Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oct 28, 2003

Just posting to say next sunday is the deadline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

:nws:
et voila

lofi fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Feb 15, 2020

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

I did a few for this.

and

Going with the last one for the submission. My little homage to The Lighthouse.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Those two are amazing!

I think every winner has a gangtag (or one queued), let me know if I miss one - easiest way is to pm me :)

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
Can I get an exact deadline, please?

Oct 28, 2003

midnight pacific time

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
This also counts as my Nick Cage for today

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

I'm not entering this round, but can we have it clarified on whether you're allowed to upload several pictures or change your entry once you've uploaded it?

Because there are things I would have changed about my entry last round if I'd known that we were allowed to ignore that rule (including one that Lofi complained about, because it bugged me from the moment I uploaded), so it was a bit annoying to see people change their submission.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
not finished, unfortunately

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Angrymog posted:

I'm not entering this round, but can we have it clarified on whether you're allowed to upload several pictures or change your entry once you've uploaded it?

Because there are things I would have changed about my entry last round if I'd known that we were allowed to ignore that rule (including one that Lofi complained about, because it bugged me from the moment I uploaded), so it was a bit annoying to see people change their submission.

It's up to each judge to decide how strict they want to be. I've been pretty relaxed with it when I'm judging, because this is a contest with no real stakes and I want to encourage more people to enter, and because I prefer a chilled out vibe. There isn't any final authority to clarify because it's a group run thing.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Flavius Aetass posted:

:discourse:

Oct 28, 2003

Really great work everyone, I'll try to get the critiques done and pick a winner by this evening.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Angrymog posted:

Like lofi said this is a rule that's been handled at the discretion of each judge. That said we DO ignore it an awful lot so I've updated the official rule to the following:

:siren:Do NOT edit your work after the submission deadline. Also if you do make any changes let us know so the judge critiques the right version of your work.:siren:

E: Now that I think about it the reason that rule probably existed in TD was because short stories actually take a decent chunk of time and energy to read and people updating their work would mean you'd have to reread the whole thing from the beginning which could get VERY annoying very quickly. This isn't really an issue with visual art though so I think we're OK to change it for now.

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Feb 17, 2020

Oct 28, 2003

I'm new here, but I agree. I want to see more art.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Also in td its way easier to have an iron hard rule around not even going in to fix a comma bc it's impossible to tell what's changed. Imo no changes after the closing point is good for this thread, but up to the judges

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

I mean - iteration is great and everything but I still always have my last one done by midnight pacific time.
Would have loved to laser burned my entry but just didn't have the time to drive back to where the burner is. Was thinking about laser burning a very high contrast rendering of Peter Lorre but ultimately decided against it. I do sorta wish I had used charcoal instead of graphite for this one though.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Feb 17, 2020

Oct 28, 2003

readingatwork posted:

Really great submissions from everyone, but this one is the winner. I'll write up some critiques soon.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
Good pick. It really is fantastic.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

readingatwork posted:

Congratulations! I was / am looking forward to your interpretation of Mandy. Also - if you haven't seen Color Out of Space, it isn't bad either!

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Woohoo! Finally got one! :toot::toot::toot:

I'll get a prompt written up either tonight or tomorrow depending on how much overtime I have to put in today.

sigma 6 posted:

Congratulations! I was / am looking forward to your interpretation of Mandy. Also - if you haven't seen Color Out of Space, it isn't bad either!

Mandy is great and definitely on my list of Nick Cages to draw. Color Out of Space isn't available to stream over here until the end of the month but that's definitely one I'm going to check out when I get the chance.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

138 posted:

Really great submissions from everyone, but this one is the winner. I'll write up some critiques soon.

You are good at judging stuff.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
:siren:Prompt 14: Create a page from your graphic novel:siren:

So in this scenario I'm an incredibly wealthy comic book business dude looking to put the next big series into print. You might think I'd do something incredibly lame and stupid like carefully reading my submissions to determine if they're good or have mass appeal but that kind of thinking is why I'm rich and you're still working for pennies at the poverty factory (that and a substantial inheritance). No, I do an entire fistfull of cocaine directly out of my hand, grab a random comic from my stack, and open to a single random page which I will then base my entire decision on.

Your job is to create the page that will inspire me to throw a small fortune into printing and marketing your work.

The rules are as follows:

1) You only get one page
2) Color and black and white submissions are both acceptable
3) This can't be from a preexisting property or contain preexisting characters. Not even if it's something you yourself made.
4) You may include a short elevator pitch for your series if you'd like but put it in spoiler tags so I can guess what it is before reading it. Remember, I have a short attention span so keep it short and sweet.
5) *UPDATE* Comic strips, webcomics, and single-panel comics are also acceptable if you don't have time to do a full sized page.

Submissions will be judged based on the following criteria:

1) If I want to read more of your book
2) Clarity/Readability (is what you made confusing or hard to parse?)
3) Character designs
4) Expressiveness
5) Dialogue, if present
6) Panel layout and composition

Art fundamentals like anatomy, color harmony and whatnot will still matter but they won't be as important as you think. I value originality and how much fun I have reading your work above all else so a complete noob can win over the most seasoned art school graduate if they play their hand well.

You should also know that I have a pretty wide range of comics I like both in terms of style and genre so don't worry about pandering to me. There's a place in my heart for both sugary cuteness and Lovecraftian body horror so feel free to do your own thing. If it helps though here are some comics who's art I love:

(I'm not kidding when I say you don't need perfect fundamentals to make me love your work)

You will need to sign up by Sunday, March 8th and submit by Sunday March 22th at midnight PST! Good luck!

:siren:UPDATE: I have pushed the deadline back a bit to give people enough time to put something together. I have also updated the rules to allow for newspaper strips, webcomics, and single-panel comics for people who don't have the time for a traditional full page.

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Feb 24, 2020

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

readingatwork posted:

You will need to sign up by Sunday, March 1st and submit by Sunday March 8th at midnight PST! Good luck!
That is all pretty tight but count me in.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Since people aren't feeling this prompt how would people feel if I swapped it out for something different? I have a couple others we can do so it's not a huge deal to me either way. Some of the ones I have in my back pocket are "Character design", "Draw something scary: or "Make some fanart" (we'd lift the ban just this once).

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Yeah, I've done comics a bit and a page is a LOT of work - didn't want to say that and turn people off, but something simpler might work better.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

lofi posted:

Yeah, I've done comics a bit and a page is a LOT of work - didn't want to say that and turn people off, but something simpler might work better.

Fair enough, I can see how that might be a lot to ask. If that's the case then we have a few options:

1) I can update the prompt so that newspaper comic strips, one panel comics, etc count which would make it easier for people that don't want to do 7 full-color panels.

2) I can change the prompt so that it's we're now designing a comic book cover instead of the pages themselves (which will still let me see what neat worlds/characters you guys can come up with)

3) We can do something else entirely. Somebody on Discord mentioned "Redesign a popular character" and frankly that idea is rad as hell.

Let me know what you guys think. I can also push back the deadline by a couple weeks if people feel that would be helpful.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
I like #1. I don't dislike the original idea, but yeah it got me thinking about how much time I'll have.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

I like the sound of 3, redesigning sounds rad.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
After thinking it over I'm going to go with #1 since I really want to see what worlds and characters people can come up with (I also want to see if I can get some BSS people in here). I'll update the prompt in a few mins.

Also the submission deadline is now March 22 so that should give people a more reasonable amount of time to get something put together.

Edit: I still love the character redesign idea though so somebody should definitely do that at some point. I will 100% participate in that one.

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Feb 24, 2020

Oct 28, 2003

Okay, getting the critiques in at the last minute. I haven't really talked art with people in years so don't expect much except for praise. I was really pleased with all of the entries.

I love the distortion of the body in this one and how it contrasts with the relative realism of the head. It creates a nice visual tension. What medium is this? The background almost seems like smeared ink or very fine charcoal. I really can't think of anything different I would have done.

sigma 6 posted:

I did a few for this.

and

Going with the last one for the submission. My little homage to The Lighthouse.
These are both great, I think you picked the best of the two. Your work on the hair is amazing. The eyes and general facial expression as well. I would have liked to see a bit more of a neck/shoulders.

readingatwork posted:

I had a tough time deciding between this and the previous one but in the end my love of block prints pushed this one into first place. You did a great job of capturing the essence of german expressionist printing.

Flavius Aetass posted:

When I first saw this I instantly started laughing and then felt a sense of shame for recognizing everything in it. I've spent the last 20 minutes or so trying to find the painting it reminds me of. It's pretty great as is but I would love to see the finished work if you haven't given up on it.

This was tough to judge. Thanks for all the great work.

Johnny-on-the-Spot
Apr 17, 2015

That feeling when he opens
the door for you
I'm down to do a comic book page. I have something I'm work-shopping already and this'll be a nice push to do some real work on it.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

My medium was charcoal on smooth newsprint, I rubbed the background with tissue to smooth it out. Good, innit? :)

Oct 28, 2003

I can't wait to try it out.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I've been totally dragging my feet on a Medieval/plague comic strip idea so I'm down with some motivation.

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

I'm in for this one too.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Sign me up for comix

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Yeah, go on then! :)

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
poo poo yeah I'll sign up for this. LET'S GET IT DONE.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

I am going to participate in Artdome March 2020. Have a very good day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Reluctantly in. I used to draw comics... it's just been sooooo long.