Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
ryu, megaman, ken, and rathalos are in smash, so its time for capcom vs nintendo. also in this hypothetical it's also good instead of bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

absolutely anything posted:

you people legitimately wanting an mvc2 rebalance from 2020 capcom are loving certifiable

Honest I really just want them to take the original MVC2, put it on modern systems. And maybe buff some of the lower tier characters or something?

They absolutely shouldn't touch anything else, but it would be real funny if they just slammed a bunch of devil may cry and other characters in

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:
Dude did this with DMC smash rumours too just ignore him

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Maybe we're all reading this wrong and it's a new Capcom VS game. Vampire Savior. Darkstalkers are not dead.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

Elvis_Maximus posted:

Honest I really just want them to take the original MVC2, put it on modern systems. And maybe buff some of the lower tier characters or something?

They absolutely shouldn't touch anything else, but it would be real funny if they just slammed a bunch of devil may cry and other characters in

you say they shouldn't touch anything else but what you describe actually touches everything

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Capcom vs Fire Emblem.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Countblanc posted:

ryu, megaman, ken, and rathalos are in smash, so its time for capcom vs nintendo. also in this hypothetical it's also good instead of bad.

Sitting here thinking about Link in MvC2 and his assist is him riding in on Epona and blasting on his lil ocarina.

yo mamma a Horus
Apr 7, 2008

Nap Ghost
capcom fighting evolution 2!!!

lmfao

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
its gonna be umvc3 with morrigan nerfed into the ground, vergil slightly nerfed, and the characters from mvci backported into it

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Renaissance Pictures vs. Capcom. My team is Ash, Xena, Frank West

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Reiley posted:

:yeshaha:

HerniaFlange
Aug 4, 2013

You when you read my posts:

Reiley posted:

Ash, Autolycus, and, uh, Brisco County Jr.?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

darealkooky posted:

its gonna be umvc3 with morrigan nerfed into the ground, vergil slightly nerfed, and the characters from mvci backported into it

That sounds like it would be an actual good game and would free monster hunter from being trapped in MvCI forever.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Dias posted:

Isn't MVC2 copyright hell?
It really isn't, not in the usual copyright hell meaning where there's a whole web of right holders to be sorted out, there's only like three companies involved, Disney (through Marvel), Sony (for Spider-Man) and Capcom. That's easy mode, pretty different from the Tatsunoko situation where the western rights are split among a whole ton of entities. The problem with MvC isn't copyright hell proper, it's Disney's unwillingness to let people go crazy with it, whereas MvC is all about being crazy.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever

an all time classic

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

Chev posted:

It really isn't, not in the usual copyright hell meaning where there's a whole web of right holders to be sorted out, there's only like three companies involved, Disney (through Marvel), Sony (for Spider-Man) and Capcom. That's easy mode, pretty different from the Tatsunoko situation where the western rights are split among a whole ton of entities. The problem with MvC isn't copyright hell proper, it's Disney's unwillingness to let people go crazy with it, whereas MvC is all about being crazy.

not that it really changes things, but capcom doesn't actually own strider, moto kikaku does. that's why he wasn't in the original cut of mvc3, they had to get approval (as you can see in umvc3) and to justify that they made that decent strider metroidvania so they did something with the character while they could.

darealkooky fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Feb 17, 2020

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

What do you think the chances of the Brook UFB being compatible with next gen consoles? PS5 comes out this winter and I am considering either pulling my UFB out of the fight stick I made a couple of years ago, or buying a new one to use as a base to make either a korean style fight stick or a hitbox with. If there is only a small chance of forward compatibility, I will probably save money by pulling the from from my existing stick.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

darealkooky posted:

not that it really changes things, but capcom doesn't actually own strider, moto kikaku does. that's why he wasn't in the original cut of mvc3, they had to get approval (as you can see in umvc3) and to justify that they made that decent strider metroidvania so they did something with the character while they could.

They put him in a pair with Hotsuma for PXZ2 and had Tong Pooh as a villain too, which was cool.

Speaking of, bring Ingrid back, I liked her.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Hekk posted:

What do you think the chances of the Brook UFB being compatible with next gen consoles? PS5 comes out this winter and I am considering either pulling my UFB out of the fight stick I made a couple of years ago, or buying a new one to use as a base to make either a korean style fight stick or a hitbox with. If there is only a small chance of forward compatibility, I will probably save money by pulling the from from my existing stick.

Sony said ps5 will be compatible with ps4 controllers/peripherals i think

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Odd question that we were mulling over during some matches last night:

Who was the first fighter in a game who had a move that involved having another character run in to assist? Lowain in GBFV has a ton of run-ins from his two dopey sidekicks, and we were trying to figure out who might've been the first fighting-game character to do something similar.

I can't think of one that's earlier than Jill's zombie army in MVC2 off the top of my head.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Wanderer posted:

Who was the first fighter in a game who had a move that involved having another character run in to assist? Lowain in GBFV has a ton of run-ins from his two dopey sidekicks, and we were trying to figure out who might've been the first fighting-game character to do something similar.

I can't think of one that's earlier than Jill's zombie army in MVC2 off the top of my head.

Can't be the first as Captain Commando has his friends in MvC, off the top of my head.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Wanderer posted:

I mean, you can go as far back as Galford with Poppy in Samurai Shodown 1 in 1993. Unless you mean someone definitely in the back of a fight running in to assist, which still start pretty early (depending on what you're looking for, you have Sentinel from X-Men Children of the Atom in 1994, or Sabretooth in X-Men vs Street Fighter in 1996). Darkstalkers and Street Fighter Alpha have a couple examples of outside characters getting involved specifically for Supers as well (Felicia in Darkstalkers, Juni in SFA.)

HerniaFlange
Aug 4, 2013

Can we count a younger sibling asking an older sibling to beat a match they can't get past?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

HerniaFlange posted:

Can we count a younger sibling asking an older sibling to beat a match they can't get past?

Mom_playing_gameboy_for_kids.jpg

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Theres hol horse calling in hanged man in jojos, also

The main term for this stuff, strikers, was coined in kof 2000

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Avengers in Galactic Storm was the first game I can think of that had strikers as a major system and it came out in 95-ish?

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Feb 17, 2020

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Dias posted:

Maybe we're all reading this wrong and it's a new Capcom VS game. Vampire Savior. Darkstalkers are not dead.

Punk's not dead

Killer7 vs. Street Fighter confirmed

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Does anyone know the input for iWS in Soul Calibur?

Orv
May 4, 2011

inthesto posted:

Does anyone know the input for iWS in Soul Calibur?

That's instant While Standing so it'd depend on the character but basically it's down + input for direct access to WS moves.

E: Frankly that poo poo is beyond me at this point but it's apparently the same as Tekken. E2: down + GG, down + move?

Orv fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Feb 17, 2020

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
All I want is a good Capcom fighting game with Breath of Fire II Nina in it.

I’ll even settle for a non Dragon Quarter Ryu or Bleu

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Wanderer posted:

Sentinel had it's drones in X-Men COTA if you want to count those. Sabertooth had "BIRDY!!!" machine gun in X-Men vs Street Fighter.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

MechaX posted:

This is even more unlikely than the endless joke posts about farmer with a shotgun being in Fighterz.

HerniaFlange
Aug 4, 2013

Wanderer posted:

If you stretch the definition you might be able to say Mortal Kombat, with the endurance rounds and the characters flying in to replace the one you just beat.

Also I'm going to throw in a vote that the big reveal for Capcom being a lovely mobile version of MVC2 or some other kind of mobile game. Marvel Vs Capcom Vs Gacha.

Kongming posted:

This is even more unlikely than the endless joke posts about farmer with a shotgun being in Fighterz.

...Bulma with a glock, done up Gangster Spongebob-style.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Does Capcom have a gacha game? Cause I can totally see them doing a vs event for something like that.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Teppen?

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Endorph posted:

Theres hol horse calling in hanged man in jojos, also

The main term for this stuff, strikers, was coined in kof 2000
I thought the term would be 'summon' as far as archetypes are concerned. That would cover Lowain, captain commando, Android 18, Parasoul, etc.

I've never heard the term Striker, but it looks like it would refer to a similar assist mechanic like in MvC: Clash of Super Heroes or the Avengers game PalletSwappedNinja mentioned where you pick a limited use assist character during team select.

MechaX posted:

I love Dragon Quarter, it's one of my top 10 RPG's. But if they have to pick a Ryu it should be BoF IV Ryu and then they can make his lvl 5 super like Megaman and Hero from Smash where all 5 ryu's dragon form and attack.

That would be the dream.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

that was the original use in kof 2000 but people definitely refer to characters who pop in for certain moves as a base part of a character's kit as 'strikers.' 'summons' refer more to stuff like jack-o or zappa where the character sticks around or you have control over them.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Endorph posted:

that was the original use in kof 2000 but people definitely refer to characters who pop in for certain moves as a base part of a character's kit as 'strikers.' 'summons' refer more to stuff like jack-o or zappa where the character sticks around or you have control over them.
Well that works for me. I'd actually been mulling over whether characters like Android 18 would be considered a third sub-type of puppet character somewhat recently so if there's a term for that I'll run with it. Like you say summon is a very broad term but i've seen it used to refer to summoning characters as well as the myriad of projectiles, environmental bits, and traps seen in fighting games.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
In KoF'94 (and up to '98) you can press A+B+C while on your team's side of the screen to have one of your not KOed teammates jump out for a quick assist attack. This is possible to do when dizzied and also to escape some throw/grapple moves. I believe this is the first instance of what people would call a "striker" now. PaletteSwappedNinja is correct that Avengers in Galactic Storm (1995) is the first game to have something like MvC or KoF'99 where you pick a particular character whose sole purpose is to be your striker and have it be a major part of the game (in Avengers they unplayable like in MvC1, just picked for their assist attack only).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

The latest Fanatical bundle includes KoFXIV for $4, along with some other decent-looking stuff.