Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Turin Turambar posted:

.... How (and why) do you watch a video while playing a game??

I think it's more like listening to a podcast, with a visual element that allows you to focus on it visually as needed

I think I watched all three seasons of original star trek, first three seasons of next generation, and all seven seasons of the west wing, all while playing minecraft during it's peak in-between jobs a decade ago. But on my second monitor. Talky shows like that have more dialog than action and plays out like a podcast than a michael bay movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time

Captain Hygiene posted:

Hi VR thread, maybe you can offer me some advice. I have an Odyssey+ (hey, it was cheap) that I've been exploring the last couple weekends. Last weekend it was all working, then I stupidly followed SteamVR's advice to update my graphics drivers which broke everything, then I refreshed my Windows installation and got things mostly working again over the last few days.

But today I was trying to get back in to Boneworks, and while it worked before, now when I go into the main game the headset display just shuts off after ten or twenty seconds. I still get audio and the tracking is working, because the computer screen still shows my mirrored display as if it's working fine. I haven't found much help online except for suggestions it's a cabling/seating connection issue, but I don't *think* that's the case because as far as I can tell the display immediately works fine again switching back to the WMR portal, and I've been screwing around with other SteamVR stuff without that happening. I can also run around in the Boneworks intro room without that happening. Anyone seen anything similar, in that game specifically, or as a more general issue that might crop up elsewhere?

Is it just Boneworks? This seems to be a pretty common issue on r/windowsmr. I guess make sure you are on the beta branches of both SteamVR and Windows Mixed Reality for SteamVR.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Inacio posted:

125 brl. for comparison, HL:Alyx (which i believe is the most expensive VR game down here) is 99 (and is a proper single player full campaign game).

other expensive titles are TWD at 75 and Arizona Sunshine at 73.

Beat Saber and Boneworks are 58; Pavlov, 48; Blade and Sorcery is just 38, which seems to be what most other popular VR games cost.

While not for this game specifically in China, some games have miscalculated exchange rates or something and end up being ridiculously overpriced. Maybe the same is happening for you

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Captain Hygiene posted:

Samsung odyssey issues?

I hate to say it but that's what was happening to my HP WMR headset before I had it replaced. It worked fine for a month and then would stop functioning after a minute of being plugged in and working normally. Troubleshooting it drove me nuts before I just went back to the store and swapped it out (was in the month return period)

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Well if you want proof the Half-Life Alyx screenshots are real in-game footage and not bullshots, there's a classic Source missing-asset ERROR visible in the top-left of one of the screenshots that someone missed when taking them. :allears:

(The first image with the combine soldier and a warehouse in the background, top-left, above the window)

that had to be intentional.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Just played through Toran. It's a fun little puzzle demo.

Took me about 10 minutes and the puzzles were fun (and easy). The game is free and well worth the short amount of your time it takes to play through it.

Goodguy3
Aug 11, 2016

"What?! I'm not tangled up like this for fun, you know!"
Crisis VRigade is kind of fun. Extremely frustrating at first but eventually you get a feel for it. It's a blast if you somehow manage to match with one or two other people.

..Mission 3 is still bullshit though, like, right at the very beginning.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

shrach posted:

Is it just Boneworks? This seems to be a pretty common issue on r/windowsmr. I guess make sure you are on the beta branches of both SteamVR and Windows Mixed Reality for SteamVR.

I will take a look on there, I didn't think to look for that subreddit after my searches found boneworks and more general steamvr stuff.

Penpal posted:

I hate to say it but that's what was happening to my HP WMR headset before I had it replaced. It worked fine for a month and then would stop functioning after a minute of being plugged in and working normally. Troubleshooting it drove me nuts before I just went back to the store and swapped it out (was in the month return period)

Ugh, I sure hope not. I've only seen it on that one specific game so far, so I'm really hoping it's not on the hardware end.

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

i learned it from watching you
I tried Project Cars 2 for a minute in VR last night and it took a total of 30 seconds of gameplay to make me motion sick. Guess that's out.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

AndrewP posted:

It's not as good. Way worse framerate, for one. But the bigger sin is that it doesn't let me watch Youtube on a big window above everyone's heads while playing poker.

I can't believe they haven't added the Quest Link mic yet. It's such a basic feature.

The audio part is the most complicated part of how Quest Link works. They have to install fake virtual audio devices (oculus headphones, oculus microphone) on the PC with their own drivers, and then somehow feed them data taken from the PC or from the Quest and pass them along to the drivers of the virtual devices, making Windows believe it's normal audio of normal audio devices. The idea is that the solution should be universal and the games themselves believe it's just a normal pc speaker or microphone. If they would be trying to only support games on the Oculus store with their own Oculus api, the solution would be less complex.

I just finished Lone Echo. I got right something the huge spaceship wasn't really alien although of course I couldn't guess the nature of the real plot twist: time travel. It is a very promising setup for the next game, with our protagonist suddenly thrown 400 years into the future in 'interesting times', in the middle of what it seems to be an interstellar war with an unknown enemy'. If they want, it's a good enough plot to make a quadrilogy of games, or whatever.
Coming back to the game itself, I actually found a pair of bugs (I had to use a energy router 3 times to make one of the connected devices properly, and a physics bug in a battery recharged trapped the battery in a inaccessible place), which is a bit disappointing given the number of interactive things in the game is kinda low.
Also, in truth the game shows by example how if you are pursuing maximum VR immersion, then the expensive part of video games (photo realistic graphics, super detailed game world, well done animated, captured facial performances, etc) are even more important than in normal 2d games, where it's more 'pretty!' 'ohh!' 'uhh shiny!' effect, while in VR it's really noticeable when an aspect of the game isn't lacking in that regard.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Good grief, I thought Skyrim VR support was bad. I can't even start Elite in VR. I have to run through a bunch of menus with my monitor and mouse before getting to VR anything. Been at it for 20 minutes (including running through their aggravating account linking process) and have yet to be able to send a single command with my vive wands.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

LLSix posted:

Good grief, I thought Skyrim VR support was bad. I can't even start Elite in VR. I have to run through a bunch of menus with my monitor and mouse before getting to VR anything. Been at it for 20 minutes (including running through their aggravating account linking process) and have yet to be able to send a single command with my vive wands.

I’m pretty sure E:D has 0 support for motion controls. They would be incredibly ineffective.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

eonwe posted:

wow tetris effect is baller as hell

eonwe posted:

wow tetris effect is baller as hell

For a second I thought this meant it was on quest

I have it on ps4 and borrowed a psvr to try it out and honestly wow

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

rage-saq posted:

I’m pretty sure E:D has 0 support for motion controls. They would be incredibly ineffective.

Yep. Needed to switch to my gamepad.

Not easy on my inner ear, but veeeery pretty.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I have it on ps4 and borrowed a psvr to try it out and honestly wow

its on epic games store, thats where I got it

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

rage-saq posted:

I have not tried it yet, but there is this:

https://github.com/dantman/elite-vr-cockpit

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

God I would love Touch support for E:D. I'd actually play it, for one.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

As people have commented before, Asgard's Wrath is truly a game-rear end game. But not only in comparison with other VR games, I would say even in comparison with traditional non-VR games. The super tutorialized first hours, the upgrade everything philosophy, all the collectathon and weak side quests, the repeated minigames (hit 5 shields in 30secs!) as challenges, the character armor upgrades that just give you extra health, etc.

Also, can anyone say to me if there is a trick to parry the stupid enemies? I feel as if I'm doing something wrong, I only parry 1 in 3 attacks on average. I'm not sure if I'm doing it too early or too late or maybe I have to change the direction of the swing... really not a fan of this arbitrary system as one of the central pillars for the combat.

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.
I bought the VR humble bundle a couple days ago. One of the games is Budget Cuts. I played about 3 minutes and got frustrated with the extremely crappy teleporter system they've got going. Is there a way to turn on smooth locotion?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

ijii posted:

I bought the VR humble bundle a couple days ago. One of the games is Budget Cuts. I played about 3 minutes and got frustrated with the extremely crappy teleporter system they've got going. Is there a way to turn on smooth locotion?

It’s an intentional mechanic of the game. If you could just walk around it would trivialize the game.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

GutBomb posted:

It’s an intentional mechanic of the game. If you could just walk around it would trivialize the game.

Yep.
The basic design of the game was done before people figured out that smooth locomotion can work on a large scale, so they built the mechanics around it.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I thought the teleport system was great in Budget Cuts. Being able to peak through before you warp is brilliant.

i must compose
Jul 4, 2010

Until the lions have their own historians, the history of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.
It's going to be patched in along with improvements from the sequel.

Chomposaur
Feb 28, 2010

caldrax posted:

I think Chomposaur is referring to the same headphones but that because of their range of motion, when they do extreme movements they change positions so they aren't directly facing the ears. I haven't had this problem, but it sounds like they're loose? I don't know if there's a way to tighten them, I haven't attempted that as mine have been fine.

Late response but yeah that's my issue, the most noticeable is ducking under obstacles in Beat Saber, the headphones swing away and I can barely hear the music anymore. Apparently it's something people have found a workaround for so maybe i'll give that a shot:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ValveIndex/comments/cf8jpe/simple_mod_ordering_part_required_to_fix_drooping/

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

If you can't tighten them, I'd rma it, they're not supposed to move easily.

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

i learned it from watching you

caldrax posted:

Has anyone gotten past "When the Levee Breaks Part 3" in Walking Dead?

I *think* I know approximately where I'm supposed to go but it's in a base in the ward that's crawling with dudes who aggro as soon as I get within the area. I thought maybe I could pick them off bit by bit, come back later/repeat, but I tried this and they repopulate if you leave and come back (so does the loot though, thankfully). The drawing is of this building with a truck next to it, and an arrow pointing seemingly between the truck and the building, but from what I can tell that's *right in the middle* of the place, and it's just crawling with guards. I'm getting better at headshotting them in VR but there are so many and just one of me... any tips welcome.

In case anyone is suffering like me, I looked up a tip because I got sick of dying here I guess if you wait for the bell, the npcs take off so you're only facing zombies, so it's easier to traverse. I haven't tried it yet but I'm gonna go back in shortly I think.

Also Chomposaur: someone pointed out after your post that they have tiny torx screws that you might be able to tighten? Worth a shot.

edit: I also realized I was talking about the wrong quest, above, it's the tower and the tomb part 3... I think? Something like that.

edit 2: Got it done, waiting for the bell to toll was crucial. Will remember that for any future missions, though on the way out the hordes were thiccc I ended up dual wielding with a shiv I found on site and a knife I'd been carrying, really felt like a badass there for a bit.

God, every time I dive into this thing I love it, it's just so much more intense of an experience than playing a game on a normal screen, I'm still in awe. I do want to play some stuff with nice environments though at some point, the dark damp New Orleans atmosphere and the polygonal intensity of Superhot leave something to be desired in that regard. If anyone has any suggestions for games with more pleasant environments, I'd be happy to hear them.

caldrax fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Feb 17, 2020

Shoefish
Sep 29, 2005
captain haggis mcnipplesworthy

caldrax posted:

In case anyone is suffering like me, I looked up a tip because I got sick of dying here I guess if you wait for the bell, the npcs take off so you're only facing zombies, so it's easier to traverse. I haven't tried it yet but I'm gonna go back in shortly I think.

Also Chomposaur: someone pointed out after your post that they have tiny torx screws that you might be able to tighten? Worth a shot.

edit: I also realized I was talking about the wrong quest, above, it's the tower and the tomb part 3... I think? Something like that.

edit 2: Got it done, waiting for the bell to toll was crucial. Will remember that for any future missions, though on the way out the hordes were thiccc I ended up dual wielding with a shiv I found on site and a knife I'd been carrying, really felt like a badass there for a bit.

God, every time I dive into this thing I love it, it's just so much more intense of an experience than playing a game on a normal screen, I'm still in awe. I do want to play some stuff with nice environments though at some point, the dark damp New Orleans atmosphere and the polygonal intensity of Superhot leave something to be desired in that regard. If anyone has any suggestions for games with more pleasant environments, I'd be happy to hear them.

Windlands 2 is a pretty pleasant place to explore. Grappling around is excellent fun.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I thought the grappling physics of Windlands 2 made it very unfun, but maybe it's just me.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

I found I really had to go into Windlands options menu and tweak the swing physics to my liking, and there are a ton of variables to change.

Still spent 10x more time in Jet Island

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Asgard's Wrath is starting to irritate me. Once you finish the main quests of an area, there are still a bunch of sidequests, challenges, etc ok? But when you finish it the area is 'revitalized' which is code word for 'enemies spawn again'. Not only spawn once, but they seem to spawn... forever. So I'm trying to finish some challenges, in some cases going back and forth looking for a puzzle or where to do a miniquest, and enemies appear again and again and again. And this isn't a game where you an dispatch them with a few mouse clicks, this is a VR game so every time is an involved process of swinging, parries, etc. It really is not something adequate for a VR game. Never mind the fact that the combat itself is very one note and you fight the same three enemies.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

That's what I played it on.. Tetris Effect will run well on lower spec PCs and will Oculus Link / Virtual Desktop to the Quest just fine. Oculus Link seems ideal since it's a sit-down at your desk kind of game with no locomotion; the wire doesn't get in the way.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

caldrax posted:

Jet Island is a wonder.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Over on Chaturbate, there's a girl doing shows with a full-body tracked anime avatar, looks like she's retooling VRChat for this. And there's like 10K+ people watching, every time.

Brave new world.

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011
This proof of concept for Quest's hand tracking looks pretty cool: https://old.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/f5vc9i/this_looks_interesting_as_heck/

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

jubjub64 posted:

This proof of concept for Quest's hand tracking looks pretty cool: https://old.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/f5vc9i/this_looks_interesting_as_heck/

It is.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

20 minutes of the The Room VR game. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dc_OpmYvQHo

It looks like very ... The Room. So good puzzle game, although on the other hand, it seems a very straightforward adaption to VR, including the fixed teleportation system. I was hoping to have a bit more of freedom in the rooms.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Ralith posted:

Jet Island is a wonder.

yes but not for the environment unless you've always want to explore an upscaled sega saturn quality landscape. it's good for the movement and being the closest thing to Being Spiderman (if spiderman wasn't in a city and had a hoverboard)

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

The Walrus posted:

yes but not for the environment unless you've always want to explore an upscaled sega saturn quality landscape. it's good for the movement and being the closest thing to Being Spiderman (if spiderman wasn't in a city and had a hoverboard)

as someone who grew up with Short Circutz playing late at night while I fought to stay awake, these weird 3D animated shorts would stretch themselves from my waking life and blanket over my dreams

and I watched a lot of Reboot, Beasties, and Shadow Raiders too. So I don't really mind the 90's digital void that Jet Island fits into. You can also put on your own music to really get into the 90's vibe

something like the RAMA soundtrack or Visions of the Past would be good

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Combat Pretzel posted:

Over on Chaturbate, there's a girl doing shows with a full-body tracked anime avatar, looks like she's retooling VRChat for this. And there's like 10K+ people watching, every time.

Brave new world.

Finally we can replace women with pure anime waifus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
when we all have ar eye inserts, we'll be able to overlay people's appearance with whatever we want. so your partner can look like anyone/anything you desire. just imagine the implications of this. hellworld is on the way.