also, if they were going to do it, it probably should have happened much earlier in the movie so it could at least be somewhat justified. I wonder if they did it because they didn't want a canon story for the game. That would be super lame.

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Macaluso posted:

I can confirm that I loved it and thought it was great, however I'm also a big dumb Sonic fanboy 4life so

Yeah, it's not a great movie by any stretch of the imagination, but I enjoyed the hell out of it and Jim Carrey absolutely kills it as Robotnik. Also, it's a short, sweet 100 minutes - movie studios take note! Not every blockbuster needs to be two hours plus!!

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Birds of Prey is only 100 minutes though I wish it were longer. Preferably with more of the Crossbow Killer.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I watched Frozen 2 last night and I can't remember what happened except for the scene where Elsa tames the water horse. There were a lot of songs though. I feel like there were too many actually, and I kinda just zonked out because of that I think.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
My screening of Sonic at 9:30pm was still full of very loud kids who talked throughout, and a crying baby that thankfully stopped before the trailers ended.

Film is not terrible, I had fun.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Robindaybird posted:

Anyone seen the trailers for call of the wild?

Now before anything else, I'm very pro using CGI animals instead of real ones for what would be potentially dangerous stunt scenes, but there's things when there's no danger and Buck's just interacting with Ford or running that it's very clear he's CGI or 'enhanced' and the one scene of the Husky suddenly scowling like a human that looks loving awful and obvious.

Why are we doing this when there's no need for it?

It’s not enhanced the way the new Lady and the Tramp is, it’s full cg all around. Client probably wanted more acting out of the dog, plus all those sledding shots it wouldn’t be practical to use real animals for. I don’t mind the look though I’m not at all interested in dogsled movies

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Again no objections to the use of CGI animals for sled scenes, it's just the dogs look too loving unnatural outside of those.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Togo on Disney+ had a good mix of real dogs for acting scenes and CGI dogs for sledding scenes (as well as some breathtaking CGI scenery and weather stuff)

It’s a pretty drat good little adventure movie

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
The trailer for Call of the Wild has that ‘floating’ CGI look I haven’t seen for a while. Like the lighting needs another couple of passes for Buck to actually look like he’s part of the scene and not just pasted on top.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I enjoyed Sonic a ton. It made me think of the director's tweet about the backlash and really wanting to get Sonic right. After seeing the movie, I feel like that tweet was made sincerely and not just some kind of marketing ploy. All the performances were great, and I knew the after credits stinger was either going to be Tails or Knuckles, so as a younger brother relegated to playing Tails all the time I was over the moon that it was Tails and that he was as fast as Sonic (as he had to be in the games).

Carrey being 90s Carrey was great too and I can't wait for the sequel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I liked little things like Sonic's shoes being a torn up hodgepodge of random sneakers poorly duct taped together. Also Robotnik seems like he's embarking on the same arc as Lex Luthor from Lois and Clark: The New Adventures of Superman in the 90s. Starting off as a highly respected individual having to try to play with others and work as a team, or at least look like a functional adult. Then in Superman Lex dies and after he is reborn due to his staff being that loyal, he just gives up all pretense as Lex Luthor is now legally dead and has no reason to hide that he's a total lunatic. Seems Robotnik in any future works is going to go Full Batshit Crazy with bonkers animal robots and trying to build ludicrous theme parks and poo poo, just like Lex shaving his head and going full comic book madness, like trying to trick an amnesiac Lois Lane into marrying him.