Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I had no idea Jake was in WCW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I had no idea Jake was in WCW.

It was a very brief run.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Spin the wheel, make the deal

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

As I recall, he was a victim of WCW's revolving door management. Got a big contract offer, came in. WCW gets new management, goes "Yeah no we're not paying you this much money"

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

DeathChicken posted:

As I recall, he was a victim of WCW's revolving door management. Got a big contract offer, came in. WCW gets new management, goes "Yeah no we're not paying you this much money"

More specifically, it was because his new boss was Bill Watts and they hated each other from Jake's time in Mid South.

Watts once described Jake as a "greasy piece of poo poo who looks like he just got done sucking 20 cocks".

Charming fella, that Bill Watts.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Watts banned throwing people over the top rope, right? And also top rope moves or not? How many wrestlers forgot and got fined or fired for it, I wonder.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
The top rope toss is an old NWA rule. But he banned top rope moves, yes. With Liger and Pillman on the roster.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Watts banned throwing people over the top rope, right? And also top rope moves or not? How many wrestlers forgot and got fined or fired for it, I wonder.

THe one that always mystified me which Mick Foley talks about in one of his books is the Watts rule that no wrestlers were allowed to leave the venue before the show ended, even if leaving meant they could get an earlier flight or see family.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Lamuella posted:

THe one that always mystified me which Mick Foley talks about in one of his books is the Watts rule that no wrestlers were allowed to leave the venue before the show ended, even if leaving meant they could get an earlier flight or see family.

The logic was supposedly to encourage people to learn from others, but what the gently caress is Ricky Steamboat gonna learn from like, Tommy Rogers vs the Gambler

(No disrespect to either of those guys, but Steamboat was near perfect at the craft)

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Bill Watts is a garbage person propped up by other garbage people.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I feel bad for Mike Awesome seeing how WCW buried him after he was ECW World Champion but I recall in Death of WCW Bryan quotes Bam Bam saying "i was getting my check so I didn't give a poo poo."

I know two things about the backstage dealings of ECW:
1. Drugs were everywhere, maybe even more than in WWF or WCW.
2. Heyman owed everybody money and they mostly stuck around out of loyalty or because they liked him or something.

So I guess it sucks Awesome was used so poorly but I would hope that, even if WCW in 2000 could do nothing else right, it could at least pay its wrestles.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Moe_Rahn posted:

The Fabulous Ones music video is probably my second favorite piece of wrestling-related musical media.

lets hear it for the boooooooys

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

NikkolasKing posted:

I feel bad for Mike Awesome seeing how WCW buried him after he was ECW World Champion but I recall in Death of WCW Bryan quotes Bam Bam saying "i was getting my check so I didn't give a poo poo."

I know two things about the backstage dealings of ECW:
1. Drugs were everywhere, maybe even more than in WWF or WCW.
2. Heyman owed everybody money and they mostly stuck around out of loyalty or because they liked him or something.

So I guess it sucks Awesome was used so poorly but I would hope that, even if WCW in 2000 could do nothing else right, it could at least pay its wrestles.

It’s amazing Heyman isn’t in jail for racketeering.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
What’s weird is they made Awesome do gimmicks like the Fat Chick Thriller and That 70s Guy but they seemed to be trying to push him at the same time, like he’s winning matches and is in storylines as though he weren’t a comedy wrestler.

Late WCW was the most baffling poo poo of all time.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Awesome was such a great big match wrestler, its so wild they they didn't try to make him the new goldberg.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!
JFC, I totally forgot that he actually slid off. I remembered it as someone saving him last second.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

:stare:

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

It's loving wild that Juggalos and Furries were our mortal enemies and only when the fascist takeover of the U.S.'s government happened did we realize we were the assholes.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

davidbix posted:

JFC, I totally forgot that he actually slid off. I remembered it as someone saving him last second.

it's hilarious that the one time mike awesome did a super safe powerbomb that this happened

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Poor Awesome was *trying* to keep him from falling off but it was too late

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

it's hilarious that the one time mike awesome did a super safe powerbomb that this happened

never forget

https://twitter.com/Toffile/status/986760562100105216

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Mike Awesome is the dangerous worker people pretend Goldberg was.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!
Didn't Vamp get power bombed on the floor in that match, too?

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
THE BUS HAS BEEN WASHED!!!

The whole thing was just so weird. They paid an incredible amount of money to sign Awesome in the first place, causing significant controversy with the ECW title in the process, and then put him in a feud with Kevin Nash where he consistently looked like a complete goober, followed swiftly by the Fat Chick Thriller and That '70s Guy. Were those gimmicks legitimately supposed to help him and be good characters, or did WCW just hem and haw when they discovered (after signing him, naturally) that his main strength was recklessly throwing guys around so they could take nasty bumps for him?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hedgehog Pie posted:

THE BUS HAS BEEN WASHED!!!

The whole thing was just so weird. They paid an incredible amount of money to sign Awesome in the first place, causing significant controversy with the ECW title in the process, and then put him in a feud with Kevin Nash where he consistently looked like a complete goober, followed swiftly by the Fat Chick Thriller and That '70s Guy. Were those gimmicks legitimately supposed to help him and be good characters, or did WCW just hem and haw when they discovered (after signing him, naturally) that his main strength was recklessly throwing guys around so they could take nasty bumps for him?

Russo thought it would get him over, iirc, instead of just killing fools.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I loved Ron Simmons basically his entire career. Always looked like he was just killing people

it was not, sadly.

includes nWo mandate :ohdear:

The Diamond Studd, for you young'uns

the best flash in the pan cruiserweight ever

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

lol that WWF-rear end logo on the ring apron

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Erik Watts looks completely fed up with this poo poo and that is amazingly WCW

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
One of those Watts autographed cards sold for $68.95 once on eBay. That whole set is highly priced because authenticated autographs of that era are rare, and that set was released in a very WCW way, ie botched.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

even botched the price by 5c

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

It's loving wild that Juggalos and Furries were our mortal enemies and only when the fascist takeover of the U.S.'s government happened did we realize we were the assholes.
Juggalo hate was just a way to publicly hate poor people in a way that let you pretend it was about something else...same way some people hate wrestling.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Randaconda posted:

I loved Ron Simmons basically his entire career. Always looked like he was just killing people
Simmons beating Vader for the World Title was one of my biggest markouts as a kid

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Better Than You posted:

Simmons beating Vader for the World Title was one of my biggest markouts as a kid

I hated that during his run they changed his finisher from the Spinebuster to a powerslam.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

dsriggs posted:

lol that WWF-rear end logo on the ring apron

I wonder if it's possible to pinpoint the moment where their entire graphic design team quit/was fired. Probably shortly before the birdshit logo?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I can't stop looking at Alex Wright's dick.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Pope Corky the IX posted:

:yeah:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
That's the Wall, brother

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Tbf this was me before that picture was even posted.

Also, I feel like I'm missing something big but who are these two?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Tbf this was me before that picture was even posted.

Also, I feel like I'm missing something big but who are these two?

Vampiro