Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

chernobyl kinsman posted:

mcdowell's the elementals

Googled, bought, loaded.

I’ll start it tonight :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Rolo posted:

Finally got around to finishing Hill House. I liked it! Thanks for the recommendations, thread.

So if that and The Shining are my favorite spooky books, what’s next? My favorite aspect of a horror is the setting, specifically pretty, secluded places.

Also I would recommend Salem’s Lot. Not for the vampires, but for the influence of Hill House on the stories about the Marsten House. That said I consider Hill House the peak of haunted house literature, so its all downhill from here.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

The books channel of a discord I'm in also has someone discover Ligotti once a week so I guess that's just how it is. I haven't read any yet because I'm trying to keep my reading/to read under ten books but I'm very much gonna get there soon.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
What is Blackwater?

Also, does Ballingrud have any other (horror) books besides NALM and Wounds?

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

escape artist posted:

What is Blackwater?

Also, does Ballingrud have any other (horror) books besides NALM and Wounds?

a novel by malcolm mcdowell

no

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

a novel by malcolm mcdowell

viddy well

is it horror?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

escape artist posted:

viddy well

is it horror?

Yes and no. It's southern gothic as a deep south community has a river monster join in after a bad flood.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

escape artist posted:

viddy well

is it horror?

There's some good and effective horror moments in it, but most of it is (well written) family feuding and social machinations

Gary the Llama
Mar 16, 2007
SHIGERU MIYAMOTO IS MY ILLEGITIMATE FATHER!!!

mcdowell's the elementals

I just bought this version of it. Be still my wallet.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
I ordered my Ligotti book with Prime. It still took a week to get here.

I don't know why but I feel this is appropriate and how Ligotti would have wanted it.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Gary the Llama posted:

I just bought this version of it. Be still my wallet.

I'm gonna be honest, I kinda hate the cover, I feel like it doesn't fit the book at all

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

wrap the cover in a paper bag, the more crinkled the better, and write the title on the cover with crayon

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Oh cool there's a second wave of Paperback From Hell reissues coming out, including Let's Go Play At The Adams!

Now I don't need to drop $60+ on a second hand copy

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

NALM was just as good as you folks said.

hallelujah
Jan 26, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

PsychedelicWarlord posted:

NALM was just as good as you folks said.
:unsmith:

there's a cute thing that happens with goons where we're all so critical that when something genuinely good comes along, we're left stunned and in shock

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

hallelujah posted:

:unsmith:

there's a cute thing that happens with goons where we're all so critical that when something genuinely good comes along, we're left stunned and in shock

Goons are so particular that I have gotten some amazing recommendations from the forums.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I'm into the second "book" of the Blackwater series, and it's pretty great. Now that I know how highly Steven King praised Michael McDowell, I can see a lot of influence on King's work. It's all interpersonal drama with supernatural/horrific elements lurking just under the surface, with enough moments of terror peppered throughout to keep you feeling worried the whole time. And that's what I also like about Stephen King, he does the same thing.

I have a long way to go (5 more novellas, I'm a good part of the way through the second one) but so far it's a great experience.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
That’s really cool because I hadn’t heard of him previously but I’m about 20% into Elementals and I’m really liking it. Easy to read and unsettling. Hope it keeps up.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
hey guys I have been on a horror kick recently fostered by reading like three McDowell novels in a row and I want some more good literary horror

I read Robert Aickman and liked it.

I read Paul Trembalay and didn't like it.

Any diamonds in the rough are a big plus. Like yeah I know Shirley Jackson yadda yadda. Give me some poo poo I wouldn't hear about doing a google search.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Thomas Ligotti? We're basically Ligotti salesmen here.

The other standard recommendation is North American Lake Monsters.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I am a huge fan of Caitlin R Kiernan's work and highly recommend her Drowning Girl. Give her a shot!

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Mel Mudkiper posted:

hey guys I have been on a horror kick recently fostered by reading like three McDowell novels in a row and I want some more good literary horror

Any diamonds in the rough are a big plus. Like yeah I know Shirley Jackson yadda yadda. Give me some poo poo I wouldn't hear about doing a google search.

What didn’t you like about Trembalay? I didn’t like Ghosts at all, but I can’t really put my finger on why. I really didn’t like the ending at all, but I guess the writing was okay? I dunno.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Ghosts had three big issues for me.

1.) The prose was terrible. His attempt to mimic the cadence and style of a sardonic millennial girl was legitimately painful to read

2.) There is almost nothing worse than a stupid character the book keeps trying to convince you is smart. The only thing worse than that is a writer having a writer character in a book who has other characters complement them on their writing. Its oppressively masturbatory.

3.) He seems to think themes are "things I show happen" instead of "ideas that saturate the text." Like, the idea of a person surreptitiously working through their emotional baggage by anonymously doing a critical analysis of their own experience for a publication is a cool idea. But, they never do anything with it other than have it happen and go "WOW HOW META"

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Also since you guys have been discovering McDowell, which is great, has anyone else read Cold Moon Over Babylon? I want to discuss it but I don't know anyone who has read it.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Also since you guys have been discovering McDowell, which is great, has anyone else read Cold Moon Over Babylon? I want to discuss it but I don't know anyone who has read it.

I loved Blackwater and Elementals so I've contemplated buying it, maybe I'll read that next.

As to your literary horror question, I haven't read it myself but have heard a lot of good things about Helen Oyeyemi's White is for Witching and she's definitely got some literary credibility. Her Body and Other Parties would probably qualify as well. Other than that I can't think of any diamond-in-the-rough kind of literary horror, and I imagine even those two probably come up with some light googling.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
blake butler's still one of my go-to recs but i don't think he's considered "literary," just one of the few standout examples of the otherwise fetid "bizarro" movement

still, scorch atlas and the first half of three hundred million are some of the more impactful horror i've read in the last decade

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

I enjoyed A Collapse of Horses by Brian Evenson. I'm too stupid to say whether it's properly literary and/or easily Googleable, but if nothing else it's a cut above most horror schlock.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Big Mad Drongo posted:

I enjoyed A Collapse of Horses by Brian Evenson. I'm too stupid to say whether it's properly literary and/or easily Googleable, but if nothing else it's a cut above most horror schlock.

I really enjoyed it, and I have been tempted to try one of his novels like Last Days.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

nate fisher posted:

I really enjoyed it, and I have been tempted to try one of his novels like Last Days.

Last Days is a pair of novellas, the first of which is very good, and the second of which is good for a horror novella.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
I enjoyed a lush and seething hell by John Horner Jacobs. The first novella was extremely effective. The second wasn’t great, too cliched with the writing too stilted, but it’s worth it for the first one.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Ok, putting together a list

Night Film by Marisha Pessl
The Drowning Girl by Caitlin R. Kiernan
Fever Dream by Samanta Schweblin
White is for Witching by Helen Oyeyemi
The Fisherman by John Langan
Song for the Unraveling of the World by Brian Evenson
The Toll by Cherie Priest
A Lush and Seething Hell by John Hornor Jacobs
Songs of a Dead Dreamer and Grimscribe by Thomas Ligotti
North American Lake Monsters by Nathan Ballingrud

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I think Teatro Grottesco is the better Ligotti book but yeah that's a solid list

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Didn't the italics in Night Film drive you nuts though? I couldn't focus on the story

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
I read The Twisted Ones by T Kingfisher recently and enjoyed it.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Mel Mudkiper posted:

What's the list for? And no Laird Barron collections?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

PsychedelicWarlord posted:

Didn't the italics in Night Film drive you nuts though? I couldn't focus on the story

Havent read it yet

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Mel Mudkiper posted:

read more aickman

StrixNebulosa posted:

I am a huge fan of Caitlin R Kiernan's work and highly recommend her Drowning Girl. Give her a shot!

kiernan sucks bad im sorry. just bog standard lovecraft fanfic with some truly repellant prose

Big Mad Drongo posted:

yeah evenson is really good

Mel Mudkiper posted:

langan also sucks sorry. balingrud rules tho

ligotti is of course prince of this thread

e: actually read kiernan and langan because i think theyll make you mad and ill enjoy reading your posts about them

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

kiernan sucks bad im sorry. just bog standard lovecraft fanfic with some truly repellant prose

e: actually read kiernan and langan because i think theyll make you mad and ill enjoy reading your posts about them

I obviously disagree re: kiernan's quality, but agreed: I wanna see Mel comment on (imho) her best work, Drowning Girl. Even if Mel winds up hating it I wanna know why.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Chernobyl were you the one who rec'd Twenty Days of Turin way back?

Because that was good poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
I just started on 3 out of 4 of the Peter Clines' Threshold series. It really reminds me of shorter Stephen King. Overall spoilers, not really story related: Very long and interesting characterizations before poo poo goes bananas and people you feel like you know are destroyed. I know it's not the same as what I usually see suggested here, but it's what works for my brain.