Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

NikkolasKing posted:

Personally I think the price of audiobooks on Audible is such that it's a waste of money to buy any of them.

The Audible Daily Deal email is the trick to making it work. I filled my library with books that were actually on my list by buying them for 4 or 5 bucks when they would pop up as a daily deal.

I used my credits for new releases and stuff that never goes on sale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I just finished the Wheel of Time series. Guess I should have started my membership with those to build up credits. I was only gonna through one book every two months or so.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

So in the last year or two I've been attempting to work on my people skills and I found out something particularly neat. Specifically that you can ask for and often receive free credits through customer support.

I tend to cancel when I use up all of my credits, wait for a month or two and then call audible not only to renew my credits, but to ask for free credits. And what's coolest of all is that I always get them. 100% so far. I started because starting for 14.95 for a credit sort of sucks and the price for two or three is not only better, but you can't get that when signing up. Hell, I haven't even seen three online anywhere, though the option exists on phones.

Over the last two years I've probably gotten a dozen credits just by asking for them. And this is why when I renew, I always call in instead of just buying them online. Last time when I renewed for three credits I connected with the person on the other side of the phone and when I was done, I told her that I really wanted to read these two other books, but I didn't want to wait for next month to get my credits renewed. I ended up binging on Ursula K. LeGuin and grabbed A Wizard of earthsea and The Dispossessed. Both excellent by the by.

All of my luck has been with second shift. And if you have extra time on your hands, you could just ask for extra credits. Just flat out do it near the end of the conversation, or wherever it feels applicable. Also it was super chill. I just asked and received my credits.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Putting items on your wishlist is a good move too, because it’ll single them out for you in 2-for-1 deals and daily $5 sales. You have to work for it, but you can really get a very solid value out of Audible.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Of course I started my Audible trial 2 days before their President's Day 4-months for $7.95/month or whatever sale. Doh.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Of course I started my Audible trial 2 days before their President's Day 4-months for $7.95/month or whatever sale. Doh.
They have the best support around, call them up or chat and see if they'll hook you up with that deal, or something else to soften the blow

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Syrinxx posted:

They have the best support around, call them up or chat and see if they'll hook you up with that deal, or something else to soften the blow

Sent them an email and they put me on the “gold discount” plan which is half off for 3 months. And it looks like I got a bonus credit. Sweet!

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost
If you like Urban Fantasy, let me recommend the October Daye series on Audible.

One of the fringe benefits of this is not having to figure out the Gaelic pronunciation of names.

Edit: seconding the request for a source for Jingo!

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan
I just finished The Quantum Magician by Derek Kunsken and really enjoyed it. A neat kind of sci-fi Oceans Eleven set in the distant future. Apart from it being a fun story, the narrator is EXCELLENT.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Probably old news to anybody in this thread, but I had no idea you could exchange books so easily on Audible. I listened to about 7 hours of James Clavell's Shogun but the narrator was so over the top and yell-y that it was giving me headaches.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
A while ago some of you were talking about the R C Bray Martian recording. If you want to win the chance to buy the CD version, direct from Bray, see here: https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=3150044328342048&id=1101118303234671

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.

Lordshmee posted:

I just finished The Quantum Magician by Derek Kunsken and really enjoyed it. A neat kind of sci-fi Oceans Eleven set in the distant future. Apart from it being a fun story, the narrator is EXCELLENT.

I got it on a daily deal and liked it too! It was very strange but I was into it.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

sI just wanna give a shoutout to Ukemi Audiobooks.

A while ago now I was wondering about how to get Martin Heidegger's Being and Time in audiobook format. Well...
https://www.audible.com/pd/Being-an...c3_lProduct_1_1

I also have a strong interest in Confucianism and was stunned to see this
https://www.audible.com/pd/Mengzi-M...c3_lProduct_1_1

Read by the translator and scholar himself.

It's all very cool and good if you like philosophy and trying to be smart as I am trying to do.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
I've been listening to David Sedaris on my daily walks. I'm almost done with Calypso and just bought cheapo copies of Theft by Finding, Let's Explore Diabetes With Owls, and Squirrel Seeks Chipmunk on CD from eBay.

Anybody else like his work?

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

NikkolasKing posted:

sI just wanna give a shoutout to Ukemi Audiobooks.

A while ago now I was wondering about how to get Martin Heidegger's Being and Time in audiobook format. Well...
https://www.audible.com/pd/Being-an...c3_lProduct_1_1

I also have a strong interest in Confucianism and was stunned to see this
https://www.audible.com/pd/Mengzi-M...c3_lProduct_1_1

Read by the translator and scholar himself.

It's all very cool and good if you like philosophy and trying to be smart as I am trying to do.

Awesome. Thanks for the recommendation. They’ve got all the deep cuts I never read in college.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Mister Kingdom posted:

I've been listening to David Sedaris on my daily walks. I'm almost done with Calypso and just bought cheapo copies of Theft by Finding, Let's Explore Diabetes With Owls, and Squirrel Seeks Chipmunk on CD from eBay.

Yeah, I think I've listened to all of it except for Squirrel Seeks Chipmunk. His narration is too notch, although some of his older material isn't quite as strong as his newer stuff.
Also, there certain stories will make reoccurring appearances, but not a big deal really.

I bought a ticket to go see him do a live event in May and I'm super excited to hang out with a bunch of NPR grandmas.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

bengy81 posted:

Yeah, I think I've listened to all of it except for Squirrel Seeks Chipmunk. His narration is too notch, although some of his older material isn't quite as strong as his newer stuff.
Also, there certain stories will make reoccurring appearances, but not a big deal really.

I bought a ticket to go see him do a live event in May and I'm super excited to hang out with a bunch of NPR grandmas.

I saw him several years ago. His best story was "Six to Eight Black Men". He had the audience in hysterics.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Mister Kingdom posted:

Sedaris is an auto-buy for me. Me Talk Pretty One Day is gold. That and Holidays on Ice.

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
Listen to a Bruce Lee auto that was on sale. I enjoyed it. I didn't know Bruce was such a weedhead and the backlash that followed after his death since he had some hash in his stomach when he died.

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan
Friends I’m looking for a lifeline. I just finished Carl Sagan’s Contact and I’d like to get something that invokes the same numinous spirit, if you know what I mean. I don’t want a SAGA or anything, just a well-written story that brings out awe in the universe. So, you know, easy!

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Lordshmee posted:

I also really enjoyed this. Currently enjoying the sequel which is more of the same and starts off right after the previous book. Same narrator too.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Any recommendations in the current Audible 2 for 1 sale? Preferably a stand-alone novel, not part of a series. Any opinions on McCarthy's Suttree or Outer Dark?

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Lordshmee posted:

Friends I’m looking for a lifeline. I just finished Carl Sagan’s Contact and I’d like to get something that invokes the same numinous spirit, if you know what I mean. I don’t want a SAGA or anything, just a well-written story that brings out awe in the universe. So, you know, easy!

Ive been working my way through the Rama series. Its a bit like Contact with similar themes and scale. But for me it mainly works as a full series as later books recontextualise and reveal some mysteries of the early novels.

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan
Thanks for the recommendation. The reviewers universally loathed the narrator but I kind of dig the measured tone of the preview. I’ll give it a whirl!

e: Trip report. I’ve got about two hours left in the first Rama book and I like it a lot. It’s exactly the tone I was looking for. Most of the time I can’t stand SF written before 1990 because it’s usually riddled with racism and sexism, but this is pretty forward thinking on the whole. The narrator reminds me of Tuvok from Star Trek Voyager, and despite his nearly deadpan delivery of the story he does have different voices for the characters and in general does a good job.

Lordshmee fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Mar 15, 2020

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Audible has a collection of sub-two hour audiobooks free until the 17th:

https://www.audible.com/ep/theater-...RSXN87XKRS19BFF

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Lordshmee posted:

e: Trip report. I’ve got about two hours left in the first Rama book and I like it a lot. L

Word to the wise: stop after book 1 of Rama. It goes off the rails severely I'm sad to say.

Edit for the sake of content: if anyone is in the mood for SciFi, first colonization without technology doing absolutely everything for the colonists, instant win button style, then I really enjoyed the romp through the Coyote series by Allen M. Steele. Excellent narrator, themes do vary from the initial ones but the pace is the definition of just right. You end up in a more developed SciFi in the later books but the society building isn't really lost. I'm tempted to relisten.

Edit to fix link: Check out this book on Goodreads: Coyote http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/686344.Coyote copied from Goodreads app because Goodreads needs to be read. post sponsored retrospectively by Goodreads. Goodreads!

Rooted Vegetable fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Apr 12, 2020

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Heners_UK posted:

Word to the wise: stop after book 1 of Rama. It goes off the rails severely I'm sad to say.

Edit for the sake of content: if anyone is in the mood for SciFi, first colonization without technology doing absolutely everything for the colonists, instant win button style, then I really enjoyed the romp through the Coyote series by Allen M. Steele (book 1 link). Excellent narrator, themes do vary from the initial ones but the pace is the definition of just right. You end up in a more developed SciFi in the later books but the society building isn't really lost. I'm tempted to relisten.

I loved the Coyote series. I keep waiting for Steele to write more.

Also, your link doesn't work.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Sci-fi recommend: The Bobiverse books

A computer programmer named Bob signs a contract to freeze his body, and them immediately dies in a car accident. He wakes up a hundred years later to find out that he is a AI copy of Bob and has been tasked with piloting a self-replicating probe to explore the galaxy. The books basically follow him as he slowly becomes a machine god with dozens of copies of himself all becoming their own characters.

I really enjoyed these books, even if by book three some of the side plots kinda go in the weeds a bit. I thought they would be like super light trash from the description, but I was surprised.

On that note, has anyone else noticed the rise of the amount of scifi genre trash being pushed out by Amazon/Audible lately? I'm guessing their going down the Netflix route of just pushing out as much content as possible to get dat money in.

jeeves fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Apr 13, 2020

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Just confirming, but if I cancel my Audible subscription, I still can listen to my audiobooks, correct? I assume I just wouldn't be able to use any outstanding credits?

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Just confirming, but if I cancel my Audible subscription, I still can listen to my audiobooks, correct? I assume I just wouldn't be able to use any outstanding credits?

Yes. Your books remain but credits are lost so use them first.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Don’t forget to go through all the books you have bought and return any you won’t listen to or hated, I just got 7 credits back from books which turned out to be bad and spent them all on discworld instead.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Also if there's nothing you want right now. You can preorder a book that's not out for 6 months, then after you've cancelled your membership cancel the preorder and get a credit back which you can still use later when there's something you actually do want.

que sera sera
Aug 4, 2006

Deptfordx posted:

Also if there's nothing you want right now. You can preorder a book that's not out for 6 months, then after you've cancelled your membership cancel the preorder and get a credit back which you can still use later when there's something you actually do want.

whoa this is next level :stare:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

If you're into Potter/have kids, and you own an Amazon smart device...

Philosopher's stone is free to listen to:
https://goodereader.com/blog/audiob...emsPd53OayIwXPk

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan
I just finished Hate Inc. by Matt Taibbi. If you know Taibbi then you know you should get it - the narrator is good. If you don’t know Taibbi, well, he’s very CSPAM, if you’re into that sort of thing.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-52568497?SThisFB&fbclid=IwAR16J0-jmYfjcUGl_14Kg1ZeJt69PUIobuD8tjbfZ6Z3z_jBdKDoxoDpa5s

quote:

Coronavirus: Gollum actor Serkis to raise cash by reading entire Hobbit live online

Andy Serkis will give a continuous live reading of The Hobbit online, to raise money for charity.
The Gollum actor will read JRR Tolkien's 1937 novel from start to end, breaking only to nip to the loo.
Money raised from the 56-year-old's expected 12-hour performance will be split between NHS Charities Together and Best Beginnings.

"It's not going to be a dry reading, it's live, and there will be lots of, I'm sure, fumbles and stumbles and trips and it's not an audio recording where we go back and correct, it's happening live, and if the cat walks in and jumps up on the desk, that is what is gong to happen," he added.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

jeeves posted:

Sci-fi recommend: The Bobiverse books

A computer programmer named Bob signs a contract to freeze his body, and them immediately dies in a car accident. He wakes up a hundred years later to find out that he is a AI copy of Bob and has been tasked with piloting a self-replicating probe to explore the galaxy. The books basically follow him as he slowly becomes a machine god with dozens of copies of himself all becoming their own characters.

I really enjoyed these books, even if by book three some of the side plots kinda go in the weeds a bit. I thought they would be like super light trash from the description, but I was surprised.

They are good but I recommend people fast forward through the side plots in the later books like you mentioned. Fair warning they aren't hard scifi but they are fun.

CrazySalamander posted:

Audible has How to Defeat a Demon King in Ten Easy Steps in its free May originals. It also offers a free month trial to anybody so you can also get another free book and cancel if you want. The book is a bit of a love letter/parody of Zelda and RPGs in general, but it is comedy first and foremost.

Mister Facetious posted:

Yeah, I finished listening to it a few days ago. It was my first LitRPG-esque experience; very much a combination of Endro! (anime) meets zelda dungeons and hero myth, combined with Dragon Quest monsters.
Honestly it wasn't really my thing; I'm not big on isekai/meta RPG in general, but I found it just had way too much exposition on the mechanics and it just comes off hokey as gently caress to me. Loved the narrator and solution at the end though.

Join us in the audiobook thread if you're not already checking it out; it could always use more traffic

From what I understand the mechanics hullabaloo is very much influenced by Japanese isekai light novels- I've read a couple of translated ones and the mechanics talk in HtDaDKiTES (woah, HT dadkites, it actually spells something) is comparable to those. I think part of the reason I enjoyed it so much was that I love watching speedruns and how people do things that look really stupid and end up breaking the game over their knees, so to me listening was like cozying up to a nice long session of watching AGDQ or SGDQ.

CrazySalamander fucked around with this message at 02:29 on May 28, 2020

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

I'm a dumbass. I didn't realize that you had to maintain an active Audible subscription to use your credits. I signed up for the "4 months at half price" deal a while back, and I've racked up 5 credits that I need to spend before I cancel my subscription, which renews tomorrow. So I'm looking for recommendations.

I'm mainly looking for SF/F and horror, and I have zero interest in a multi-book series. Short storie collections are even better, and I value good narration above all else.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Lester Shy posted:

I'm a dumbass. I didn't realize that you had to maintain an active Audible subscription to use your credits. I signed up for the "4 months at half price" deal a while back, and I've racked up 5 credits that I need to spend before I cancel my subscription, which renews tomorrow. So I'm looking for recommendations.

I'm mainly looking for SF/F and horror, and I have zero interest in a multi-book series. Short storie collections are even better, and I value good narration above all else.

Let's see...Going down the list of what I have on my account, so it's not listed in terms of what's best first. Just what I've bought most recently to less recently.

Anything by Ursula K. LeGuin is good. The Dispossed is a masterpiece that goes over a kind of ambiguous utopia, explaining it in all of its current problems in juxtaposition to a sister capitalist society and the main character interrogates capitalism from anarcho-snydicalist principles. A fantastic melding of science and philosophy. Chef kiss AF for fiction. I am also a big fan of the Lathe of Heaven. And if you like fantasy, A Wizard of Earthsea is still good.

The Fifth Season trilogy by N. K. Jemisin. Post-apocalyptic, deals with racism, bleak AF. Each of them won a Hugo.

You could pick up the first five books of The Expanse series, which are all fantastic if you like people in space doing poo poo.

If you like LitRPG and want just a shitload of content from a writer that's actually pretty good, The Wandering Inn has its first book out for a while now. Most LitRPG is uh...Hit or miss, but I like this one.

The Blade Itself trilogy by Joe Abercrombie. Fantasy, bleak, darkly funny. Can't really suggest this enough.

The Storm Glass series is surprisingly good if you like your fantasy Victorian. It's definitely a book that's more geared towards young women, but it's a kind of disempowerment fantasy and explores themes of helplessness and class.

Almost anything by Brandon Sanderson as he's the current king of fantasy mountain. The Stormlight Archive books are great, but unfinished. The Mistborn series is done and it is a masterpiece.

The Bobiverse books by Ray Porter, starting with "We Are Legion, We Are Bob". It's a sci-fi series about a person who dies and whose brain is revived as a Von Neumann probe, which is a self-replicating space probe. It's surprisingly good because you get to see the future of people as well as the future of aliens that the probes discover. There's lots of discovery in fact. Choice series.

Fuzzy Nation by John Scalzi is about about ecology and is a touching and heartbreaking story about a race of beings that a miner finds that he calls the "Fuzzies" and a mining operation that tries to exterminate them to get at the unobtanium underneath where they live.

The Chronicles of Amber series by Robert Zelazny. New wave fantasy back from the 70's. It's short, but fantastically written. But there's just so much that's said with each sentence that the book is dense with meaning, not with words. It does not waste your time. First five books are great. The last five books, which are the second series, I gave a pass.

Anything by Ian M. Banks. Fantastic science fiction writer. These are The Culture novels, which describe a very advanced race of humans who work hand in hand with AI's. Hard to describe the novels because they're just so strange and wonderful. Start with Consider Phlebas.

That's what I got. Enjoy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
I liked Children of Time a lot. It has a sequel that's also good but it's fine by itself.