Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Hedrigall posted:

Togo on Disney+ had a good mix of real dogs for acting scenes and CGI dogs for sledding scenes (as well as some breathtaking CGI scenery and weather stuff)

It’s a pretty drat good little adventure movie

Yeah Togo loving ruled. I can usually barely get my kids to sit through half of anything that's live action but they were riveted by this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Every time Robotnik got punched in the face was extremely satisfying.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
Throwing my weight behind the "Sonic was great and I had a ton of fun watching it, here's hoping for a sequel" movement. Because Sonic was great and I had a ton of fun watching it. Here's hoping for a sequel!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Sonic presumably will have to get to know Tails since he’s basically grown up alone, aside from his owl mother.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Robotnik is the "I studied the blade" meme come to life

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I liked Robotnik's anecdote with The last person ever to punch him in the face spending a year of his life eating through a tube because Robotnik hit back with his technology and ruined him.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i would've liked the movie more if sonic got to be friends with a child or a grumpy teen who just got their drivers license instead of a small town good old red blooded american cop but otherwise it was fun and sonic himself looked really good

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

They should cast the two kids from Jojo Rabbit in the Sonic sequel. They've been likened to miniature versions of Simon Pegg and Nick Frost on social media and I agree.

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018

Looper posted:

i would've liked the movie more if sonic got to be friends with a child or a grumpy teen who just got their drivers license instead of a small town good old red blooded american cop but otherwise it was fun and sonic himself looked really good

Sonic being friends with a child happened, at it was not received well.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

Mamkute posted:

Sonic being friends with a child happened, at it was not received well.

That's because the kid was the child of a superstar actress and a multi-billionaire - Sonic was never meant to be a friend of the 1% and that's why it sucked.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Looper posted:

I would've preferred if they had not had Sonic befriend a cop too, but I think they made it work by having him be like, THE cop in a small town where everyone knows him and depends on him just as like, a person.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

teagone posted:

They should cast the two kids from Jojo Rabbit in the Sonic sequel. They've been likened to miniature versions of Simon Pegg and Nick Frost on social media and I agree.

Thomasin McKenzie is too good for Sonic, I hope she doesn't fall into doing that kinda stuff. Leave No Trace is excellent.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Macaluso posted:

I would've preferred if they had not had Sonic befriend a cop too, but I think they made it work by having him be like, THE cop in a small town where everyone knows him and depends on him just as like, a person.

Is this cop character a bad guy working for Dr. Eggman or something?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

LeJackal posted:

Is this cop character a bad guy working for Dr. Eggman or something?

He's just a cop in a small town. Just unlike all real life cops, he's a good guy.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

The_Doctor posted:

The trailer for Call of the Wild has that ‘floating’ CGI look I haven’t seen for a while. Like the lighting needs another couple of passes for Buck to actually look like he’s part of the scene and not just pasted on top.

Went to see sonic and saw the trailer for that and woof, it looked bad. Like they don't even try to make him pass for an actual dog, just clearly a cgi dog.

Sonic was good, it dragged a bit but it was really fun and didn't take itself seriously basically ever. The matryoshka robotnik tank scene was great, Jim Carrey carried the movie, sonic looked great, the post credit scene was good, the memes were well done (the crazy beard guy ruled), sonic being hunted by a tribe of knuckles in the prologue was good foreshadowing for the sequel, as was Jim Carrey straight up saying "I'll be home by christmas" at the end :v:

one of the few good video game movies, I'm genuinely surprised how fun it was. Middle of the movie was a drag and the Small Town America poo poo nearly made my eyes roll out of my drat head, but otherwise it was a good time.

My absolute favorite part of the movie was that the final fight was basically the first boss of green hills zone. Sonic just repeatedly jumping into the floating robotnik machine until it blew up. Game accuracy!!!

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Macaluso posted:

He's just a cop in a small town. Just unlike all real life cops, he's a good guy.

Like he saw injustice and went "gently caress the law"

hallelujah
Jan 26, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i think sonic should have killed a cop

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

hallelujah posted:

:hmmyes:

Sonic would do that, it’s true.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

hallelujah posted:

Well, he did push one off the roof of a skyscraper

He just didn't have the guts to stick with it, is all :v:

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Macaluso posted:

it definitely helped that eggman was presented as a much bigger cop

also it's canon to sonic adventure that sonic kills cops

curlingiron
Dec 15, 2006

b l o o p

I, for one, appreciated the movie’s accurate portrayal of law enforcement, and their tendency to immediately shoot the first living creature they see when mildly startled.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Sonic has a trailer for a new monster/kaiju wrestling animated movie called Rumble, by Paramount Animation.

It’s weirdly not on YouTube yet but this version is watchable:
https://youtu.be/bhgykTd7QpI

Many people on my twitter timeline are uh, heavily invested in the main character already

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Caught between two worlds...
if anyone was curious about wizards but not enough to actually buy it themselves, i'm let's watching it in byob over the next few days

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Hedrigall posted:

Sonic has a trailer for a new monster/kaiju wrestling animated movie called Rumble, by Paramount Animation.

Many people on my twitter timeline are uh, heavily invested in the main character already

Oh yeah, I got that one too. And yeah it did feel like that classic episode

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Hedrigall posted:

oh boy, the director of Get Hard and Holmes and Watson, i see no way this could possibly go wrong

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

DC Murderverse posted:

oh boy, the director of Get Hard and Holmes and Watson, i see no way this could possibly go wrong

Oh hey, that guy! He actually skyped into my college screenwriting class. Seemed like a very nice guy- shame his work doesn't look too good.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I was on the fence about ever bothering to post again but I have to tell everyone that not only is Sonic an extremely bad movie, it's also really obviously a modification of a pre-existing screenplay, I literally think for an Alf reboot.

Of all things, I am most shocked that no one else seems to have noticed this. It's Sonic really, really transparently overlaying another completely independent script.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Pick posted:

it's also really obviously a modification of a pre-existing screenplay, I literally think for an Alf reboot.

a weirdly appropriate observation considering that the original writer/artist duo on the Archie Sonic comic way back in the 90s (Mike Gallagher/Dave Manak) were previously the creative team on the Marvel Alf comic

in actuality apparently the script was being worked on while they were setting up other parts of production (rather than script first, everything else later)

"co-writer Josh Miller in response to being asked about the reception of the original design posted:

That was really weird. The whole time we were working on the script, the design had come up here and there. We weren’t getting day to day updates, we were seeing updates maybe once a month.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I mean, it was pretty clear from the very first impressions that it's basically the standard family movie script of the wacky special creature dropped into the mundane world, going back to ET at the very least.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I mean, it was pretty clear from the very first impressions that it's basically the standard family movie script of the wacky special creature dropped into the mundane world, going back to ET at the very least.

I went to see it with some friends and my immediate thoughts were literally "ET sequel or reimagining" or the more cynical "old Alf screenplay that has been molding on a shelf for 26 years which was never realized due to technical limitations of the time."

Absolutely nothing about it suggests it was ever intended to be a Sonic film.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Wow, quite the revelation

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Ghost Leviathan posted:

it's basically the standard family movie script of the wacky special creature dropped into the mundane world

Manic Chili Dog Hog

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
I haven't seen the film yet but apparently there's some stuff that was inspired by some sonic 1 deep lore that gets heavily overlooked even by hardcore fans?

https://twitter.com/GreatLange/status/1229600845345374210?s=20

(I'm not posting the tweet Tyson responded to for spoiler reasons, gotta click through to see it)

Digamma-F-Wau fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Feb 18, 2020

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
they knew

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

so is pick wrong about it being some weird retro-co-opting of an alf script

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I don't think we'll ever actually know but that was absolutely my impression throughout the whole shebang. Among other things, I think that a contemporaneously artlessly thinktank'd Sonic film would have fewer bar fights and weird right-wing overtones. I think I become suspicious over right-wing overtones considerably less than some people, as well, but someone else in the friend group (ex-military) mentioned it first and I agreed with him 100%.

hallelujah
Jan 26, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Pick posted:

I was on the fence about ever bothering to post again
i was really worried!

quote:

but I have to tell everyone that not only is Sonic an extremely bad movie
oh thank G-d

quote:

it's also really obviously a modification of a pre-existing screenplay, I literally think for an Alf reboot.

Of all things, I am most shocked that no one else seems to have noticed this. It's Sonic really, really transparently overlaying another completely independent script.
lmao

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I hope the sequel has sonic teaming up with tails and Alf to stop metal sonic and knuckles

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Not the dumb blue sonic-sized metal sonic, but the giant bare metal, covered in rivets one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hallelujah
Jan 26, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
there's so much great fanfic out there to provide narrative inspiration that they had no excuse for a boring plot