Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Van Horn doesn’t have lawmen and the residents don’t report crimes. When they saw you looting the body it’s that triggered their version of the law which is everyone going ham on your rear end.

Maybe it's different in Online than the story, but the law always gets mad at me after I look at a Van Horn resident funny, they draw down, one thing leads to another and the whole town gets killed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

yeah online i really try to keep it holstered at van horn. honest i do. its not my fault the town is fuckin literally a shooting gallery. seriously.
same with thieves landing actually. again not my fault!

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
So who is Ned?

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Ned's dead, baby!

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
Who's Morgan is this?

It's a chopper, baby.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

ElTacoGato posted:

Glad it wasn't just me, then, thanks!

Them Van Horn folk need to lay off the booze if it's making them that cranky. :argh:

Its the entire RDR2 thing where its your fault even if you are defending yourself when some random stranger goes crazy.

In story mode, I stayed overnight at the Blackwater saloon room, and started to walk out of the building. One of the patrons left the cards table just before me, and by the staircase decided that I was following him by going towards the exit. The guy yelled at me and hit me several times, so I kicked him down the stairs, and then he started to shoot at me. No-one gave a gently caress, but when I shot back, and the entire city went immediately berserk. End result was a shootout with loving everything and a 100+ bounty.

Because I decided to wake up, get out of bed and leave the hotel room.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Nothing in this game is more dangerous than riding your horse at speed in saint denis. People will throw themselves into your path like Russian insurance fraudsters and then suddenly you’re public enemy #1.

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Fertilizing threads since 2010

Der Kyhe posted:

Its the entire RDR2 thing where its your fault even if you are defending yourself when some random stranger goes crazy.

In story mode, I stayed overnight at the Blackwater saloon room, and started to walk out of the building. One of the patrons left the cards table just before me, and by the staircase decided that I was following him by going towards the exit. The guy yelled at me and hit me several times, so I kicked him down the stairs, and then he started to shoot at me. No-one gave a gently caress, but when I shot back, and the entire city went immediately berserk. End result was a shootout with loving everything and a 100+ bounty.

Because I decided to wake up, get out of bed and leave the hotel room.

This poo poo is one of my few complaints about this game

YOU BUMPED INTO ME FELLER THAT MEANS I CAN EXECUTE YOU

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Ainsley McTree posted:

Nothing in this game is more dangerous than riding your horse at speed in saint denis. People will throw themselves into your path like Russian insurance fraudsters and then suddenly you’re public enemy #1.

:agreed:

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
The game kind of actively turorializes that the witness/bounty system is not 100% fair. When you collect the debt off the guy at Emerald Ranch, someone will try to tell the authorities even though the actions are mostly legal but are shady.

I mostly like the impact because:

1) It really pushes you to keep a low profile. You will get into trouble if you just slam through doors and poo poo and run your house down the street
2) I like how much you have to think about robbing people or stores
3) The cases of small things escalating out of control feels real to life

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Doing crime successfully comes down to doing the it at night and out of sight.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
With Valentine, I do a lot of robbing during the day so I can get a good check for potential witnesses. It's more about staying on the outskirts. If you check for witnesses, it's pretty easy to rob people behind the saloon or in the alley between the saloon and the general store. You can also easily just grab folks in the more residential Valentine sprawl.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Ainsley McTree posted:

This got extra bad with an update that really seems to have holdover code from the import/export update for GTAO where NPC traffic would intentionally pull into your lane to gently caress over the value of the car you're trying to sell.

Now it's just horses crossing dirt roads to try and run into you.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Capn Beeb posted:

This got extra bad with an update that really seems to have holdover code from the import/export update for GTAO where NPC traffic would intentionally pull into your lane to gently caress over the value of the car you're trying to sell.

Now it's just horses crossing dirt roads to try and run into you.

Holy poo poo, I thought I was going crazy but that's actually what's happening.

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal

Deakul posted:

Holy poo poo, I thought I was going crazy but that's actually what's happening.

They used to slide over to your side of the road. Now they just seem to stop and turn and just outright block the entire road.

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

How do you mercy kill an animal in online? Is there a special knife I need to buy or what? because I'm tired of waiting for animals to die and then getting an hit to my honour for a bleedout.

Do I need that "Lance Knife" to do it? I don't want to waste gold on it if it's just a cosmetic thing.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Regular hunting knife should be fine? You should get a prompt in the bottom right.

PlisskensEyePatch
Oct 10, 2012
I've never gotten the mercy kill option Online. Always figured it just wasn't a thing for some reason.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

You can't mercy kill online and it is so dumb. If it's one star or a resupply mission animal I just stomp it to death.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

u can mercy kill online but only at the white dots where the animal gives u an arrowhead far as i know

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Dragonstoned posted:

How do you mercy kill an animal in online? Is there a special knife I need to buy or what? because I'm tired of waiting for animals to die and then getting an hit to my honour for a bleedout.

Do I need that "Lance Knife" to do it? I don't want to waste gold on it if it's just a cosmetic thing.

Aim your gun at the animal's head, it allegedly makes it bleed out faster.

It's loving dumb and I wish I could just help them along when I botch a shot :(

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Pop it in the head with a small game arrow?

BONK

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Great moment tonight. Was riding to my camp in the Bayou, see another player standing just outside it on the minimap but don't see him on the screen because he's on the other side of those vine-y trees. Come around the trees at full speed and crash right into him, he and his horse both go flying about 15 feet backwards and I casually drift to a stop. I watch him get up expecting he's probably going to shoot me but instead he gives me a thumbs up and gets on his horse. I tip my hat and he rides off.

This game has to have the best pubbies of any game I've ever played.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

drat, guess I should've finished the online story before it became a ghost town and my friends abandoned the game due to bugs. I'll just deliver some moonshine instead-- oh, nevermind. :rockstar:

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Can my friends drive and use my hunting cart if we are in a posse?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

48 kills. Loses. He sent me this. Basically translated that winning isn't important. Only the kills.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

PaybackJack posted:

Great moment tonight. Was riding to my camp in the Bayou, see another player standing just outside it on the minimap but don't see him on the screen because he's on the other side of those vine-y trees. Come around the trees at full speed and crash right into him, he and his horse both go flying about 15 feet backwards and I casually drift to a stop. I watch him get up expecting he's probably going to shoot me but instead he gives me a thumbs up and gets on his horse. I tip my hat and he rides off.

This game has to have the best pubbies of any game I've ever played.

Zesty posted:

48 kills. Loses. He sent me this. Basically translated that winning isn't important. Only the kills.

Does not compute

(Luckily I meet 99% people of the first kind, I actually enjoy seeing other players because either we don't interact at all, or we do so in a friendly and nice way)

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
Welpo, back in after a week in the hospital, and cheaters! One turned me into a log :catstare:, teleported me a few times, dropped about 25-30 dead panthers on me, and then set me and (some of) the kittehs on fire.but then he either got bored with my lack of response, got kicked or his server disconnected. Logginess ended after a fast travel, and I got 1 perfect carcass and 22 or so perfect pelts, so Cripps was happy.

Other cheater dropped a chest in the middle of the road in Strawberry, chock full of rewards; all told, I got about $5k, $60+ gold, and a bunch of ammo/potions. We'll see if Rockstar fucks me about either of these things, but now I have a bunch of pamphlets.

Waiting on a callback from the doc so I can't play yet, but I'm off work for a while longer so I can maybe try story missions or getting my Bounty Hunter level up.

Ygolonac fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Feb 18, 2020

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

Dragonstoned posted:

I just run up to the animal with my knife out, look at it, and press attack. One stab is enough to kill a bleeding out animal in one hit without losing honor.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Dragonstoned posted:

All the knives are cosmetic knives, no worries on that.

Jawbone knife best knife

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Ygolonac posted:

Welpo, back in after a week in the hospital, and cheaters! One turned me into a log :catstare:, teleported me a few times, dropped about 25-30 dead panthers on me, and then set me and (some of) the kittehs on fire.but then he either got bored with my lack of response, got kicked or his server disconnected. Logginess ended after a fast travel, and I got 1 perfect carcass and 22 or so perfect pelts, so Cripps was happy.

Other cheater dropped a chest in the middle of the road in Strawberry, chock full of rewards; all told, I got about $5k, $60+ gold, and a bunch of ammo/potions. We'll see if Rockstar fucks me about either of these things, but now I have a bunch of pamphlets.

Waiting on a callback from the doc so I can't play yet, but I'm off work for a while longer so I can maybe try story missions or getting my Bounty Hunter level up.

The one thing R* tends to gently caress you on is anomalously high money earning, because that's where their money comes from. Griefers tend to get away with it.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
You can launder the money into clothes and items though.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

The Repo Man posted:

I just run up to the animal with my knife out, look at it, and press attack. One stab is enough to kill a bleeding out animal in one hit without losing honor.

Doesn’t that lower pelt quality?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

In my experience, yes. If a one star animal is taking its time to bleed out, i just curb stomp it.

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

Vahakyla posted:

Can my friends drive and use my hunting cart if we are in a posse?

Drive, maybe but I don't think you can stow anything. I tried loading a carcass into my posse leader's wagon and it wouldn't let me. I had to drop it on the ground so they could pick it up and stow it.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Dick Jones posted:

Drive, maybe but I don't think you can stow anything. I tried loading a carcass into my posse leader's wagon and it wouldn't let me. I had to drop it on the ground so they could pick it up and stow it.
This is an option somewhere in the player menu, you can set whether you want randoms/friends/no one to have access to your horse and carts.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Doesn’t that lower pelt quality?

marshmallow creep posted:

In my experience, yes. If a one star animal is taking its time to bleed out, i just curb stomp it.

As far as my understanding goes, and I could certainly be wrong, anything beyond a clean kill lowers pelt/carcass quality. I've never had a 3 star get killed in any manner that wasn't a headshot or lasso and have it's pelt remain a 3 star. Well, except for land animals that you can kill with the varmint rifle. Shoot a squirrel in the tail? 3 stars! Shoot a rabbit in the foot? My friend, that's 3 stars for you!

Is it possible to mercy kill an animal and not reduce it's pelt rating?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I don't think animal carcasses lose quality if you just let it bleed out when you gently caress up your shot. Didn't seem to do so for me. The only rules seem to be "hit it with the right kind of weapon" and "only hit it once"

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

rdr online is hands down the best non-functioning cotton candy bells n whistles game that doesn't work that i own

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

and i will be attempting to log in once again shortly

stupid sexy rdr