Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

I learned that from the Hanukkah Song.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Canadian Jews trained in classical Shakespearean acting have had a really outsized effect on American culture. Its kinda inspiring.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Epicurius posted:

Jewish Leonard Nimoy and William Shatner. People tend to forget that Shatner's Jewish, for some reason.
i only knew nimoy was jewish because of an interview where he said about the llap hand gesture being adapted from an old hebrew greeting

i didnt know about shat himself but im british so judaism and awareness of it really is not such a thing over here

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

1x011 - Haven
  • A talking suitcase that explodes sending jewels all over the place is pretty original to be fair.
  • Rather interesting how despite the Federation's lofty moral standards, their member worlds appear to have some rather antiquated societal constructs. Betazoids having aristocracy and engaging in arranged marriages for example.
  • The woman on the plague ship is 80's as gently caress.
  • Horndog Roddenberry strikes again - Betazoids conduct wedding ceremonies in the nude, because of course they do.
  • It's ok I guess, worth watching for Lwaxana and character building for Troi.

1x012 - The Big Goodbye
  • This episode is a powerful combination of dealing with an unreasonably picky civilisation and the classic holodeck malfunction.
  • So once again the Federation is having to acquiesce to the incredibly specific demands of an alien race they want to make contact with for some reason. This time you have to greet them using their traditional greeting and if you get even the slightest bit of pronounciation wrong then so help me god.
  • Like really, who honestly expects something like that? What is so important about these petty miserable fucks that the Federation has to bend over backwards for the slightest things just to talk to them?
  • So not only are these aliens a bunch of arseholes, but they send a probe that damages the functions of the Enterprise and nearly leads to the death of one of her crew.
  • If I was CNC of Starfleet I'd be all like "You know what? Get hosed. Stay in your own loving star system if thats how you want to be, we're going to make friends with all the civilisations who aren't a massive bunch of pricks."
  • I've seen people criticise Picard for spending a fair chunk of the staff meeting talking about his new holo-program, but having been in many staff meetings where the managers spend half the time talking about football or something on TV I have to say its probably the most realistic part of the episode.
  • Just lol at Picard taking an expert in 20th century history with him into the holodeck. Next time I play The Witcher III I'll see if I can get an export in the Polish middle ages on Discord or something.
  • When the poo poo hits the fan there are a few logic gaps. Both parties inside and outside the holodeck are aware they're stuck inside and are actively trying to get out. So why not cut the power to the holodeck? Cut the doors open? Beam the people inside the holodeck to the transporter room?
  • Despite all this I think this episode is actually really good. While it has its problems, the acting is superb across the board (with a guest appearence by Lawrence Tierney who apparently terrorised Wil Wheaton on set) and its clear the cast is having a lot of fun.
  • While present, the picky aliens and Wesley wunderkind shite is kept to a minimum which really helps. Definitely falls into the very entertaining but don't think too hard about it.

1x013 - Datalore
  • gently caress yeah more character building.
  • Data literally has an evil twin - sans beard.
  • The music is loving on point this episode apart from that one bit where Lore smacks Worf about in the turbolift.
  • Maybe its because I'm older and more paternal these days, but knowing what it was, the children's drawings of the Crystalline Entity attacking hit suprisingly hard. :smith:
  • Given his actions historically and in this episode, Lore really is an evil prick. Arguably one of the most irredeemable characters in the show.
  • However, could he be any more suspicious once he assumes Data's place? "Hello, I am your friend Data, not Lore. Lore is on the floor over there, because he is Lore and I am Data. Note that slight facial tick he has? That is because he is Lore, with the tick, and not me. For I am Data."
  • Of course only Wesley to begin with picks up on the fact its obviously not Data, and of course none of the adults apart from his mother believe him.
  • "Shut up Wesley."
  • Another decent episode, it has its flaws but it provides some great character backstory for Data as well as seeding plot points that will be used in the future.

While not perfect, things are definitely on the up, lets hope this streak continues.

Next up, 1x014 - Angel One.

Oh noooooooooooooooooo.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Lord Ludikrous you're gonna hurt yourself if you don't slow down.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

I vaguely recall the reason they didn't simply shutdown the holodeck was because they implied that the people inside would get vaporized or something if they did.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
There a viewer's guide for TNG? Feel like I could watch more skipping the dreck.

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:
I know people joke about TOS being sexist, but I was not expecting their variation on a “planet that grants wishes” plot (Shore Leave) to start with Kirk getting to slap his rival, Sulu getting a cool gun, Bones seeing a white rabbit... and the only woman who beams down being nearly raped? :staredog: It’s a bit much

Syrnn
Aug 16, 2004

You expected 1966 to provide something else?

Re: Nimoy and Judaism, there's a cute story Nimoy tells about the origin of the Vulcan hand salute being something he observed at a closed service at his grandfather's synagogue. The gesture is a blessing made by priests during blessings on certain high holidays and is actually the letter ש (shin), for Shaddai, one of the names of God. :jewish:

Jows
May 8, 2002

Poison Mind posted:

You expected 1966 to provide something else?

Re: Nimoy and Judaism, there's a cute story Nimoy tells about the origin of the Vulcan hand salute being something he observed at a closed service at his grandfather's synagogue. The gesture is a blessing made by priests during blessings on certain high holidays and is actually the letter ש (shin), for Shaddai, one of the names of God. :jewish:

I went to a Jewish/Christian cross-denominational wedding a few years back. When the rabbi blessed the new couple I noticed he put his hands in the V when he laid his hands on their heads. I knew about it's origins in Jewish ritual from that Nimoy story, but it was fun to see it first hand.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The General posted:

Lord Ludikrous you're gonna hurt yourself if you don't slow down.
Better to breeze through the first two seasons TBH

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

also the amount of times they implied that the federation did not have the money to evacuate and resettle the romulans its like they are a post resource economy you stupid loving cunts aagh i hate picard i really loving hate it

even my wife has been complaining that it answers absolutely nothing, it just piles pointless pseudodeep questions on top of each other and then has a 12 year olds first fanfic crew refuse to talk about their tragic backstory

i am willing to bet if you searched 'cool elf with a sword' on deviantart at least half of the results would look like that romulan nun guy

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Bobby Deluxe posted:

also the amount of times they implied that the federation did not have the money to evacuate and resettle the romulans its like they are a post resource economy you stupid loving cunts aagh i hate picard i really loving hate it

even my wife has been complaining that it answers absolutely nothing, it just piles pointless pseudodeep questions on top of each other and then has a 12 year olds first fanfic crew refuse to talk about their tragic backstory

i am willing to bet if you searched 'cool elf with a sword' on deviantart at least half of the results would look like that romulan nun guy

I...don’t think it was a money issue. It was a resource issue, implying they just didn’t have the time, bodies, and replication power to get the task done on time. I took it as more of a physical limitation than an economic one.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
they can't replicate ships or crews. well actually they could, but they don't want to.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Bobby Deluxe posted:

i hate picard i really loving hate it

Sounds like it's a good thing I didn't cave in and get All Access last week

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Bobby Deluxe posted:

shat himself

Lmao

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Bobby Deluxe posted:

getting jewish leonard nimoy to dress in a nazi uniform was certainly one of the more uncomfortable moments in a show that also included implied rape, people trafficking and psychic roofies

when you put it that way it sounds a lot like modern prestige TV

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Captain, I'm detecting huge amounts of sodium chloride on the long and close range sensors!

tbh this is so loving funny in its stupidity that I'm not even going to argue it

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
Not only is Shatner a Canadian Jew, he’s from Quebec and can actually speak French IIRC, which is also quite at odds with the extremely American Kirk persona

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
Kirk speaking French would have been the sexiest thing ever aired on television so I can understand them not doing that in the 60s

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

AntherUslessPoster posted:

Captain, I'm detecting huge amounts of sodium chloride on the long and close range sensors!

tbh this is so loving funny in its stupidity that I'm not even going to argue it

Keep in mind I don't hate the show but it's pretty tepid so far and I think it's telling the people defending it the most around here are the quickest to poo poo on somebody else for not digging it

Elsewhere online the loudest trekkies are usually the worst people and if they've been listened to I think that probably explains a lot about the kinds of stories Star Trek keeps trying tell these days sadly

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Tighclops posted:

Keep in mind I don't hate the show but it's pretty tepid so far and I think it's telling the people defending it the most around here are the quickest to poo poo on somebody else for not digging it

Elsewhere online the loudest trekkies are usually the worst people and if they've been listened to I think that probably explains a lot about the kinds of stories Star Trek keeps trying tell these days sadly

As good as DS9 is, I think it really is the catalyst for the kinds of stories DIS and PIC are attempting. I remember when Enterprise was airing, and people were clamoring for a darker, more serialized and “mature” series - like DS9 was. This gave us the Xindi arc, which believe it or not, was really well received at the time. In the interim between Enterprise and Disco, DS9 gained that mythical cult status. Coupled with the financial success of JJTrek, you got a bunch of writers and producers slamming together the darker edge that they thought fans would eat up (while missing the point to varying degrees) with the flashy direction of the recent movies.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

HD DAD posted:

I...don’t think it was a money issue. It was a resource issue, implying they just didn’t have the time, bodies, and replication power to get the task done on time. I took it as more of a physical limitation than an economic one.

Yeah, like, the Federation isn't Q - billions and billions of people over many many worlds? Even the Culture would have issues, the Federation isn't omnipotent

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

Tighclops posted:

I'm okay with any argument if its at least has reason in it. That guy there outright went 'I wasn't watching or paying any attention whatsoever but gently caress it'.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Delthalaz posted:

Not only is Shatner a Canadian Jew, he’s from Quebec and can actually speak French IIRC, which is also quite at odds with the extremely American Kirk persona

He's from Montreal, but I'm pretty sure he was an Anglo and speaks really poo poo french, if he hasn't forgotten it all by now

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
DS9 was not as intensely grimdark as it's made out to be. There was always bits of levity and low stakes B plots in even some of the heavier episodes.

Typical DS9 episode:

Sisko, Odo, and Dax stand in front of a pile of corpses in the midst of a bunch of smoking rubble. A cloaked figure approaches with a bunch of kids. It points at Sisko and says "You must decide which of these children will die!!" Sisko looks at us, dramatic sting.

Credits

Commercials

Cut to DS9. Bashir walks into Quark's with O Brien. They can't figure out what kind of cake they should get for Worf's birthday party!

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

DS9 was not as intensely grimdark as it's made out to be. There was always bits of levity and low stakes B plots in even some of the heavier episodes.

Typical DS9 episode:

Sisko, Odo, and Dax stand in front of a pile of corpses in the midst of a bunch of smoking rubble. A cloaked figure approaches with a bunch of kids. It points at Sisko and says "You must decide which of these children will die!!" Sisko looks at us, dramatic sting.

Credits

Commercials

Cut to DS9. Bashir walks into Quark's with O Brien. They can't figure out what kind of cake they should get for Worf's birthday party!

A cellular peptide cake with mint frosting, how is this a question

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

AntherUslessPoster posted:

I'm okay with any argument if its at least has reason in it. That guy there outright went 'I wasn't watching or paying any attention whatsoever but gently caress it'.

And yet they still managed to be right on the money with Picard's fundamental problems.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I always think of DS9 as the Watchmen of its time. It took something that was, in general, light and playful, and delivered a much darker and grittier version of it and became very popular. Executives seized on it being dark and gritty and decided that was the sole key to its success - henceforth, things must be darker, grimmer, and all stakes must be forever turned to 11. When, like Watchmen, it actually was doing something newer with the formula beyond just being "dark" and its darkness was only ever intended to be a contrast to the light that proceeded it, not an ends to a means.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
DS9 opened the door to a darker, grittier take on the Federation. Since humanity in general is awful and pessimistic, that was enough of an excuse to ruin it. There are a lot of things that you can criticize TOS and early TNG for, but it also dared to dream that humanity as a whole could do better. It unironically posited that we can get our poo poo together and rise above racism, sexism, war, and greed. The fact that Star Trek in 2020 is less optimistic than Star Trek in the middle of the loving Cold War is loving atrocious, and I refuse to support those who want to drag this franchise into the doldrums of despair.

gently caress Discovery, gently caress Picard, and gently caress Alex Kurtzman.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
Okay, but what if Sisko had a samurai sword???

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

they can't replicate ships or crews. well actually they could, but they don't want to.

Take the federation to the place they need:

2 Rikers for every starship

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

HD DAD posted:

As good as DS9 is, I think it really is the catalyst for the kinds of stories DIS and PIC are attempting. I remember when Enterprise was airing, and people were clamoring for a darker, more serialized and “mature” series - like DS9 was. This gave us the Xindi arc, which believe it or not, was really well received at the time. In the interim between Enterprise and Disco, DS9 gained that mythical cult status. Coupled with the financial success of JJTrek, you got a bunch of writers and producers slamming together the darker edge that they thought fans would eat up (while missing the point to varying degrees) with the flashy direction of the recent movies.

Bogus Adventure posted:

DS9 opened the door to a darker, grittier take on the Federation. Since humanity in general is awful and pessimistic, that was enough of an excuse to ruin it. There are a lot of things that you can criticize TOS and early TNG for, but it also dared to dream that humanity as a whole could do better. It unironically posited that we can get our poo poo together and rise above racism, sexism, war, and greed. The fact that Star Trek in 2020 is less optimistic than Star Trek in the middle of the loving Cold War is loving atrocious, and I refuse to support those who want to drag this franchise into the doldrums of despair.

DING DING DING

Yes, absolutely, I do indeed concur wholeheartedly!

Basically all of my gripes with DS9 summed up.

alexandriao fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Feb 18, 2020

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

dudeness posted:

Okay, but what if Sisko had a samurai sword???

Who says he doesn't?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

alexandriao posted:

so what, a self-cest powered warp core?

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

ds9 was cool when it turned out that the ferenghis were kind of the most altruistic race of all

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

GolfHole posted:

ds9 was cool when it turned out that the ferenghis were kind of the most altruistic race of all

I thought it was well done that the general shifts in their society towards the end of the show weren't arbitrarily un-Ferengi in their logic; They didn't all magically turn into a perfect egalitarian society, it's just turns out that things like medical care and time off (as well as employing :females: as equal staff instead of denigrating them as property) is insanely more profitable than exploitation and near-servitude for employees.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

alexandriao posted:

Computer, activate the Emergency Riker Hologram.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Powered Descent posted:

Computer, activate the Emergency Riker Hologram.

Please state the nature of the sexual emergency

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I thought it was well done that the general shifts in their society towards the end of the show weren't arbitrarily un-Ferengi in their logic; They didn't all magically turn into a perfect egalitarian society, it's just turns out that things like medical care and time off (as well as employing :females: as equal staff instead of denigrating them as property) is insanely more profitable than exploitation and near-servitude for employees.

There's a scene in a late episode where Rom casually counters all of Quark's complaints about worker's rights, equal rights, vacation time and why all three will result in more overall profit for everyone. The takeaway I think is if you take a second to think past your gut feelings and also realize that not every damned thing has to be a zero-sum game then changing poo poo up can be very good.

Have the Ferengi turned up in Picard yet? What'd Kurtzman do to them?