Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/THR/status/1228714381762015232

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Probably going to make better money than Detective Pikachu, considering it's not trying to compete with freaking Endgame.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I'm sure all those overworked CG artists will be seeing a nice bonus from that.

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009

feedmyleg posted:

I'm sure all those overworked CG artists will be seeing a nice bonus from that.

The VFX studio that did the redesign closed down around christmas.

lomzus fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Feb 15, 2020

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

lomzus posted:

The VFX studio that did the resign closed down around christmas.

I'm pretty sure that's the joke.

I still want to hear what was going on with the original design and who thought that was a good idea. Maybe they got the idea from the Werehog.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yup. They need a union loving stat.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'm pretty sure that's the joke.

I still want to hear what was going on with the original design and who thought that was a good idea. Maybe they got the idea from the Werehog.

I'm guessing some exec forced them to make the design "realistic" over their screaming protests about how terrible it would look, and then that same exec ordered them to "fix" the mistake he forced them to make.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
tfw sonic makes more money than godzilla

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Is it gonna make more money than Birds of Prey?

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
^its opening day did 60% better

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

The Peccadillo posted:

Who did they recast as Villechaize?

Michael Pena is both Mr. Rourke and Tattoo.

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

Gatts posted:

Is it gonna make more money than Birds of Prey?

I saw a double feature last night: Sonic and Birds of Prey.

I know there's no way I can alter the numbers, but when you compare them can you please mentally remove the cost of one ticket from BoP and add it to Sonic? I don't want my money counted towards the BoP numbers, but I got some genuine laughs out of Sonic.

BoP? Bad movie. Not even a fun bad. Just bad bad.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Young Freud posted:

Michael Pena is both Mr. Rourke and Tattoo.

Should have cast Benedict Cumberbatch.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

Sonic can suck the poo poo out of my rear end in a top hat

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

IshmaelZarkov posted:

BoP? Bad movie. Not even a fun bad. Just bad bad.

I just got out of seeing it for the second time and you're an insane person

Like, unless you just utterly cannot stand Robbie as Harley or get thrown off by the anachronic order (which admittedly did make it a little hard to follow the first time), I can't think of anything to dislike

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Like, unless you just utterly cannot stand Robbie as Harley or get thrown off by the anachronic order (which admittedly did make it a little hard to follow the first time), I can't think of anything to dislike

It’s unfocused and self-consciously zany. Most of the first act could have been excised from the movie without losing anything.

I like the actors involved and the movie has its individual moments but BoP is “okay” at best.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

It's pretty loving boring and nothing about it hooked me. I like Robbie, but yeah. It's not that good a movie.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

It's not the anachronic order that's hard to follow, it's that it's papering over lazy writing.

Like, Harley will say, "Oh, wait, I forgot to tell you how Dinah is now working with Renee, let me re-wind to show you how that happened." And then we're shown how it happened, and it's just Renee saying, "You need to help me," and Dinah is all like "Nah, cops suck," and Renee is like, "Yeah, but not me," and then somewhere along the line in a way that still isn't actually portrayed, Dinah is like, "Yeah, sure, why not?"

In a certain light, yes, these turns of events are hard to follow, but it's not a function of structure. It's a function of what's already there in the film not actually being substantial in and of itself in terms of making the convergence of these five distinct narratives feel motivated. What we get is all primarily expository, and even then, the expositional justification for how characters behave is (deliberately) thin.

It's a tale as old as time: How the crazy clown lady gets into this clusterfuck situation isn't something that requires a "background" on literally everyone in the supporting cast. Having Harley be there to literally mute the chaotic spectacle by explaining what's going on is a lot less interesting than, like, having Harley being caught up in a bunch of chaos, and being like, "Who the gently caress are all these people?"

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Legit, if you liked it, I am happy for you.

Robbie was... fine? The storytelling order I kinda liked? Ewan McGregor was fun? But everything else?

The whole 'Canary doesn't user her powers' thing needed to be dropped or given more than a line of 'My mum worked with the cops and then died'. Mary Elizabeth Winstead could have filmed all her stuff over two days, and wasting MEW in a film should be an executable offence. Cassandra Cain as a boppy pickpocket was not exactly what I was hoping to see from a character who's usualy best described as being composed entirely out of murder. The action had a couple of bits that were fun, but was otherwise nothing we haven't seen done before and better. Zsasz dropping his 'I saved a space for you' thing on Harley, rather than that being his whole Bats thing. Also, cmon, just shave Zsasz. We all love Anthony Carrigan, so at least pretend to be a bit more like that. The third act team up where they had guns on each other one moment then thirty seconds later they're working as a well-oiled machine just felt rushed, which given how much the film dragged was a surprise.

But the reall kicker for me? The Birds of Prey not really being in the movie. They show the team up practically as a post-credits thing. The BoP aren't a thing in their own film. It's a Harley vehicle, and if they replaced Canary, Montoya, and Huntress with any three other characters it wouldn't have made a drat bit of difference to the plot. Just call it the Fantabumous Emancipation of Harley Quinn! That's all it is, and that's such a goddamn waste of potential.

I'm glad you got something out of it, cause I love loving movies, but I genuinely hated this film.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

So is Sonic actually good or is there just nothing out for kids movies on a long weekend?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Most reviews seems to indicate that Sonic is the 'okay' movie, that is mostly a vehicle for Jim Carrey to be gloriously Riddler/Ace Ventura zany again.

One review I heard says that it's the kind of movie you will love as a kid but probably more meh about it later as an adult. And probably love again after that once it gets mined for memes.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

HannibalBarca posted:

tfw sonic makes more money than godzilla

Also cue the arguments that Sonic is a kaiju

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I liked Birds of Prey, but the whole time watching it, it felt like a DC takeoff of Deadpool with a charming lead, but without the writing to really make use of her talents.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Leavemywife posted:

I liked Birds of Prey, but the whole time watching it, it felt like a DC takeoff of Deadpool with a charming lead, but without the writing to really make use of her talents.

this post kinda got me thinking and... honestly, BoP doesn't really feel that similar to Deadpool to me.

if anything, it reminds me a lot more of Punisher: War Zone. the way the movie handles Harley herself is pretty clearly riffing on Deadpool, but everything else about the tone and aesthetics of the movie feels way more inspired by P:WZ, just with a more overtly goofy protagonist swapped in. you've got the incredibly neon-heavy visuals coupled with over-the-top violence (though not quite so much as in War Zone), the villains who are simultaneously grimy as gently caress and over-the-top hammy enough to be successfully comedic, the tone that constantly bounces across the spectrum between po-faced grit and complete absurdity... if Yan wasn't heavily inspired by Alexander's work I'd be tempted to eat a hat. Winstead's performance as Huntress even kind of feels like a slightly more jokey genderswap of Stevenson's performance as Castle at times.

and that's probably a lot of why I liked it as much as I did, because Punisher: War Zone is probably one of the greatest comic book movies of all time, and i can't possibly get mad at a movie that's giving me "Punisher: War Zone, But DC" even if it's got some janky elements and weird politics.

e: and honestly, i can't really disagree that a lot of the movie's plotting is kind of janky. it kind of feels like a movie that's primarily focused on being entertaining at any particular moment, without a lot of thought given to how those moments gel into a cohesive whole.

but that also kind of works for it, i feel like. it's structured as Harley telling the audience the story- not just in the sense that it has narration, but in how it orders and depicts its events- and consequently it feels like a slightly meandering and unfocused story being told to you by someone who's not quite all there. i didn't mind that.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Feb 16, 2020

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Len posted:

So is Sonic actually good or is there just nothing out for kids movies on a long weekend?

It's fine. If you like super speed jokes or Jim Carrey doing his comedy for the back row stuff you'll get a few laughs, but it's a pretty standard kids movie.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
also the complaint about it not really being a Birds of Prey movie is dumb as hell. it's an origin story for the team. it's primarily Harley's movie, but one of the consequences of everything she does is that she ends up gluing the BoP together, and they're all individually pretty important parts of the movie. it makes sense for the movie to be called that.

and while i thought it was kind of odd that Cassandra Cain wasn't anything like the comics character, i also didn't really mind because i thought the Cassandra Cain in the movie was a really fun character. Huntress is kind of already in comics-Cass' territory anyways. :shrug:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Cassandra Cain's whole backstory and thing might be considered way too gimmicky for movies, possibly accurately. Still could just make up a character if you want an asian artful dodger type.

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

It smells a bit like someone went "we need a young female Asian character" and picked the first character on the list.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I wonder if Sonic might be like the Smurfs where the 'wacky adventures in the REAL world' adventure is to get execs to sign off on a sequel actually set in Sonic's world.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

That would be expensive. They set these things in the real world because that's cheap. The genre is basically reverse isekai. And it's nothing new. See Masters of the Universe.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

i always assumed those stories were to enable an easy entry point for the audience. like, it allows the writers to jettison the more complicated or esoteric aspects of the mythology that might narrow the movie's general appeal.

the smurfs movie only requires you to know that smurfs exist. same thing with sonic, peter rabbit, and everything in between.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Feb 16, 2020

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

QuoProQuid posted:

i always assumed those stories were to enable an easy entry point for the audience. like, it allows the writers to jettison the more complicated or esoteric aspects of the mythology that might narrow the movie's general appeal.

the smurfs movie only requires you to know that smurfs exist. same thing with sonic, peter rabbit, and everything in between.

Shouldn't those sequels be successful, then? I mean, I won't dismiss that this might be the logic that some execs follow, but it also seems demonstrably false.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

If anyone is actually a big Fantasy Island fan, you should watch the HBO movie My Dinner with Herve. Peter Dinklage plays Herve Villechaize and there are a number of segments with them recreating Fantasy Island with Andy Garcia as Ricardo Montalban. It also recreates some scenes from The Man with the Golden Gun but the guy who plays Roger Moore isn't really as big a standout.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

While at the same time everyone loves Lucy Lawless.

Back when BSG was on I remember a few of the regular cast making comments that seemed to be, in a very polite way, saying she was a bit standoffish. I think she's as much said that at least at first she really wasn't into the role.

I know Dean Stockwell was also pretty dismissive of the show when he first showed up but then got super on-board after actually watching it.

l33tfuzzbox
Apr 3, 2009

Rageaholic posted:

lol

I'm going to see it tonight. Expectations are low.

e: I saw it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4Fvsgv0bYw

Thanks to this i discovered the entirety of the critic is in youtube. Thanks and dammit.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

From the man who gave us Night Watch and Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter 3D,

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

This truly is hellworld.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Remember that Jurassic Park sequel with armed dinosaurs? The people who brought us Tsunambee decided to make their own version of it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kb9LyzLE9E4

The MSJ posted:

From the man who gave us Night Watch and Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter 3D,

Ugh this could be the best movie ever and I'm just going to get mad it isn't in landscape mode

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
A vertical sort of movie makes sense in that an ascent from hell, visually it could be done very well. I don't know how that works on a widescreen theater but welp.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Kinda surprised that Quibi didn't make everything vertical format, tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

Gatts posted:

A vertical sort of movie makes sense in that an ascent from hell, visually it could be done very well. I don't know how that works on a widescreen theater but welp.

I hope you have to tilt your head 90 degrees for the whole movie to watch it. Would be a fun experiment.